• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Hamill defends the Star Wars prequels, angry with about how Jake Lloyd was treat

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceWolf

Banned
yeah yeah, school sucks and kids are cruel. it's a living hell for many people who aren't rich and famous.

This guy isn't rich.

This guy isn't hugely famous.

Even so, neither factors help very much when you're getting bullied mercilessly for much of your life. Try a little empathy.

horkrux

Not for nothing, but you don't really seem all that concerned about storytelling at all. Or at least anywhere near as much as you are about toys.

Why? Because that would make me think otherwise about the movie? It's Star Wars. It's sci-fi. There are bound to be toys everywhere. Or lack thereof, and then it turns into a problem. It's something I usually take for granted with these movies. It's telling when even RO got that right, the movie that went so far out of its why to show us something more original and create a unique tone (for a SW movie that is), while not having the luxury of a large gap in time.

Does it though? I mean, sure there's a droid with important information - but barring that one, single McGuffin (which, in and of itself, is an obvious, intentional throwback), are there really very many similarities between the specifics of Luke's situation versus Rey's? Luke's stuck in a dull, routine existence, albeit with a loving aunt and uncle. Rey's a scavenger living in complete solitude, abandoned and forgotten. Luke is desperate to leave, Rey is determined to stay. He seeks adventure, she awaits a family that may never return. And how does Finn fit into the equation? Is there a corresponding turn-coat in A New Hope that I've forgotten about? Not to mention the lack of a "mentor" in TFA's desert sections. Rey and Finn are more or less entirely on their own until they meet Han at the beginning of act 2.

It certainly has its own set of characters with different motivations and background. This is its biggest merit. The problem is that too many events in the story are essentially copied, going from the initial setup and the beginning of the movie right up until almost the end with the destruction of the new super weapon, that was threatening to destroy the planet where the base was located they were trying to find. Which they reached by travelling with the Millenium Falcon.
And that single McGuffin was also sadly going to be indicative to how poorly they connected these copied story pieces together, since it rarely makes any sense.

Why? Because that would make me think otherwise about the movie? It's Star Wars. It's sci-fi. There are bound to be toys everywhere. Or lack thereof, and then it turns into a problem.

What

I was pointing out that your response started out like you were going to criticize the storytelling and then you just complained that there weren't enough new toys in it for you.

Are you actually concerned about the story or would whatever problems you did have with the story get backburnered because of all the sweet new vehicles?

Pizza

I don't like the prequels and I love to hate on baby Vader

But it is not the child actor's fault the movie was trash. At all.

Arttemis

The prequels are unforgivably awful, but whoever blamed the actors is idiotic. Samuel Jackson, Natalie Portman, Liam Neeson, and Ewan McGregor were devoid of any soul, which is a clear indication that the director clearly intended for it to be so vapid of charm.

SpaceWolf

Banned
The prequels are unforgivably awful, but whoever blamed the actors is idiotic. Samuel Jackson, Natalie Portman, Liam Neeson, and Ewan McGregor were devoid of any soul, which is a clear indication that the director clearly intended for it to be so vapid of charm.

tumblr_inline_nkesb3b8U31sc2afv.gif

Liam and Ewan were the few characters that actually were redeeming points of the prequels. They did pretty good jobs considering what they had to work with.

Same goes for Ian McDiarmid.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Liam and Ewan were the few characters that actually redeeming points of the prequels. They did pretty good jobs considering what they had to work with.

Ian McDiarmid almost single-handedly rescues Revenge of the Sith.

The man was a godsend. A modern day Atlas.

RevenWolf

I hate the prequels but it was always so hyperbolic to say the ruined childhoods lol.

And I'm in full agreement that Jake was so unfairly treated, he was just a kid.

Hell honestly I feel most actors that are considered bad get so much hate that I don't understand, it's like people take bad performances personally or something.

Arttemis

Liam and Ewan were the few characters that actually were redeeming points of the prequels. They did pretty good jobs considering what they had to work with.

I think you misunderstand; I'm not disagreeing with you. If anything positive was gleaned from their performances, I honestly thing it was in spite of George Lucas's directing. He clearly stifled the performances of all the actors.

I hate the prequels but it was always so hyperbolic to say the ruined childhoods lol.

And I'm in full agreement that Jake was so unfairly treated, he was just a kid.

Hell honestly I feel most actors that are considered bad get so much hate that I don't understand, it's like people take bad performances personally or something.

But it literally did ruin Jake's childhood.

And probably Hayden's acting career also.

I think you misunderstand; I'm not disagreeing with you. If anything positive was gleaned from their performances, I honestly thing it was in spite of George Lucas's directing. He clearly stifled the performances of all the actors.

Ah yeah, you're right. You're saying that Lucas had this star-studded cast of talented actors and somehow managed to make virtually all of them into lifeless wooden boards.

Ogodei

I never understood the hate. Sure they're cheesy but there's only a few bits of them that are actively, obnoxiously bad.

In my mind i always play off Anakin's bad dialogue as either him being a 9-year-old kid (seriously, talk to 9 year olds. They sound closer to Anakin in Ep I than, say, Arnold in Hey Arnold, though he was also child-acted), or being a socially repressed young man with no idea how to talk to anyone except for Obi-Wan.

Doesn't excuse it, but him being awkward as shit is in-universe justifiable.

Here's a question worth pondering: What if George Lucas was a competent director and got a stellar performance out of everyone involved, including Jake Lloyd? Would he have gone on the same trajectory as he did, or could his life had gone differently? I think of Haley Joel Osment and Drew Barrymore, who had both starred in highly successful blockbusters as child actors.

Haley seemed to be the level headed of the two, having not been the poster child for drug dependency like Drew was, but did he ever have the issues that Jake did as a result of his stardom? It's like he dropped off the face of earth when he hit puberty and then reemerged on Veep. Drew, on the otherhand, ended up falling on hard times before she was even 10, but I don't know if it had anything to do with backlash stemming from her performance in E.T.. I don't know what Haley's thoughts on his experience with Sixth Sense was, but I know that Drew looks back fondly on her role in E.T. through numerous interviews throughout the years. As people have said many times here, kids can be assholes, so I'm sure that Haley and Drew got their fair share of hate as well. Fast forward to the present, any asshole could pile on them for starring in Sixth Sense and E.T. but at the end of the day, what power do they have? I think if Jake were able to say "fuck it" and own his place in TPM without apologies it's possible he could have won over a sizable fanbase as a result.

And for the record, I don't believe that George Lucas ruined anyone's childhood. I always figured that it was meant to be a humorous byline by comedians and satirists, but I never assumed that people would actually take that meme to heart. The world we live in:-/

Skux

The prequels are terrible but anyone with half a brain could tell that it was entirely Lucas' fault. We've seen Portman, Neeson and McGregor do much better in other films that it's plain to see it was the writing and direction that sucked.

emrober5

Saying fans overreacted and "defending the prequels" are not the same thing.

Doesn't say a thing about the quality of the prequels, and how could he? They're trash.

The prequels are terrible but anyone with half a brain could tell that it was entirely Lucas' fault. We've seen Portman, Neeson and McGregor do much better in other films that it's plain to see it was the writing and direction that sucked.

It's nothing short of a miracle that Natalie Portman's career survived. I remember her taking an indirect jab at Lucas after the director, Mike Nichols had died. She said that for a long time no director would hire her because they all assumed she couldn't act and that it was Mike Nichols who stepped forward and was willing to take a chance with her.

Surfinn

He's also forgetting that Han and Leia didn't get together in New Hope, or that there wasn't a romance in Phantom Menace. Also both first movies. Plus, of course, the entire idea at the base of this that makes everything extra absurd: just because you have a female lead in the movie, does she need a romance to be interesting? That's problematic in itself. After getting it two times, I'm happy we're getting a woman in an important role in these movies that isn't a princess for one of the male leads to fall in love with, with that being pretty much her entire arc.

But yes, let's ignore every other statement RLM made on things like this and let's just say that Lucasfilm (sorry, Disney) is racist for not having a black man and a white woman kiss the first time they meet, regardless of context.

But I get the feeling he's not interested in an argument, given that he ignored more examples of RLM's weird behavior when I gave them after he asked for it, but more interested in Not Being Wrong On The Internet. Also weird how Dick Justice is giving Surfinn shit for agreeing with my opinion while ignoring all my arguments just because they're not convenient for him.

I think I've said everything there is to say on the subject. Too much, actually, especially because this thread wasn't about RLM in the first place. I'll give it a rest. Good night fellas.
Great post. I don't get the RLM defense force I've seen on this board lately (noticed it in lots of threads recently), especially in regard to some of their more shallow and clearly close minded bits of criticism. It's a weird thing to be passionate about. Feels like if it were anyone else, people wouldn't be openly defending it but RLM has naturally green lit this perspective, riding on the back of the success of Plinkett's PT reviews from over a decade ago.

I actually really like Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. /shrugs

Though, yes, the writing leaves a lot to be desired.

I saw it again recently since I own it on Blu-ray. It's horrifyingly bad. It's worse now than when I saw it in the theater in my early 20s.

And it's not just the writing...

Saying fans overreacted and "defending the prequels" are not the same thing.

Doesn't say a thing about the quality of the prequels, and how could he? They're trash.

There are a lot of people who have a lot invested in fighting that particular "good fight," so much so that whenever anyone at any time speaks out against shitting on them, it's now interpreted as a defense of them.

Of course, the fact it's still such a concern that even discussing them in terms of losses and victories is really fucking weird, but that's unfortunately a built in aspect of this fandom now. There are always going to be a significant (until age starts whittling us down) group of fans who refuse to a) let go of the fact the narrative is set and the Prequels do not fare well in it, b) let go of the idea that narrative was arrived at fairly, and c) let go of the notion that Star Wars has to bat 1.000 in order to be appreciated fully - which is partially why they fight so hard against the narrative that the first three movies aren't that good.

It's a weird thing. Fans of countless other film (and television) series, are able to like the more maligned chapters, appreciate the more mocked entries, and admit those entries are mocked for a reason without the entire fanbase drawing lines and going for the throat whenever it's brought up.

But Star Wars fans, man...

Jake Lloyd developeds severe mental health issues to the point where I believe he is still held in a mental hospital for them. Due in no small part to the constant, unending bullying and abuse he suffered as a child.

Nothing makes that okay

Greedings

I had no idea that he was set upon by the star wars fanbase. Too young at the time to even consider looking up the actors in a movie.

It's pathetic, he wasn't at fault for the shitty movie, he was just a weak actor, and it's not like poor actors are hard to come by.

Wasn't Hayden nominated for an Oscar or Golden Globe or something? Then after star wars he tried acting again but most of his movies were critical and commercial failures?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I had no idea that he was set upon by the star wars fanbase. Too young at the time to even consider looking up the actors in a movie.

It's pathetic, he wasn't at fault for the shitty movie, he was just a weak actor, and it's not like poor actors are hard to come by.

Wasn't Hayden nominated for an Oscar or Golden Globe or something? Then after star wars he tried acting again but most of his movies were critical and commercial failures?

Early in his career he was nominated for a couple of awards and he played well in Shattered Glass. He was terrible in Star Wars and his career never recovered. It must be very difficult to escape the shadow of such a bad film and performance, I know that Natalie Portman had to really fight to get serious work after the prequels. I think deep down he knows he doesn't have enough talent to really act and he happily moved onto other things.

Ushojax

you get cast in a big role in one of the biggest movies of all time and you get bullied at school.

kids don't care.

I does make you wonder if George ever considered the potential backlash when he was making the movie. Casting a kid as Darth Vader was a mistake in so many ways but the way it ruined the boy's life was surely the worst.

Greedings

I does make you wonder if George ever considered the potential backlash when he was making the movie. Casting a kid as Darth Vader was a mistake in so many ways but the way it ruined the boy's life was surely the worst.

Yup. It's so easy to forget about this amidst the hate for the movies. Sure, they sucked, but who cares? They're just fantasy stories.

Liamario

Banned
He didn't really defend the prequels to be fair. He questioned whether people were overly negative to them, but I wouldn't take from that interview that he defended the trilogy.
100% right about Jake Lloyd and anyone who attacked the kid really should take a look at themselves in the mirror and perhaps reassess their priorities.

And most of it being nerd rage over a movie that they decided to make personal.

Jake was by no means the only loose end when it came to the performances in that movie.

as Hamill himself said "chunky dialogue".

only the great actors cast in those films managed to save their reputations by managing said dialogue adequately, the poor kid never had a chance.

horkrux

What

I was pointing out that your response started out like you were going to criticize the storytelling and then you just complained that there weren't enough new toys in it for you.

Are you actually concerned about the story or would whatever problems you did have with the story get backburnered because of all the sweet new vehicles?

I think I misunderstood you here. I consider storytelling and story to be different things and I simply didn't have any issues with the former.
I wasn't going into detail regarding the story, because I felt like the similiarities had been talked about plenty enough, so I only explained my problems with the lack of toys (which almost never comes up in these discussions). I didn't want to make it seem like that was more important than the other though ;)

II wasn't going into detail regarding the story, because I felt like the similiarities had been talked about plenty enough, so I only explained my problems with the lack of toys (which almost never comes up in these discussions). I didn't want to make it seem like that was more important than the other though ;)

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification, because yeah that was the part that had me going "hey, wait a min."

But yeah, I don't think there's anything weird/wrong/silly in appreciating Star Wars movies as primarily a floor-show for production and sound design. At which point, seeing nothing but new renders of old makes & models might be disappointing as hell.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait, people actually got mad at the kid?

I'm no fan of child actors, but come on now. Who does this shit?

border

Early in his career he was nominated for a couple of awards and he played well in Shattered Glass. He was terrible in Star Wars and his career never recovered. It must be very difficult to escape the shadow of such a bad film and performance,

I can't imagine what it's like to land this dream role that everyone wants and know that it is going to launch your career in the stratosphere, and then it turns out that role actually ruins your career and prevents you from ever being taken seriously again. How can you not be haunted by that every day?

Ushojax

I can't imagine what it's like to land this dream role that everyone wants and know that it is going to launch your career in the stratosphere, and then it turns out that role actually ruins your career and prevents you from ever being taken seriously again. How can you not be haunted by that every day?

I think even Natalie Portman struggled to convince casting directors for a time, people underestimate just how badly those prequels were received within the industry:

In an interview with New York magazine, the 33-year-old revealed how after the performance 'everyone thought I was a horrible actress' making it nearly impossible to find another part since 'no director wanted to work with me.'

'Star Wars had come out around the time of Seagull and everyone thought I was a horrible actress,' she admitted.

'I was in the biggest-grossing movie of the decade, and no director wanted to work with me. Mike wrote a letter to Anthony Minghella and said, "Put her in Cold Mountain, I vouch for her."'

For a young actor to escape such a trainwreck requires serious talent, Christensen got a few chances after Star Wars but he never convinced.

border

I think even Natalie Portman struggled to convince casting directors for a time, people underestimate just how badly those prequels were received within the industry:

Portman was attending Harvard during the prequels' production, so she wasn't making any other movies. After that, it seems like she kept landing pretty steady and regular work. Nothing on the level of Star Wars, but V For Vendetta and Garden State kept her in the spotlight.

Surfinn

Jake Lloyd wasn't the problem with the prequels. He was just fine for that role. Now, Hayden was definitely part of it
Look I feel just as bad for Jake as anybody but.. Let's not pretend like he wasn't miscast. There were two other kids who were leagues better than him in the documented auditions alone.

I don't doubt he did the best he could have though, with what he was given.

But you're right in that Jake was not the problem with the PT.

This is probably a grey area, but how much of a say do child actors have in their careers vs. what their parents want? Did Jake Lloyd know he wanted this role, or was it all up to his parents, or did he just think he wanted it because his parents told him so?

Monocle

Jake Lloyd wasn't the problem with the prequels. He was just fine for that role. Now, Hayden was definitely part of it
He was not the problem, but he was a problem. His line delivery was very stilted and he didn't convey any of the special qualities you'd expect to see in The Chosen One.™

In one of the Ep. 1 making-of docs, the casting for kid Anakin was narrowed down to Lloyd and an obviously superior child actor who knew how to deliver lines with some sense of feeling and believability. Naturally, Lucas cast Lloyd. His justification was really stupid too. Something about Lloyd's raw untutored quality or something. No George, he was just bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom