• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Mass Effect 3

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
d4simbo-ffdb4730-2ca5-412c-83be-97ddf8faab38.png

This is originally a 2012 game developed by Bioware and published by EA for the PC, Xbox 360 PS3, and Wii U than in 2021 PS4, Xbox One, Windows, (Playable on Xbox One X and PS5) versions were released.

Once again you play as Commander Shepard coming off the events of ME1, and ME2 the main character Shepard is introduced several months removed from the second game, and is brought back to Earth to explain his actions from the second game (destroying a batarian relay to delay the main villain "Reapers"), soon after the Reapers arrive, attack Earth and leaves Shepard with one last mission: unite the alien races of the galaxy, build a super weapon capable of destroying the Reapers and saving all sentient life.

As noted above, Shepard is under pressure from the Reapers. I'm buying these guys as being scary villains.

Sci-Fi-Powerful-Villains-Reapers-Mass-Effect.jpg

How great is that design?

Illusive-Man-quotes-feature.jpg

Illusive Man

At this point in the franchise Shepard is off the rails, hat sideways, face painted with Earth's colors and really wants the galaxy operating as ONE. Bioware really knows how to make Shepard be dramatic and they like building around characters (Liar, Garrus etc.) but also develop existing characters (Admiral Hackett, Anderson etc.) these characters have their own identities and you fall in love with the mission of saving humanity.

The game is split into 15 chapters, with several sections revisited and several side missions. If you've played the first two Mass Effect games the first thing is pretty obvious, you import your character from those games and all the "choices" you made during the dialogs. One situation is are you going to save a race from disease?

maxresdefault.jpg

Salarian Mordin

Tali-talking-to-Shepard-in-Mass-Effect-3.jpg

Shepard has a choice, convince the Quarians to back down or side with another alien race.

The game's main areas are on alien planets in the Milkyway Galaxy (Tuchanka Krogan home world, Thessia Asari home world etc.) you move forward to a final battle on Earth and than back into space on the Citadel. Overall the world in Mass Effect is legitimate and during the missions its linear as opposed to a single location with open world elements, it's fun docking and taking off from the Normandy space ship but overall it leaves you thinking about it's potential rather than what it is ultimately the levels that put you in the line of fire.

Powerwheel.jpg

Power wheel from ME3, you can upgrade these powers like other games. I give Bioware credit on Mass Effect's combat in allowing you to switch powers, weapons on the fly.

-1342966859.jpg

Brilliant map design, the locations are organized but needed the probes to get minerals from ME2.

On record for verifying the soundtrack is good.

Untitled.png

Mass Effect 3 is a classic third person space game spread across many locations and characters, going into it without playing the first two games would be confusing, some areas of the game have a legit horror feel, you learn about the threats, aliens etc. more and if I were Bioware I would be proud of ME3 for selling and reviewing like it did. It's a game I would gladly go back and replay.

What are GAF's thoughts on Mass Effect 3?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
in a nutshell

• The RPG elements were dumbed down even more in favor of combat or turned into combat related elements
  • The Exploration is pointless and non-existent
  • The game forces you into bland and boring shooting sections at any occasion, even if doesn't make sense
  • the dialogue mechanic, the bake and bread of Mass Effect was dumbed down to 2 options, with Shepard speaking automatically 90% of his lines, most of investigate ,Intimidate\Charm, neutral options are removed
  • The story sucks (this will have a special spot)
  • Tali's face was photoshopped using a free image sharing site and altering slightly the image for 5 minutes thinking that we are fools that will never find out
  • Day One DLC
  • The Normandy is ugly and horrible in that dark red lightning, junk thrown around, cables visible on the floor
  • Forced decisions or outcomes (Shepard forced into the alliance)
  • Illusion of choice strikes again (Hello Rachni, weren't you dead? sorry, my bad ,I thought that queen on Noveria was the last one )
  • The Spectre authority is useless once again (don't tell me that those 3 crappy weapons are all) and doesn't change nothing ,since you are elected spectre regardless
  • your choices are watered down to a number (EMS)and this number is reduced in value if you don't play multiplayer, WTF?
  • Interactivity has been dumbed down to an extreme level
  • Side quests are so boring and repetitive (oh overhear a guy that talks about a random relic that no one cared about before, let's go into the reaper controlled space to find this useless piece of crap and deliver it to that guy)
  • The N7 missions are simply ripped off SP version of the multiplayer missions
  • all Romances except Liara has the 'fade to black' crap
  • Diana Allers and James Vega Seriously? These guys are in the game? Jersey Shore Effect
  • ANNOYING as hell Zaeed type of dialogue with companions, I hated Zaeed's dialogue in ME2,i never spoke to him once after I've finished his loyalty quests
    The Zaeed Auto-dialogue system is when the companions reply to Shepard in a way so bland or uninteresting without even getting into a cinematic (where the dialogue wheel appears and the camera is on your character) dialogue session and Shepard automatically dialogue .Example 'Hi' 'hey' hi Shepard'

why are your lttp's more of describing the game rather than your own thoughts. we know how the game looks and what it does, the point of lttp is to tell everyone your own thoughts about whatever you wanna talk about. Also how can you even discuss Mass Effect 3 without talking about its DLC's which are arguably the best in the franchise, hell the Citadel DLC is prolly one of the best addon contents ever made.

I loved part 1, loved part 2, and didn't even try part 3. I don't actually remember how I knew in advance that Bioware was slipping at the time, but I somehow knew.

That said, I intend to replay the whole thing someday and give the game a shot.

stn

I personally really enjoyed it. Yes, I did think the ending could have been better, but the Citadel DLC almost made up for it. Really, I only became a bit sour on the franchise after the next game released. I'll be buying the remaster collection at some point, but in no rush since I beat all three games 100%.

EverydayBeast

why are your lttp's more of describing the game rather than your own thoughts. we know how the game looks and what it does, the point of lttp is to tell everyone your own thoughts about whatever you wanna talk about. Also how can you even discuss Mass Effect 3 without talking about its DLC's which are arguably the best in the franchise, hell the Citadel DLC is prolly one of the best addon contents ever made.
I think it’s the best of the three combat wise, shows tons of potential and BioWare deserves a lot of credit.

Replaying the trilogy with the legendary edition , I like it more than 2 to be honest. I love all three , the first and third are my favs .

Hugare

My 2nd favorite after ME 1

ME 2 was very good, but felt like filler all the way through. Good filler, but filler.

In ME 3 shit got real. Bunch of amazing setpieces and character moments. Pay off to many storylines in emotional ways.

Had the best gameplay and presentation in the franchise. That melee attack was delicious.

Was one of my favorite games of all time up until the ending. Didnt dislike it as much as the rest of the internet, but was still disapointed.

Castro27

Actually finished it yesterday on the LE. I actually enjoyed a lot more this time then when it launched.

Strogest point for me is the atmosphere. I finished the game feeling just as tired as Shepard wasa in the end.

The DLCs were great too. Omega DLC is amazing and the Citadel DLC is just phenomenal, I laughed my ass off all the time.

I agree that the whole ending thing sucks, I was so pissed off that I didn't replay the game until the LE was released. But I don't know, going in for the second time, knowing about the whole ending thing, made me appreciate the rest of the game more.

Finished ME2 last night. By the way, the shadow broker mission was amazing.
Started playing ME3 right after. Combat is so much better. My vanguard Shepard feels very powerful from the start.

mcjmetroid

This is originally a 2012 game developed by Bioware and published by EA for the PC, Xbox 360 PS3, and Wii U than in 2021 PS4, Xbox One, Windows, (Playable on Xbox One X and PS5) versions were released.

Once again you play as Commander Shepard coming off the events of ME1, and ME2 the main character Shepard is introduced several months removed from the second game, and is brought back to Earth to explain his actions from the second game (destroying a batarian relay to delay the main villain "Reapers"), soon after the Reapers arrive, attack Earth and leaves Shepard with one last mission: unite the alien races of the galaxy, build a super weapon capable of destroying the Reapers and saving all sentient life.

As noted above, Shepard is under pressure from the Reapers. I'm buying these guys as being scary villains.

Illusive Man

At this point in the franchise Shepard is off the rails, hat sideways, face painted with Earth's colors and really wants the galaxy operating as ONE. Bioware really knows how to make Shepard be dramatic and they like building around characters (Liar, Garrus etc.) but also develop existing characters (Admiral Hackett, Anderson etc.) these characters have their own identities and you fall in love with the mission of saving humanity.

The game is split into 15 chapters, with several sections revisited and several side missions. If you've played the first two Mass Effect games the first thing is pretty obvious, you import your character from those games and all the "choices" you made during the dialogs. One situation is are you going to save a race from disease?

maxresdefault.jpg

Salarian Mordin

Shepard has a choice, convince the Quarians to back down or side with another alien race.

The game's main areas are on alien planets in the Milkyway Galaxy (Tuchanka Krogan home world, Thessia Asari home world etc.) you move forward to a final battle on Earth and than back into space on the Citadel. Overall the world in Mass Effect is legitimate and during the missions its linear as opposed to a single location with open world elements, it's fun docking and taking off from the Normandy space ship but overall it leaves you thinking about it's potential rather than what it is ultimately the levels that put you in the line of fire.

Powerwheel.jpg

Power wheel from ME3, you can upgrade these powers like other games. I give Bioware credit on Mass Effect's combat in allowing you to switch powers, weapons on the fly.

-1342966859.jpg

Brilliant map design, the locations are organized but needed the probes to get minerals from ME2.

Untitled.png

Mass Effect 3 is a classic third person space game spread across many locations and characters, going into it without playing the first two games would be confusing, some areas of the game have a legit horror feel, you learn about the threats, aliens etc. more and if I were Bioware I would be proud of ME3 for selling and reviewing like it did. It's a game I would gladly go back and replay.

It's the best Mass Effect game overall.

1 had a great story with clunky gameplay but probably the best paced of the 3
2 is too long winded with mostly side plots.much better gameplay.
3 has the best gameplay, great pacing with a highly questionable ending.

3 is the best one to me. I think people are now starting to realise it once the outrage died down.. now to be fair they deserved all the criticism in the world for what they pulled at the time with the dlc.

But now we're past that I think now all we can say is it has a highly questionable ending lol

EverydayBeast

ME3 actually shows defeats and what Shepard would do at his lowest, bottom of the mountain, in a trash can than showing the ability to save an entire galaxy. “Writing themselves to an ending” is what every third entry in a franchise should do, I respect BioWare for getting so many reactions and rewards.

“Mass Effect 3 is garbage”
No Way Reaction GIF by WWE

WitchHunter

Illusive Man

maxresdefault.jpg

Salarian Mordin

Powerwheel.jpg

-1342966859.jpg

Untitled.png

What made ppl mad about this game? Never understood why certain people were up at arms because the ending wasn't about asswiping, and the usual everyding is good at the end and donkeys.

Top Bottom