• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 is the worst 3d mario kart

Jeeves

I like MK8 and it might be my favorite in the series. I will concede that the roster could be better, battle mode sucks and 200cc is dumb.

But instead I would like to bring up a point that I hope we can all agree on, even though it has nothing to do with MK8:

GBA Bowser's Castle 3 is the best track ever.

The one point I'll agree on is the roster, solely because of the exclusion of my boy Bowser Jr.

No, instead we get a whole gaggle of shit-tier Koopa youngsters.

To reiterate what people have said already, this is definitely not true for 64. Lightweights were definitely the best choice, followed by Heavies, then the hot garbage that were Middleweights. Lightweights had high acceleration as well as the highest top speed. Heavies and Mids had the same top speed, but heavies had a much better accel curve. Proof.

Super off topic, but MAKE SURE to watch this video with English closed captions on, it's hilarious.

GametimeUK

No Mario Kart game has captured me like Double Dash. For some reason that game is perfect in my eyes. The DS version came close, Mario Kart Wii disgusted me and Mario Kart 8 has been sat on my shelf for yhe good part of what feels like 2 years. I had played it briefly...

But omg I shouldn't have dismissed Mario Kart 8. The oversized aesthetics annoy me, but it is as close to Double Dash as it will ever be for me.

Also, that DLC. I paid between 10 and 15 quid for half a games worth of tracks, a few characters and carts etc. Value like that doesn't come along often.

HCgamer

I do not think it is as good as 7 I rank it second best game in the series followed by DS. I own have yet to play 64 and Double Dash. 8 will be remembered for it's graphics first hd mario kart and the first game in the series to bring characters tracks not from the mario universe to kart future mario karts will get treated like smash bros. I hope.

Davey Cakes

I like MK8 and it might be my favorite in the series. I will concede that the roster could be better, battle mode sucks and 200cc is dumb.
I'll give you points 1 and 2 but not point 3.

200CC is really fun and a nice change of pace. All my friends wanted to stick to 150CC which kind of sucked because some tracks are flat-out better in 200CC (such as ExciteBike Arena) and it's just fun to "go fast" and have to actually anticipate turns. I will say some tracks became nightmare fuel with the increase in speed. Neo Bowser City and Dragon Driftway are truly challenging at that point.

Basically, I've been fine with pretty much all of the "additions" in MK8. It's what they didn't include (better single player, proper battle mode, MKWii's character variety) that hurt.

MK8 is not perfect but it's still bloody brilliant in the right areas.

Yudoken

NO.
A drift mechanic in Blur would truly make the game be a Mario Kart with a Need for Speed coat of paint. Blur is unique that you need to learn how take the turns somewhat properly instead taking turns in a brain dead way all the time.

Besides you can use the Nitro during a regular drift anyways to speed through sharper turns anyways.

Blur is my favorite best item based racer. Best item system of any racer.

I honestly don't like the drift mechanic but I definitely agree that Blur is one of the best item based racers out there.

Jeeves

I'll give you points 1 and 2 but not point 3.

200CC is really fun and a nice change of pace. All my friends wanted to stick to 150CC which kind of sucked because some tracks are flat-out better in 200CC (such as ExciteBike Arena) and it's just fun to "go fast" and have to actually anticipate turns. I will say some tracks became nightmare fuel with the increase in speed. Neo Bowser City and Dragon Driftway are truly challenging at that point.
Well...I guess I should disclose that my first experience with 200cc was indeed Neo Bowser City, and that I didn't try it many times after that. Maybe I'll give it another shot to spice up some of the game's simpler courses.

Davey Cakes

Well...I guess I should disclose that my first experience with 200cc was indeed Neo Bowser City, and that I didn't try it many times after that. Maybe I'll give it another shot to spice up some of the game's simpler courses.
I think it's a matter of not all tracks being balanced for it, but at least they're all still playable.

Some tracks flow really well in 200CC. Great example: Wild Woods.

Top Bottom