• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft discussed/theorized the possibility to circumvent Sony with xCloud on PS5's web browser

GHG

Do it boys. Get gamepass EVERYWHERE. Keep the subs up, and the juicy games flowing.

So the evolution has gone from begging for games to come to the sub to now begging other people to subscribe.

Hungry Food GIF

Pitiful behaviour.

Schmick

"We have seen through telemetry someone has already tried it - but it crashed because their browser didn't support controller in the way we expected :messenger_winking:"

throw-up-dry-heave.gif

Microsoft does not care about gaming. They only care about forcing their way onto the competition's platform. Not through games, which is a legitimate pursuit as a publisher. But through nefarious, disgusting, corporate cloak and dagger manoeuvres.
What the hell are you even talking about.... its exactly the sort of thing I would be looking at too if I own a game streaming business.

DragonNCM

Ofcourse..
Anything with a web browser would be the goal.

The problem is... Xcloud sucks.

I have a 300mb connection at home and it's unplayable.
Yours 300mb connection is a shit for cloud gaming if you have more then 15ms ping. Depends of game ofc....if you play BG3 it will be ok but if you play MW 3 your aiming/movement will always be late & you will suck.

dem

Yours 300mb connection is a shit for cloud gaming if you have more then 15ms ping. Depends of game ofc....if you play BG3 it will be ok but if you play MW 3 your aiming/movement will always be late & you will suck.

Thank you... I get that.

And as a product XCloud still sucks if you aren't near a data center.

My internet connection is fine. My connection to THEM sucks. That's a Microsoft problem.

Last edited:

Goalus

"We have seen through telemetry someone has already tried it - but it crashed because their browser didn't support controller in the way we expected :messenger_winking:"

throw-up-dry-heave.gif

Microsoft does not care about gaming. They only care about forcing their way onto the competition's platform. Not through games, which is a legitimate pursuit as a publisher. But through nefarious, disgusting, corporate cloak and dagger manoeuvres.
These are the words of a deeply insecure, disgruntled individual who has nothing to look forward to in their life.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Microsoft already got ruled a gatekeeper so… 🤷‍♂️

And no it doesn’t apply to consoles yet
Microsoft, not Xbox.

Sure, Sweeney will be happy when platforms suffer and they can't recoup for first party investments or hardware R&D. Embrace the F2P and mobile styled only future to gaming.

Last edited:

Kilau

MS should send out a Blu-ray Disc with a browser app that loads to Xcloud, kinda like how Netflix got around Xbox app exclusivity on the PS3 for a short time.

Ozzie666

This is probably similar conversation to when Coleco released the Atari 2600 expansion unit for their console. Off the shelf parts? why not.

onQ123

There's one, but hidden. Which means almost nobody uses it, so it's dumb to try to find some business streaming games there.

Most people don't know they can connect their tv to internet or that it has a web browser. Or well, they simply use it on the phone/tablet or PC so don't see the point of using a browser on a tv or console.

MS prefers to don't release their games on PS to don't pay Sony the 30% cut. They are simply desperate to find GP users in any place they possibly can without paying any fee.
People who don't know they can connect their TV online will not be subscribing to gamepass lol

Robb

Gold Member
Would this really be ‘circumventing’ Sony? Isn’t XCloud (or cloud solutions in general) designed to just work through browsers on any device?

mrmustard

Banned
Your download speed has almost nothing to do with it anymore. It's your distance from hub, latency of your network, and noise level of your connection.

I have a Gigabit connection that xcloud used to not work on very well. Lots of macroblocking and unbearable input lag. I called my isp and they came out to replace my line to the house, and now it's an amazing experience.
This. I only have 50 MB, but my ping is great, because my provider's node is near.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Kinda sad how they are desperate to increase gamepass subs
But we saw reports that susbscriptions stopped growing and I hope we get a bigger decline from now on
American Horror Story Burn GIF by AHS

We saw a report that growth slowed on console, not that it stopped growing or was at risk of decline.

Is ‘sad’ the most overused word here? 😂
Execs wanting to drive revenue is now ‘desperation’. The whole Industry must be filled with desperate folks then.

MadPanda

Banned
Ofcourse..
Anything with a web browser would be the goal.

The problem is... Xcloud sucks.

I have a 300mb connection at home and it's unplayable.
The problem is its unavailability to many countries. I was able to use GeForce now since the beta and still can, and it's amazing, while xcloud is still unavailable in my country and many others. Microsoft keeps talking about 2-3 billions of gamers while they're available to half a billion.

In my opinion, xcloud has the best chance in poorer countries where consoles and high end PCs are expensive so you could use xcloud. But no, Microsoft thinks people in the most developed countries want to use cloud and not local machines. They're so incompetent and out of touch with reality.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
It really is dumb that there’s no web browser. My fuckin Dreamcast had one. I still have the disc.
It’s PlayStations closed ecosystem, there is no need to have a browser on console, what are you going to use it for? Browsing GAF?

Anything that you are seriously going to use has a native app that functions infinitely better than a shitty browser window on your TV
Web browser opens the platform to all sorts of exploits.
Precisely

Ozriel

M$FT
Would this really be ‘circumventing’ Sony? Isn’t XCloud (or cloud solutions in general) designed to just work through browsers on any device?

Yup. GeForce Now works on Xbox. Stadia worked on Xbox browser. Nobody saw it as an insidious scheme to ‘circumvent’. And it’s easier to target devices with native controller support.

The problem is its unavailability to many countries. I was able to use GeForce now since the beta and still can, and it's amazing, while xcloud is still unavailable in my country and many others. Microsoft keeps talking about 2-3 billions of gamers while they're available to half a billion.

In my opinion, xcloud has the best chance in poorer countries where consoles and high end PCs are expensive so you could use xcloud. But no, Microsoft thinks people in the most developed countries want to use cloud and not local machines. They're so incompetent and out of touch with reality.

The irony of you accusing them of incompetence and being ‘out of touch’ meanwhile you’re completely unaware they’ve long since launched in countries like Argentina, Brazil and Chile where consoles are really pricey.

It’s also easier for NVIDiA to rollout GeForce Now since it’s really just about allocating GPUs from a market they dominate whereas MS has to prioritize a limited number of Series X boards between cloud and console sales.

Not exactly rocket science

Three

Are they too stupid to realize that almost every tv that PS5 is very likely connected to has a browser?
Anyway, cant they just, you know, release their games on Playstation if they want to reach their userbase?
Or release "a game" that has a fully functioning browser built-in?

Do i have to do the thinking for these overpaid clowns? Ill take my payment in gold Phil (real gold, not xbox gold)
As Phil has shown he doesn't like paying the fees he himself asks for so they try to circumvent that through this crap much like MS try to circumvent paying taxes.

Drew1440

PS5 doesn't even have a public facing web browser so this wouldn't have gone anywhere.

That and they would have just blocked it on their frontend anyway.
A lot of the PS3 and PS4 exploits involved using the browser, so i guess Sony hid the browser to prevent that. It is used for certain streaming apps which just point to their website.
Are they too stupid to realize that almost every tv that PS5 is very likely connected to has a browser?
Anyway, cant they just, you know, release their games on Playstation if they want to reach their userbase?
Or release "a game" that has a fully functioning browser built-in?

Do i have to do the thinking for these overpaid clowns? Ill take my payment in gold Phil (real gold, not xbox gold)
TVs don't always have gamepad controller support, and there is a large spectrum of TV manufacturers with different browser versions to cater too.

Ozriel

M$FT
As Phil has shown he doesn't like paying the fees he himself asks for so they try to circumvent that through this crap

Xbox doesn’t charge fees when people play Geforce Now games on Xbox via the Edge browser. They didn’t charge fees for people playing Stadia on Xbox. Simply users making the most of their hardware.

Now it’s a conversation about XCloud on PlayStation and it’s ‘crap’

I think we’re firmly in ‘bitch eating crackers’ territory.

MadPanda

Banned
Yup. GeForce Now works on Xbox. Stadia worked on Xbox browser. Nobody saw it as an insidious scheme to ‘circumvent’. And it’s easier to target devices with native controller support.

The irony of you accusing them of incompetence and being ‘out of touch’ meanwhile you’re completely unaware they’ve long since launched in countries like Argentina, Brazil and Chile where consoles are really pricey.

It’s also easier for NVIDiA to rollout GeForce Now since it’s really just about allocating GPUs from a market they dominate whereas MS has to prioritize a limited number of Series X boards between cloud and console sales.

Not exactly rocket science

As a customer why should I care what the underlying tech and components are? One is available in my country the other is not. That's what I care about. Xcloud was first based on Xbox one s consoles and it wasn't available. Now it's on xsx but on one s quality so they get 4 users out of one console and it still isn't available. Incompetence.

Three

Xbox doesn’t charge fees when people play Geforce Now games on Xbox via the Edge browser. They didn’t charge fees for people playing Stadia on Xbox. Simply users making the most of their hardware.

Now it’s a conversation about XCloud on PlayStation and it’s ‘crap’

I think we’re firmly in ‘bitch eating crackers’ territory.

Geforce Now or Stadia dont publish games silly, nor does it really threaten game sales on a platform like gamepass does. Maybe try reading just a little to at least get a feel for some context.

I was replying to this:

"Anyway, cant they just, you know, release their games on Playstation if they want to reach their userbase?"

And said they are trying to circumvent the fee by not releasing natively. That's what's crap. You took a snippet of my post and went on your MS good guy marketing as usual. With the very little studios under Google for Stadia they still released their games natively on other platforms btw.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
As a customer why should I care what the underlying tech and components are? One is available in my country the other is not. That's what I care about. Xcloud was first based on Xbox one s consoles and it wasn't available. Now it's on xsx but on one s quality so they get 4 users out of one console and it still isn't available. Incompetence.

No, you’re not a customer for a service that isn’t available where you live. You’d have grounds to complain as a customer if XCloud was available in your region and was a terrible experience. It’s got nothing to do with ‘underlying tech’. It’s just not available to you at the moment.

It is/was only One S quality for BC games. How the heck can it be ‘One S’ quality for current gen games? Since they moved up to Series X blades, current gen games run at XSX settings.

Incompetence.

Lmao

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Geforce Now or Stadia dont publish games silly, nor does it really threaten game sales on a platform like gamepass does. Maybe try reading just a little to at least get a feel for some context.

I was replying to this:

"Anyway, cant they just, you know, release their games on Playstation if they want to reach their userbase?"

And said they are trying to circumvent the fee by not releasing natively. That's what's crap. You took a snippet of my post and went on your MS good guy marketing as usual. With the very little studios under Google for Stadia they still released their games natively on other platforms btw.

Execs are discussing growing GamePass subscriptions. You’re here proposing they switch Xbox to a fully third party publisher instead (which would severely dampen their console sales) and getting upset at the thought of them not wanting to hand over 30% to PlayStation for games like Forza and Halo.

You cannot be serious.

What are you talking about? You could buy games on Steam and stream via GeForce Now on an Xbox console, playing with RTX4080 visual settings. Zero fees to Microsoft. You could buy games on Stadia. Either of those routes could dampen game sales on the Xbox store. And yet Microsoft is perfectly fine with that.

Maybe you should put some more thought into these things?

MadPanda

Banned
No, you’re not a customer for a service that isn’t available where you live. You’d have grounds to complain as a customer if XCloud was available in your region and was a terrible experience. It’s got nothing to do with ‘underlying tech’. It’s just not available to you at the moment.

It is/was only One S quality for BC games. How the heck can it be ‘One S’ quality for current gen games? Since they moved up to Series X blades, current gen games run at XSX settings.

Lmao
Go and read my original post. Don't argue for the sake of argument.

Three

Execs are discussing growing GamePass subscriptions. You’re here proposing they switch Xbox to a fully third party publisher instead (which would severely dampen their console sales) and getting upset at the thought of them not wanting to hand over 30% to PlayStation for games like Forza and Halo.

You cannot be serious.
Na, you're just an illiterate twat. Somebody else asked these questions not me, just read

• Anyway, cant they just, you know, release their games on Playstation if they want to reach their userbase?
  • Or release "a game" that has a fully functioning browser built-in?

I simply gave the reason MS have given to regulators as to why they don't do these things. They don't want to pay the fee for releases. That's upset you though I can see.
The irony is that MS are effectively discussing being a third party and forgoing an xbox sale in the email

"therefore they wouldn't convert into a xbox purcahser (sic) but still opportunity to get a subscriber"

and you're here discussing xbox sales as the reason why they shouldn't. They didn't expect an xbox sale in the first place. They could have done the same and had an opportunity for a sale. They just don't like paying the fee to Sony though.

What are you talking about? You could buy games on Steam and stream via GeForce Now on an Xbox console, playing with RTX4080 visual settings. Zero fees to Microsoft. You could buy games on Stadia. Either of those routes could dampen game sales on the Xbox store. And yet Microsoft is perfectly fine with that.

Maybe you should put some more thought into these things?

Maybe you should put some more thought into it and think logically. why would an xbox owner pay $70 to buy a game on Stadia to stream to an xbox in a browser? Why wouldn't they just buy the equivalent xbox game? Why did they buy an xbox in the first place? Not for a browser.

Nobody would buy an xbox, to buy their game on steam and pay monthly on top of that to rent a PC so that they can launch a browser?
They've clearly bought an xbox to play native games, not for a browser to buy the same games elsewhere. The only reason you would do this is if a game was exclusive to stadia or geforce now because it was first party, or not on the platform. What games do stadia or geforce now publish ? Guess who has been going on a buying spree for exclusive content? Not geforce now or stadia. Which one has a subscription that would dampen third party game sales on the xbox install base? Not geforce now or stadia.

Do you honestly think stadia or geforce now is/was a threat to the loss leading consoles that the likes of MS and Sony have taken big losses on establishing or are you pulling my leg?

RagnarokIV

So the evolution has gone from begging for games to come to the sub to now begging other people to subscribe.

Hungry Food GIF

Pitiful behaviour.
Alright mate, I'll release your family and put the gun down. You don't need to subscribe against your will now.

TheGrat1

Years ago it would have been dumb not to have but now what's the point when everyone has smart phones & tablets?
Even the PS3 had one. There is no good reason to go backwards on features, especially when the application is still there it is just stripped down and not easily accessible.

Last edited:

onQ123

Even the PS3 had one. There is no good reason to go backwards on features, especially when the application is still there it is just stripped down and not easily accessible.
It's a liability as you can see the someone thought that they could Trojan horse their own gaming service into the PS5 instead of selling the console they made lol.

TheGrat1

It's a liability as you can see the someone thought that they could Trojan horse their own gaming service into the PS5 instead of selling the console they made lol.
Why was it not a liability last gen? Even if someone uses it for gamepass where is Sony's disadvantage? No one buys a PS5 exclusively to use Xcloud through the browser, they are using it to play PS5 games as well.
Like I said, if someone was determined to do so they could in a roundabout way, the browser just can't handle it according to MS.

Top Bottom