• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Astray

Okay so, to your first point: I laid out a couple of weeks ago that MS was seeking to close regardless of regulators because they likely feel that ATVI is not willing to renegotiate the Merger Agreement. All of this effort is to close it before July 18th. Theres a myriad of reasons why ATVI could be feeling they don't wanna re-negotiate, especially if there is no strong sign that the chances to get an approval will improve with the UK, or with the FTC's case in August.
Yeah it feels to me that MS's plan now is "close now, figure it out later", hence the FTC response today.

I think that it's safe to say that Activision won't be signing an extension, you can even see it in how muted their co-signing of MS's PR is nowadays compared to what it was when the CMA block 1st happened.

As to your second point - the reason they pointed this out is more to the larger market and internal naysayers to their business plan. They aren't seeking to soften the blow, but really pointed questions behind the scenes have been increasingly asked as of late on the profitability of the Xbox marketplace for non-XGS publishing entities, not to mention internally there are loads of questions regarding the sustainability of the current business direction.

To be noted - you're correct in thinking that this isn't the sort of thing that typically ever gets talked about at gaming shows anymore, so if you thought it strange, thats because it is. My understanding is that MS really wanted yesterday's showcase to 'reset' the fiscal, industry, and public perception on the Xbox platform.
Yeah this is the sort of talk we usually get in corporate filings and investor calls. Was very weird to see it inserted into a consumer-focused event.

Lots of weird dancing around too in that interview, counting MAUs from other platforms is kinda self-defeating when your strategy is currently about trying to dry their content flow and hold them ransom, you should be holding strong with replacement revenues that make the decision to skip those platforms for your new games a tenable one to investors. There are real questions around the viability of the subscription business model for gaming, not only because Gamepass plateau'd, but because even Hollywood is having a massive rethink moment right now.

Hell, I'd even question the profitability of XGS games as well at this juncture, Forza games aren't cheap to make, and putting them behind a subscription may not be making as much monies as simply selling immediately.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well maybe your dumbass should read more because that info was source by mlex
No, that jackass didn't cite anything in that post. Also go fuck yourself.
Calm Down Al Pacino GIF

Kilau

Gold Member
If they plan to close wouldn't that be with Activision consent? Or Activision has to consent or they lose 3B
Sure, but I also think ABK has to go with everything or risk losing the $3B. I would imagine MS would fight that payment if they feel they can prove ABK wasn't acting in good faith if the deal ends up failing.

So, am I understanding this correctly? The CMA said no-go, FTC was against but it hadn't come to a date yet, so Microsoft was preparing to say "Fuck yall were closing anyway" so the FTC filed this?

Astray

But how if they don’t fulfill the requirements?

Are they trying to scare ABK here? Something is off.
If the deal fails, and MS goes: "you didn't do your absolute best efforts when the deal was in a 50/50 state and could have benefitted from your support on our legal maneuvers, hence you are out 3 billy" then ActiBlizz might actually lose in court if they ever go to court afterwards.

The "we're gonna close and settle things after" is a tactic for dealing with regulators, they're essentially treating the CMA as a 2nd FTC here, where maybe they can close and then find a loophole afterwards. Basically anything to get the deal through while they still can.

So, am I understanding this correctly? The CMA said no-go, FTC was against but it hadn't come to a date yet, so Microsoft was preparing to say "Fuck yall were closing anyway" so the FTC filed this?
Yep basically.

Thirty7ven

Banned
If the deal fails, and MS goes: "you didn't do your absolute best efforts when the deal was in a 50/50 state and could have benefitted from your support on our legal maneuvers, hence you are out 3 billy" then ActiBlizz might actually lose in court if they ever go to court afterwards.

The "we're gonna close and settle things after" is a tactic for dealing with regulators, they're essentially treating the CMA as a 2nd FTC here, where maybe they can close and then find a loophole afterwards. Basically anything to get the deal through while they still can.

ABK isn’t required to break up the original agreement in order to be owed 3B.

There’s something going on that we don’t know about.

Astray

You gotta keep in mind that the CMA's block is still pending appeal, so things as they stand are not at the stage where the deal is null and void, the CMA is closer to being an outright block than the FTC is, but they theoretically can still garner approval in some way.

What Microsoft want is to close (which would theoretically still happen because the FTC/CMA blocks are not yet finalized), then successfully appeal the CMA, then they believe that the FTC is easy enough to fight that they are a non-threat to the deal (both sides clearly agree about the FTC, that's why we had so many briefings where they talked about closing despite the court case).

All this is fueled by hopium at some level of the company's decisionmakers, but that doesn't mean their chances of ramming this through are a complete zero just yet.

Personally I think this is the last hurrah for this deal, the hail mary pass, but what the hell do I know?

Kilau

Gold Member

Wasn’t it said MS could waive the need for approval from the CMA? That would be something between them and ABK. They could close in that case with no breaking of the deal.

Thirty7ven

Banned
You gotta keep in mind that the CMA's block is still pending appeal, so things as they stand are not at the stage where the deal is null and void, the CMA is closer to being an outright block than the FTC is, but they theoretically can still garner approval in some way.

What Microsoft want is to close (which would theoretically still happen because the FTC/CMA blocks are not yet finalized), then successfully appeal the CMA, then they believe that the FTC is easy enough to fight that they are a non-threat to the deal (both sides clearly agree about the FTC, that's why we had so many briefings where they talked about closing despite the court case).

All this is fueled by hopium at some level of the company's decisionmakers, but that doesn't mean their chances of ramming this through are a complete zero just yet.

Personally I think this is the last hurrah for this deal, the hail mary pass, but what the hell do I know?

Actually it would be illegal. MS has been prohibited to invest in ABK in anyway shape or form by the CMA while the process is ongoing.

So that’s what we are talking about, breaking the law.

Actually it would be illegal. MS has been prohibited to invest in ABK in anyway shape or form by the CMA while the process is ongoing.

are you sure about that? As far as I know, a regulatory agency can’t create a law to say that something is ilegal. Therefore, if there is no such law in place what you’re saying is nonsense.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
are you sure about that? As far as I know, a regulatory agency can’t create a law to say that something is ilegal. Therefore, if there is no such law in place what you’re saying is nonsense.

Create a law?

What’s up with videogame fans having shorter memory span than retirement home residents?

Create a law?

What’s up with videogame fans having shorter memory span than retirement home residents?
For something being ilegal it needs to exist a law. CMA can only enforce what is within legislation. If there is no such law then they can prohibit anything. There is no obligation for the company to to suspend the transaction and no prohibition on completing a transaction without clearance from the CMA. At most, they may make an interim order which is what they did and also the reason why MS is pushing with the acquisition.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
For something being ilegal it needs to exist a law. CMA can only enforce what is within legislation. If there is no such law then they can prohibit anything. There is no obligation for the company to to suspend the transaction and no prohibition on completing a transaction without clearance from the CMA. At most, they may make an interim order which is what they did and also the reason why MS is pushing with the acquisition.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Explain how they forced Facebook to sell Giphy and blocked nVidia from acquiring ARM.

This is not going to end like you think it will.

Varteras

Gold Member
Create a law?

Cognitive decline is common among those with poor diets. That shit has been on the rise in many countries. We're heading for an entire generation of 50 year olds who can't remember if they just shit their pants.

The CMA IS the law in the UK when it comes to commerce. They were empowered by the UK government to tell companies what they can and cannot do within their borders. If the CMA tells you no, and you do it anyways, you are in contempt of a UK authority.

Astray

Probably yes, hence me saying this is a hail mary pass.

You wouldn't do this if you feel secure ABK would just re-up.

honestly if Microsoft does try to move forward with this against the wishes of their two biggest territories regulators, we might be looking at a new round of monopoly busting…
The dream is to spin xbox from Microsoft and watch Pho Spender lose daddy Nutella and his billions upon billions of dollars and be left with the consoles profits as their force.

Topher

Gold Member

CMA has determined that this acquisition would result in a significant lessening of competition. UK gives them that power and so, factually, it is law. And yes, CMA has every right to enforce it. If Microsoft willfully breaks that law then they will find themselves in another UK court facing criminal charges.

Varteras

Gold Member
They'd be done in 10 years or less as a first party brand.

They'd be done in 5 years. Xbox does not bring in enough money to sustain itself on its current business model. Not only would it lose Microsoft's hundreds of billions, it would lose unfettered access to all of their other resources. Even now, Xbox barely competes globally. They'd be hard pressed to battle Nintendo. Nevermind PlayStation, whose parent company is already looking into trimming its business diversity and focusing more into entertainment with electronics on the side.

dibella360

Banned
Am I wrong for thinking this... right now Microsoft has to pay $3B to Activision. When I look into the largest fines the CMA has ever placed on a company, it appears to be the facebook/GIPHY case ... and the fines were "GBP 50.5 million and GBP 1.5 million".

As it stands, Microsoft is paying 3 billion regardless and is getting nothing .... but if the CMA fees are less than this; it provides them with all the IP/studios, time to fight it in court, and the option to remove themself from the UK if needed. Hell, even if they are forced to divest afterward (like Facebook/Giphy) ... they could potentially break even after the sale.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
As it stands, Microsoft is paying 3 billion regardless and is getting nothing .... but if the CMA fees are less than this; it provides them with all the IP/studios, time to fight it in court, and the option to remove themself from the UK if needed. Hell, even if they are forced to divest afterward (like Facebook/Giphy) ... they could potentially break even after the sale.
CMA fines in case of MS/ATVI are 10% of MS global revenue. So yeah, they could break. Not even though.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Revenue, not income.

Microsoft annual revenue for 2022 was $198.27B
We are talking almost $20b if not more when Activision gets counted.

Last edited:

dibella360

Banned
Revenue, not income.

We are talking almost $20b if not more when Activision gets counted.
Thanks for sharing this.

Microsoft going through with the merger anyways would be the equivalent of launching nukes. It is an outcome which would end in Mutually Assured Destruction. No sovereign nation state would stand for a multinational corporation just deciding laws no longer apply to them when inconvenient. The US FTC is already trying to block this acquisition, imagine how they would react if Microsoft decided laws no longer applied to them? They would react much like they did in 1999-2000 except that this time they WOULD ensure that MS was carved up into small pieces like Standard Oil was.

Personally I would envy the UK, I would love it if an entire nation did an experiment where no one used Windows anymore. Imagine a nation free of Windows. The world would soon see it would be a better world. That's not an outcome MS would ever want to test, they never want to actually try a scenario where people ever found out they don't need or want Windows.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Does MS have until July 18 for the deal to go through, if they can't, then it's over? Is that how it works or am I missing something? Does this means it wont close?

Elios83

Does MS have until July 18 for the deal to go through, if they can't, then it's over? Is that how it works or am I missing something? Does this means it wont close?
In theory they could re-negotiate an extension with Activision but it would become much more expensive for Microsoft given the financial and strategical risks involved. It would also be subject to a new approval by shareholders.
All signs (both comments from Microsoft's legals with CAT and today's news about FTC) are pointing to the fact that parties are not seeing a future past the current contract expiring date on July18th. So either they find a way to close before that date or it's likely over.
They don't have a easy way out though, especially if FTC is able to force s preliminary block in the US soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom