• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Wolverine | PS5 Showcase Reveal Trailer

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I mean the timing of it and that specific color combination is not a mere coincidence imo. They could have had Logan wearing like 50 diffenret outfits, I’d even expect him more so to be wearing his fur lined leather jacket. I think this was intentional

To add to my previous post.
There are 10 issues of X Lives/X Deaths.
Each issue has atleast 5 variant covers.

So approx 50 covers.....one of those variants...not even the official cover.....a variant has Wolverine in a Red Flannel.
Assuming because he is wearing red on said variant and in the trailer means they are basing the game on X Lives/X Deaths....is to say the absolute least a stretch.
Further the Solicitations for X Lives/X Deaths came out around Oct 2021, so lets assume artists were contacted in June or July.
The red flannel doesnt really feature in X lives/X deaths....the artist simply liked that look as its Wolverines off duty lumberjack look....its a known quantity.
Insomniacs artists had the same thinking, what does Wolverine wear when he is off duty?....lumberjack shit, so they went for it.

The trailer and the cover were likely being made at the same time....unless Insomniac specifically contacted that specific artist and asked what are you gonna put on your variant cover of X Lives 3....the issue where Wolverine DOESNT wear a Red Flannel, then its highly highly unlikely Insomniac got inspiration from that variant cover and that story.

P.S This is the Key Art for X Lives/X Deaths.
You really think this Key Art and the Key Art of the Wolverine game seem tied together in anyway?
x_lives_x_deaths_of_wolverine_key_art.jpg

Last edited:
I hope at least it's 16+ if they can't make it mature. Please not any more shit like yhe uncharted movie that had clear throat cutting on your face with a pensil mark hahaha. Couldn't stop laughing for 5 minutes after that scene.
As far as I know there isn't a 16+ rating. Either T (13+) M(18+) or AO (game sent out to die).

EDMIX

Star wars always had very light violence and I do feel like it would be weird if it had gore lol. The movies are so family-friendly.

On the other hand Logan the movie, is ultra violent and from the video game trailer we seen, it feels like they're going more on this way than the previous X MEN movies with little to no blood.

Let's wait and see!

yea I was just going to say that example is horrid. Majority of the Star Wars films are PG... Were the fuck anyone got that a game would have such gore is beyond me when the films themselves are light on this concept.

Logan on the other hand....rated R.

So if going by films is anything, it makes sense to expect Star Wars to be rated E to Teen, it makes sense for a Wolverine game to be rated M or something

GymWolf GymWolf Good points all around. The Last Of Us 2 is the tier of gore that a game should be rated by, folks were getting shot in the throat, head blown off, knees taken out, cut in half with intestines falling out and shit lol

I also agree with the rating thing you stated as some of Sony's biggest sellers that move record units, also M rated titles. God Of War series, The Last Of Us series etc.

Last edited:

EDMIX

To add to my previous post.
There are 10 issues of X Lives/X Deaths.
Each issue has atleast 5 variant covers.

So approx 50 covers.....one of those variants...not even the official cover.....a variant has Wolverine in a Red Flannel.
Assuming because he is wearing red on said variant and in the trailer means they are basing the game on X Lives/X Deaths....is to say the absolute least a stretch.
Further the Solicitations for X Lives/X Deaths came out around Oct 2021, so lets assume artists were contacted in June or July.
The red flannel doesnt really feature in X lives/X deaths....the artist simply liked that look as its Wolverines off duty lumberjack look....its a known quantity.
Insomniacs artists had the same thinking, what does Wolverine wear when he is off duty?....lumberjack shit, so they went for it.

The trailer and the cover were likely being made at the same time....unless Insomniac specifically contacted that specific artist and asked what are you gonna put on your variant cover of X Lives 3....the issue where Wolverine DOESNT wear a Red Flannel, then its highly highly unlikely Insomniac got inspiration from that variant cover and that story.

P.S This is the Key Art for X Lives/X Deaths.
You really think this Key Art and the Key Art of the Wolverine game seem tied together in anyway?
x_lives_x_deaths_of_wolverine_key_art.jpg

Agreed completely, yea I was just going to say how irrelevant a lot of that was. I don't see any link to it pointing to anything as 1. The shirt is generic, 2. he is known to have that flannel red shirt as...

e519eac23a069f0c47dfaf8b9ad08bbb.gif

So I really think its as simply as...he wears it off duty, they like the look of it....put it in trailer. I don't think its pointing to any exact saga and shit ,even if it was based on those exact story arcs, the red flannel would still be irrelevant to that choice, as in it wasn't linked to that or anything as this man wears that shit way to much for us to assume its based on this saga or that saga.

Ima say this though.......ITS BASED ON THE 90'S cartoon show as look, itz red doe lol /s

The whole flannel thing isn’t that serious. I was just saying how it seems like its very timely for that exact outfit to pop up in the variant cover after the teaser. My overall point is that marvel is not “disney-fying” wolverine in the comics or other media, so you shouldn’t expect them to have much say in the game. Its Marvel studios that oversee the games, not Disney.

Also John Sweeney the guy who was responsible for the blood effects in TLOU2 is on Wolverine which adds even more credence to this being a M rated game.

EDMIX

Its Marvel studios that oversee the games, not Disney.
I mean sure, but Disney still owns all of that, regardless I don't see it being hindered based on Disney as they bought Marvel in 2009, we got a R rated Logan in 2017, so I don't think they'd get in the way of most of that regardless tbh.
Also John Sweeney the guy who was responsible for the blood effects in TLOU2 is on Wolverine which adds even more credence to this being a M rated game.
Likely. My only point is that the outfit he wears is simply too common for him for it to link to anything major in terms of plot, story arc, saga etc. That shit is all over the place as its not like he just wore that once. So I agree that it will likely be M (hopefully) simply not based on the reasons you stated though.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Is sabertooth in the comics way better than movie sabertooth? Because the power of just being agile, aggressive and strong are not enough to even make logan sweat in theory...
Sabertooth is like if wolverine was even more "feral", and bigger, and stronger, and faster, he's just better in every way really, logan only beats him when he's smart about it.
This mean the "berserker rage" kinda works against logan if he fights Sabertooth; I think logan only won like...once while using berserker rage, he generally wins with strategy + martial arts.

As far as I know there isn't a 16+ rating. Either T (13+) M(18+) or AO (game sent out to die).
16+ is, one of many, European ratings, 16 and 18 tend to be equal to the ESRB M rating.

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned
Yes? The original person claimed there was never anything violent done by Insomniac or Naughty Dog. Jak 2 and 3 are chock full of violence.

My bad, didn't follow the whole conversation up to the original message.

It's been a while, but while it was GTA like, neither Jak was any more violent than your typical platformer. You had some shooting, but similar to Ratchet and Clank.

Uncharted and Resistance on the other hand....

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I hope that this game blows me away with the hit reactions and super accurate cuts exactly where the claws strike. It will be the first that I can think of and I hope it motivates other devs to do the same.

Romulus

I just hope its not like Force Unleashed where you have this insanely deadly lightsaber thats reduced do a plastic baseball bat. C-c-combo!! I could see them doing something similar with this game.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I hope that this game blows me away with the hit reactions and super accurate cuts exactly where the claws strike. It will be the first that I can think of and I hope it motivates other devs to do the same.

MGR Revengance comes to mind
I think there was also an Afro Samurai game that allowed for a single accurate slice, but it's definitely rare to see in any game.

Mobilemofo

'cutting edge'. 😄. Controlling wolverine, getting the feel of his movement right, not too light, but not a drag to move him. The response time of Tsushima, block and parry system, middle finger emoticon, injuries that impede your movement when first done, but heal as you move, visually. Finish move will be in, like the punisher game, blood and guts. I expect 60fps, 1440p. Graphic options with hdr Vs ray tracing.

Not asking for the world. 😄

Last edited:
Top Bottom