• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: “We’re putting the ‘game’ back in Windows”

ziran

MCV

- Microsoft hasn't focused on PC gaming while concentrating on establishing Xbox, but now is set to redefine 'Games for Windows' as a brand, like Playstation and Xbox, over the next 18 months. There's even going to be a redesign of PC games' boxes with the 'Games for Windows' tag [similar to consoles].

MCV said:
Microsoft: ‘We’ve been killing PC gaming’

...“It’s our biggest ever investment in Windows gaming,” said product manager Kelly Stanmore. “The Windows business is down 10 per cent year-on-year and we’ve lost shelves of space. We’re killing off that community without the retail support.”...

...“We’re putting the ‘game’ back in Windows,” explained group manager Chris Donohue. “We’re over the hump with Xbox 360 so now ready to build Windows as a platform.”

Key to this is a bespoke retail concept, offering Xbox 360 and Games for Windows titles, plus a cross-compatible range of peripherals, integrating the gaming experience...

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
Those motherfuckers just intend to kill any attempt to program a game focused to a computer which doesn't run windows. First this, later will come the fucking openGL-pwnage, with its mac&linux-pwnage-inside.

I HATE THIS COMPANY!!
steveballmer_developers.jpg

Nightbringer said:
Those motherfuckers just intend to kill any attempt to program a game focused to a computer which doesn't run windows. First this, later will come the fucking openGL-pwnage, with its mac&linux-pwnage-inside.

I HATE THIS COMPANY!!

IAWTP

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Does this mean that Microsoft will deliver the much anticipated sequel to Windows Pinball?

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Bill Gates said:
Microsoft: “We’re putting the ‘lame’ back in Windows”

When did they stop?...

Oh wait... *visits optician*

Animal

Banned
Man microsoft shouldn't be bloating this stuff out...they really look pretty stupid.

But when has that changed anything for them? :lol

Drek

See, now if this meant MS was going to make a streamlined gaming interface that merged current Direct X API and OpenGL API into a single package with the ability to bypass the rest of Windows bloat and go straight to the hardware, I'd be pumped for this.

Instead I realize its just MS saying "yeah, we're gonna work to further crush what little non-MS governed PC gaming is out there" so I'm not too crazy about that. ;P

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Ryudo said:
Really ? Even when they are in the PC section ?

The World of Retail is a magical, mysterious place.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
until they can fix the whole piracy problem on PCs, good luck MS. There's a reason all the big names in the PC space are either moving more work to consoles (like ID and Blizzard) or going with crazy schemes to protect their games (Valve, EA).

HokieJoe

Spider_Jerusalem said:
And vice versa, obviously. This is one of the main objectives of the XNA platform.

I understand MS's push for XNA. Easier cross development of titles is good right?

I have to say though, I don't completely understand MS's logic on pushing console AND PC gaming. IMO, it seems inevitable that 360 sales and development will cannibalize their PC gaming sector over the long haul.

I know that MS wants the PC to remain front and center for many things, but on the gaming front it seems that they want their cake and eat it to.

What am I missing?

snatches

Nightbringer said:

I HATE THIS COMPANY!!

Seriously, does Steve Ballmer have a gland disorder or what. It's like Bill Gates took one look and said "Now that's the fat sloppy bitch I wan't running my company"

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
HokieJoe said:
I understand MS's push for XNA. Easier cross development of titles is good right?

I have to say though, I don't completely understand MS's logic on pushing console AND PC gaming. IMO, it seems inevitable that 360 sales and development will cannibalize their PC gaming sector over the long haul.

I know that MS wants the PC to remain front and center for many things, but on the gaming front it seems that they want their cake and eat it to.

What am I missing?

Your missing nothing really. Just some stupid comments that don't make real since.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
HokieJoe said:

What am I missing?

No one is going to buy a XBox 360 instead of a PC.
That's pretty much what I see.

Top Bottom