• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mergers and Acquisitions |OT| Thread Merged

Acquisitions and mergers official topic

• Is this thread organic enough?

• The thread merging will lead to the collapse of the forums industry

• Anti-trust laws should prevent people from creating threads

• This gaming forum has not been bought out

• The monopolization of OTs is bad for gaming discussion

• Your post is in talks to be acquired by another forum

Results are only viewable after voting.

Interfectum

Literally anyone can post a tweet like this right now and be correct. Companies are dumping billions to avoid their money losing value of course big shit is coming.

Last edited:

Lupin25

Can definitely see more studios who thrive mostly off online/multiplayer being acquired.

Crazy to see people who are actually “disappointed” Bungie’s games will remain multi-platform.

Must. Beware. Pitchfork. Mentality…

Last edited:

TheMan

This motherfucker is just gonna say that without dropping hints??

"I know something you don't know, ha ha ha ha ha!"

Elios83

I doubt Sony or MS are making any more big moves this year, so this news is concerning.

Sony absolutely is. It's their best chance this year. Investors will see the trend and potential targets will become more and more expensive.

Microsoft will be busy to make sure the Activision deal is approved and won't end up like the botched Nvidia 40 billions ARM acquisition. So a low profile with further acquisitions will be needed to ensure everything goes smoothly.

Last edited:

Sinfulgore

Sony buying Valve would be pointless. Valve rarely makes games and has very little to offer Sony's PlayStation brand. Most console gamers probably don't even know who valve is, the last console game they made was Portal 2 11 years ago. PC gaming is an open platform, nothing is stopping Sony from making their own PC gaming hardware and they could very easily make all their exclusives come to PC day and date. They don't do this because this would be a bad business move. They release their games late on PC on purpose so people double-dip.

YukiOnna

geoffkojima.jpg
The deal is they're finally getting married.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
There's no way Gabe is giving up autonomy, not even a little. If you followed the man's career and general philosophy regarding any tech industry you'd realize chances are slim he'd sell.

But hey it's 2022 and we've been through some wild rides. Who knows?

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Valve didn't like MS because back on the 360 they didn't want to let them update games with free content without getting paid, not sure if the relation has changed since. But back then it led to Gabe appearing on stage at Sony's E3 conference to tout the PS3 version of Portal 2 which would feature Steam integration.

It seems that Valve and Sony have enjoyed a good relationship since then with Sony games appearing on Steam and Alyx potentially being a launch title for PSVR2. That's why I think that if Valve did sell it would be to Sony rather than to MS. Since it's not publicly traded they can decide who buys them if they even decide to sell.

not sure if the relation has changed since
Using such an old story when we have a much more recent one.

You really are thinking about this too emotionally. From "Valve is only worth 12 billion" to now this. You even think they won't negotiate or offer a deal to Microsoft first.
It seems that Valve and Sony have enjoyed a good relationship since then with Sony games appearing on Steam
Versus MS who releases everything day 1 on steam.
Alyx potentially being a launch title for PSVR2.
Now you are just adding rumors to feel better.
That's why I think that if Valve did sell it would be to Sony rather than to MS. Since it's not publicly traded they can decide who buys them if they even decide to sell.
giphy.gif

This guy actually thinks they won't evevn negotiate with Microsoft over something like that. Oh but "Valve decides who buys them" is a good reason to write a fanfic.

Andodalf

Banned
I think i read this morning that AT&T just spun off their WarnerMedia and consolidated in a deal or something? So maybe they are going to be selling of WB game studios after all? We may hear about Sony or MS buying them soon. Sony makes sense cause they're investing in fighting games more lately. But then that could fill a void for MS? Dunno.
Nobody wants them without their IP

Lupin25

Situations involving acquisitions and other business-related transactions are known WELL in advance.

Conglomerates as big as Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft are seeing developments transpire months/years before we do.

Panic buys are not what huge, forward-thinking successful companies tend to do.

Last edited:
I share your dream OP. However this is all happening alongside a transition towards games being tied to subscription services rather than hardware platforms. So I fear this will bring first party studios down to current third party quality as opposed to elevating them like you're hoping for.

It'll become less about trying to create experiences to show off what your platform can do and more about who can get the most addictive Skinner box playable on Grandma's toaster in China.

blacktout

I think most GAF doesn't want these acquisitions to happen. It's more about having the games you like inside your ecosystem right now.

I always played on Sony consoles and i "want" them to buy Square-Enix not because of console warring, but because i don't want to lose access to those games.

What's funny is that while discourse about these acquisitions almost exclusively happens through a console war lens, it's increasingly clear that the actual reason Microsoft and Sony are engaging in these spending sprees is because they're preparing for the post-console future. They're trying to figure out how to create platforms and services that transcend the old "whatever box is in your living room governs what you play" paradigm. Microsoft clearly wants GamePass on everything (including PS5 and Switch) and Sony's "Bungie will remain multiplatform" statement hints that they're building some bigger box-neutral service as well. Most motherfuckers here are fighting the last war.

That said, who knows what Nintendo's doing/planning. Seems like they've largely rebuffed Microsoft's attempts to get GamePass on Switch so far, and their own subscription service is obviously a mess and still in its infancy. But then Nintendo is cleaning up with their current approach and has always been an idiosyncratic and opaque black box as far as strategy is concerned.

Last edited:

aclar00

Neither, Sony did it for the mula and possibly sharing of resources and technologies.

The closest reasoning Sony would due this for "powa" is to have their games (even if only Bungie's) on mutiple consoles, however, Playstation Studios logo will likely not be on Bungie games. This is probably what Sony wants too. They get the mula without being directly associated with their rivals ecosystem.

Interfectum

What's funny is that while discourse about these acquisitions almost exclusively happens through a console war lens, it's increasingly clear that the actual reason Microsoft and Sony are engaging in these spending sprees is because they're preparing for the post-console future. They're trying to figure out how to create platforms and services that transcend the old "whatever box is in your living room governs what you play" paradigm. Microsoft clearly wants GamePass on everything (including PS5 and Switch) and Sony's "Bungie will remain multiplatform" statement hints that they're building some bigger box-neutral service as well. Most motherfuckers here are fighting the last war.

That said, who knows what Nintendo's doing/planning. Seems like they've largely rebuffed Microsoft's attempts to get GamePass on Switch so far, and their own subscription service is obviously a mess and still in its infancy. But then Nintendo is cleaning up with their current approach and has always been an idiosyncratic and opaque black box as far as strategy is concerned.
Nintendo can ride out this storm pretty easily with another, more powerful Switch and more of the same games they've been making so far.

This might actually play to Nintendo's benefit as these giants trip over themselves spending billions on devs, streaming and subscriptions... They can see how this trend all shakes out and jump on 10+ years later with their shit.

Airbus Jr

Banned
This entire situation about whos buying whos is not good imo

Really getting sicked of it

I hope this is the last of it but im kinda doubt it

Wish Sony and Ms can be like Nintendo and play along nicely by not removing games from other platform

Last edited:
By 'everything on everything' if you mean that we'll get a billion different game streaming services like we have now for TV? Sure.

We were promised television utopia unburdened from the strings of big cable companies. A la cart channel and content viewing. Everything on everything......for $15 a month....each company.....content fragmentation...everywhere.

Expect more of the same.

Youll go from paying $400 once a generation and a dozen $60 games over 6 years. To $20 a here, $30 there, $50 here for the platinum tier and $60 on you card for the pay by minute plan there...MONTHLY.....FOR LIFE.
Does anyone really pay more for their streaming content than when they had cable? I was an early adopter, cut cable back in 2010. At the time I was on some mid tier cable package plus internet for like $110 a month. Now I pay like $55 for internet, $15 for Netflix, $8 for Disney, and $10 for Amazon. That's $88 a month and I don't have to deal with commercials, DVRs, cable boxes, contracts with cancellation fees, and I get the content I want on demand. Sometimes I cancel my Netflix when we aren't watching enough, and other times I've subscribed to Hulu, HBO, or Paramount when I want to watch a series or movie. It makes no sense to pine for the days of monolithic cable companies charging you $65-100 bucks to get a bunch of shit you never watch, to have it be infested with commercials, and to not be able to cancel at will.

Even if we have five different gaming subscription companies in the future things are not getting worse. You can subscribe and cancel at will. You will still be able to purchase games separately. It's just like people pining for the old days of gaming with physical only games, game rentals being the only way to try something, game magazines being our only source of news, and 900 numbers existing for game tips. All of those things are worse than what we have now.....

MikeM

Not everyone wants to "feed" 2 pieces of gaming hardware. I most certainly won't buy 2 consoles. I'd rather sacrifice certain IPs than buying multiple consoles or building an expensive PC. I have plenty of friends that game on PC and i witness their headaches waiting for stuff to be patched or graphical bugs that need time to be solved, etc...not even mentioning how many of them are waiting to actually buy a new graphic card. It's just not worth the trouble for me.

That said, buying a Series S + Gamepass is not out of my mind for sure. Specially in Portugal. I've seen Series S at a discount for 270€ + free Gamepass for 3 months, lmao.
Its getting to the point that PC might be the best option (ignoring cost).

They can't acquire Valve because then they could be looking at serious anti-trust monopoly investigations. Steam makes up at least 90% of PC game software sales (it's probably slightly more now; GOG's been suffering lately), so that revenue combined with PlayStation's revenue would likely easily put them out as the #1 gaming division, ahead of Tencent, and give them an even larger slice of the gaming market.

But the sheer marketshare of Steam would have regulators thinking long and hard about how any other company acquiring them would intend to leverage that platform. Growing something like Steam to where it is now from grassroots, the way Valve did, is perfectly fine. They obviously have way more than 51% of the PC games market, but it's because they offered the best storefront. Someone else sweeping in and purchasing Valve, thereby just buying up that PC storefront marketshare, isn't exactly something regulators turn a blind eye to, since it's not the type of "natural" competition they favor in a capitalist market.

Doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but it'd be a virtually nil chance of it occurring. Same can be said for another company like Microsoft if they were to try acquiring Valve, it'd just bring too much hassle. That said, if we're talking about Sony and PC storefronts, since they are expanding into the PC space and (IMO) they wouldn't want to do Day 1 on PC unless they can lock down a storefront for themselves, I think finding a way to get at GOG (whether a strategic partnership or acquisition) would be a business move towards ensuring that.

With a storefront infrastructure and launcher already there in GOG and GOG Galaxy, Sony could just integrate their own features and technologies on top of that, probably leverage some of Bungie's tech in that, and just rebrand it as a PlayStation Storefront & Launcher for PC. Find a way to monetize it with different tiered subscription plans: a "Free" plan that's ad-supported, and other plans that remove ads and adds in PS+ and PS Now perks for users on PC that can be leveraged on PC and PlayStation consoles. With their own storefront, they keep 100% of 1P software sales profits, and they can also incentivize PS devs/pubs to effortlessly provide PC versions of their games on their storefront. Not to mention the various PS1/2/3/PSP/Vita games they can introduce for streaming on cheaper tiers and potential native play on the higher tiers.

I think once they do this, Sony finally does Day-and-Date on PlayStation and PC, for all of their games. Because by that point they can cover any "lost" console sales from converts going PC, through subscription plans on their storefront/launcher. The only potential trouble point would be if Sony's willing to provide cross-buy type of support for games between PlayStation and their PC storefront. I think they may do that for those who set up their subscriptions with a PlayStation console, which could basically extend equivalent privileges between the PlayStation and PC accounts for the same user.

Basically, every Spartacus account created on a PlayStation unlocks the equivalent on PC and users can share & transfer owned games, Trophies etc. between them, and you pay for them as if they are the same one account. However, an account made on PC requires a nominal small fee when sharing it to a PlayStation console to unlock similar shared file usage & perks between the PC side and PlayStation side (though things like cross-platform play is available regardless by default).

They could either enter a tight partnership or acquire CDPR/GOG for this, or partner with EGS to do such, tho in the latter's case it'd be a bit difficult because IIRC Epic lowered their cut of 3P revenue to 10% or something, they probably can't go back and increase that cut to the usual 30% and even if they did, they'd still probably want 10% so Sony just collects the 20% instead. So going after GOG wholesale would actually work out better for them, plus it has more of a footprint and legacy than EGS in the storefront space. Nothing compared to Steam, of course, but it'd be enough to get started, IMO.

Larvana

...And that's Valve. Valve is valued at around $12B which should make it easily affordable to Sony. Buying Valve would instantly give Sony the lion's share of the PC market and let them compete on two platforms the way MS currently does. It would boost their VR capabilities as well and they would have a portable system in the form of Steamdeck. Sony have been pretty cozy with Valve lately, porting many of it's exclusives to PC and putting them on Steam rather than creating their own launcher/service with PlayStation branding. Rumors also suggest that Valve is porting Half-Life Alyx to the PSVR2 as a launch title. It would be good for Sony but also for gamers who could hope to get PlayStation exclusives day one on PC and potential sequels like Half-Life 3 and Portal 3 that Valve haven't been interested in making despite heavy demand.

Some might suggest Epic as an alternative but Epic is more than double the price ($28B), has less market-share with its PC store and there could potentially be opposition to deal from a legal standpoint seeing as Unreal Engine is widely used by devs across all platforms. And while Fortnite would be a huge get, I feel like Valve IPs will have better value in the long run, as Fornite's popularity is sure to fade when the next big thing comes around as today's youth are very fickle-minded.

I certainly would welcome it. I think all these acquisitions by both MS and Sony are a good thing because I don't believe they are doing this so much in a bid to compete with each other but rather to fend off Apple, Google, Meta and Amazon who are eager took take over gaming and have the cash to buy whoever they want in order to do so. I also feel like many studios and publishers would much rather be bought by MS or Sony than by those other huge corporations that don't have the pedigree in gaming that MS and Sony have.
lol, I mean it makes sense for Sony and Epic Games, but come on... Valve.

nikolino840

Because there’s no reasonable way someone could conclude that Microsoft would harm the industry or have a monopoly with this acquisition.

It’s already been said ad nauseam that Microsoft would only be the third largest publisher, behind Sony and Tencent, after this goes through. And there are plenty of other publishers in the industry.

It’s the US Government doing due diligence. And the $3b blackout fee is substantial, which means Microsoft believes it won’t have issues clearing any hurdles.
Yeah but journous like shreier are not of the same advice

Knightime_X

The base value is not all you have to pay.
A company could be worth 1b but you would need to fork over 13b for other reasons.

Just because something is valued at X doesn't mean its for sale at X value cap.
Y and Z equations also play a role, raising (or lowering) the price significantly.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Remember when MS tried with Nintendo in the early 00's?
Repeat that reaction with anyone and valve today.

Also, just because it's valued at something doesn't mean you'll be able to buy at that price. lol no

Gamezone

Gold Member
I'm glad to be a PC gamer at this point when games who used to be multi platform now are being bought into console exclusivity. Meanwhile Sony and Microsoft are embracing PC.

ButchCat

What if this is another Microsoft Acquisition and that Sony only responded with the Bungie buyout because they knew that Activision wasn't the end of it.

Roxkis_ii

I hope no one ever buys valve, and I don't even game on PC anymore. This buying all the gaming companies is going to be a sickness that shouldn't be encouraged.

CheeseCake

What if this is another Microsoft Acquisition and that Sony only responded with the Bungie buyout because they knew that Activision wasn't the end of it.

Wouldn't go well for Microsoft, since they're currently busy getting their Activision buyout approved by the government.

I don’t think it has anything to do with microsoft buying them, I don’t think MS were interested.

I think after the Bethesda deal went through last year a lot of pressure was on Sony to show their strength as the leading next gen platform holder. They shopped around who they could get and where they were lacking as a business ( first person shooters ) and after creating a good business deal with securing the year long exclusivity deal with Bungie it seemed like the best option.

it needed to be a big deal one larger than an insomniac or firespite but there probably wasn’t too many options.

I don’t think it is a good deal for Sony at all, Bungie absolutely pulled the Ace card in this negotiation.

I don’t think it’s got anything to do with activision but everything with having to show a market leading mentality after the Bethesda deal.
Yeah this is a reaction to the Zenimax deal, there is no reaction to the Activision deal as it is too massive for Sony to counter.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Every time i refresh GAF right now i'm afraid of what i'll find.

Fuck it. Throw everything at us. I'll pretend to be shocked as usual.

This is me every time I go diving. When I climb back on the boat and check my phone, it’s BOOM Microsoft bought Activision, BOOM Sony bought Bungie

DarthPutin

Certainly more buy-outs are coming, but isn't he saying "video game deals?" Sounds more like temp exclusives a-la Kotor and the like?.. Is the board so traumatized all we hear is "acquisitions"?

Publishers buyouts would also be above Geoff's paygrade, while game releases/premiers absolutely would not.

Top Bottom