• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Avengers is dead. The final update has been released alongside message by Square Enix.

RockyRZ

Neo Member
Episode 2 Whatever GIF

They pulled this from PS Plus Extra before releasing this "the content in our 60 dollar retail title is 'free' now" update, even though I think they're only keeping the servers open until September or so. What a stupid garbage decision.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I played at leat 100 hours across ps4 and 5, it was a fun time waster and the main campaign was decent. It had no business being a live service

Man...I actually really enjoyed the campaign when the game came out. The combat was very well done too and the heroes were awesome. Sadly, the game's structure and loot system was kind of what fucked it over. At least they tried saving it, but it just goes to show - you can't really release half-baked GaaS titles unless they went through some enormous testing for their end-game systems.

Power Pro

For those who'd want to play it solo, it's nice that they did this at least, and that you'd probably have access to them going forward. It's not ideal for any game to turn out this way, but at least they're handling the shut down better than most games, and the fact that it has an offline mode at all brings it up a few points.

Rhazkul

What's up with Square Enix and all the flops? Forspoken, Deux Ex (basically abandoned), Avengers..,i doubt this is sustainable...

ElRenoRaven

This game was just so sad. As mentioned campaign was ok. Gameplay was ok. However it should have never had the whole GAAS shit. Should have just been released as a single player maybe co-op game without all the gear shit to grind and it would probably have done better.

Nickolaidas

For those who'd want to play it solo, it's nice that they did this at least, and that you'd probably have access to them going forward. It's not ideal for any game to turn out this way, but at least they're handling the shut down better than most games, and the fact that it has an offline mode at all brings it up a few points.
That's the way all companies should end a GAAS game, imo. Kudos to them.

GymWolf

Man...I actually really enjoyed the campaign when the game came out. The combat was very well done too and the heroes were awesome. Sadly, the game's structure and loot system was kind of what fucked it over. At least they tried saving it, but it just goes to show - you can't really release half-baked GaaS titles unless they went through some enormous testing for their end-game systems.
Yeah, the combat was nice and the hero felt different enough, too bad for literally everything else.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The game was released 3 years ago. You guys act as if it was 3 months ago. 3 years is a long time for this type of game.

It was a fun play through, not as horrible as you would think but yeah the multiplayer missions definitely felt tacked on.

Certinty

I still can't believe how badly they fucked up an Avengers game given at the time it was probably the biggest franchise in the world. The even sadder part is the characters play well, it's just everything else, the less said the better...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Everything’s free? Going to have to update and start playing again before they turn the lights off.

Gotta love always online single player bullshit.

I thought this game was hot trash. The campaign story was the most interesting thing about, but most of the missions featured dull beat 'em up gameplay. Plus:

Why is Iron Man flying at what feels like 5 mph?
Why do there need to be 15 different types of in-game currencies?
Why do I have to micromanage my inventory so much?
How is it possible that these large levels are completely uninteresting?

The game is better now if only for the fact that you can treat it as a Marvel 3D costume viewer.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Yet another example that I can point towards when someone asks me why I will never ever buy a full-priced live service game again.

This fucking crap should either be free to play since day 1, or it shouldn't rely on central servers to be able to run, so that when developers inevitably abandon it, then you can at least continue to play it at your own leisure.

I can't believe I bought this on release. One of the biggest wastes of money ever.

Last edited:
What's up with Square Enix and all the flops? Forspoken, Deux Ex (basically abandoned), Avengers..,i doubt this is sustainable...

Well luckily they sold off Deus Ex, so there's at least a marginally better chance we get another good Deus Ex game than if Square continued to own them

Top Bottom