• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Call of Duty and other popular AB games will continue to be released on PlayStation and Nintendo platforms beyond current agreements

Yes they are. If they're not, then they've omitted important information given the point of that section was to address exclusivity. Simple as
Nope they're not. It needs to be explicit, otherwise it's too ambiguous to count as anything close to a guarantee.

And they did address exclusivity. CoD won't be exclusive to Xbox.

Why do people keep bringing up GamePass on PS? Serious question. Sony already have sub services and are creating new ones. What would be the point in putting another sub service on their platform, especially since they would make less money by doing so?
The sheer IP power that Microsoft will own after the Activision deal goes through, as well as Zenimax is incredibly attractive to gamers and cannot be denied. If Microsoft chose the route (and it looks unlikely currently) of only allowing these IP's on its competitors platform through them using Gamepass then its a powerful persuader.

Microsoft has the superior IP's in terms of popularity, superior knowledge and infrastructure and financial backing to make a service of this kind successful. It would bring more gamers to Playstation and more Gamepass, it's a win win for everyone.

It's a guarantee. This post has gone through lawyers. They're going not going to be intentionally vague with the FTC about COD exclusivity.
Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

Leyasu

Banned
I'm sure Sony saying Destiny will keep being multiplatform was key.
michael jordan laughing GIF

Of course it was lol

If there’s anything that Microsoft would want from Sony I think that it would be their inevitable pc ports on their (Microsoft’s) pc store.

I don’t believe that one bungo franchise is enough.

Three

Azure and Office (mainly Azure). Big bet on Cloud allowed Microsoft reach this capitalization.

Keep in mind, that all other giants (Amazon partially) heavily rely on mass consumer market. Microsoft was able to reach this market cap purely on business market and servers.

Regarding Windows - Windows is open platform. Access to the sources does not make platform open - it makes it open-source. In Windows you can release whatever you want, open your own business (shop or whatever) and Microsoft won't ask you to pay % for the stuff you are developing. You can use Vulkan, DirectX and whatever. Unlike Apple or Google where you can easily die if you don't use AppStore or Google App Services.
Amazon had AWS before Azure. AWS was/is bigger than Azure.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Pump the breaks because this imo is where things get interesting. Now that CoD is under Xbox and with Sony understanding that their base would be subsidizing a huge chunk of the development of a new CoD if their players pay full price, don't be surprised if they engage in tense war for contract renewal negotiations once existing contracts expire. Instead of the typical 70/30, Sony may feel as though they can demand 60/40 or even 50/50.

Washington Wizards Bruhh GIF by NBC Sports Washington

If they do that FTC will intervene as well against Sony, pushing more than 30%. They'll just use that marketing money for other titles, mostly their own FPS games going forward, that's more than enough to do.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
The sheer IP power that Microsoft will own after the Activision deal goes through, as well as Zenimax is incredibly attractive to gamers and cannot be denied. If Microsoft chose the route (and it looks unlikely currently) of only allowing these IP's on its competitors platform through them using Gamepass then its a powerful persuader.

Microsoft has the superior IP's in terms of popularity, superior knowledge and infrastructure and financial backing to make a service of this kind successful. It would bring more gamers to Playstation and more Gamepass, it's a win win for everyone.
Honest question: aside COD, Elder Scroll and even Fallout, how the others IPs, gained via MS acquisition, can be considered superior in terms of popularity compared the sony ones, if they sold less for years? I don't follow you, superior in what?

Last edited:

Mikey Jr.

You make money buying and selling stocks? Or is it more a long term investment for you? Mate of mine has made over £300,000 in 3 years but that was crypto.

Long term? Nahhh. Don't have money I can lose tbh and not a lot I can play with

This was more if of a "hey, I can make an extra $100 from this".

Obviously Sony stock will bounce back.

Same way Bitcoin always bounces back.

I buy Bitcoin at 30k and sell at 45-50k.
I usually make around $100 to $150. But it's usually a sure bet. Not a lot of money obviously, but for me, it's a free ps5 game every few months.

Nope. There's nothing misleading about their statements.

Regulators: Will COD be exclusive to Xbox?

MS: COD will be available on PS beyond contractual agreements

MS: COD 2024 exclusively on Xbox and Gamepass

Regulators: I thought COD wasn't going to be exclusive?

MS: It's not. Warzone 2 is still playable on PS :whistle:

This is record stupidity for you Bern

Last edited:

More like:

Regulators: COD exclusive?

MS: Nah.

That's it. Everything else is to be seen.

assurdum

Banned

I crossed my fingers for you. I bet there is a "catch" for COD and the others IPs multiplat. I don't know where are come suddenly all this faith for the MS words; they can easily turn around their words if it's convenient for them

Last edited:
I crossed my fingers for you. I bet there is a "catch" for COD and the others IPs multiplat. I don't know where coming all this your faith for the MS words what they can easily turn around their words if it's convenient for them

It's really simple. They're trying to be clear and open with the FTC. Any "catch" in this post that they're not openly stating is them misleading the FTC

The question you have to ask yourself at that point is, will MS do that?

assurdum

Banned
It's really simple. They're trying to be clear and open with the FTC. Any "catch" in this post that they're not openly stating is them misleading the FTC

The question you have to ask yourself at that point is, will MS do that?
It's not misleading if they would want release their games just via Gamepass for multiplat. Will see I guess. But until that, I really skeptical.

Last edited:
It's not misleading if they would want release their games just via Gamepass for multiplat.

Regulators asking MS why COD is exclusive and them responding with "because Sony refused to allow gamepass" would not fly. At all. That's textbook anti-trust and they'd be openly admitting it

Last edited:

Fredrik

That is a very beautiful "awkward" spot!

If you have a powerful enough PC, you should definitely move it to a more accessible solution. The best of both worlds + mod support.
The backdrop is nice but it’s a seriously messy desk lol, it is what it is.
I definitely plan to play Starfield on the PC anyway, it’s how I play all Bethesda games, the mod community is too active to ignore and first person works best with mouse and keyboard. But I would need a living room PC to be satisfied playing Horizon Forbidden West, God of War 2, Gears 6, etc on PC. I just hate playing third person games best played with a controller on my current PC setup, it’s why I still play so many Xbox games on XSX instead of PC.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Lol you're pathetic. You look like a fool so this is the road you take

1. My stance on Starfield from the start was it was a 50/50 it would come to PS. I never 100% claimed it would.

2. I said "case by case basis" back then, because that was literally the PR bullshit Phil came out with

Nice try though
Talk about pathetic. Look at yourself! You still think starfield will come to ps. You bought into the "pr bullshit " last time age you're doing it again. Holy shit. Fool me once...

You're clearly not the brightest

FrankWza

Only because Microsoft has a shotgun barrel to Sony’s head since they own so many franchises now. Sony would be committing suicide by trying fight xbox through aqcuistions and putting them exclusive.
The bungie acquisition was in the works for months and the negotiating included them staying multiplat. At least with destiny.

assurdum

Banned
What you said made no sense
Indeed expect they will release all the COD and the other major IPs in all platforms without Gamepass access, after they spent 63 billions, has tons of more sense lol and just because they did a vague statement without specify in what way such games will be available.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Xbox fans aren’t even trying to pretend all they want is to see Sony crash and burn anymore. The amount of salt seen now that they realized it isn’t the case and MS is not set to destroy PlayStation is REALLY amusing.
It’s really funny to see the same people now trying to twist MS own words against them. So, now they’re lying but they weren’t before? Sorry, green guys, CoD will keep being multiplat, potentially crash and Spyro too.

Swift_Star

Banned
Can, come on don't be so naive.

Why else would they use such carefully worded yet incredibly vague language in that press release ? Clearly they didn't go into specifics deliberately.
Now they’re being pretty clear on what they mean. Why y’all still trying to pretend it isn’t so? Wishful thinking I guess.

Yoboman

Indeed expect they will release all the COD without Gamepass in all platforms, after they spent 63 billions, has tons of more sense lol
As has been repeated to you, they literally cannot force gamepass on to COD on other systems as a requirement. That is product tying and is 100% an anti trust issue

They can offer gamepass as an option if Sony allows it on the system, in addition to selling it in the manner it is now. They can't force Gamepass in - that is the coercion element of product tying

You seem either very young or your English skills aren't up to snuff so maybe I'm just talking to a brick wall here

laynelane

A lot of your points are subjective. Again, how would it financially benefit Sony to have GamePass on their platform when they already have their own subs and are creating new ones?

Top Bottom