• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shambala

Phils getting cooked
U4WqF8B.gif

Last edited:

I would say that's a smoking gun, especially considering just yesterday someone else (Booty, was it), said for the judge to look at Minecraft as how they'd handle COD going forward.

AKA if ABK makes no contract stipulation to be multiplatform console-wise in order to be purchased, Microsoft could 100% remove it from PlayStation the day after the deal goes through.

And while other regulators like the CMA & EC have said partial foreclosure on console would not be too big an issue, they never said that about complete foreclosure.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Oh shit. This is a lot of dirt.

Phil regrets Minecraft multiplatform's existence (because of the contract). "I need us to find ways [to make Minecraft exclusive]". Conversation between PHil Spencer / Matt Booty / and one other unknow person.
So there is an actual part of the contract to keep Minecraft multi platform....well now.

I remember getting into debates about this.

Nydius

Gold Member
FTC lawyers doing a bang up job establishing the pattern of behavior of Microsoft buying things with the express intent of removing (or hindering) them from other platforms. And Phil is just handing them all the ammunition on a platter.

Best predictor of future behavior is past behavior, and all that.

Last edited:

graywolf323

And I was joking saying we're lucky Minecraft is still multi platform.

Cot dayum....
remember how all the fanboys like to point out Minecraft as proof that Xbox would keep things multi platform? well ends up it’s only because they’re legally obligated to because of the contract they signed when they bought it from Notch…

meanwhile they’re perfectly happy to renegotiate contracts with oh say Disney and make things like Indiana Jones exclusive or just flat out cancel other versions of games like Redfall & Starfield 🤔

To be honest, they did ship the Ori Collection on Switch, and that runs at 60fps on it as well. Had to get the physical for it due to that (they're great games too)!

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This is also interesting.

MS hasn't done any strategical or financial analysis on how Call of Duty game will do on Nintendo, yet they have made a promise. Earlier, Phil was saying that they do analysis for each content before deciding which platform to ship on (implying that PS5 can be a part of ABK content in the future).

X-Wing

Now Fallout 76. Joining PS Now / PS Plus.

"We have not allowed Minecraft on PS Now because that competes with Game Pass." -- Phil Spencer. [slight paraphrasing maybe}
This is where I feel like that the lawyer is failing. Here he could have just said that at that point PS Now only had 3 million subscribers while Gamepass had what, 20 million? So Microsoft had a leading position.

Sony not giving you a dev kit hurts your ability to compete? Why do you need to have access to Sony's hardware to know what YOU want to build for developers in a next-gen console? Shouldn't you instinctively have a good idea of what devs will need, being a platform holder for 2 decades in this business?

Goodness gracious 🙄
That's how they found out about ps4 pro so Sony decided not to make that mistake again with PS5

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is also interesting.

MS hasn't done any strategical or financial analysis on how Call of Duty game will do on Nintendo, yet they have made a promise. Earlier, Phil was saying that they do analysis for each content before deciding which platform to ship on (implying that PS5 can be a part of ABK content in the future).
Double speak in the same Q&A.
Christian Bale GIF by PeacockTV

Sony had to deal with their own version of this when Kotick threatened to drop the PS3 if a price cut didn't happen.

It isn't something you can't survive.

Well, Sega didn't survive it (no EA support hurt them with Dreamcast contributing to leaving as a platform holder), and the only reason Sony survived it was because they had to radically change their corporate structure as a whole, else they were going to shut down PlayStation (or at least spin them off to a buyer).

Though FWIW Sony's situation with PS3 was not primarily over any threats Activision made, and I guess that could be said similarly for Sega with EA when it came to the Dreamcast. Just two publishers taking advantage of a situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom