• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Dang. MS's response isn't mincing words calling out FTC

FkpuLYcWYAEaxct

This was ABKs response and lawyers, not MS.

The only people who would be hurt by this acquisition would be the Activision fans on Playstation who refuse to game on anything that doesn't have the glorious Sony logo on it. They like to say "I don't play Xbox because it doesn't have the games I like" but then complain when Xbox starts getting games, "wait you're doing it wrong, there's only 1 correct way to get exclusives on your system and that's not one of them because Sony isn't doing it that way". And there's all this fear of consolidation yet when Tencent and Embracer are buying studios left and right there's no real blowback, nor when Sony purchases studios. I'm not saying there's no reason to be against this acquisition, just that the vast majority of people here that are opposed to it are opposed to it because it's Microsoft and because it's Xbox, not because they're fundamentally opposed to it, and they are just using these fake justifications to hide behind so that they're not exposed

gothmog

Gold Member
What starts as "shifting around money for control" will eventually lead to more games being funded with bigger budgets than they would have been under Activision. More creative freedom as we are seeing lately from Microsoft. We might actually get sequels from shelved IPs. Some studios may be freed up from the COD support slavery role. Etc etc. There are a lot of possible positives here, it's not going to be all bad. You are making this out to be all doom and gloom for no reason.
There are plenty of reasons to be all doom and gloom about this. We all get it, Kotick is an asshole and working conditions across most developers were terrible as best. I was a full time developer for most of the early 2000s so I lived the bro culture, the death marches, and the shitty overpromise and undeliver on incentives. But if you think that suddenly COD becomes a game that isn't yearly or that people won't be 100% on COD I think you're kidding yourself. Fuck, Bungie literally bought themselves out from under Microsoft to avoid being a slave to Halo so I think we have a good idea just how much they are going to free things up for the COD teams.

There are plenty of reasons to be all doom and gloom about this. We all get it, Kotick is an asshole and working conditions across most developers were terrible as best. I was a full time developer for most of the early 2000s so I lived the bro culture, the death marches, and the shitty overpromise and undeliver on incentives. But if you think that suddenly COD becomes a game that isn't yearly or that people won't be 100% on COD I think you're kidding yourself. Fuck, Bungie literally bought themselves out from under Microsoft to avoid being a slave to Halo so I think we have a good idea just how much they are going to free things up for the COD teams.
Because the good things about this, are outside the deal itself. The consequences of the deal is the positive outcome, not the deal itself. People haven't realized this.

This was ABKs response and lawyers, not MS.
MS making Activision do the dirty work so they can keep the good guy act going. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
The only people who would be hurt by this acquisition would be the Activision fans on Playstation who refuse to game on anything that doesn't have the glorious Sony logo on it. They like to say "I don't play Xbox because it doesn't have the games I like" but then complain when Xbox starts getting games, "wait you're doing it wrong, there's only 1 correct way to get exclusives on your system and that's not one of them because Sony isn't doing it that way". And there's all this fear of consolidation yet when Tencent and Embracer are buying studios left and right there's no real blowback, nor when Sony purchases studios. I'm not saying there's no reason to be against this acquisition, just that the vast majority of people here that are opposed to it are opposed to it because it's Microsoft and because it's Xbox, not because they're fundamentally opposed to it, and they are just using these fake justifications to hide behind so that they're not exposed
No blowback from Tencent? I guess I imagined all those threads with people basically saying fuck China.

Also, Sony has been buying smaller studios that have mainly been making games for them, anyway, taking nothing from Xbox. And the only notable one that hasn't, Bungie, is already going to be doing their own thing and publishing to Xbox. Can't say the same thing for Zenimax and Activision games, huh?

Not that your argument is genuine, since you can use the same argument in reverse. If Sony was buying up Activision, all the Xbox fanboys would be the ones raising hell and praising these regulatory bodies trying to stop the deal, instead of acting like Sony is paying them off.

Three

They like to say "I don't play Xbox because it doesn't have the games I like" but then complain when Xbox starts getting games, "wait you're doing it wrong, there's only 1 correct way to get exclusives on your system and that's not one of them because Sony isn't doing it that way".
When people said they want games on xbox they didn't mean games it was getting anyway

Last edited:
I’m not trying to compare the 3DS to the Switch. I’m comparing it to the PS4.

cool GIF
Go right ahead still doesn't put the Switch in a unique monopolistic market which was the argument that FTC was making. It is far from being a platform that lacks serious games and 'high performance' is not a real market in consoles.
Oh Yeah Yes GIF by Mauro Gatti

People like you have said it for years with glee, Microsoft is dead last, 3rd place, and now that Microsoft is using it to its advantage (and it will 100% work because laws and all that jazz) you have a problem? Can't have it both ways.
MS the third place monopoly. Whatever narrative that makes people happy I suppose.

Hoeg video was linked earlier. Fantastic breakdown as usual.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Go right ahead still doesn't put the Switch in a unique monopolistic market which was the argument that FTC was making. It is far from being a platform that lacks serious games and 'high performance' is not a real market in consoles.
Oh Yeah Yes GIF by Mauro Gatti

MS the third place monopoly. Whatever narrative that makes people happy I suppose.

Hoeg video was linked earlier. Fantastic breakdown as usual.

Thanks for the share, must've missed it before.

MS making Activision do the dirty work so they can keep the good guy act going. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

No blowback from Tencent? I guess I imagined all those threads with people basically saying fuck China.

Also, Sony has been buying smaller studios that have mainly been making games for them, anyway, taking nothing from Xbox. And the only notable one that hasn't, Bungie, is already going to be doing their own thing and publishing to Xbox. Can't say the same thing for Zenimax and Activision games, huh?

Not that your argument is genuine, since you can use the same argument in reverse. If Sony was buying up Activision, all the Xbox fanboys would be the ones raising hell and praising these regulatory bodies trying to stop the deal, instead of acting like Sony is paying them off.

I can tell someone hasn't read the response. Microsoft is flat out stating that the FTC's complaint is so amateur in nature that it doesn't even establish fundamental baselines that are necessary under law to successfully fight the acquisition in court. Microsoft flat-out calls the entire process unconstitutional and beyond the law. Microsoft even asks to be paid for all its legal fees just for them having to waste time responding to the FTC in this way.

No mention of a relevant geographic market by which Microsoft would somehow become a gaming monopoly? No mention of any problematic share that Microsoft would acquire in the relevant markets they defined? Can't mention a harm to consumers? Can't mention a relevant product market? Know why the FTC avoids all of those things? Because then the actual numbers and breakdowns would have to come into play. The numbers don't work in its favor. This is ideology at play, not law, but in court, they go by law and real numbers.

p2WL1Pg.jpg

Microsoft is challenging the very legitimacy of the FTC's current powers, and is also accusing them of violating the US constitution, separation of powers, and breaking the law, the very law that gives them any right to review mergers. Are those "nice guy" things? Or are you confusing Activision arguing in more plain speak for the public as being harsher than the kinds of arguments that will embarrass the FTC before a court?

eHYkHAI.jpg

dCkIVot.jpg

utPzgOq.jpg

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I can tell someone hasn't read the response. Microsoft is flat out stating that the FTC's complaint is so amateur in nature that it doesn't even establish fundamental baselines that are necessary under law to successfully fight the acquisition in court. Microsoft flat-out calls the entire process unconstitutional and beyond the law. Microsoft even asks to be paid for all its legal fees just for them having to waste time responding to the FTC in this way.

p2WL1Pg.jpg

Microsoft is challenging the very legitimacy of the FTC's current powers, and is also accusing them of violating the US constitution, separation of powers, and breaking the law, the very law that gives them any right to review mergers. Are those "nice guy" things? Or are you confusing Activision arguing in more plain speak for the public as being harsher than the kinds of arguments that will embarrass the FTC before a court?

eHYkHAI.jpg

dCkIVot.jpg

utPzgOq.jpg

Microsoft can make whatever statements and claims they want. Just as the FTC can. That doesn't mean a thing until a judge makes a ruling. You act like if Microsoft says it then its truth.

Silly me....of course you do.

Jim Carrey Alrighty Then GIF by Ace Ventura

adamsapple

You think Nvidia gave indications they were going to call it off until they actually did?

Regardless, that FTC also made an administrative complaint against NVidia has no bearing or relevance to this case at all.

adamsapple

It isn't any more relevant when the news broke two weeks ago than it is today. I referenced Nvidia to demonstrate that this is normal protocol.

Why are you posting other people's opinions in image format anyway?

Because the original article is paywalled and this is an excerpt of it taken from twitter.

Jeese man you woke up in a mood today :p

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Because the original article is paywalled and this is an excerpt of it taken from twitter.

Jeese man you woke up in a mood today :p

I'm just trying to figure out why this was brought up again.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

This pathetically smug gloating from Xbox fanboys makes me really sad. What a lowly existence.

My suspicion is that this is the true motivation for a lot of them, a desire to take something from others.

That warrior mentality.

Last edited:

adamsapple

This pathetically smug gloating from Xbox fanboys makes me really sad. What a lowly existence.

My suspicion is that this is the true motivation for a lot of them, a desire to take something from others.

Come on now, for every coalt there's also worse actors like red dragon and others on either side. :messenger_unamused:

These one, two people don't represent the fanbase.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom