• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Wonder fastest selling Mario ever 4.3 million in 2 weeks

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
my insider sources harv not let me down

image.png

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
When they tell you games must be narrative cinematic experiences or infested with GaaS endless shit for value of your money… Nintendo proves all of them wrong each and every time. And players follow.

Gameplay > everything else. No other way around.

Last edited:
When they tell you games must be narrative cinematic experiences or infested with GaaS endless shit for value of your money… Nintendo proves all of them wrong each and every time. And players follow.

I get your point. But I've never seen anyone saying games need to be cinematic experiences or GaaS to sell well. On the contrary, I've seen a lot of detractors for those kind of games.
The only thing I've seen is people saying games need to have an online component to be successful, co-op or multiplayer. Which sometimes helps and others doesn't.

Perfo

Spider-Man 2 sells 2.5m in 24 hours: Meh
Mario Wonder sells 4.3m: Nintendo is killing it.
You’re forgetting the budget here. One Sony barely interactive movie such as SM2 surely costed more to develop than a simple pure game without much marketing or heavy dev budget behind. It’s more of a win for Nintendo here than Sony studios no doubt. Not even debatable.

Last edited:

Kerotan

I mean it's basically the same gameplay forever now with Mario. It's up there with cod and FIFA in terms of repetitive series that sell well.

I know you like having a dig a modern games but the reality is there's a market for all these type of games. Variety is the spice of life.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Spider-Man 2 sells 2.5m in 24 hours: Meh
Mario Wonder sells 4.3m: Nintendo is killing it.
One has bundles, special edition bundles, the most popular superhero of all times and multi million dollar marketing campaigns and the other is just a modest plumper :messenger_winking_tongue:
Also, Mario was WAY cheaper to make, so the profit scale to Nintendo still continues to be the best, so yeah, they're killing it and with a lot to spare

Perfo

Drop the console war bait.
I mean it's basically the same gameplay forever now with Mario.
Well at least there’s gameplay in it, right? 🤣
Can’t say much for Sony 1st party games that for too long I tried to convince myself were fun! Let them sink. I say here and now without owning an Xbox since 360: even Microsoft understands gaming better than them.

We need games games games games 🎉

Last edited:
One has bundles, special edition bundles, the most popular superhero of all times and multi million dollar marketing campaigns and the other is just a modest plumper :messenger_winking_tongue:
Special editions that cost $599 and bundles that launched at $560, but yeah the modest plumber that even my grandma knows.

Not bad, not bad at all. The source is from this Nintendo briefing (page 18) which OP for some reason didn't mention: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2023/231108e.pdf

• Super Mario Bros. Wonder, which was released worldwide on October20, achieved global cumulative sales of 4.3 million units within the first two weeks. This makes it the fastest-selling* Super Mario related title.
• Super Mario related titles also tend to sell consistently over a long period of time. We anticipate this title will be an appealing choice for consumers during the upcoming holiday season and will continue to sell next year onwards as well.
• Super Mario Bros. Wonder is the first entirely new entry in the sidescrolling Super Mario series in about 11 years.
• This title provides surprising new 2D Mario experiences, and we believe that this, in conjunction with global excitement from The Super MarioBros. Movie, resulted in the large sales volume.

Last edited:

Mowcno

So Spiderman almost certainly beat it first 2 weeks in a much smaller installbase too. Not really what I expected. Though this will likely change by the end of the year I think.

Quite interesting how unfrontloaded mario sales are. The best mario launch sales ever pale in comparison to Zelda and Pokémon but should be a bit healthier lifetime. As long as Switch 2 doesn't kill its legs anyway.

Hugare

If that would be the case, then Returnal would have sold more than Spider-man

More like brand recognition matters

And the Mario brand is now stronger than ever after the movie and etc.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I think the game is 8.5 tbh, and the sales are not that great for a Mario game coming in the same year as a blockbuster movie. The other Mario titles did get an increase because of the movie, so it makes sense that maybe there's a bit of a Mario fatigue.

amigastar

I did my Part Gif.
Game is great, lots of fun Still doesn't reach the heights of Super Mario World on SNES, though.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Well deserved! Best 2D Mario since the 1990’s.

Love seeing them finally apply the same amount of new gameplay ideas/mechanics and attention to detail as in the 3D titles in the 2D series again.

Pejo

Companies selling products care. What makes it a con metric?
Because the sales number that makes it "fastest" is always arbitrary. In this case it's 4.3 million. Maybe another smaller game's fastest is 150k in 3 weeks, 2 days 7 hour and 43 minutes. It's meaningless.

Let me go check how many games had their "4.3 million copies" celebration. It's just pure flavor text to make you think it hit some sort of milestone.

4.3 million copies sold is a great achievement, and shows the quality of the game just fine, "fastest Mario game to sell 4.3 million copies!" is just fanboy fanservice.

Woopah

Because the sales number that makes it "fastest" is always arbitrary. In this case it's 4.3 million. Maybe another smaller game's fastest is 150k in 3 weeks, 2 days 7 hour and 43 minutes. It's meaningless.

Let me go check how many games had their "4.3 million copies" celebration. It's just pure flavor text to make you think it hit some sort of milestone.

4.3 million copies sold is a great achievement, and shows the quality of the game just fine, "fastest Mario game to sell 4.3 million copies!" is just fanboy fanservice.
It's not arbitrary at all. It's "how many copies has the game sold so far".

The only difference between this and the other software updates they gave is that this is sold through and not shipped (since the game was released outside the reporting period).

Irs been 2 weeks since launch, and they are saying it has sold through more in those 2 weeks than any other previous Mario title. Which is indeed a milestone.

What metric should they have used instead?

Porticus

It's not arbitrary at all. It's "how many copies has the game sold so far".

The only difference between this and the other software updates they gave is that this is sold through and not shipped (since the game was released outside the reporting period).

Irs been 2 weeks since launch, and they are saying it has sold through more in those 2 weeks than any other previous Mario title. Which is indeed a milestone.

What metric should they have used instead?

Don't waste your time, the dude is pissed off about the achievement of Nintendo but what can you do when MS is normalizing the "engagement" value.

John Wick

Plumper? Mario isn't exactly an unknown now is he? Especially after the movie lol.
Love 2d Mario games. Hope they make more

John Wick

I was already sold but my only problem I need less busy month so I can actually able to play it….but 2023 just doesn’t know how to stop….Super Mario RPG releasing soon.
You guys crazy? I play a few levels every day. I'm not gonna rush this excellent game.

John Wick

That’s my point, I’m waiting for less busy month so I can take my sweet time with this game.
I fit it in about 30 mins a day while playing other games. I'm debating whether to rush through a play through then replay and collect everything. Will be many hidden things.

swaffles23

I love it. It's the best Mario game since Super Mario world imo and so much better than that god awful New SMB series

Top Bottom