• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mergers and Acquisitions |OT| Thread Merged

Acquisitions and mergers official topic

• Is this thread organic enough?

• The thread merging will lead to the collapse of the forums industry

• Anti-trust laws should prevent people from creating threads

• This gaming forum has not been bought out

• The monopolization of OTs is bad for gaming discussion

• Your post is in talks to be acquired by another forum

Results are only viewable after voting.

sainraja

What I DON'T want to see is another couple players get in on this. Three major players is a good number. If Apple, Google, etc show up with their platforms and start buying up publishers like EA and Ubisoft, etc, then the available games will begin to be spread too thin and the amount of hardware consumers would be required to purchase to play the major games would become overwhelming.
We shouldn't automatically assume that Apple, Google, etc would be bad. Competition is competition and Sony/Microsoft don't need to act like they are gate-keepers of the video game industry. Change can be bad and it can also be good sometimes.

Although, Google (they kinda have entered already) will just wait till Apple does what they tried better and just mimic them lol. Amazon has also entered with Luna but it's Amazon. Who knows what their plan is!

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
I don't really care either way. I prefer not having to buy multiple consoles so as long as my console of choice has some games I wanna play, I'm good. Right now I'm pretty much Switch and PC only, and there's more to play on those than I would have time for in my lifetime.

Right now pretty much only Western developers are affected and I barely play anything from them. But even if Eastern developers would get bought it wouldn't be a big deal for me personally. Lets say Sony were to buy SquareEnix, it'd be a shame that I wouldnt get to play stuff like Trials of Mana anymore, but whatever. Plenty of other games to fill that gap.

I don’t think you understand what you’re talking about AFTER the merger closes they’ll be #3. Tencent is #1 and Sony is #2. So again, how is being #3 a monopoly? Explain.

They don't care what Microsoft's current position is in the market. Their lens looks further out than you do. They care that they're one of the few forces capable of spending upwards of $100 billion and more absorbing companies.

You can play naive as much as you want, but if you can see Microsoft's warchest at play here, then so can they.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Bored To Death Yawn GIF by Rose McGowan

chonga

No more acquisitions please!!
I have a bad feeling about all this and I don´t think it will benefit us as "gamers" in the long run.
I have no evidence of this but it just feels wrong somehow. Maybe I'm wrong (most likely), I hope so.

Of course it won't. If you're picking up the crumbs of a dying company, fine. But when you're buying out functional and profitable companies then you have to pay a premium.

Guess who ultimately pays for the premium in the long run?

Customers.

yurinka

Sounds about right, but it's important to note this is not just the PlayStation division (although that will obviously get the lions share).
Sony announced today another acquisition, a Japanese mobile game dev acquired by Aniplex (Sony Music division): https://www.neogaf.com/threads/sony...e-fate-grand-order-via-aniplex.1629294/unread

But yes, it includes non-gaming stuff. As I remember in the $4B they spent last year they included there Crunchyroll and some Indian stuff (not sure what, I think tv channel or something like that).

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
In the gaming space can there really be anything bigger then the Acti-blizz 70bill buyout?

The only things I think of is sony or Nintendo being aquired.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
It's been great for me personally. Xbox now owns almost all my favorite developers so that will ensure Sony can't moneyhat them away from Xbox gamers, plus now we get them all day 1 on Game Pass for no additional charge.

Plus, it's exciting to read about these big acquisitions shaking up the gaming landscape whether it's Xbox with Acti/Blizz or Sony with Bungie. Even though I don't care about any of the games in those transactions it's interesting to see big changes happening and also the salt and tears from fanboys on both sides.

Chastten

Banned
I'm old and remember the competition between Sega and Nintendo, when exclusives were pretty much everything. One of the best generations we've ever had.

Exclusive strategies make for better games, more competitively priced products, and more value for the consumer.

If these fuckers have to fight for your hard earned cash, you get more for it.

Not sure what you're smoking but I want some of that. Nintendo was overpriced as all fuck during those generations. €70-90 not counting for inflation for a single game in the early ninetees isnt exactly 'competitively priced products' or 'value for the consumer'

jufonuk

not tag worthy
What if Sony bought out Sony?

Think about it. They could have like twice the output and twice the consoles.

It’s win win

Last edited:
They don't care what Microsoft's current position is in the market. Their lens looks further out than you do. They care that they're one of the few forces capable of spending upwards of $100 billion and more absorbing companies.

You can play naive as much as you want, but if you can see Microsoft's warchest at play here, then so can they.
No, they don't care about how much money Microsoft can spend. In fact FTC and the government are happy if big companies spend money rather than accumulate it because all that money goes into taxes or investments (and shareholders might start something, invest into something, buy property and goods and so on).

It seems like you don't understand why MS is not present when the government talks about big tech and why they mention Amazon, Google, Apple, Facebook only.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

I don’t think you understand what you’re talking about AFTER the merger closes they’ll be #3. Tencent is #1 and Sony is #2. So again, how is being #3 a monopoly? Explain.

Looking at their short term position would be super dumb, they will take into account how much they could grow with this acquisition and how much it could affect competition.

Last edited:
No, they don't care about how much money Microsoft can spend. In fact FTC and the government are happy if big companies spend money rather than accumulate it because all that money goes into taxes or investments (and shareholders might start something, invest into something, buy property and goods and so on).

It seems like you don't understand why MS is not present when the government talks about big tech and why they mention Amazon, Google, Apple.

Lmao are you being serious? With Microsoft's history? No, they are very much talking about Microsoft too with the concern around big tech. Your naivity knows no bounds

Last edited:

Mr Moose

If this is what Jim means by more acquisitions than meh. Im sure its good for their expansion but Im not a mobile gamer
Jim has nothing to do with Aniplex.
There goes some of the money Sony was going to spend in the next 2/3 years
For reference, Aniplex is owned by Sony Music, and Delight Works is the developer of the mobile game Fate / Grand Order. In the past year Sony Music generated approx $1.1 billion from its mobile game segment, which is separate from its $25 billion PlayStation business.
Do people even read the OP?

Lmao are you being serious? With Microsoft's history? No, they are very much talking about Microsoft too with the concern around big tech. Your naivity knows no bounds
Exactly due to said history Microsoft is not on that bench. You still don't understand why. Try to think what Apple, Amazon, Facebook (ok, it is a separate thing) and Google have in common (Google to a lesser extent)

Last edited:
Not sure what you're smoking but I want some of that. Nintendo was overpriced as all fuck during those generations. €70-90 not counting for inflation for a single game in the early ninetees isnt exactly 'competitively priced products' or 'value for the consumer'
That had nothing to do with competition or lack thereof. Sega Genesis games were just as expensive. The hardware on those cartridges was driving the prices.

Chastten

Banned
That had nothing to do with competition or lack thereof. Sega Genesis games were just as expensive. The hardware on those cartridges was driving the prices.
We both know that's bullshit. They raised the prices in Europe because they could get away with it. They even got fined for it in the early 2000's.

Rac3r

I agree with others that Microsoft doesn't have much of a shot at acquiring any of the Japanese publishers. But people shouldn't sleep on Nintendo. I could see Capcom going to Sony and Sega going to Nintendo.

I don't think Sony needs to worry about Square Enix considering their relationship and Japanese protection. Also too many franchises that aren't capable of running on Nintendo hardware.

Bungie was a brilliant gaming and business move because they bring a ton of knowledge on areas that Sony has been historically weak in (FPS, GaaS, Online multiplayer, mtx). It's a move that'll bolster almost all of their studios immediately. Playstation values synergy between their first party devs.

The glaring issue for Sony is that their biggest console franchise (Gran Turismo) has sold less than a quarter of what Microsoft and Nintendo's biggest franchises (Minecraft, COD, Mario, Pokemon, etc) have. Sony needs a franchise like GTA to call their own. If I'm Jim then I'm convincing Sony execs to go all in on Take-Two. It's only slightly out of their budget.

Top Bottom