• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Wolverine | PS5 Showcase Reveal Trailer

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Star Wars has never really been that violent. I dont even remember there actually being blood in a Star Wars movie. Lightsabers are only useful for blocking lasers and blocking other light sabers.

I feel like insomniac wouldn’t even pitch a wolverine game if it wasn’t gonna be violent. Especially with it existing alongside ghost of tsushima, god of war, and TLOU

39816.gif
ponda-baba-arm.jpg

First film, but since then, they have sabers cauterize the wounds for film rating. Hell, they even had Anakin lop off Dooku's head and it rolled.
How violent do the comics get?

There is many more times than that as well. Wolverine isn't the mass appeal for children like Spider-Man is, he has always been the more mature gruff and violent appeal.

Last edited:
The violence will probably be in line with the previous wolverine game, but I'm afraid they'll make the combat slow and heavy, just to highlight the violence/gore cinematics; wolverine is a pretty fast fighter, so I'd like it to be more like ng2.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The violence will probably be in line with the previous wolverine game, but I'm afraid they'll make the combat slow and heavy, just to highlight the violence/gore cinematics; wolverine is a pretty fast fighter, so I'd like it to be more like ng2.
I don't think they will. I think they'll have him vicious and fast.

GymWolf

Exacty, they are just not the studio for gory games and i bet the license was not cheap. They will want to reach as many people as possible and 18+ is not the way to go.
On the other hand, many sony games are adult games that childs can't buy and they still sell a lot.

So who knows...

On the other hand, many sony games are adult games that childs can't buy and they still sell a lot.

So who knows...

Frankly I think they have higher sales potential by targeting adults.

The younger demographic dominates sandboxy games. Not cinematic action games. And if a 15-year-old wants Wolverine an age rating isn't going to stop him anyway

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
How violent do the comics get?
He has unbreakable razor sharp claws chances of violence are very high.
Even if he didnt use his claws hes skeleton is lined with metal....his punches break faces.
But seriously Wolverine in his own books and X-Force books is pretty damn violent.
In the Xmen books dare I say he is a bit less violent.

4ITc0VK.jpg
'

i0s7y0q.jpg

Frankly I think they have higher sales potential by targeting adults.

The younger demographic dominates sandboxy games. Not cinematic action games. And if a 15-year-old wants Wolverine an age rating isn't going to stop him anyway
I think a hyper violent game would sell better to teenagers than a moderate one.

In a world where GTA5 is one of the best selling games of all time isonmiac would be mad to tone down the violence.

Frankly there doesn't seem much point in having claws if you can't cut shit up.

ponda-baba-arm.jpg

First film, but since then, they have sabers cauterize the wounds for film rating. Hell, they even had Anakin lop off Dooku's head and it rolled.

There is many more times than that as well. Wolverine isn't the mass appeal for children like Spider-Man is, he has always been the more mature gruff and violent appeal.
So extra gruesome lovely!

Insomniac seemed to be pretty on the ball about what there audience wanted with spiderman. So I think there probably aware there audience want this for Wolverine.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So extra gruesome lovely!

Insomniac seemed to be pretty on the ball about what there audience wanted with spiderman. So I think there probably aware there audience want this for Wolverine.
One can hope. He was savage in the comics, but who knows how much Marvel/Disney will want him neutered for games.

They didn't seem to mind Logan, so fingers crossed.

Last edited:
One can hope. He was savage in the comics, but who knows how much Marvel/Disney will want him neutered for games.

They didn't seem to mind Logan, so fingers crossed.
My biggest concern is gameplay variety. Is there likely to good enemy variety?

Does wolverine have other powers besides claws and regenerating health?

Is there much potential to upgrade him through the course of a game?

More attacks and finishers, more combos, outfit unlocks, increased stamina-regen, increased senses

They dont gotta go deep rpg-lite with it….it will be like TLOU

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Beyond claws, super strength and a healing factor, Wolverine is a master of many many martial arts and forms of killing....he has lived for centuries.
Assuming budget and gameplay allows he could literally bust out a Katana and start kendo'ing the fuck outta everyone if need be.

But realistically it would probably getting new moves and combos.
Extend berserk mode yada yada.
They dont need to go too ham on what Wolverine can do.
The concept of playing Wolverine in a game basically sells itself.

I remember this trailer for resistance 3 back in the day.

I thought the death animations looked satisfyingly bloody. Sadly I think it was toned down for the final release 😕

Beyond claws, super strength and a healing factor, Wolverine is a master of many many martial arts and forms of killing....he has lived for centuries.
Assuming budget and gameplay allows he could literally bust out a Katana and start kendo'ing the fuck outta everyone if need be.

But realistically it would probably getting new moves and combos.
Extend berserk mode yada yada.
They dont need to go too ham on what Wolverine can do.
The concept of playing Wolverine in a game basically sells itself.
Agreed I don't think if needs much maybe something on the level of ninja gaiden or god hand.

Enemy variety is important for me although it seems they pull alot from the comics

Black_Stride

Agreed I don't think if needs much maybe something on the level of ninja gaiden or god hand.

Enemy variety is important for me although it seems they pull alot from the comics
Hes an Xman so they can pull pretty much any of the Xmen rogues gallery of "organizations" to be fodder class enemies and also more specific villains for him like Gorgon, Lady Deathstrike, Nimrod (Bastion), Omega Red, Sabertooth, Madam Hydra as bosses. Off head all those enemies would fight really really differently and even the organizations have different "classes" of characters within them.
This should be easy work for them.

Please bring Gorgon ive wanted him live action for so long, but Ill take Videogame form as well.
6cbdbf22c3956f7eb5b8118f8d48060e0acb9388_hq.jpg

Yoboman

Star Wars has never really been that violent. I dont even remember there actually being blood in a Star Wars movie. Lightsabers are only useful for blocking lasers and blocking other light sabers.

I feel like insomniac wouldn’t even pitch a wolverine game if it wasn’t gonna be violent. Especially with it existing alongside ghost of tsushima, god of war, and TLOU

39816.gif
I dont worry about whether Insomniac will want to make Wolverine violent, more that Disney won't allow it to be

I dont worry about whether Insomniac will want to make Wolverine violent, more that Disney won't allow it to be
Thats what i mean though, i don’t think they’d even push for the game to be made if it wasn’t gonna be violent

Also, its not as if disney currently has an image of wolverine they have to withhold. Insomniacs wolverine will most likely be a onscreen return of the character

Last edited:

Yoboman

Thats what i mean though, i don’t think they’d even push for the game to be made if it wasn’t gonna be violent

Also, its not as if disney currently has an image of wolverine they have to withhold. Insomniacs wolverine will most likely be a onscreen return of the character
Moon Knight is a very violent comic you can see how lacking it is in that in the new show. Very sanitised

I think anyone expecting hyper real violence for Wolverine is setting themselves up to be disappointed

RoadHazard

Gold Member
They did. They even remastered it for PS4/Xbox One IIRC> It was a fun time.
Hmm, ok, but is it any good? There have been very few even decent comic book games until recently.

Edit: Seems very average. And man, that Deadpool is weirdly buff! I guess I'm just used to him being Reynolds skinny, but that massive torso feels wrong lol.

Last edited:
Moon Knight is a very violent comic you can see how lacking it is in that in the new show. Very sanitised

I think anyone expecting hyper real violence for Wolverine is setting themselves up to be disappointed
Moon knight is on disney plus, this has nothing to do with being on a child friendly platform

Last time I checked marvel still make violent wolverine comics

clean.jpg

Its also the current series insomniac is basing their wolverine on if his outfit is anything to go by

background.jpg

9c82a020-11b2-11ec-9e3f-2041d5fe0e77.cf.jpg

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Hmm, ok, but is it any good? There have been very few even decent comic book games until recently.

Edit: Seems very average. And man, that Deadpool is weirdly buff! I guess I'm just used to him being Reynolds skinny, but that massive torso feels wrong lol.

It certainly isn't a AAA title by any means, but for a budget A to AA title, it was a lot of fun! I had a lot of good laughs and the gameplay worked well for what it was. One of those 'Swimming in 7s' kind of games.

kyliethicc

As much as i would like some Ninja Gaiden 2 or old God of War stuff, i'm afraid that it will be just some Spider-Man or toned done new God of War stuff.
I’d guess similar to Ghost of Tsushima.

Plenty of blood, stabbing, slicing arms off, etc.. but is not particularly gore-y.

Lethal, mature, violent, but within reason.

Marvel's Wolverine benefits nothing from being a T rated game. if insomniac games is wanting to grant or give players what they deemed in one of their job/ads. the "quintessential" logan/wolverine experience. then gore/blood is apart of that. it's what wolverine is capable of, there is a reason why he says "I'm best at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice" meaning He's going to rip, tear, shred anything in his path like tender cooked steak. his claws can slice through almost anything and everyone like butter. I always found the previous X-men movies and the lack of blood or atleast dismemberment off-putting. granted I know that they wanted a much more family friendly audience to watch these movies.

Reactions: Fuz

Black_Stride

Moon knight is on disney plus, this has nothing to do with being on a child friendly platform

clean.jpg

Its also the current series insomniac is basing their wolverine on if his outfit is anything to go by

background.jpg

They arent basing this game on X Lives and X Deaths of Wolverine. Come on man, thats like 3 games worth of backstory just to understand whats going on.

A flannel top and a hat is basically Wolverines staple uniform when he isnt hanging out with the Xmen.
His lumberjack look is his most famous none uniform costume....until the movies he wasnt really a tight leather jacket guy.
MV5BNGEzNDk2OWMtYWQ2NC00MWUxLWI5OTItZTBjYzE4ZTE0ZDkzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTc0NjY1ODk@._V1_.jpg

main-qimg-7edee741d073d7ff59e49d9cd222b364-lq

f370273203a2b3cbfb49c96597e48927.jpg

GymWolf

clean.jpg

background.jpg

Is sabertooth in the comics way better than movie sabertooth? Because the power of just being agile, aggressive and strong are not enough to even make logan sweat in theory...

They arent basing this game on X Lives and X Deaths of Wolverine. Come on man, thats like 3 games worth of backstory just to understand whats going on.

A flannel top and a hat is basically Wolverines staple uniform when he isnt hanging out with the Xmen.
His lumberjack look is his most famous none uniform costume....until the movies he wasnt really a tight leather jacket guy.
MV5BNGEzNDk2OWMtYWQ2NC00MWUxLWI5OTItZTBjYzE4ZTE0ZDkzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTc0NjY1ODk@._V1_.jpg

main-qimg-7edee741d073d7ff59e49d9cd222b364-lq

f370273203a2b3cbfb49c96597e48927.jpg

I mean the timing of it and that specific color combination is not a mere coincidence imo. They could have had Logan wearing like 50 diffenret outfits, I’d even expect him more so to be wearing his fur lined leather jacket. I think this was intentional

Is sabertooth in the comics way better than movie sabertooth? Because the power of just being agile, aggressive and strong are not enough to even make logan sweat in theory...

Sabertooth is just much stronger than Logan, in every sense. Its like the difference between spider-man and venom, except sabertooth has no real weakness.

Also i dont see how they could be going for a teen rating where in the little teaser has someone approaching him with a knife. To me, nothing there signifies a game that is not gonna be violent. You can’t really get away with claws, knifes, and that kind of stuff in games today just not being violent.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

I mean the timing of it and that specific color combination is not a mere coincidence imo. They could have had Logan wearing like 50 diffenret outfits, I’d even expect him more so to be wearing his fur lined leather jacket. I think this was intentional

Sabertooth is just much stronger than Logan, in every sense. Its like the difference between spider-man and venom, except sabertooth has no real weakness.

Also i dont see how they could be going for a teen rating where in the little teaser has someone approaching him with a knife. To me, nothing there signifies a game that is not gonna be violent. You can’t really get away with claws, knifes, and that kind of stuff in games today just not being violent.

FYI.
He doesnt actually wear the red flannel in X Lives 3.
He fights Romulus who is whole other can of worms to explain, Omega Red and Rasputin are a big part of the issue.......they arent basing it on X Lives/X Deaths.
Further he only has the flannel in X Lives 1......during one of the "flashbacks" literally a few panels worth because in that timeline he just so happens to be still lumberjacking about without his metal claws and hes trying to protect baby Professor X....the trailer already shows us he has his metal claws in the game.
The whole X Lives/X Deaths is him time travelling through different lives....why is he travelling through his different lives?....well thats a whole games worth of exposition.

So yes it is just a coincidence he is wearing a red flannel in the trailer and lumberjacks are known to wear red flannels.
If he was wearing a white and black uniform you could say its def an X-Force story....a red flannel is just what lumberjacks wear.

And yes Sabertooth is basically a better Wolverine without the metal claws.
The fact he can beat Wolverine sans metal tells you how much of a beast Sabertooth actually is.

Top Bottom