• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mick Gordon publishes full statement on Doom Eternal soundtrack

Whose side are you on?

• Marty

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Mick

Votes: 139 89.1%

• Total voters

TwiztidElf

I read through some of it. I skimmed all of it. I will read it all later.
Have to say though, it reminds me a lot of my workplace...

PhoenixTank

Reading through this, Mick debunks the BS from the reddit post and offers the receipts. They've done him dirty.
The actions outlined really suggest to me that Marty Stratton is a complete sociopath. If you've never had to work under someone like this consider yourself incredibly lucky.

Brock2621

Can someone do a TLDR on this drama?
I read it all and basically Marty was a douche. Mick constantly pestered the Doom team and Marty in particular for info so that he could actually get work done but they never sent it. He would send demos only to be rejected, and then later behind his back the Doom team would use that music without Mick’s knowledge and without paying him for it. He went almost a full year without pay from them and then Marty went behind his back and published the Reddit post and trashed Mick with what seems like a ton of lies. Mick posts tons of receipts proving otherwise.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Doom 2016 soundtrack is WAY better compared to that doom platforming monstrosity
The Office Thank You GIF

Doom Eternal was pure dogshit compared to Doom 2016.

Doom slaying is mindless fun, doom puzzling is minus fun.

So it was not just the game that was shit, it was all the people behind it. Can't say I'm surprised.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Worked with Marty Stratton 20-odd years ago on PS1 Quake2, and I really liked the guy.
Was very competent and helpful, which immediately puts him in the top 2% of producers I ever encountered in the biz!

Honestly, don't know and don't care who's in the right on this topic. But I don't especially rate this dude's music anyway.

The_Mike

Just speaking as a non biased person here why wait years to say all that? I remember the reddit post trashing him.
I've read most of it.

Because he was in dialogue with I'd software.

They both agreed on not fling anything public about it, just for Marty to be a dickhead a few hours later and drops his shit online.

After that id and their lawyers reached out and said hey admit it was you who were at fault, and we give you a six digit amount of cash and will agree to never publicly speak about any Bethesda or id software again.

After reaching for an agreement for a very long time he went fuck it and went public about it.

That's the reason it took so long.

The man could do 2 things. Suck it up and get the blame, or do as he does now, openly speak about it.

Both could result in having a hard time having a career afterwards, so I would also have gone public about it.

He even publish pictures from contracts showing Marty is full of shit regarding contracts etc.

MiguelItUp

Doom 2016 soundtrack is WAY better compared to that doom platforming monstrosity
The Office Thank You GIF

Doom Eternal was pure dogshit compared to Doom 2016.

Doom slaying is mindless fun, doom puzzling is minus fun.

So it was not just the game that was shit, it was all the people behind it. Can't say I'm surprised.
If it were up to me the OSTs would've been much less Djent-like. But in the end, the 2016 OST was definitely more memorable IMO.

I enjoyed Eternal for what it was, personally. But yeah, the overall vibe of 2016 was so much better IMO. ESPECIALLY the multiplayer. The multiplayer in Eternal was atrocious, lmao.

The_Mike

If it were up to me the OSTs would've been much less Djent-like. But in the end, the 2016 OST was definitely more memorable IMO.

I enjoyed Eternal for what it was, personally. But yeah, the overall vibe of 2016 was so much better IMO. ESPECIALLY the multiplayer. The multiplayer in Eternal was atrocious, lmao.
The multiplayer is still alive and well in the first.

At least on pc.

MiguelItUp

The multiplayer is still alive and well in the first.

At least on pc.
Good to know! I appreciate the heads up! It wasn't perfect (I hated the loadouts, lol), but everything else was actually pretty damn good. I originally had hoped that Eternal would do the same multiplayer but better, woo boy was I disappointed, lol.

Sucks that this situation had to pan out the way it did, through all of this.

Roni

Gold Member
I believe Mick, what he describes is something I've felt myself: managers usually don't know how to do it, but are responsible for delivering it. Some dork fresh out of the workforce and promoted to management, probably pretty high management too, just shit the bed all over the game's development, tried to escape goat Mick to save face and even threw some hush money to try and make it all right under some bullshit contract they themselves don't value.

Bragr

Banned
- id wanted to make an early in-game soundtrack (in-game soundtrack = level music), far in advance of the game's release.
- That means the levels changed as he was delivering music, so they rejected a lot of it and changed preferences based on what sort of state the game was in. Making it hard for Mick Gorden to create songs for the levels.

- This made id angry, and they felt he was late and slow, and hard to work with.

They had some conflicts and harsh words and then id started to actively dislike him and run him over hot coals:

- They announced a Mick Gorden OST without telling him. He first saw it in the media.
- They threatened him that they were gonna come after him if he didn't deliver the OST in time.
- They didn't pay him for 11 months.
- They said they were not gonna use parts of his songs, only to turn around and use them.
- Not paying for half of his work.
- They edited his songs by copy-pasting shit together and called it a "collaborative song" and put another artist (the editor) as a co-creator.
- Bashing him and going after him at every call for being a shit worker.
- They were secretly working on an OST without him. With his music.
- They refused to talk to him, completely.
- He still wanted to make the OST for Doom Eternal.
- He had to contact Zenimax about WTF was going on.
- He managed to get a deal about making the OST through Zenimax.
- He made the OST, but id didn't want it and told him to fuck off (they paid him for that work at least).
- They "mixed" their own OST, compromised of shitty edits that are just Mick Gorden music copy-pasted on top of each other.
- id releases this copy-pasted mess of a soundtrack.

id gets a massive backlash for a terrible OST. And id blames Mick Gorden for it. Marty Straton posts a reddit post about how Mick Gorden is a dick and hard to work with and how he fucked it all up.

- Zenimax lawyers want to make a deal, they want Mick Gorden to take responsibility and say publically that he is to blame. And he can never mention id again.
- Mick Gorden gets death threats and hate from the reddit post Marty Straton made, people message him about how they want to kill him and his family. He refuses to accept whatever deal, because he can't live with all the hate.
- He writes this letter, which features details and documentation about lies and bullshit from Marty Straton and id.

Now everyone id and Marty Straton, and wants Marty Straton gone from the company.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I am glad a big lot of the users are ignoring Mick's initial statement and are just spewing vitriol towards Marty because that was totally the way Mick wanted it.

For Marty to re-activate a 3 year old dormant Reddit account to make such a wall post is not only bizarre, its also very un-Marty to do. You go from an established producer to someone best suited as Randy Pitchford's cousin. I

I refuse to believe that's totally the case. But i am not going to deny Mick's side either. The man worked with id-Soft in the past and there were no qualms. In the end Gordon was paid in full including bonuses. So why everything went to shitheel creek on Eternal just doesn't add up.

I also understand Mick's frustration with Chad. Not so much on a personal level, but i take it he is looking at that part from an audio engineer viewing point and leaving rather sour that the lead audio head at id Soft seemingly does an Audacity patchjob, degrading the mix significantly.

Mick's tell tales on how grueling the graft is recognizable from earlier stories (Brigador). Far too few people realize how daunting game/audio development can be. The fact that folks have been threatening anyone, including Mick, says more about gamers in general than it does to id, Marty or Mick.

All in all it is a sad story, but i am glad we get a glimpse of how that gamedev life is on the real side of the fence. It isn't as pretty as we tend to think.

I clicked the link and there’s a giant book of info. I’m not gonna read all that.

But what’s the gist of it? Bethesda is wrong and owes him money? Or does ot sound like he’s trying to worm his way into a payout?
If you care enough to know the gist, why care too little to read the thing? It is a good and detailed read, probably proof-read by a lawyer before hand.

Also:

My response is lengthy and detailed to prevent vague statements from turning into rumours and speculation.
He was already offered a 6 figure payout to never speak of it again, he turned it down and this is him saying 'fuck those guys, they're incompetent, i was given a nightmare situation and for anyone who cares to know the truth, here's what it was'
It's a response to bethesda dragging his name through the mud and affecting his career. if you didnt follow the last part this isnt really relevant.
This is fearmongering, because that's literally not what Gordon initially states:

This statement is not an excuse for a hate campaign. Acts of hate dished out online won’t result in any positive change. In fact, it only makes things worse.

You are randomly adding in that Mick basically defaults to ''Fuck those guys, they're incompetent''. He doesn't. What you are doing is projecting and changing the tune of his message.
Just speaking as a non biased person here why wait years to say all that? I remember the reddit post trashing him.
Most likely because Mick tried to solve this like adults + respect for Marty. As is mentioned in the read, which you would know if you read it.

Maybe that's the problem? Maybe he tried so hard to make better soundtrack that in the end he failed not only artistically but also burned trust ID had in him by failing to deliver music on time?
The real problem is people like you making giant ass assumptions out of things simply because they can't be bothered to read. I understand our generation is fucked when it comes to reading and we doze off after 100 characters but breh come on now.

He didn't provide receipts; he wrote a damn book.
If you are going to respond to a big name in the industry, you better ought to be able to articulate your counter points.

WTF. I thought that Mick Gordon thing was weird when it happened, because the accusations were too severe to pull on a collaborator, he didn't respond to the post immediately, and the fact Doom Eternal didn't have those problems ingame.

Also the fact they enlisted the help of someone else and that it sucked apart from a few tracks which excluded him from doing a bad job, if he did his work well on some tracks. Why cut shit that bad from the ingame stuff?

This Marty character is screwed, I'd hate to work under him. Mick Gordon you have my support.

I didn't enjoy Doom Eternal as much as Doom 2016, but I was looking forward for what they did next. Now if this guy is director on the next one and despite the fact that the game is developed by many people who are not at fault, I have to say I lost my interest in the series if this is how they treat the Doom 2016 composer.
Saw this earlier on. Been wondering when Gordon would reply, been worth the wait.

The dated contract email for the OST is just chefs kiss really. Makes Marty look like a right cunt.

I await the Reddit reply from Marty now, or the post just being flat out deleted.

Edit - meant contract, not NDA.
I doubt he'll reply doubling down on it, but I also doubt he'll delete it.

And the cunt seems super self-centered of what people think of him so he'll be looking over his shoulder and overthinking everything for a while now.

Personally, I hope he is held accountable for almost destroying a coworker life, and I honestly doubt that's the only time he overstepped his boundaries with other people. Chef's kiss would be more people speaking out about it. On that reddit subforum, preferably.
Whether you believe him or not is up to you. IMO Mick Gordon comes across as an entitled, shit-stirring goon. He ends the article saying "It’s time to leave this sad state of affairs behind" so I'm not sure why he decided to do this. It only solidifies that he must be a nightmare to deal with.
You're entitled to your different view of things, but wow.

I think he tried very hard to not come out as frustrated or furious that this happens, despite it being implicit.

But you have to agree he does have a point that: 1. he actually tried to do things on time, proactively but was refused 2. he was disrespected, cut off (both creatively, was gaslight and financially) and then harassed 3. he was attacked on a personal level despite delivering what he agreed to and despite the sad state of things he found after he did.

You're free to dislike him, think this is personal to him (it's his career, of course it is), but he does have a point. Nobody deserves that finger pointing reddit post, and if there were talks of a new OST afterwards it's only normal he wanted it redacted... and he did bring in the receipts for everything.
Mick should have taken that hush money IMO. I know he's trying to undo the damaged reputation but I don't think that's a battle he'll win. Digging up this drama two years later will only make people even more cautious to work with him.
He probably doesn't have to win, sometimes people just need to tell their side of the story.

And he had nothing to gain, in regards to his career, by staying silent. He should have spoken sooner though, but understandably he was trying to resolve this a different way, by having at least having the post removed.

Last edited:

Kacho

You're entitled to your different view of things, but wow.

I think he tried very hard to not come out as frustrated or furious that this happens, despite it being implicit.

But you have to agree he does have a point that: 1. he actually tried to do things on time, proactively but was refused 2. he was disrespected, cut off (both creatively, was gaslight and financially) and then harassed 3. he was attacked on a personal level despite delivering what he agreed to and despite the sad state of things he found after he did.

You're free to dislike him, think this is personal to him (it's his career, of course it is), but he does have a point. Nobody deserves that finger pointing reddit post, and if there were talks of a new OST afterwards it's only normal he wanted it redacted... and he did bring in the receipts for everything.
To be clear, I don’t have a dog in this fight. I’m just going with my gut based on all the available information that’s out there.

And that Reddit post only happened after Mick was out there shoveling shit on Twitter. He brought it upon himself and didn’t own up to anything in his blog post which is a huge red flag IMO.

I doubt id discusses this in public again. It’s a never-ending PR nightmare that their lawyers will deal with behind the scenes. Whether Mick restores his reputation is the big question. Will big pubs take a risk and work with Mick after this debacle?

In the end Gordon was paid in full including bonuses.
Except, he wasn’t, because the contract was for about 2+ hours of music and in the end they used 5 hours of music so they still owe him for the other half of the work.

Man, after the shit show with Hellena Taylor, I think Mick’s approach of trying to solve things behind the scenes and giving it time to settle down works best. I cannot blame the guy for waiting 2 years before posting. We did had DLC and even COVID in that time.

I hope he gets a proper lawyer and gets properly compensated.

jigglet

Banned
Both sides are probably right to a degree.

They are just opposite ends of the spectrum.

Mick is protecting his art. He wants his music to be integral and not just cut and paste.

The other guy wants to ship a game on time and budget. He's out to feed his family.

Two competing philosophies are always going to result in friction.

But I will tend to side with the artists most of the time.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Marty and Mick's stories are too divergent to both be right. Time to get lawyers involved and find out who is lying through their teeth.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Except, he wasn’t, because the contract was for about 2+ hours of music and in the end they used 5 hours of music so they still owe him for the other half of the work.
Except he was:

I handed over my tracks and wished them as well as I politely could. They approved my tracks and confirmed I had met my contractual obligations. The total contract amount, including the on-time bonus payment, was later
paid-out in full without dispute.

4. They paid me for the OST without dispute

Nobody argued against payment: the most substantial proof that Marty’s Reddit post is utter bullshit is the fact that they paid me afterwards for fulfilling the contract.

• id Software approved my OST contribution after I did everything asked of me.
  • Marty was part of the panel that approved it.
He then went on to make wild claims about my supposed unprofessional behaviour. But had I behaved in such a way that Marty alleges, id Software, Bethesda, and Zenimax would have had clear grounds to refuse payment. However they made no argument against it; they paid me the total contracted amount, including the on-time bonus, because I met all my contractual requirements.

He was not compensated for the rest because according to Mick that belongs in a separate contract.

ShadowNate

That's not completely right. Yes, his contracts were paid in full, but he found out that, both in-game and in the OST, they had used work of his that was supposedly discarded/rejected or was created only for draft/demo purposes.

He claims not to have been compensated for these.
The following is for the OST:
Worst of all is the inclusion of hours of music and rejected demos I was not (and still have not been) paid to produce.

Example: Final Sin — Sandy City (Track 59) was a rough idea mocked up in haste for the ending cutscene.

• This exact demo file was immediately rejected. In fact, Chad was part of the panel that rejected it. But he included the file on the album and listed himself as a co-artist, despite having absolutely nothing to do with it.
  • More importantly, the song is based on a melody written by Bobby Prince, the composer of DOOM 2, who hasn’t been credited anywhere on the album.
id Software never paid me for this demo, which was produced in good faith and not meant for public release.

I skimmed through it and what I got from it is that Reddit post completely wrecked his career and he’s trying undo that by absolving himself of all blame and making Bethesda out to be the bad guys.

As I recall, this drama surfaced in 2020 because Mick went public with it. And as the story gained traction Bethesda understandably went to Reddit to clarify and defend themselves. He claims the Reddit post was a malicious thing that came out of the left field, and that they were talking in private and agreed to do a joint public statement.

Whether you believe him or not is up to you. IMO Mick Gordon comes across as an entitled, shit-stirring goon. He ends the article saying "It’s time to leave this sad state of affairs behind" so I'm not sure why he decided to do this. It only solidifies that he must be a nightmare to deal with.
I feel the exact opposite. However you want to look at it, id fucked him over well before he said anything. Then they kept on fucking him by using music they didn’t pay for. I don’t know why he doesn’t sue. I sure would.

Edit: lawsuits can be stressful, especially to people who have never been in one. He probably wanted to avoid that and just keep making music.

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Banned
The fact that Doom Eternal’s soundtrack won awards, but those awards were collected by Marty and are sitting in id Software’s office rather than with Mick speaks volumes.
Agreed. An ultra shitty practice that is sadly par for the course in a lot of Industries.

e.g. Formula 1 outfits used to keep the trophies the drivers won. A few drivers have it stipulated in their contracts now that they keep them.

Mahnmut

Difficult to see who's right here but as a person working with big companies on a daily basis I recognize some behaviours associated with people working in big corporations. That's often what happens when artists have to deal with this type of environment. The execs have no mercy, and they'll do everything, including the shittiest moves, to avoid being blamed by higher management. I've witnessed this on so many occasions: people being thrown under the bus because a manager fucked up, reputations being ruined because someone didn't want to take the (deserved) blame, manipulation, miscommunication... It's all there.
I don’t know why he doesn’t sue. I sure would.
It would take years and lots of money and energy, I guess he wants to leave this behind him, focus on the future and putting back his carreer on track. Usually these huge companies have legions of top of the line lawyers.

Azurro

Banned
Both are to blame. Act like idiots and get stupid results.

Have you read the response? It seems it was incompetent management from Bethesda and this Marty Stratton guy who actually caused the issue in the first place.

Bethesda announced an OST without even having a contract in place for it and demanded finalised music for levels that didn't exist. That's insane mismanagement.

Last edited:
Except he was:

I handed over my tracks and wished them as well as I politely could. They approved my tracks and confirmed I had met my contractual obligations. The total contract amount, including the on-time bonus payment, was later paid-out in full without dispute.

4. They paid me for the OST without dispute

Nobody argued against payment: the most substantial proof that Marty’s Reddit post is utter bullshit is the fact that they paid me afterwards for fulfilling the contract.

• id Software approved my OST contribution after I did everything asked of me.
  • Marty was part of the panel that approved it.
He then went on to make wild claims about my supposed unprofessional behaviour. But had I behaved in such a way that Marty alleges, id Software, Bethesda, and Zenimax would have had clear grounds to refuse payment. However they made no argument against it; they paid me the total contracted amount, including the on-time bonus, because I met all my contractual requirements.

He was not compensated for the rest because according to Mick that belongs in a separate contract.
No.

He was paid for the OST he made, which was 10-12 songs (it was 12 songs but it seems the last two songs had a problem but they took it anyways because they didn’t want to extend a few more hours) as far as I understand, this OST was never released. He was paid for that job.

However, the released OST that contains a ton of poor edited music contains a lot of work that he wasn’t paid for. Also, the game contains some of this music he wasn’t paid for too.

It’s like asking you to build me a house, then you do it. I say I don’t like it, build me another one, I’ll destroy the first one. Then you build me another house to comply with my request. Then I have two houses for the price of one, because I never destroyed the first one and I’ve been renting it since.

We don’t see the contract, but it seems that Mick had to do as many hours of work as needed, as long as id only used about 2 hours of that music. The rest is id’s but it had to be vaulted, never to see the light of day. Using it in an ad or in-game or in a OST means they didn’t reject those tracks because that’s stipulates usage, meaning they lied to him saying they rejected them, but they actually liked it enough to use.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Man, Bethesda royally fucked Mick over his work.
I mean, I think his output on both Doom games is dogshit but he deserves to get paid and maybe some respect.

Seems to me like Marty wanted Mick gone and he was set up to fail. So he found a way to make it look like Mick was the problem.

Remember how id wanted an electronic soundtrack for 2016 but Gordon pushed for more guitars? And it was such a hit soundtrack that he became the public face of Doom, even more than Stratton and Hugo Martin.
Stratton and the other producers probably felt he was a diva who went against their plan and the resentment spilled over into Eternal.

As for Chad's work, he was probably crunching 25 hours a day, went "fuck this shit" when they gave him the OST job on top of that and bet the higher ups won't notice anything wrong with the rush job.

Thebonehead

Banned
Remember how id wanted an electronic soundtrack for 2016 but Gordon pushed for more guitars? And it was such a hit soundtrack that he became the public face of Doom, even more than Stratton and Hugo Martin.
Stratton and the other producers probably felt he was a diva who went against their plan and the resentment spilled over into Eternal.

As for Chad's work, he was probably crunching 25 hours a day, went "fuck this shit" when they gave him the OST job on top of that and bet the higher ups won't notice anything wrong with the rush job.

Not normally a massive fan of the metal Genre ( I Like Iron Maiden, but who doesn't? ), But it suits this game so well giving the appropriate amount of anxiety with a play through.

Couldn't think that a edm track would suit it at all.

In fact all this talk of doom has got me thirsty for some mindless carnage and made me notice 2016 isn't on GamePass

HIDagF7.png

Shut0wen

I clicked the link and there’s a giant book of info. I’m not gonna read all that.

But what’s the gist of it? Bethesda is wrong and owes him money? Or does ot sound like he’s trying to worm his way into a payout?
Bethesda had bo idea about this until mick mentioned it, i guess its martys fault, doubt most people in ID knew except management

hyperbertha

Both sides are probably right to a degree.

They are just opposite ends of the spectrum.

Mick is protecting his art. He wants his music to be integral and not just cut and paste.

The other guy wants to ship a game on time and budget. He's out to feed his family.

Two competing philosophies are always going to result in friction.

But I will tend to side with the artists most of the time.
Gotta love the average joe corporate management that refuses to pay half your work and then pays you 6 figures to stay silent (or else) to feed the family. I guess tony soprano was a family feeder too eh?

I can remember when I was playing Eternal that something felt a bit off in general about the game. Now seeing all this makes me wonder how much of a nightmare the development of it in general was. id Software really did Mick Gordon dirty with how he was treated, I've heard some shitty contractor stories, but this is easily the worst one by far.

Top Bottom