• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not sure if already posted but just in case

I got a lot of shit for saying they could close everywhere but the UK and the whole ringfencing idea. But this is really surprising that they are going to close in the UK too. If this is true I mean.

Maybe MS will just say they are closing the deal legally but not merging operations until the final decision is made in the UK. This way they could avoid severe fines.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
This is the dumbest choice by MS if true. ABK will be broken up later and MS fined 20bn from the UK alone.
That's what i want to see

Please Microsoft DO IT
Just Do It Shia GIF by MOODMAN

jm89

Just when i'm starting to get bored of this topic.

200.gif

I wonder how CAT will view this.... If there is any truth to it

Also i could sworn someone here mentioned during the last Case management hearing with CAT, ms where denying they where going to work around the FTC? Can't imagine that being a good look in future hearings.

Last edited:

NickFire

This might be performance theater by the FTC to come out looking like roses after CMA did the leg work. The reported deadline is coming up quick, MS had a big showing they can now point to (if deal dies) as the future of Xbox, and there's no news of CMA changing its decision or reason to believe they will before the deadline. If MS pays termination fee before FTC did anything then FTC won't get as much credit for blocking deal. But if they file for injunction right before MS moves on, we all know the FTC will take a victory lap and claim credit.

feynoob

This might be performance theater by the FTC to come out looking like roses after CMA did the leg work. The reported deadline is coming up quick, MS had a big showing they can now point to (if deal dies) as the future of Xbox, and there's no news of CMA changing its decision or reason to believe they will before the deadline. If MS pays termination fee before FTC did anything then FTC won't get as much credit for blocking deal. But if they file for injunction right before MS moves on, we all know the FTC will take a victory lap and claim credit.
I think you need to look at the tweet before that.
The reason for this is because MS is looking to close it now or later.

Last edited:

graywolf323

The reason for this is because MS is looking to close it now or later.
couldn’t they also face a lawsuit from shareholders if they push forward since it’d be in violation of the contract that the shareholders approved? 🤔

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The reason for this is because MS is looking to close it now.
Will wait for actual news.

If they manage to close this after getting outright blocked and not going through appeals they should disband the CMA. What’s the point of them existing and using taxpayer money if people can just hand wave their rulings so long as you’re a trillion dollar company?
CMA forced breakups in the past. Forced companies to sell off purchases.

What makes it any different here?

M16

no. the FTC was playing the delay tactic to try to get MS to drop the deal. theres zero reason they'd want this to go to federal court where they will most likely get creamed. this is a pure desperation move. and even their injuction request is just for more delay until the case is heard in front of their internal administration law judge, which will be laughed out of court.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
no. the FTC was playing the delay tactic to try to get MS to drop the deal. theres zero reason they'd want this to go to federal court where they will most likely get creamed. this is a pure desperation move.
The deal is still blocked via the CMA tho.

honestly if Microsoft does try to move forward with this against the wishes of their two biggest territories regulators, we might be looking at a new round of monopoly busting…
Yeah, this is major. The fact that MS got as far as to indicate this to market regulators, which is why the FTC filed the injunction, is a huge tell as to what happened. MS is fucking themselves here. All of their good faith arguments just went out the window when they tried to do something 2 regulators told them they couldn't.

feynoob

Yeah, this is major. The fact that MS got as far as to indicate this to market regulators, which is why the FTC filed the injunction, is a huge tell as to what happened. MS is fucking themselves here. All of their good faith arguments just went out the window when they tried to do something 2 regulators told them they couldn't.
Welcome to corporations world.
This is why it's bad to have trillion dollar companies. They don't take no as answer

Astray

Yep, that means the end of the line is in the horizon, enjoy the popcorn before the show ends.

Makes one wonder why they feel the need to do this, and what it means to the future of their current approach to gaming..

Phil and Booty's boastful statements about Xbox revenue etc felt kinda outside what the showcase is, I'm guessing it's to soften the impact of the potential death of this deal..

M16

only one regulator, and thats in appeals.
the FTC has to sue and win to block. there currently isnt a block in the US.

Makes one wonder why they feel the need to do this, and what it means to the future of their current approach to gaming..

Phil and Booty's boastful statements about Xbox revenue etc felt kinda outside what the showcase is, I'm guessing it's to soften the impact of the potential death of this deal..
Okay so, to your first point: I laid out a couple of weeks ago that MS was seeking to close regardless of regulators because they likely feel that ATVI is not willing to renegotiate the Merger Agreement. All of this effort is to close it before July 18th. Theres a myriad of reasons why ATVI could be feeling they don't wanna re-negotiate, especially if there is no strong sign that the chances to get an approval will improve with the UK, or with the FTC's case in August.

As to your second point - the reason they pointed this out is more to the larger market and internal naysayers to their business plan. They aren't seeking to soften the blow, but really pointed questions behind the scenes have been increasingly asked as of late on the profitability of the Xbox marketplace for non-XGS publishing entities, not to mention internally there are loads of questions regarding the sustainability of the current business direction.

To be noted - you're correct in thinking that this isn't the sort of thing that typically ever gets talked about at gaming shows anymore, so if you thought it strange, thats because it is. My understanding is that MS really wanted yesterday's showcase to 'reset' the fiscal, industry, and public perception on the Xbox platform.

only one regulator, and thats in appeals.
the FTC has to sue and win to block. there currently isnt a block in the US.
While there isn't an outright block by the FTC, their position is against the deal, and there is a court date currently in place for August. The FTC as a regulatory agency went against this merger last December; the only reason it wasn't a block is because they don't have the same sort of power in the US as the CMA does in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom