• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Wonder fastest selling Mario ever 4.3 million in 2 weeks

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Glad it's doing well, but "Fastest Selling" is the biggest con metric ever devised. Who gives a shit how fast something sells.

Spider-Man 2 sells 2.5m in 24 hours: Meh
Mario Wonder sells 4.3m: Nintendo is killing it.

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

I'm not the world's biggest Nintendo fan (any more) and feel they milk their franchises endlessly, but this... this is fucking awesome :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Looks so good for a Switch game too. The design is just so confident. Particularly love the sound (music and effects). I'm not far enough in yet to say this definitively, but it's looking like this will be my personal GOTY.

Hardensoul

I'm not the world's biggest Nintendo fan (any more) and feel they milk their franchises endlessly, but this... this is fucking awesome :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Looks so good for a Switch game too. The design is just so confident. Particularly love the sound (music and effects). I'm not far enough in yet to say this definitively, but it's looking like this will be my personal GOTY.
Glad you and everyone is enjoying this. I don’t play platformers anymore. I tried to get back on but my patience’s and reflexes aren’t there anymore. 😂

But watching people play and it looks fun. Maybe I’ll try Wonder. I’ll have time soon on my vacation!

Pelao

First 2D Mario I've played since the SNES and I'm having a blast.
The controls, the art style, the level design, I'm loving it all.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
When they tell you games must be narrative cinematic experiences or infested with GaaS endless shit for value of your money… Nintendo proves all of them wrong each and every time. And players follow.

Gameplay > everything else. No other way around.
AMEN.

Rockman33

You’re forgetting the budget here. One Sony barely interactive movie such as SM2 surely costed more to develop than a simple pure game without much marketing or heavy dev budget behind. It’s more of a win for Nintendo here than Sony studios no doubt. Not even debatable.
I just got back from Japan two days ago and the marketing for Mario was EVERYWHERE.

Mario Games on Switch

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe:
57.01m
Super Mario Odyssey: 26.95m
Super Mario Party: 19.66m
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe: 16.70m
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury: 12.58m
Mario Party Superstars: 11.44m
Super Mario 3D All-Stars: 9.07m
Super Mario Maker 2: 8.42m
Mario Tennis Aces: 4.50m
Super Mario Bro's Wonder: 4.30m
Paper Mario Origami King: 3.47m
Mario Strikers Battle League: 2.63m
Mario Golf Super Rush: 2.35m
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: >2.00m
Mario Kart Live Home Circuit: 1.73m
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020: N/A
Mario + Rabbids - Sparks of Hope: N/A

Total: >182.81m

Last edited:

yurinka

Mario Games on Switch

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe:
57.01m
Super Mario Odyssey: 26.95m
Super Mario Party: 19.66m
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe: 16.70m
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury: 12.58m
Mario Party Superstars: 11.44m
Super Mario 3D All-Stars: 9.07m
Super Mario Maker 2: 8.42m
Mario Tennis Aces: 4.50m
Super Mario Bro's Wonder: 4.30m
Paper Mario Origami King: 3.47m
Mario Strikers Battle League: 2.63m
Mario Golf Super Rush: 2.35m
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: >2.00m
Mario Kart Live Home Circuit: 1.73m
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020: N/A
Mario + Rabbids - Sparks of Hope: N/A

Total: >182.81m
Considering there's 1,133.23 million videogames units for Switch, >16% of games sold for Swich are (big seller) Mario games.

dorkimoe

i really want to play this, but sold my switch awhile back. Hoping for backwards compat on switch 2 so i can catch up on these mario games

Mr.Phoenix

I don't know why I expected it to be more in 2 weeks. I mean, its Mario and they have an install base of over 130M.

FeralEcho

Well deserved.Greatest 2D Mario ever made.Hope they continue this style after we get the Switch 2 3D Mario.

Pejo

For it to be a con metric would seem to imply there's not a strong correlation between "fastest selling" and "best-selling".
That's exactly my point. It might eventually be the same thing, but in the meantime it's just some useless metric to make a headline for a marketing department or a group of fanboys. Obviously Nintendo games have incredible legs but how "fast" it sells to a particular number just doesn't seem that valuable of information to me. It could be used as part of a series of metrics to indicate something interesting like attach rate, market conditions, release date, competition of Nintendo published game towards the holiday season, etc.

Like pick a Mario game in the middle of the pack, Super Mario 64. Wikipedia has it at 11.9 million copies sold, cool. How long did it take to sell 4.3 million? If you don't care or know, why is it important now?

For what it's worth, I think it's even more worthless when Sony announces their "fastest selling" metrics because it's usually for a game with less than 5 entries in the IP. I bet The Avengers was the fastest selling 3rd person superhero action combat GaaS made by S-E. Where's that headline?

Anyways, in trying to explain this I've made way too big a deal about it, and I honestly don't care that much. I'm just trying to explain, in my opinion, why this metric is bupkis.

Hardensoul

Yes I talk about sales right now, not engagement.
Historically mainline 2D Mario lifetime sales are over 30m plus for each release.

But the only issue for Wonder is that it’s releasing maybe end of Switch life! Can it reach 30m lifetime? I think so, Nintendo plays the long game for their games!

Edit: I mis remembered not all were 30m sellers. Super Mario SNES was 20m and Super Mario 2 was lower. Super Mario 1 40m. But NSMB Wii/DS 30m each. WiiU/Switch version 18m.

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Kids today must be confused when they don't see always online, paid early access, pre-order bonuses, skins, seasons and consumables, like a best value vault of mushrooms for $69.99. Unfortunately.

K' Dash

Historically mainline 2D Mario lifetime sales are over 30m plus for each release.

But the only issue for Wonder is that it’s releasing maybe end of Switch life! Can it reach 30m lifetime? I think so, Nintendo plays the long game for their games!

Edit: I mis remembered not all were 30m sellers. Super Mario SNES was 20m and Super Mario 2 was lower. Super Mario 1 40m. But NSMB Wii/DS 30m each. WiiU/Switch version 18m.

it will surpass 30 million when they release the DX version on Switch 2

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Now if Nintendo could take all the money made from this and MAKE A GOD DAMN WARIO LAND GAME PLEASE!

The last one we got was the amazing Wario Land Shake It! on Wii, I love the side scrolls from Ninrendo but I really want a new Wario game... hell have a Wario Land Wonder expansion to this.

Woopah

You’re forgetting the budget here. One Sony barely interactive movie such as SM2 surely costed more to develop than a simple pure game without much marketing or heavy dev budget behind. It’s more of a win for Nintendo here than Sony studios no doubt. Not even debatable.
They are both massive wins that are commercial and critical successes. Both are great games and neither are movies.

Dis

Fastest selling Mario ever. While it was leaked and all over reddit working flawlessly on Ryujinx.

Does piracy impact sales and everything that much really? Makes me

Wonder

nemiroff

Gold Member
When they tell you games must be narrative cinematic experiences or infested with GaaS endless shit for value of your money… Nintendo proves all of them wrong each and every time. And players follow.

Gameplay > everything else. No other way around.
Who's saying that..? From Software? Larian Studios?

Anyway, I'll buy this game, always enjoyed Mario games.

zombrex

I hope this success means it gets a harder DLC mode similar to Super Luigi U. Game is just too easy and thus boring in my humble opinion, the wonder effects are cool but also mostly gimmick that do not hold up after first playthrough. That said I think it is a great game for young kids and families. I just wish nintendo would not forsake the gamers that have been playing mario for decades and want a decent challenge.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I hope this success means it gets a harder DLC mode similar to Super Luigi U. Game is just too easy and thus boring in my humble opinion, the wonder effects are cool but also mostly gimmick that do not hold up after first playthrough. That said I think it is a great game for young kids and families. I just wish nintendo would not forsake the gamers that have been playing mario for decades and want a decent challenge.
For me the last level is a challenge, that invisibility badge is killing me, any tips?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
For me the last level is a challenge, that invisibility badge is killing me, any tips?

Just use the clouds, I feel that the issue is that quite often you under jump because your being overly cautious, you need to be aggressive and trust yourself more, commit all the way into jumps.

Go play SMB The Lost Levels

Top Bottom