• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Odyssey is elegant

Javthusiast

Banned
The only elegant thing is that dress on Paulinas ass.

Dj Khaled Dance GIF

LMJ

It's funny I was reading that title and I thought to myself "yes elegant, perfect word for it"

Everything in this game from new donk City down to the movement, to the collectibles even the boss fights feels like a work of passion...

As for 3D world it's a good game, but can't begin to hope to match the level of finesse that was put into Odyssey

kiphalfton

LOL without fail any thread even remotely praising anything nintendo does has people tripping over their dicks to rush in and shit on them.

Yeah, same goes for Sony or Microsoft stuff and especially steam deck.

Yeah i totally agree it's a really small library of games,

oh! wait. Yeahhhh totally small library
ynZmunN.jpg

Bro, not even 1% (literally) of those games are AAA. Nice try though.

It's funny I was reading that title and I thought to myself "yes elegant, perfect word for it"

Everything in this game from new donk City down to the movement, to the collectibles even the boss fights feels like a work of passion...

As for 3D world it's a good game, but can't begin to hope to match the level of finesse that was put into Odyssey

The collectibles, really. That's the biggest gripe across the board.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Yes sir! Didn't find it magical as I did with Galaxy but the game is solid and the controls are the best I've ever used in any game period. I'm having a hard time trying to find all the moons, I'm at 540 or so, I'll play every once in a while tho...

How many moons do you all ended up having in the game?

Alan Wake

I just bought the game and haven't played that much of it yet, but so far I think 3D World is the better Mario game (apart from the controls, obviously). BUt that may change in a few hours or so.

BigBooper

I like it. Agreed the movement is great with two exceptions. The hat jumps never felt good and not janky. The other npc movement do not seem smooth and fluid.

As for other Mario, Mario 3D land is actually the best Mario since Galaxy 2.

I mean, it's a very different kind of 3D Mario so that's a weird point to make to begin with.
Eh? It can be different and also the worst. So if you have a list of things and you rank them from best to worst, the most different can't also be at the bottom of the list?

It is a bit different. It's also the worst of the 3d Marios. It's not a bad game but it's poor by Mario standards.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Eh? It can be different and also the worst. So if you have a list of things and you rank them from best to worst, the most different can't also be at the bottom of the list?

It is a bit different. It's also the worst of the 3d Marios. It's not a bad game but it's poor by Mario standards.
I was afraid it could be somewhat less than stellar, despite seeing long jump and triple jumps, until I played it and tried the super powers and played through the levels. It is an amazing Mario game.

kiphalfton

AAA ≠ good, fun, quality
I would say the vast majority of those ~4000 games are still shovelware. This happens every generation, on every console. Go look at all the games released on any console, and 80% of them suck and nobody talks about them. On top of that, the remaining 20% consists primarily of multiplatform stuff that's also on PS4/Xbox One/etc. Switch exclusive output is garbage (even ignoring stuff that was ported from previous gen Nintendo consoles).

Last edited:

JumpMan1981

Banned
Mario Galaxy is the best one for me but I think Odyssey is a really great game too.

What impressed me far into the game was just the level of creativity that is right there in every aspect of the game design.
Even after 100s of moons I would find something that was fun or interesting to engage with.
It's just a game that is good to play.

I think a lot of AAA games are amazing from a visual point of view or from a storytelling point of view.
Odyssey feels more connected to an older generation of gaming where creativity in gameplay is the main thing.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I would say the vast majority of those ~4000 games are still shovelware. This happens every generation, on every console. Go look at all the games released on any console, and 80% of them suck and nobody talks about them. On top of that, the remaining 20% consists primarily of multiplatform stuff that's also on PS4/Xbox One/etc. Switch exclusive output is garbage (even ignoring stuff that was ported from previous gen Nintendo consoles).
20% from 4000 are still 800 games and to be honest you can easily enjoy a vast majority of multiplatform games on Switch. How big is the tradeoff of playing something like Celeste on Switch instead of the PS4? Marginal at best. On top the handheld factor is something a lot of people do enjoy, which is a reason why indie and retro games are best played on Switch for many. Pixelart games in particular just look great on a handheld display and the portability is huge plus as well. The latter also applies for more taxing games and despite the notion that everything supposedly runs at sub 30 FPS, in an unplayable state and jadajada, there are several more taxing games that run very decent: Tony Hawk, Crash 4, Dragon Quest X etc.
Even something like Doom is an impressive feat and runs smooth for the most part. For more taxing games there always will be tradeoffs in the technical department for obvious reasons, just saying that plenty of those games can still be enjoyed. Not every port is horrible. Thats's a myth. And for indie games or smaller titles you usually don't have to tradeoff anything at all.

And to be honest, if you include Nintendo's Wii U games the lineup is fantastic. Most people never had a Wii U so those games are entirely new to them. I mean come on now, there is a lot of great stuff.

Robb

Gold Member
Yeah, I absolutely love Odyssey. Best Mario game since the Galaxy games imo, though I still prefer the Galaxy games a tiny bit more.

Was hoping we'd get a 'Odyssey 2' by now, or at least some DLC kingdoms, but it doesn't seem like that's happening.

SpiceRacz

I'd rank the 3D Mario games something like this:

Galaxy 2
SM64
3D World
Galaxy
Sunshine
Odyssey
3D Land

On the subject of Odyssey, it's a masterpiece. There's not another 3D platformer from current or last gen that compares.

elPisuika

Neo Member
While both great games I still think 3D World was better than Odyssey.

This music is pure joy. Beautiful in every sense.

It was really a good surprise, I didn't expect it to be good.

I wanted to go for the 100% but asking to pass each level with each character is just ridiculous imo. I was able to get everything except for that

3D World is a fun game, but pales in comparison to Odyssey (or Galaxy 1/2). As was mentioned elsewhere the diagonal movement limitation by itself keeps it from surpassing other 3D Mario games. It is REALLY limiting if you're used to normal movement. My personal ranking would be (I've played them all in the last year):

Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 (I can't separate them)
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Mario 3D World

Keep in mind even the last place game is a solid B+ for me - all of these are classics with just minor variations in greatness.

I agree with the OP that Mario's movement by itself is a big reason I place Odyssey first. It is a joy to play and probably the first time in years that I just smiled playing a Mario game from start to finish (even when I repeatedly died on some of the tougher end-of-game levels). I 100%-ed the game and Balloon World and I don't do that unless I'm really having fun playing the game.

fallingdove

Yeah i totally agree it's a really small library of games,

oh! wait. Yeahhhh totally small library
ynZmunN.jpg
Lol - just because you have little discretion doesn’t disprove Corgi’s statement. There are some real gems on the switch but the volume of shit indie games is overwhelming.

3D World is a fun game, but pales in comparison to Odyssey (or Galaxy 1/2). As was mentioned elsewhere the diagonal movement limitation by itself keeps it from surpassing other 3D Mario games. It is REALLY limiting if you're used to normal movement. My personal ranking would be (I've played them all in the last year):

Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 (I can't separate them)
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Mario 3D World

Keep in mind even the last place game is a solid B+ for me - all of these are classics with just minor variations in greatness.

I agree with the OP that Mario's movement by itself is a big reason I place Odyssey first. It is a joy to play and probably the first time in years that I just smiled playing a Mario game from start to finish (even when I repeatedly died on some of the tougher end-of-game levels). I 100%-ed the game and Balloon World and I don't do that unless I'm really having fun playing the game.

movement isn’t the most important component

level design is.

odyssey is abysmal there

MistBreeze

I bought the switch when odyssey released

it is a great game I appreciate the hat mechanic, movements, kingdoms and every thing else

there are really a lot of a great Idea but there was something missing that is substantial

it felt a big collectathon game

there is not enough platforming in this game ( despite some rocket missions )

there is no challenge at all

actually crash 4 gave me much better platforming and challenge than mario odyssey

regardless as a whole it is one of the best games in recent memory just for creativity aka hat mechanic is one of the best and most creative idea in a game

Last edited:

sn0man

The game is so overated and 800+ moons to collect is the lamest shit I have seen in a Mario game. Why can't Nin make a worthy Mario 64 sequel ?
Hub world , nice large levels to explore and 100 -200 stars or moons to collect, and maybe some Yoshi coins to unlock late game content like star road.
Just my 2 cents, but I feel like the moons work with the switch concept. Got 15 minutes go grab 3 or 4 moons. Got 5 minutes go get 1.

I love SM64 to death and it will forever hit me, but I appreciate Odyssey for what it is. Just some fun jump in jump out Mario.

Top Bottom