• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferr986

Hmm, Im kinda lost. Reading the comments here it seems like the game got 4/10 or something like that, yet I see the reviews and aren't ... that bad?

For what I'm reading seems like a decent game, just not at the level of the original, but that's seems far for the doom and gloom I'm reading here :/

Trey

The opportunity was there after three games to truly focus on the things that make Mass Effect great. It's a shame that in many ways Andromeda is a missed opportunity.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Never trusting shinobi on anything bioware again. Hyped it to be a 90 game.

The only person you shouldn't ever trust again is yourself.
I mean the guy clearly outlined it was impressions from the first 3 hours everyone by now should fucking know how meaningless that is for a RPG that probably is 20 times that for its complete length. So be smarter and stop blaming other people for your lack of judgement. His impressions were a 100% fine.

As long as this game is more Like ME1 rather than 3, I'll enjoy it.

How did ME3, a generic shooting game, end up getting such high scores is beyond me.

Weebos

Banned
Hmm, Im kinda lost. Reading the comments here it seems like the game got 4/10 or something like that, yet I see the reviews and aren't ... that bad?

For what I'm reading seems like a decent game, just not at the level of the original, but that's seems far for the doom and gloom I'm reading here :/

Yeah, from the reviews the game seems fine. Not as good as I would like, but not as bad as I feared.

Audioboxer

Expectations were high for a series that has critically knocked it out of the park. It's hard to regress to mediocrity and accept it after waiting 4~5 years for this.

Truant

The opportunity was there after three games to truly focus on the things that make Mass Effect great. It's a shame than in many ways Andromeda is a missed opportunity.

That's what happens when you put your CCC team on your AAA game.

That's because these scores are not up to what you might expect from Mass Effect. So for the franchise this is pretty bad.

thumb

Banned
Why would they have to eat crow in regards to that specific matter? The guy had a very questionable opinion about a basically universally loved and lauded game within the same genre as the one he was criticizing. If you can't question someone's opinion with that in your back pocket, when can you? Even a broken clock, and all that.

Okay, but it was a single tweet about the Witcher 3, not a review. This tweet is essentially being used to dismiss his long-form writing in other examples, even when he explains in detail why something isn't working.

"This feels like a direct-to-video sequel to Mass Effect."

Jeff Gerstmann summed up what I was feeling during the preview phase so eloquently. Sad and disappointing that Andromeda ended up this way.

FLEABttn

Banned
On any other scale a 7.5 would be pretty solid, yet gamers continue to amaze me with their collective perception that "less than 8.5 and it's utter garbage!"

On a grading scaling, a 7.5 is a C. Passing, but not solid.

If the industry could actually use the full 1-10 scale, on a consistent basis, 75 would be a "good" score. But since they don't anything in the 70 range is pretty Average.

Hypothetical changes to how games are reviewed doesn't really change the conversation about ME:A reviewers scoring a game lower because they think it's less good. If ME1-3 are all a 7.5 - 8 on that scale, ME:A probably still isn't a 75.

I will appreciate the day when "the game is huge!!!!!" Is not seen as some badge of honor. Obviously this is not happening in the AAA space barring some crash but there are like three or four studios in the world that can make a HUGE!!!!! game that's not full of filler or is shit. Bioware clearly is not that.

Bring the budget down. Bring the focus in.

This please. When someone brags about how large their game it, it gives me pause. I'm certainly not going to be as enthralled with it at hour 80 as much as their project manager and sales guy say I will be.

Nintendo ... cd projekt... who else ?

One game doesn't make Nintendo masters of the open world.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

ME2 got a 97...

I think any reception outside of earth shattering reviews on the same level would give some people reason for pause, and cause the hardcore fanbase to get ornery

Banned
:(

My most hyped game of the last four years next to Zelda

Me right now:

kStAi9n.gif

Vinc

Not utter garbage, just mediocre.

If the industry could actually use the full 1-10 scale, on a consistent basis, 75 would be a "good" score. But since they don't anything in the 70 range is pretty Average.

With the games out this quarter, Average won't cut it, let alone it being in the series where there was at least one Game of the Year contender.

Or the average game is pretty good, and deserves around 7 according to them? I don't get why 5 HAS to be the average score, that makes no sense.

GlamFM

Banned
You think they talked about the weather when shinobi met a bunch of bioware guys?

What are you implying here?

What kind of bullshit is this?

You think he was payed to give us his impressions?

Because if not you should just shut up.

Shinobi is a ME fan. he gave us his impressions after 3 hours.

End of fucking story.

The villian in Mass Effect Andromeda feels a lot more determined and passionate than any of the main characters.
He feels like a convincing individual with motivations and beliefs.
If you ask me I would rather be on his side, even that means I am the bad guy.

Jm2ZKMR.png

YfCiyKl.png

At least it's a lot more interesting than these generic, tryhard, bland, soulless teenage movie stars.

nyjrH8o.png

Ryzaki009

I see why he left tho. God forbid you like a game that's not critically well received. Clearly you can't just have different tastes nah you were bought and payed for.

BearPawB

Banned
The only person you shouldn't ever trust again is yourself.
I mean the guy clearly outlined it was impressions from the first 3 hours everyone by now should fucking know how meaningless that is for a RPG that probably is 20 times that for its complete length. So be smarter and stop blaming other people for your lack of judgement. His impressions were a 100% fine.

Except I have also played the first 3 hours and they are really really bad.

Yet people jump through hoops defending his impressions.
I am glad he enjoyed it!
I wish I did!

But we can't have it both ways where we have like a giant thread about what Shinobi thinks, then a few days later say "why does anyone care?"

Continuation of what made the series good while not being impressive by itself.
What made the series good for me was engaging dialog, exploration and an interesting story. None of those things were present in ME3.

But unlike other games, people can play Mass Effect games for different reasons.

Fanuilos

End of fucking story.

And he is repeatedly linking the playstation store page for the game on twitter. I get enjoying a game and wanting people to play it, but he is too insistent on this one.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

End of fucking story.

post-35802-Im-sensing-a-little-hostility-FxHI.gif

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

What games actually get 4s nowadays. Sites generally don't review such games because they're mostly unknown and probably won't get clicks anyway.
Fact of the matter is the landscape is dominated by 8s. A 7 is clearly below the overall average.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom