• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mergers and Acquisitions |OT| Thread Merged

Acquisitions and mergers official topic

• Is this thread organic enough?

• The thread merging will lead to the collapse of the forums industry

• Anti-trust laws should prevent people from creating threads

• This gaming forum has not been bought out

• The monopolization of OTs is bad for gaming discussion

• Your post is in talks to be acquired by another forum

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chiggs

That can play in favor of MS. Sony is japanese company. Tencent is chinese company. U.S. congress would like MS, an US company to own that company. Especially with how influential is COD. Blocking the sale would allow tencent to buy activision. They dont want that.

That's a good point. The Tencent factor. Again, I don't think it's likely we even get to that because I don't think there's a whole lot that will scuttle this deal, barring some major faux pas from MS.

But could MS use that as an angle? Absolutely. Something like:

"We want to prevent an important company with high-paying American jobs from being wrecked and sold for scrap by a foreign company."

?? Dear god you like to fucking argue a lot lol Did you even read the comment? Where the fuck did I say those are the same or something? lol

smh.

Lets say it slowly for Max, took too much of those drugs when he was fighting the gangs lol

max-payne-max-payne3.gif

"I'd say Destiny is more likely being used to keep COD on PS" Thats it......so.....yea.

I'd also argue they are deep in the ball park next to Call Of Duty

https://segmentnext.com/destiny-2-new-players/

The fact that they even gained 20 million since they left Activision goes to show just how much people fucking hated that publisher

? yet Bungie left them bud. So lets not act like Activision wasn't holding them back and the game didn't move more units after Bungie left lol

The fact that they got more players after they left that publisher shows that fail was on Activision, not Bungie or Destiny 2, as to why it did better away from that bad publisher lol

Destiny literally went F2P and they began removing content from the game lol

kingfey

Banned
Whether or not it's easier to recoup from a failed game or failed movie has no barring on anti-trust matters. I really don't understand your argument here
My argument is that Movie is much more profitable than gaming. Movies have more impact, than gaming.

Disney owns marvel, which has marvel comics, and big characters like spiderman, captain America, iron man and thor. They have star wars, which is gigantic movie IP. Then they bought Fox, which has alot of contents. This gives disney pretty much a strong start against its competitors. Infinity war, and made $2b. End game made $2.79b. Both made Star wars sales. Those are 2 marvel movies.

That how much money disney makes from their purchases.

MS on other hand, is in the gaming business. It doesnt have mass appeal like movies. As long as pc market, and mobile market exist, MS would have 8% of the gaming industry.

If Disney can get away those purchases in a bigger market, MS would not get blocked at all.

EDMIX

Don’t worry, it will sink in, give it a few years.

Already happening.

kingfey

Banned
That's a good point. The Tencent factor. Again, I don't think it's likely we even get to that because I don't think there's a whole lot that will scuttle this deal, barring some major faux pas from MS.

But could MS use that as an angle? Absolutely. Something like:

"We want to prevent an important company with high-paying American jobs from being wrecked and sold for scrap by a foreign company."
They can just say, Tencent is the n1 in the gaming market. We want compete with them, and make American companies proud.

There is also the surveillance of the chinese government, using Tencent content to spy on the Americans. COD would help them achieve that. U.S. doesnt want risk that option.

Imagine Tencent owning activision, and everyone is using tencent programs for call of duty. That is clear surveillance program for china.

?? Dear god you like to fucking argue a lot lol Did you even read the comment? Where the fuck did I say those are the same or something? lol

smh.

Lets say it slowly for Max, took too much of those drugs when he was fighting the gangs lol

max-payne-max-payne3.gif

"I'd say Destiny is more likely being used to keep COD on PS" Thats it......so.....yea.

I'd also argue they are deep in the ball park next to Call Of Duty

https://segmentnext.com/destiny-2-new-players/

The fact that they even gained 20 million since they left Activision goes to show just how much people fucking hated that publisher

? yet Bungie left them bud. So lets not act like Activision wasn't holding them back and the game didn't move more units after Bungie left lol

The fact that they got more players after they left that publisher shows that fail was on Activision, not Bungie or Destiny 2, as to why it did better away from that bad publisher lol

So going to have to add you to that good ole ignore Payne. This news will hit some harder then most =)
Is this a joke comment or not I can't tell

They can just say, Tencent is the n1 in the gaming market. We want compete with them, and make American companies proud.

There is also the surveillance of the chinese government, using Tencent content to spy on the Americans. COD would help them achieve that. U.S. doesnt want risk that option.

Imagine Tencent owning activision, and everyone is using tencent programs for call of duty. That is clear surveillance program for china.

You'd be a great lawyer lol

kingfey

Banned
That's not how it works.
it works that way.

Disney can get in to gaming market with those contents, and they will number 1. The amount of content they have with their sales is massive.

Even Warner bros can get in to gaming industry, and have more content than Sony, MS, and Nintendo combined.

Only thing that stops them is gaming production time. it will take them 10 years and 20 studios to make alot of games of their IP.

For example, Disney can buy Embracer, and just make Disney makes. That is 86+ studios making Disney owned IPs.

Menzies

Banned
How many studios did Nintendo buy?
So lose the vertical alignment with PC gaming and x86 by pivoting to something different?

Keeping the argument on track, when your closest rival is outselling you 2:1 and leveraging their position with 'friendly' deals, while making 7 new studio acquisitions themselves in the last year - I don't see this deal as 'frightening'.

EDMIX

This is news to me, I didn't know that many people "didn't care" about this.

I see now why this giant was purchased.

So they are probably looking for more whales like this that have massive IP with enormous install bases.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned

This is news to, I didn't know that many people "didn't care" about this.

So they are probably looking for more whales like this that have massive IP with enormous install bases.
If they keep it f2p, destiny would have big legs. People spend alot of money on free games.

tommib

187 million unique players?

🤯

kingfey

Banned

🤯
not to mention, the game was on gamepass with full expansion.

People like shooter games alot. Its why MS went full in on COD.

warzone has 100m players.
Fortnite has 80.4m active monthly users, not registered, but monthly players. like gamepass users.
Apex has 100m players.
Pubg has 400m life time players. Biggest shooter game users in the world. Bigger than cod. They sold 50m copies in the process. Insane amount of sales.
Overwatch with 40m players.

Those are some insane users playing those games. No wonder why everyone wants a pie of those charts.

EDMIX

If they keep it f2p, destiny would have big legs. People spend alot of money on free games.

True. I didn't even know how massive this IP has become until I started looking it up. I thought it was always at like 20 or 25 million as to my memory, it was in the ballpark of COD, but I didn't think it was like 100's of millions or anything wild like that and I was surprised to see just how massive that series got after they left Activision, like they turn into complete giants when they leave.

🤯

yea, thats even more shocking. "over 187 million unique players who have collectively played 9.8 billion hours of the game." holy fucking shit lol How come no one as talking about this before? I'm out here thinking that Sony got this mid tier shooter and find out this fucking series is some megaton type thing lol I admit, I haven't been up to date on whats going on with that IP and haven't played since Destiny 1 days, but I assumed 2 didn't do that well and people moved on to other things, I had no idea it grew to all of this.

Sensationalist media is real folks. Always look up the facts and research. I'm guilty of assuming myself, but I try to look it up if i'm not sure.

Topher

Gold Member
That's rich, coming from the guy that who tried to end the convo on his terms:

At least I didn't resort to condescending remarks like can you "chew gum and walk" nonsense. There was no need for that. Saying let's end the convo mean just that, let's end the convo. We don't have to agree.

Last edited:

Wulfer

That's not how it works.
Sorry but, this is how this works!

Disney in the film industry before Lucasfilm, Marvel and Fox. "Disney's just a animation studio they have no real power in the film industry" (the Oscars)

Disney after owning Marvel, Lucasfilm and Fox. "We should consider action adventure films from all forms of film. Let's review Disney films too since we're making this change."

Yea, it's definitely how it works!

Microsoft is like Disney and it's actually followed a similar path. They made purchases just like Disney did; carving out there own market share so, their forced to have a seat at the table. Disney had no seat and now they have a leading seat! Yea, FTC won't have a problem with MS's purchases especially after seeing Microsoft's last gen's market share! Actually, I'd say Sony would have a harder time getting Bungie than MS of Activision/Blizzard Sony looks like it's trying to lock MS out of the gaming industry (and they have been trying for a while now). Jim Ryan's own statements could come back to haunt him. Remember he said he just wasn't going after Playstation games this gen he had others in mind (during the PS5 reveal). Remember back then COD was locked down. Sony was after Bethesda's games and then they revealed KOTOR exclusive + Final Fantasy! They clearly were after anything MS could sell on it's hardware. They wanted to bully MS out! Microsoft on the other hand, looks like it's trying to grow the industry between PC, X-Box, Mobile and X-cloud anything combined with Gamepass options. Who looks evil now that the cards are on the table? Remind yourself who had the most marketshare last gen? Who was a bigger threat to the gaming industry had things continued down this path?

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
True. I didn't even know how massive this IP has become until I started looking it up. I thought it was always at like 20 or 25 million as to my memory, it was in the ballpark of COD, but I didn't think it was like 100's of millions or anything wild like that and I was surprised to see just how massive that series got after they left Activision, like they turn into complete giants when they leave.
Destiny is much bigger game on pc. Because people all around the world can play it on pc. Which is why Sony is keeping it multiplatform.

Pubg has 400m users, and sold 50m copies. And that game was just BR game. Not a game like destiny.

The f2p option allows poor players to join the game. Not to mention, the game requires normal PC. you dont need beefy PC to play it.

Chiggs

At least I didn't resort to condescending remarks like can you "chew gum and walk" nonsense. There was no need for that. Saying let's end the convo mean just that, let's end the convo. We don't have to agree.

Nice stealth edit.

Your original post, which clearly shows an "interesting" interpretation of the timeline, to say the least.

7jmG0WQ.jpg

You started this with your flippant attempt at ending the convo on your terms. I responded. You didn't like it.

You own your part; I'll own mine. And that's about the only deal there is.

I highly suspect that the timeline was
  • Microsoft and Sony were interested in Bungie
  • Bungie asked 2b+ and independent publishing
  • MS was not really willing
  • Opportunity to grab ATVI arised
  • MS pull out from the talks
  • Sony has run into a situation
    • They can potentially lose another FPS in the future (like Doom Wolf, COD)
    • They don't have successful GaaS expertise (they have a lot of live service projects in pipeline)
    • They don't have succesfull running GaaS games that brings recurring revenue
    • Bungie had a lot cards to leverage here
      • Bungie wanted to expand into other media (movies) too

Sony has been working closely with Bungie for a long time.

I don't see why their deal needs to have anything to do with MS and their Activision Acquisition. People attempt to insist that it is to me is just bizarre.

Chiggs

Nah....I just reconsidered calling you a jerk, that's all.

Huh, that's interesting. Because in the comment I took a snapshot of, it clearly looks like you tried to say you ended the conversation with me because I made a snide remark, even though I didn't make that "walk and chew gum" comment until you had already attempted to end the conversation. Guess one of us is a time traveler.

In sequence:

yZA7WBt.jpg

Ulauvsn.jpg

And your stealth edit:

wjwifCF.jpg

Last edited:
Huh, that's interesting. Because in the comment I took a snapshot of, it clearly looks like you tried to say you ended the conversation with me because I made a snide remark, even though I didn't make that "walk and chew gum" comment until you had already attempted to end the conversation. Guess one of us is a time traveler.

In sequence:

yZA7WBt.jpg

Ulauvsn.jpg

And your stealth edit:

wjwifCF.jpg

Jesus christ you need to give it a rest. You're just embarrassing yourself now

Topher

Gold Member

In sequence:

yZA7WBt.jpg

Ulauvsn.jpg

Yes, you started being condescending after I tried to end the convo. Damn.....you got me.

Tom And Jerry Smile GIF

Swift_Star

Banned

Staggering numbers.

Chiggs

Jesus christ you need to give it a rest. You're just embarrassing yourself now

It's not like I'm talking to myself here. There's clearly another party. And it's not like I'm making the stealth edits, either.

Two questions for you:

1. What size is your Topher jersey?
2. Are you so hard up for friends you have to try and endear yourself to random strangers on the internet?

Yeah it's a pretty pathetic display. I like my arguments but wow that just looks desperate.

:messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat:

That's funny, because I was thinking the exact same thing about you. I mean, you're not even a part of this!

Yes, you started being condescending after I tried to end the convo. Damn.....you got me.

Tom And Jerry Smile GIF

Yep, that's how I see it, too. But you ended it in kind of a dickish manner, hence my response. After all, I was just trying to make conversation...which is what we do on internet forums?

It's not like I'm talking to myself here. There's clearly another party. And it's not like I'm making the stealth edits, either.

Two questions for you:

2. Are you so hard up for friends you have to try and endear yourself to random strangers on the internet?

:messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat:

That's funny, because I was thinking the exact same thing about you. I mean, you're not even a part of this!

Yep, that's how I see it, too. But you ended it in kind of a dickish manner, hence my response. After all, I was just trying to make conversation...which is what we do on internet forums?

Your wife's boyfriend must have moved back in huh

Swift_Star

Banned

Two questions for you:

Im not their friends but I think this is way out of line.

Swift_Star

Banned
Thanks, Concerned Citizen.

Say, I didn't see you comment on the "wife's boyfriend" comment, or any of the other comments that have been made. Gee, why is that?
You made the terrible comment first, he just reacted to it. So maybe back off a little bit. This is not that serious and I’m not forced to intervened because you’re treating people like ass online. Just stop.

Topher

Gold Member

Two questions for you:

So you got butthurt because I said this convo was going down a rabbit hole?

Chiggs

So you got butthurt because I said this convo was going down a rabbit hole?

I think I got annoyed that you just tried to brush it off snidely when it was definitely in scope of the conversation. There were a number of eye-rolling comments in that thread from a number of people. Yours looked most reasonable, so I responded with some topical comments.

That's it. Nothing more to it.

Sorry man you're just way too argumentative for even me lmao

Nothing is keeping you here, except your interest.

Last edited:
I think I got annoyed that you just tried to brush it off snidely when it was definitely in scope of the conversation. There were a number of eye-rolling comments in that thread from a number of people. Yours looked most reasonable, so I responded with some topical comments.

Nothing is keeping you here, except your interest.

I'm here to defend my lover Topher Topher

Topher

Gold Member

I didn't mean to annoy you. I'm sorry. Can we stop now? This is infringing on my alone time with Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping .

simon cowell GIF

Top Bottom