• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Wing

What details are wrong?

The argument is that it is not up to Xbox to put the game on PS Now. It is up to Sony as a platform holder to contact the content creator and request content to be put there and Sony never did that.

I think people who are saying that Phil is being coked are wrong. The lawyer sucks and has missed several opportunities to make a relevant point.
Phil is doing wel actually.

Last edited:

ArcaneNLSC

Tongue GIF

Ogbert

Phil swiftly proved the FTC's point that the acquisition spree is specifically to remove games from PlayStation.
Here’s the problem though.

For all the Minecraft talk, was it taken off Sony’s platform? If this was a two way conversation, the immediate response to the FTC would be ‘of course, like any company we consider what is in our best interests, but for such a ubiquitous title, it made sense, economically and strategically, for it to remain in place. As such, our aim is never exclusivity. Rather, what is best for ourselves and our gamers’.

The FTC line of reasoning for Minecraft demonstrated that that particular acquisition was vertical in nature.

Microsoft should be shamed industry wide for wanting to make Minecraft exclusive.

im-disappointed-in-you-grandpa.gif

I mean, I get the desire for doing so, and since they owned the content, by all other means it'd of been within their right to do so.

But it definitely goes against a lot of the pro-consumer marketing points they've been preaching for years (to get good optics), about not wanting to break up communities.

Yeah, they only don't want to break up those communities if they're communities Microsoft 100% has ownership of 🙄

graywolf323

is someone going to make a thread about the Minecraft revelation? I feel like that’s thread-worthy given someone made one about Phil claiming they don’t pay for console exclusivity 😂

tryDEATH

Phil is ducking and weaving extremely effectively and not digging MS into a hole leaving their lawyers with a lot of leeway to counter a lot the arguments being made by the FTC.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
So what's the format of this hearing? Do the plaintiff's and defendants go back and forth in terms of questioning or isthe prosecution having a full say, then the defense have a full say with obvious cross examinations and what not?

cebri.one

FTC defending this pretty badly, if I were the lawyer my points would be pretty clear:
  1. MS is trying to buy the biggest games
  2. Biggest games have an anchor effect (system sellers)
  3. MS wants to make those games exclusives to GP (emails, latest bethesda releases)
  4. MS is currently dumping the competition with GP offering a price way below the cost
  5. When MS is sucesfull at gaining market control, they will act like always (azure, o365) and pass the cost to consumer -> huge raise of GP price + less benefits.
The only way out of here is Valve trying to make a stand but I think they are still happy with their position. Sony just doesn't have the financial capability to try to fight this, they would be better off becoming a third party.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom