• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 PC Gamer Details [Up3: Four Demos At E3, 30+ Minute Livestream]

Rufus

Fimbulvetr said:
Good thing he's a natural born leader and an icon,
By virtue of being controlled (and written) by Conrad Verners.

Kinyou said:
Gah, don't remind me of her. There was absolutely no logical reason why choosing Samara over her would give you Paragon points.
I don't like the whole points business, but choosing anyone over the serial killer seems pretty consistent with the system. You could argue that the concept of judge and executioner that the justicars embody is pretty twisted as well, but I guess her motivations speak in favor of her.
Does the game ever explore the concept of the justicars? I don't remember.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Samara talks about the Justicars with you on the Normandy and the blue chick in her recruitment mission gives you a run down on them as well.

It's nothing that interesting, though. They're just like mercenaries with some silly code that they have to follow.

Firestorm

"The Seatle/Vancouver megacity on the west coast of North America is a truly gigantic space which Shepard will visit before and after the Reapers take it apart."

"If you Google Map Vancouver the layout is pretty much the exact same as our map" says Level Artist Don Arceta. "Geographically it's very true to the real world"
HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT BUY PURCHASE DAY ONE HYPE AHHHHHHHHHHHH

am i late to this

Snuggler said:
They're just like mercenaries with some silly code that they have to follow.

Not really.

Mercenary implies they are working for people with the promise of being paid.

They're more like vigilantes.

Kinyou

Rufus said:
I don't like the whole points business, but choosing anyone over the serial killer seems pretty consistent with the system. You could argue that the concept of judge and executioner that the justicars embody is pretty twisted as well, but I guess her motivations speak in favor of her.
But choosing Morinth also seemed like a stupid move for renegades, why choose an unpredictable serial killer over a Justicar that has made an oath to serve you no matter what you do?

I think Bioware once compared the renegade from Mass Effect 1 to Jack Bauer from 24. He sometimes makes some hard choices and tortures/kills innocent people etc. but overall is still on the good site. To succeed the mission is his main goal and he just does everything to accomplish it. Jeopardizing the whole mission by recruiting a serial killer doesn't seem to fit into that.

Mr_Zombie

Kinyou said:
There was absolutely no logical reason why choosing Samara over her would give you Paragon points.

There was no logical reason why would Shepard even choose her over Samara in the first place. I think I know what BioWare wanted to do (to portrait Morinth as a victim in the Morinth-Samara relationship, as some kind tragic character etc.) but they failed to do it. In the end Shepard was just choosing between a serial killer and a mercenary-like commando with a code.

Kinyou said:
Gah, don't remind me of her. There was absolutely no logical reason why choosing Samara over her would give you Paragon points.

You... don't see why killing the serial killer is the "good" choice?

White Man

-Why is Cerberus after Shepard? They are working with the Reapers
"If your wondering why we were fighting Cerberus, having worked closely with this shadowy organisation in Mass Effect 2, the answer just raises further questions. They are wokring with the Reapers"

Well, at least we know that Bioware is putting in place a few lessons from DA2. They've preemptively pissed all over this sequel.

The whole shades of grey thing they had going on with ME2 was one of my favorite parts of the narrative. There aren't many games that move beyond binary good guy and bad guy factions, and Bioware pulled it off very very well.

White Man said:
The whole shades of grey thing they had going on with ME2 was one of my favorite parts of the narrative. There aren't many games that move beyond binary good guy and bad guy factions, and Bioware pulled it off very very well.

What shades of gray?

Vamphuntr

I shouldn't have looked at the spoilers in the updated OP.

Shepard piloting a giant mech?

:lol this is pretty dumb.

bengraven

White Man said:
Well, at least we know that Bioware is putting in place a few lessons from DA2. They've preemptively pissed all over this sequel.

Yeah, I'm scared ME3 will be more DA2 than ME2.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Rufus said:
basically a mix between the punisher and the terminator.
they go after 'evil', but anyone who gets in their way for whatever reason is fair game too.

Fimbulvetr said:
What shades of gray?
remmeber how shepard said in the first game that he'd rather die than live a slave?
remember how rewriting the geth instead of killing them was the paragon choice?
so gray.

Rufus

I know what a Justicar is, but does it ever go beyond a basic explanation of the concept?

Kinyou said:
But choosing Morinth also seemed like a stupid move for renegades, why choose an unpredictable serial killer over a Justicar that has made an oath to serve you no matter what you do?
True. Morinth would have to be a stronger character than Samara for the swap out to make more sense. She kills you if you try to romance her, but since that's a Game Over it wouldn't be much of a trade-off. It'd work if she killed other people on the ship, like Kelly.
I guess she's a better fit for a renegade Shep still, considering, Samara wouldn't go along with everything renegade Shep chooses to do. In theory at least, because to my knowledge, Samara never opposes you, no matter what you do... Just another disconnect between what the fiction sets up and the game delivers on in the end.

edit: Fuck, that's right, if you did anything wrong she'd only go after you once you finished your mission.

Rufus said:
I guess she's a better fit for a renegade Shep still, considering, Samara wouldn't go along with everything renegade Shep chooses to do. In theory at least, because to my knowledge, Samara never opposes you, no matter what you do... Just another disconnect between what the fiction sets up and the game delivers on in the end.

When she joins, Samara nonchalantly swears an oath that puts Shepard above her moral code.

Still extremely jarring for different reasons, but explains why Samara would tolerate a Renegade Shepard.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Vamphuntr said:
I shouldn't have looked at the spoilers in the updated OP.

Shepard piloting a giant mech?

:lol this is pretty dumb.
Apparently they're actually 15 foot tall mechs you can use whenever you kill the pilot instead of blowing up the mech.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Nirolak said:
Apparently they're actually 15 foot tall mechs you can use whenever you kill the pilot instead of blowing up the mech.
All of my RPGs are turning into Golden Axe.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It should look like mine, because mine is the real one.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Nirolak said:
GAF's favorite marketing director is looking for feedback for how FemShep's design should look in their upcoming FemShep trailer: http://twitter.com/#!/dsilvermanea

Weird question, but I'll just be importing my Shepard's appearence since it's actually not that bad. It wouldn't hurt them to add some new haircuts this time, maybe they could not look like plastic.

Aquavelvaman said:
My shep is best
McDXNl.jpg

I'm pretty sure everybody ended up with different hair styles and eye colors of that exact facial structure. Somehow the character creator could only make one good-looking character.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Snuggler said:
Weird question, but I'll just be importing my Shepard's appearence since it's actually not that bad. It wouldn't hurt them to add some new haircuts this time, maybe they could not look like plastic.
Apparently they're working on this:

me3hair1h7cc.png

me3hair217hs.png

me3hair387jo.png

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Snuggler said:
I just ran with it. Cranked my Shep's skin as pale as possible, and gave her a black plastic haircut. I like to imagine that she's actually a prototype android escaped from a research complex, which explains why she's ruthless and yet intelligent, saying whatever "paragon" or "renegade" thing needs to be said to advance her own agenda. Any semblance of emotion or feeling for other people is an illusion, her directive is to defend the galaxy.

Its quite fun.

Acheteedo

Hasphat'sAnts said:
I'm pretty sure everybody ended up with different hair styles and eye colors of that exact facial structure. Somehow the character creator could only make one good-looking character.

I was just thinking that mine looked shockingly similar to his.

Just finished ME2 PS3

I cant imagine how the game was to people who played it on XBOX360

With the free DLC the game felt like a complete package. Something that should have been included in the game from the start. Especially the Lair of the Shadow Broker and Hammerhead sections.

Hopefully there is more in game content then DLC for ME3

And hopefully if you can buy the full game on the PSN it wont cost the same amount as the retail disk. 60 bucks for a digital file...really?

Firestorm

FlashbladeGAF said:
Just finished ME2 PS3

I cant imagine how the game was to people who played it on XBOX360

With the free DLC the game felt like a complete package. Something that should have been included in the game from the start. Especially the Lair of the Shadow Broker and Hammerhead sections.

Hopefully there is more in game content then DLC for ME3

And hopefully if you can buy the full game on the PSN it wont cost the same amount as the retail disk. 60 bucks for a digital file...really?
360 version is the same as PS3 isn't it? Just have to pay for the DLC which if you add it all up is roughly the price of the PS3 game. I think I only bought Kasumi and Shadow Broker though. Hammerhead didn't seem too interesting.

And what you pay for is the digital file. A coaster isn't much good. You want what's written in the coaster so your PS3 can read it. I agree it should be cheaper because there's no distribution or manufacturing costs, but let's not make "digital file" sound like it's irrelevant.

X-Frame

After DA2, I don't see why there'd be complications with longer hair.

My FemHawke looks fine with the longer hair styles, and there were a bunch. Some clipping issues with some armors, but very minor.

Mr_Zombie

That's not the final cover, right? It can't be.

Mass Effect had this nice cover that just screamed "it's a space opera, buy it!" and it was great. Why do both ME2 and ME3 covers have to suck then :/

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Mr_Zombie said:
Mass Effect had this nice cover that just screamed "it's a space opera, buy it!" and it was great. Why do both ME2 and ME3 covers have to suck then :/

The need an angry looking guy holding a weapon on the cover. It's what the kids are into these days.

kokujin

Banned
I read some stuff and they said they added same sex love interests, but they said there were no new characters.Does this mean some of the old characters turned gay between the games?

Pollux

kokujin said:
I read some stuff and they said they added same sex love interests, but they said there were no new characters.Does this mean some of the old characters turned gay between the games?
Could be new team members that were in old games but are new to the team? I dunno how they're gonna swing that one though. Interesting question.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I hope they can somehow put something like Alice Madness Return's hair for the characters in this game

like this
o91g1h.gif

Since it's UE3.

Top Bottom