• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and Epic Games Sued Over Video Game Addiction

Have game companies like Microsoft and Epic Games knowingly caused video game addiction in kids?

According to a new lawsuit filed in Arkansas, that’s the case.

The lawsuit, filed on October 30, states that that Microsoft, Epic Games, Activision Blizzard, EA, and others “use patented designs, algorithms and marketing containing addictive features and technology” leading to addiction.
These designs and “addictive features”, the claim says utilized data collection of minors, predatory monetization schemes, and feedback loops to keep players more engaged.

“We never imagined when our son started playing video games that he would become so addicted that his education would severely suffer, he would lose all interest in spending time with his friends, and his physical and mental health would be at risk,” said Casey Dunn, the mother who filed the lawsuit on behalf of her child.

“These video game companies have targeted and taken advantage of kids, prioritizing their profit over all else. As a mom, I knew I had to do something to ensure they don’t get away with destroying the wellbeing and futures of our children.”

The Dunn family is suing for monetary recovery, changing how games are designed and offered, and additional “mental health resources for families faced with trying to treat young children addicted to gaming”.
The family’s attorney Tina Bullock says that she believes video game addiction is serious, and should be treated as such.

“Gaming addiction is a serious, life-altering disorder that is stealing children’s lives and disrupting families across the country,” Bullock said.

“Parents like me often mistakenly think it is a failure on their part when their child becomes addicted, but through this litigation we hope to shine a light on these companies’ reprehensible actions, deceit, and manipulation of our children for their own financial gain.”

As of publishing, none of the named defendants have responded to Insider Gaming’s requests for comment.

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

The judge should do this to the parents:

angry family guy GIF

Bkdk

LOL, sony certainly see this coming, that's why their exclusives are all once and done and very story focused games.

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

The judge should do this to the parents:

angry family guy GIF

I had an Atari growing up and when my parents thought I played too much dad told me to get outside and play and I listened
Let's not pretend that companies don't hire psychologists and do intense research on how to make their products as addictive as possible to maximize profit in a way that wasn't possible 20-40 years ago.

I had an Atari growing up and when my parents thought I played too much dad told me to get outside and play and I listened
Today's world:

GAF member: "Son, no games go outside and play"

-Son's friends have phones.
-Everyone at his school has phones.
-In class, everyone uses tablets and chromebooks.
-They all play roblox, fortnite, and minecraft and post on tiktok.
-Your son feels left out because he can't have fun with his friends.
-Your son's friends think your son isn't fun to hang around.
-GAF member's son is the one kid who ends up bullied and made fun of because he doesn't use a phone, browse tiktok, or play videogames.

GHG

Kids are vulnerable, I agree a %110, they don't comprehend the word priorities.

I think this is the problem in a nutshell.

They build games around these well researched psychologically manipulative practices and then market those games towards children.

Like loot boxes and all the other not so subtle gambling mechanics, if they want to do this sort of thing then make the games adult only.

Your average parent isn't going to know whether or not the game they are letting their child plays has patented addiction design built into it or not. These "videogames" (the GAAS ones) are entirely different products to the ones most of us here grew up playing.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

The lawsuits that people come up with today. LOL We all joke about the psychologists on the payroll of these companies, which is a thing, but self-control (parental control in the case of a kid) is also a thing that should be practiced. As much as I'm not a fan of grindy, built for mtx sales type games, I don't think we need to start litigating everything for the weaker minds out there. Parents can certainly limit kids gaming time (most of the devices support these controls natively) and control spending, teenagers and adults should just know better.

There's no doubt that they intentionally design addictive traits into games to hit that dopamine button. Welcome to the world. Everyone and everything that sales something is trying to do that in some form or fashion.

SHA

They build games around these well researched psychologically manipulative practices and then market those games towards children.

Like loot boxes and all the other not so subtle gambling mechanics, if they want to do this sort of thing then make the games adult only.

Your average parent isn't going to know whether or not the game they are letting their child plays has patented addiction design built into it or not. These "videogames" (the GAAS ones) are entirely different products to the ones most of us here grew up playing.
Even an 18 yrs old can talk like adults but still can't castaway his emotions for whatever reasons for his own good, he's still basically a slave to his feelings, not fully grown up who's willing to sacrifice all the immaturity within him.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I have said this here before but my nephews play Fortnite and have bought literally everything ever offered because FOMO

And as much as I love my sister in law she just refills their debit cards and let them spend without question

Woggleman

Pretty much anything can be addicting if you nake a habit out of it. Why focus on video games instead of social media or Netflix or whatever else?

Laieon

Anecdotally, as an elementary school teacher I think games have their fair of issues, especially with kids as young as the ones I teach, but I also think they can be beneficial. I definitely think developers need to be reigned in (or the public needs to be better educated) on manipulative practices though. Despite gaming being larger than it's ever been, it's weird how little "edutainment" has evolved since the 90s, and it's arguably worse than ever. I'd love to see serious return of stuff like Math Rabbit, Reader Rabbit, Cluefinders, and Jumpstart, any of which seem to be a shell of their former selves (if they exist at all).

What is legitimately terrifying to me is short-form videos like what you would find on Tik Tok or Reels. If we want to talk about addiction, that's drastically worse right now and I 100% believe is having a massive affect on these kids' (and honestly, adults) attention spans. 10-15 minute lessons that classes just a couple years ago had no problems sitting through are often now so much of a struggle that they need to be cut in half or else these kids lose focus. It's almost like every day is now equivalent to the day after Halloween when kids often bounce off the walls with sugar rushes. I think future generations will look at exposing kids to constant algorithm fueled dopamine pushes in the same way we look at smoking now.

At the same time, I think the largest issue is that a lot of people just don't parent anymore and use games/youtube/tik tok/whatever as a free babysitter.

Last edited:

Laieon

Here, maybe, but not the general public. I'm in my mid 30s and know an absolute ton of people who very casually play games, and when they do they're either playing Warzone, Apex, Fortnite, 2K, or Madden. These are very similar to (if not the exact same) products that their kids are playing.

Horse Armor is 17 years old, South Park's "Make Love Not Warcraft" (an episode focused on game addition) is just as old; and we all know that DLCs and microtransactions have only exploded since.

3/4 of Americans who play games are over the age of 18, and the average age of someone who does is 33. It's not a niche hobby anymore that the generation preceding this one never had around. The average parent grew up with games and there's a pretty decent chance they play them themselves, I think "I don't know what's going on" is a bit of a cop out if not an outright lie in this day and age.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Mine too but we know that was a different time. Some of it for the better and some of it for the worse. The immersion and phycological tools used these days in games are much more advanced than those square Pacman dots we used to play. That being said, parents still need to parent.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Mine too but we know that was a different time. Some of it for the better and some of it for the worse. The immersion and phycological tools used these days in games are much more advanced than those square Pacman dots we used to play. That being said, parents still need to parent.
It was a different time but something thats lost today is the kids respect for their parents

I remember taking my son out and buying the OG Xbox and PS2 right around when he was 10 or so and again I guess a different time but I took that PS2 away when if his grades dipped

He sat out a year of playing baseball because of grades and if anyone knows me him missing baseball almost killed me

Just wait until that mom hears about caffeine, cigarettes, booze, energy drinks, sugar/corn syrup, sex etc. How will their son ever avoid anything addictive? Quick mom bring some more class actions to save the children. Anything to avoid actually parenting your kid should do the trick.

Wild guess here, perhaps getting your kids to put the work in first then the reward of games after would be a good start. Fuck companies that design these systems around addiction and feedback loops. Fuck parents that don't teach their kids about modern world dangers.

Top Bottom