• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quebec authorizes class-action lawsuit by parents suing Epic Games for causing deliberate video game addiction

Rickyiez

LOL failed to educate their own kids and then blame a game company . What next ? Sue Google or Apple for producing mobile devices ?

Last edited:
A bunch of parents who let a game raise their kids are now mad because the kids like the games more than they like the parents.

I wish retards couldn't procreate.

SaintALia

Eh, people can blame the parents all they want, but seem to forget that companies spend millions/billions engineering these games to be as addictive as possible and bleed their customer base dry. I'm legit surprised there aren't more protections put in place, but current administrations of the world are essentially run by dessicated corpses who barely keep up with technology.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
These are the types of people that have no idea what’s going on in their kid’s lives.

Videogames have probably been their babysitter for years, and they’re door mats who let their kids walk all over them.

ReBurn

Gold Member
China has already fixed this problem. All Canada needs to do is limit kids to 3 hours of video games per week.

bitbydeath

Eh, people can blame the parents all they want, but seem to forget that companies spend millions/billions engineering these games to be as addictive as possible and bleed their customer base dry. I'm legit surprised there aren't more protections put in place, but current administrations of the world are essentially run by dessicated corpses who barely keep up with technology.
Not putting a computer in your kids bedroom is the only protection you need, well that and parenting.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

These parents definitely have a case. Epic let's you play fortnight for free, but they use every tactic in the book to get you to buy the battle pass, or spend money on cosmetics. I'm positive they have some kind of social engineering group in Epic to move the switches to tickle that ich to make you want to play\spend money.

I'm all for personal responsibility, but it seems like it's a lot of kids addicted to Fortnight. I don't think it's a bad idea to investigate/push back on.

These parents definitely have a case. Epic let's you play fortnight for free, but they use every tactic in the book to get you to buy the battle pass, or spend money on cosmetics. I'm positive they have some kind of social engineering group in Epic to move the switches to tickle that ich to make you want to play\spend money.

I'm all for personal responsibility, but it seems like it's a lot of kids addicted to Fortnight. I don't think it's a bad idea to investigate/push back on.

They are suing for intentional addiction which doesn't sound like much of a case when they can be parents and control the time, and if money, cut off funding from their console or phone so they can't spend.

From what iirc some of the kids whose parents or involved and associated with the suit are younger than 13 and that makes an easy case to bring up Fortnites T rating.

SaintALia

Not putting a computer in your kids bedroom is the only protection you need, well that and parenting.
It's Fortnite, you don't need a computer in your bedroom to play it. I'm not sure if that makes any sense to not have a computer in your kid's room because of a corporation's known predatory practices. That's like the ol' 'stop dressing so deliciously or it's it's your fault when I drag you to my van' kinda thing. We all know how these corporations operate, and the industry has never been shy about it's whaling and monetisation schemes.

Top Bottom