• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft discussed/theorized the possibility to circumvent Sony with xCloud on PS5's web browser

Transcripts from the most recent FTC leak. It didn't go anywhere, of course, but still an interesting discussion so worth sharing here to see what GAF thinks.

image.png

image.png

It really is dumb that there’s no web browser. My fuckin Dreamcast had one. I still have the disc.
They have, but it's hidden. You can access it by sending yourself or a friend a chat message with https://www.google.com, it will embed and then you can click to open the hidden web browser.

There's even a simpler method than that without needing to message anyone.

Last edited:

Pelta88

"We have seen through telemetry someone has already tried it - but it crashed because their browser didn't support controller in the way we expected :messenger_winking:"

throw-up-dry-heave.gif

Microsoft does not care about gaming. They only care about forcing their way onto the competition's platform. Not through games, which is a legitimate pursuit as a publisher. But through nefarious, disgusting, corporate cloak and dagger manoeuvres.

Last edited:

LordCBH

How would they when you can’t normally access the ps5 web browser? PS4 had one but it sucked major ass and couldn’t even handle streaming videos.

ManaByte

"We have seen through telemetry someone has already tried it - but it crashed because their browser didn't support controller in the way we expected :messenger_winking:"

Microsoft does not care about gaming. They only care about forcing their way onto the competition's platform. Not through games, which is a legitimate pursuit as a publisher. But through nefarious, disgusting, corporate cloak and dagger manoeuvres.

How dare they want to let people access games from any web browser.

acm2000

They need more data centers. I'm in the middle of Canada... i have no idea where the nearest xcloud servers are. But i guarantee they are far.

IF the product doesn't work.. its still an MS problem.
They need to get it working everywhere.
what do you think theyve been doing the last 3 years? this is why there were no series x to buy for ages, they were diverting production to server blades, they cant magic this shit to cover the entire globe, its still a niche market.

works great in the uk.

T4keD0wN

Are they too stupid to realize that almost every tv that PS5 is very likely connected to has a browser?
Anyway, cant they just, you know, release their games on Playstation if they want to reach their userbase?
Or release "a game" that has a fully functioning browser built-in?

Do i have to do the thinking for these overpaid clowns? Ill take my payment in gold Phil (real gold, not xbox gold)

Last edited:

Zuzu

so you have a shit ping, thats not MS fault thats your local area/isp

It could also be because there isn’t a server close enough to him. It’s Microsoft’s responsibility to bring the service to the customer not the customer’s responsibility to move house to use the service properly. MS might need to build more servers.

yurinka

It really is dumb that there’s no web browser. My fuckin Dreamcast had one. I still have the disc.
There's one, but hidden. Which means almost nobody uses it, so it's dumb to try to find some business streaming games there.

Are they too stupid to realize that almost every tv that PS5 is very likely connected to has a browser?
Anyway, cant they just, you know, release their games on Playstation if they want to reach their userbase?

Do i have to do the thinking for these overpaid clowns? Ill take my payment in gold Phil (real gold, not xbox gold)
Most people don't know they can connect their tv to internet or that it has a web browser. Or well, they simply use it on the phone/tablet or PC so don't see the point of using a browser on a tv or console.

MS prefers to don't release their games on PS to don't pay Sony the 30% cut. They are simply desperate to find GP users in any place they possibly can without paying any fee.

Last edited:

dem

what do you think theyve been doing the last 3 years? this is why there were no series x to buy for ages, they were diverting production to server blades, they cant magic this shit to cover the entire globe, its still a niche market.

works great in the uk.

Yeah.... I don't believe that... at all.

Xcloud has a server capacity of 5,000 users.. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Theyre diverting a major percentage of the production of their console... for a niche product that only supports 5000 users?

Sure they are.

Last edited:

acm2000

Yeah.... I don't believe that... at all.

Xcloud has a server capacity of 5,000 users.. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Theyre diverting a major percentage of the production of their console... for a niche product that only supports 5000 users?

Sure they are.
xcloud supports a lot more than 5000 users.... that number was just for the UK and xblades are in 50+ azure servers now

Last edited:

dem

xcloud supports a lot more than 5000 users.... that number was just for the UK and xblades are in 50+ azure servers now

Fair. You're probably right about the UK.

I'd love to know the highest concurrent Xcloud user count. I bet its very low.

acm2000

Fair. You're probably right about the UK.

I'd love to know the highest concurrent Xcloud user count. I bet its very low.
in the uk you can get queued very easily, especially on tuesdays when the new reward tasks come out :LOL: i always wait till wed/thur to do the tasks if the games needed are on xcloud or just download them since doesnt take long on 300mb

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

throw-up-dry-heave.gif

man, how is any of this nefarious?

They don’t block Geforce Now or Moonlight streaming or whatever on the Xbox browser. You’re going up in flames over execs wondering if the PS5 browser can run XCloud and thus could help attract more subscribers.

Where’s the ‘corporate cloak and dagger’ stuff here?

There’s a whole lot of strategy to be explored before talking about MS going third party.

And you truly think Microsoft will be allowed to release a stub for a web browser on PSN?

MarkMe2525

Ofcourse..
Anything with a web browser would be the goal.

The problem is... Xcloud sucks.

I have a 300mb connection at home and it's unplayable.
Your download speed has almost nothing to do with it anymore. It's your distance from hub, latency of your network, and noise level of your connection.

I have a Gigabit connection that xcloud used to not work on very well. Lots of macroblocking and unbearable input lag. I called my isp and they came out to replace my line to the house, and now it's an amazing experience.

dem

Your download speed has almost nothing to do with it anymore. It's your distance from hub, latency of your network, and noise level of your connection.

I have a Gigabit connection that xcloud used to not work on very well. Lots of macroblocking and unbearable input lag. I called my isp and they came out to replace my line to the house, and now it's an amazing experience.

Oh.. I'm positive its due to distance from the hub.

This is old news regurgitated to create a new type of outrage. We’ve known for a long time they were upgrading the server blades from XBO to XSX hardware at that time.
I'm specifically talking about Phil going on record that they've cut the xCloud investment for Fiscal Year 2023 which is new information that came from the recent leaks.

Last edited:

ManaByte

I'm specifically talking about Phil going on record that they've cut the xCloud investment for Fiscal Year 2023 which is new information that came from the recent leaks.

From a clickbait story claiming “MS has given up on cloud gaming”. Like I said, we’ve known they were upgrading the server blades with XSX hardware previously. Once that was done you obviously don’t have to keep pouring money into it as they just need to be maintained now.

acm2000

It is not MS fault but it is their problem if they want to push the streaming future.
how are they pushing it? its a bonus feature for ultimate users only, if they were pushing it they would have a streaming only box out already but they know the servers arent there to cope yet hence why that box is shelved for now

twilo99

Even if Sony put a browser on the PS5, which I guess they claim it’s too much of a security concern for them, they will 100% block any sort of xbox experience on the PS5.

Can’t wait for Sony to launch their cloud service and see if Microsoft does the same on the Xbox, which has a chromium based browser.. I doubt they will block Sony’s service on it but we will see

Last edited:
Top Bottom