• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Avengers is dead. The final update has been released alongside message by Square Enix.

Depends... what all those flops share in common?
Massive mismanagement, and placing bets on systems they couldn’t do properly(Gaas, MTX, Luminous Engine).

In saying that, I’m truly shocked that the Tomb Raider trilogy ended up alright.

Valt7786

I will always be amazed at how they had the opportunity of a lifetime with the worlds biggest IP at the time and they completely fumbled the ball.
Single player Avengers campaign that focuses on not an Avenger, and the shittiest non-avenger at that.
Stupidest and terribly played out "plot twist". Cap America is dead but not really! No one could have possibly seen that coming!
Not to mention all the live service crap with awful MP maps/arenas and the constant clone characters.
No Scarlet Witch, no Dr Strange, not even Captain Marvel by the end of it.

Just...such a waste, could have been something special but..no.

lyan

Massive mismanagement, and placing bets on systems they couldn’t do properly(Gaas, MTX, Luminous Engine).

In saying that, I’m truly shocked that the Tomb Raider trilogy ended up alright.
Well they run one of the largest Gaas...
I think the fault lies in diversity, involving both Japan and the West resulted in the lack of clear vision on what their games want to be.

Well they run one of the largest Gaas...
I think the fault lies in diversity, involving both Japan and the West resulted in the lack of clear vision on what their games want to be.
Blaming the west is too easy of a solution. Nintendo and Sega don’t have this problem.

Larxia

The worst thing about this game is how it ruined the reputation of Marvel's Guardians of the galaxy. Amazing game that some people, still today, think is like avengers.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
May go back and play the campaign at some point before it's totally dead.

Gambit2483

Got it on PS5 for 30 bucks. Considering the majority of DLC was free I can't complain. War for Wakanda was a decent DLC campaign....but yeah, should never have been a live service.

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned
I will always be amazed at how they had the opportunity of a lifetime with the worlds biggest IP at the time and they completely fumbled the ball.
Single player Avengers campaign that focuses on not an Avenger, and the shittiest non-avenger at that.
Stupidest and terribly played out "plot twist". Cap America is dead but not really! No one could have possibly seen that coming!
Not to mention all the live service crap with awful MP maps/arenas and the constant clone characters.
No Scarlet Witch, no Dr Strange, not even Captain Marvel by the end of it.

Just...such a waste, could have been something special but..no.
I agree about the shitty selection of characters but if I recall correctly it was Marvel that chose which characters they could use. Marvel was in peak Woke mode and wanted Kamala pushed.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

What a sad life the game has: born in pain, lived in mockery and will die with nobody caring.

A pure fail and a total waste for an amazing IP with so much potential.

Last edited:

lyan

Blaming the west is too easy of a solution. Nintendo and Sega don’t have this problem.
Don't know where you got this idea, if anything what I said is the opposite.

We've all heard how Sega decision making was a mess between the different HQs, this is nothing new.

SeraphJan

Some of the Campaign are pretty over the top cinematic experiences, which is a good thing.

The character controls pretty smoothly, each character do have distinguishable utility.

However the main problem of this game is enemy variety and level design, both are too repetitive, render the great character control useless

Last edited:

RavageX

Reminds me of the days when superhero and movie based games were definite crap, and you knew it before they released. The first near perfect superhero game I recall was Hulk Ultimate Destruction. Captured Hulk very well.

The ps1/dreamcast Spiderman, and one of the movie Spiderman games, Batman Returns on SNES, and that one Wolverine game gets special mentions.

Vyse

Gold Member
Reminds me of the days when superhero and movie based games were definite crap, and you knew it before they released. The first near perfect superhero game I recall was Hulk Ultimate Destruction. Captured Hulk very well.

The ps1/dreamcast Spiderman, and one of the movie Spiderman games, Batman Returns on SNES, and that one Wolverine game gets special mentions.
I recall the Captain America game being fun.

I wish I could get my money back for this disaster.
I feel like the hands-on previews and the reviews were a pretty good indicator this game was not turning out well. As soon as I saw the first gameplay reveal I went from very excited to basically “Pass”

Trogdor1123

Never played the game but this is a great way to do a send off. Totally open the market place and give the characters all buffs so that the less experienced players can do some of the end game material they would have been able to do.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I don't understand... It means that if I had bought the game at launch, and having to pay for the DLC. Now it's free... Does it mean that they theft us from the beginning???

TVexperto

at least each hero had unique abilities unlike that crappy new suicide squad game where everybody even the shark has only shooting abilities

Top Bottom