• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MEGA fight between Tyson Fury and Oleksandr Usyk is about to be made

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/b...ake-undisputed-clash-Oleksandr-Usyk-next.html

first time since 2000 that a HW undisputed fight where are 4 belts are on the line

who takes this?

2560.jpg

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
Want Tyson to win for the legacy
but imagine Usyk's legacy if he won....first undisputed cruiser to also be undisputed HW, he would go down as one of the all time greats...

feel like Fury has more to lose in this fight in a loss. if he loses he lost to a guy many thought wasn't big enough to be a HW

Apocryphon

usyk is an phenomenal talent

although don't understand what the outfit and that hairstyle was at the press conference leading up to the joshua rematch

FaYMB7VX0AUJue6
Presumably something traditionally Ukrainian. The guy is a lot of fun. I don't think he'll be able to cope with Furys size, but in a perfect world he'd beat the overgrown muppet. Fury has only ever looked impressive against Wilder. He's a fucking bum who's biggest win that wasn't over Wilder was against Wlad. He's fought nobody else significant and is nowhere near as good as Lewis, Vitali, or Holyfield were. He's quick for his size but he's cherrypicked every opponent he's had. Fucking gobshite.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
Presumably something traditionally Ukrainian. The guy is a lot of fun. I don't think he'll be able to cope with Furys size, but in a perfect world he'd beat the overgrown muppet. Fury has only ever looked impressive against Wilder. He's a fucking bum who's biggest win that wasn't over Wilder was against Wlad. He's fought nobody else significant and is nowhere near as good as Lewis, Vitali, or Holyfield were. He's quick for his size but he's cherrypicked every opponent he's had. Fucking gobshite.
are we forgetting that Fury was dealing with mental illness, drugs, suicide and literally took 3 years off from boxing, ballooned up to 400lbs. those 3 years being away have alot do with his resume being pretty thin. but It's still amazing he came back, became champ and is now a fight away from being undisputed for the first time in the 4 belt era. No one gave him a chance against Wilder in the first fight, they though he was chasing one last pay day. No one thought he was going to be champ again.

sorry I have to fundamentally disagree with you, his resume isn't that good (for reasons mentioned) but in terms of H2H ability... His size mixed with his skillset, footwork, speed etc. etc. is virtually unprecedented for fighters his size, makes him a tough challenge for any all time great

Last edited:

Apocryphon

are we forgetting that Fury was dealing with mental illness, drugs, suicide and literally took 3 years off from boxing, ballooned up to 400lbs. those 3 years being away have alot do with his resume being pretty thin. but It's still amazing he came back, became champ and is now a fight away from being undisputed for the first time in the 4 belt era. No one gave him a chance against Wilder in the first fight, they though he was chasing one last pay day. No one thought he was going to be champ again.

sorry I have to fundamentally disagree with you, his resume isn't that good (for reasons mentioned) but in terms of H2H ability... His size mixed with his skillset, footwork, speed etc. etc. is virtually unprecedented for fighters his size, makes him a tough challenge for any all time great
Fury was caught doping and was banned. I have never bought the mental health bullshit; it's all an act used to promote him. Fuck the guy. He's a boxer and you don't get credit for cherrypicking opponents. He isn't going to be remembered as one of the greats because he's barely fought anybody worth talking about save for Wilder, a guy who has virtually no ring IQ, and Wlad before he hired Emanuel Steward. Fury's a loudmouth cunt that plays to the press and Usyk is hugely more likable and easily as skilled. Fury and Joshua both are embarrassments in equal measure.

Pulling for Usyk here: a class act who has an entire nation behind him. Fury is no fucking joke though so this should easily be the biggest HW fight of the decade.

Fury was caught doping and was banned. I have never bought the mental health bullshit; it's all an act used to promote him. Fuck the guy. He's a boxer and you don't get credit for cherrypicking opponents. He isn't going to be remembered as one of the greats because he's barely fought anybody worth talking about save for Wilder, a guy who has virtually no ring IQ, and Wlad before he hired Emanuel Steward. Fury's a loudmouth cunt that plays to the press and Usyk is hugely more likable and easily as skilled. Fury and Joshua both are embarrassments in equal measure.
i love it when somebody also sees through his mental health lies, made up to get the public back on his side.

So, which world class heavyweights should Fury have fought? Who has he ducked when 'cherry picking' his opponents?

Apocryphon

So, which world class heavyweights should Fury have fought? Who has he ducked when 'cherry picking' his opponents?
Ortiz, Parker, Haye, Price, Povetkin, Joshua, Arreola, Dimitrenko, Sprott, Williams, Takam, Breazeale, the Wlad rematch.... any of those would have been better than the majority of people he's fought in the last 15 years.

Ortiz, Parker, Haye, Price, Povetkin, Joshua, Arreola, Dimitrenko, Sprott, Williams, Takam, Breazeale, the Wlad rematch.... any of those would have been better than the majority of people he's fought in the last 15 years.
So Haye, who lost to Klitchko, is better than actually fighting Klitchko?
Povetkin and Parker who lost to Dillian Whyte are better than actually fighting Dillian Whyte?
Joshua, who lost twice to Usyk, is better than potentially fighting Usyk?
Ortiz, Price, Arreola, Dimitrenko, Sprott, Takam and Breazeale have never won world titles but they're better than actual champions?
When you say Williams, please tell me you don't mean Danny Williams? The 49 year old who has lost 30 fights????

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Win/Win, both are fantastc and whilst I'd like Fury to win slightly, I'm also a fan of Usyk too.

Despite being a Brit, I was happy to see Usyk wreck AJ twice.

Cyberpunkd

Congrats to Fury for the hussle because I detest his fighting style. What a time to be alive where HW champion is a blob of fat and using that to win.

Both are supremely skilled boxers (I think Usyk is the better of the two), but Fury is a mountain of a man...I am not sure Usyk will be able to fend off all that mass...

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Lol. David "little toe" Haye! Fury was going to fight him, but Haye pulled out because he suffered a cut above his eye less than two weeks before the fight.

You can't say Fury cherry picks and should have fought Haye when the fight was planned, but Haye pulled out!

Joshua! Fury was up for fighting Joshua. That fight was pretty much ready to go, but then Wilder came in and forced through the trilogy fight in court. Again, you can't accuse Fury of dodging Joshua when that fight was ready to go. Wilder fucked that one up.

Apocryphon

So Haye, who lost to Klitchko, is better than actually fighting Klitchko?
Povetkin and Parker who lost to Dillian Whyte are better than actually fighting Dillian Whyte?
Joshua, who lost twice to Usyk, is better than potentially fighting Usyk?
Ortiz, Price, Arreola, Dimitrenko, Sprott, Takam and Breazeale have never won world titles but they're better than actual champions?
When you say Williams, please tell me you don't mean Danny Williams? The 49 year old who has lost 30 fights????
No you're right, Wallin, Schwarz, Pianeta, Seferi, Hammer, Abell, and Cunningham are all bigger names 🤣 GTFO with that shit. Fury has fought Wilder, Chisora, and Klitschko. Whyte if we're being generous. He doesn't even stack up against Vitali's legacy nevermind Wlad or fighters like Lewis. Guy's a fucking lanky joke that thinks he's literally the best to ever do it.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
the doping was found during the Hammer fight, he still fought Wlad after that

and i believe the doping was never that serious because they would of reversed Furys' win over Hammer to a "no contest" but it's still there as a win

Last edited:

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
No you're right, Wallin, Schwarz, Pianeta, Seferi, Hammer, Abell, and Cunningham are all bigger names 🤣 GTFO with that shit. Fury has fought Wilder, Chisora, and Klitschko. Whyte if we're being generous. He doesn't even stack up against Vitali's legacy nevermind Wlad or fighters like Lewis. Guy's a fucking lanky joke that thinks he's literally the best to ever do it.
he beat literally, arguably, the greatest power puncher of all time 2 (should of been 3) times

Apocryphon

he beat literally, arguably, the greatest power puncher of all time 2 (should of been 3) times
He did, but Wilder's resume is as unimpressive as Fury's. Neither of them should be considered great boxers. Wilder also has zero ring IQ. He hits hard, but has only ever really been tested by Fury and a 40 year old Ortiz.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
He did, but Wilder's resume is as unimpressive as Fury's. Neither of them should be considered great boxers. Wilder also has zero ring IQ. He hits hard, but has only ever really been tested by Fury and a 40 year old Ortiz.
if he beats Usyk would you at least give him some respect?

Romulus

Who else should Fury and Wilder be fighting then to have an impressive resume?

Apocryphon

if he beats Usyk would you at least give him some respect?
Yes. I don't think Usyk is near big enough to cause him serious problems but he's certainly the most skilled fighter Fury will have ever fought and will require some actual skill to put away.

I suspect Fury is genuinely close to retirement now, so unless he thinks he can cash in on a big fight in the UK with Joshua Usyk may be the last time we see him go at it. Not sure many people want to see Joshua keep fighting though, his stock has dropped considerably in the last 5 years and he really doesn't like being hit in the face since Ruiz fucked him up in New York.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Didn't Fury "retire" recently?

I swear I remember seeing something about it on ESPN a few weeks ago.

DJ12

Who did he avoid?
Joshua and Klitschko.

Could've easily paid hillbilly wilder 10 million to step aside to fight Joshua when he agreed, but no, easy route it was.

He also avoided whyte until it was forced despite saying the first thing he would do was give him the fight when he wo the belt.
Doesn't really have the mainstream appeal of Fury. Fury really put the sport back on the map is a big way
And lol. Fury wouldn't have come back if Joshua hadn't appeared, you are a delusional fury fan I see. Although he's a great boxer he couldn't sell out a 2 Bob arena in America fighting wilder, get you head checked.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Furys legacy is of a man that avoided big fights that he might lose. If Joshua had won he'd not have come back for all his talk. He sees usyk as an easy win. He's in for a shock.

Clearly not true.

A fight between Fury Vs Joshua was planned and agreed. Everything was ready to go in Saudi Arabia, but then Wilder took his case to court and forced through the trilogy fight. Fury then had no option but to fight Wilder again.

To say Fury avoids challenging fights is laughable.

Didn't Fury "retire" recently?

I swear I remember seeing something about it on ESPN a few weeks ago.

He made a promise to his wife that he would retire after his last fight against Dillian Whyte. As it stands, he is still retired.

I never said they were bigger names but the people you listed weren't exactly prime Tyson or Ali. Most boxers tend to work their way up to fighting the best names later in their career once they've established themselves. You can find one or two exceptions to that but it's very unusual.

If you beat the best in the world, who cares if he didn't beat the second best.

Last edited:
Fury got caught using cocaine. The mental health shit was just to cover up he was a known coke user.

In fact friend of mine was at house party with him before he was a big name and he was racking up lines she said.

Unfortunately it's hard to comment on fury not fighting good people. The heavy weight division has been shit for years, there was no one good for him to really fight.

Last edited:
Fury got caught using cocaine. The mental health shit was just to cover up he was a known coke user.
Wasn't it due to the nandrolone in his system, and then he blamed it on boar meat. The farmer involved said he had supplied it but then later denied it (the whole story is weird and I doubt we'll find out what really happened).

-

It's hard to say if this fight really happens but I've got Fury winning. Usyk is good/skilled but Fury really knows how to use his weight/size/length, but there are 2 main reason he wins:
  • because he knows how to use "dirty" tactics (which is a part of boxing and I'm fine with it if the referee doesn't call it)
  • and like Usyk, he's good stamina

DJ12

Clearly not true.

A fight between Fury Vs Joshua was planned and agreed. Everything was ready to go in Saudi Arabia, but then Wilder took his case to court and forced through the trilogy fight. Fury then had no option but to fight Wilder again.

To say Fury avoids challenging fights is laughable.
Utter twaddle it's well known wilder would've stepped aside for 10 million, and fought the winner.

Why go for wilder and not Joshua in the first place. Wilder for all his power is an awful boxer and easy work for fury.

Joshua far more of a threat, hence no fight.

Easy to say Joshua's not good enough now he's been beaten twice by a p4p great, let's see what happens if fury loses to Usyk

Last edited:
Top Bottom