• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macron: Africa's issues are "much more sophisticated than a simple money transfer"

YoungFa

The problem is that France is actually profiting from this situation.

Making grand statement like this when your predecessors actively tried to maintain that statu quo is a bit disingenuous isn't it?
So he is supposed to not acknowledge the situation as it is?

norinrad

Making grand statement like this when your predecessors actively tried to maintain that statu quo is a bit disingenuous isn't it?

The man just entered office, perhaps he wants to tackle the issue. Give him a chance. What you are doing is throwing him under the bus.

Yeoman

No?
Do you know what the word disingenuous means?

TTOOLL

He's not his predecessors...

Also, one of the biggest cultural problems in South America,I live in Brazil, and other underdeveloped countries is not taking responsibility for our own actions. It's always other people's fault. And yet, we keep electing terrible leaders, not investing in education in the long term, poor people tend to have pretty big families and so on.

So yes, it's a civilizational problem.

Condom

using public private partnerships, and must be conducted on a regional and sometimes even national basis.

Hahaha so ok he wants to fuck over Africa even more. Developing countries and public private partnerships are a recipe for disaster. They need centralized government programs to set the foundation, not public-private cooperation. They're not at that stage yet even if you prefer to use such constructions.

Acknowledging the situation as it is would be mentioning the outside meddling from foreign countries (France in particular) in a vast amount of governemental and economical institutions.

Sinse he's going to profit from Africa in the same way, yes it is.

He is not automatically obliged to continue the same policies, so he is entirely within his rights to say things that go against the actions of previous administrations.

Also, one of the biggest cultural problems in South America,I live in Brazil, and other underdeveloped countries is not taking responsibility for our own actions. It's always other people's fault. And yet, we keep electing terrible leaders, not investing in education in the long term, poor people tend to have pretty big families and so on.

I don't know the situation in South America but unless you have another country holding producing and holding a part of your money as well as subjecting you to monetary policy of another economical bloc (the UE here) which prevents you from fully manage your economy as you see fit, I'm pretty sure it's not the same situation.

For the record I'm specifically talking about the Franc CFA zone here.

Ac30

Acknowledging the situation as it is would be mentioning the outside meddling from foreign countries (France in particular) in a vast amount of governemental and economical institutions.

Sinse he's going to profit from Africa in the same way, yes it is.

For what it's worth, he has strongly criticised France's colonial past in Algeria:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/87d6f430-f521-11e6-95ee-f14e55513608

So I would hope that on some level he understands the impact of Africa's colonial past. He could have certainly added that to this speech though.

danthefan

As long as he's willing to act, then no it really isn't.

"Yeah but colonialism" isn't a valid or constructive response to this. If he does nothing then it's certainly disingenuous.

It's not just equatorial Africa though. Equatorial Asia and Americas suffered the same fate and continue to still do today.

Colonialism played a role but the fact that these regions were even vulnerable to colonialism is a matter of geography. Sucks but no one is innocent here. Shoula woulda coulda.

I don't see how anyone can disagree that Africa's issues are "much more sophisticated than a simple money transfer". Now Africa's a big place, so some countries would do fine with just a money transfer, IMO, others need time and effort to develop to a point where a money transfer wouldn't be wasted.

peakish

I understand Africa is expected to have enormous amounts of population growth, but is this realistic?
How would such a population be sustained? Where is the food going to come from? Africa has already been suffering extremely from food scarcity/malnourishment in recent years. An additional billion plus people in 35 years seems unsustainable to me given the current situation there.
Hopefully through a variety of factors. A couple of years ago the Gates' Foundation outlined a few in this letter: Increased yields by up to 50% per area by teaching modern agricultural techniques, improving the regional infrastructure to make it easier to distribute food instead of shipping it across sea and getting mobile phone access to farmers which in turn gives them information about weather, market prices and banking services.

Another interesting article is this one which outlines how African researchers are looking at the possibility of encouraging growth of local instead of foreign crops. These can be more nutritious, more suitable for the climate and resistant to droughts, and improving the diversity could make the agriculture more resistant to bad harvests and decrease the risk of famine.

No doubt none of this will be easy. Especially with how climate change will hit many of these countries hard. But it does not seem hopeless, although I'm far from an expert.

He is not automatically obliged to continue the same policies, so he is entirely within his rights to say things that go against the actions of previous administrations.

Sure, doesn't make it less shitty since he's going to tacitly keep things as they are. He already mentioned what his plans for Africa are, it's not that much different from what Hollande was doing and saying.

As long as he's willing to act, then no it really isn't.

"Yeah but colonialism" isn't a valid or constructive response to this. If he does nothing then it's certainly disingenuous.

If you read my post you would see that I'm not even talking about colonialism here, more about current things happening right now.

(Reading the full quote) He's making a statement that is not only not racist at all, but acknowledges both the process African countries have made and that there are very complex and diverse issues that, precisely, Western aid lenders don't understand and cannot micromanage, and that blindly throwing money into flawed governments won't do anything other than fund criminal/mafioso groups.
He's recognising the agency of African leaders and the need to work with them and listen to what they have to say.
Macron is modern af, he's poised to be a very decent president.

kess

Nah you just completely missed his point. He's talking about population densities. There'a enough land and resources there to sustain it's native population for an extremely long time. There isn't some great scarcity of land and won't be for a long long time. China and India problems with population density are why you've seen the measures taken. The point being if Africa isn't anywhere close to having an overpopulation issue why are certain scholars do concerned about it.

There's more to population than merely having land and food. There are economic, cultural, and religious fault lines which are going to be wildly exacerbated by a higher population. Europe and Asia didn't get to where they are now without massive war snd social upheaval. Facing precedent, the same is probably going to happen in Africa, with its arbritary colonial borders and systemic oligarchic corruption. Of course France is going to try and get ahead of the issue when language and economics makes their country a particularly popular choice for migrants and refugees.

France only benefits from peace and good relations. The alternative was Le Pen.

That's fine, but the stuff happening now is rooted in the past.

Alright so?

Some Africans contries are subjected to ECB economic policies. An entity which as nothing to do with Africa and aren't taking into account their specific problems. I fail to see how that being rooted in the past is relevant to what I'm saying.

sphinx

the piano man
people triggered by the use of the word "civilization".

I think in latin-based languages (I assume he said that in french) that word can have the meaning of "society", not necessarily, "another, non-human race"

Magni

people triggered by the use of the word "civilization".

I think in latin-based languages (I assume he said that in french) that word can have the meaning of "society", not necessarily, "another, non-human race"

Even had he said that in English, it's very common for French speakers to use English words with the French meaning in mind.

Another thing of note is that Macron spent some time in Nigeria as a student when everyone else was trying to go to London/Washington (he did an internship with the French embassy there IIRC). He's got a much more modern take on the situation than his predecessors.

He's far from perfect, but he's far better than what we've had until now.

Usobuko

Banned
It's too late, Africa has missed the boat for the 4th industrial revolution.

Now and for the immediate century, they will just be recipients of technology export from the West global dominance instead of coming up with national champions which big Asia countries did. Lacking domestic heavyweights, it will be significantly harder to rise up from a manufacturer country to a high skilled labor ones. Your local companies will also be at the mercy of being disrupted via technology.

Look from another perspective, democracy is an excuse for developed ( western ) nations to exert influence into underdeveloped ones and to exploit them for their own benefits.

Raven117

It's sad that a complex answer to a complex issue just gets reduced to something people can get outraged at.

Well said actually.

Africa is an extremely difficult situation with specific regional challenges making challenge even more complex.

All I know is this, the West needs to become invested in Africa again. As it stands now, China is having its turn with exploiting the continent for its natural resources, and truly not giving an eff how it effects the locals.

Eylos

Banned
Well Its not hard they need a poor country to get cheap resources, the only thing Europe and usa seems to Care about africa and South america recently is resources and practicing genocide with border Control. When they explored the shit of those places with slavery and Native genocide.

Hope macron Helps, but i dont expect nothing of recent Europe and usa.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Read the title and thought "well yeah, he's certainly right".
Clicked the thread, read the full quote in OP and thought it was all reasonable stuff.

Then I read the OP calling it racist. ????

Macron: Africa's issues are "civilizational" and due to women having too many kids
Oh. Wow. Fucking lol OP.

It's kind of worrying that when confronted with this kind of blatant editorializing otherwise smart people don't immediately stop to think, wait, what did he actually say, and in what context? Our inherent credulity for damaging stories about political adversaries overrides any sense for basic fact checking. Far left twitter sees Macron as the "enemy" so of course they lapped this up. Not to seem too condescending, because I'm just as guilty of this at times reading some of the crazier stories about Trump et al. Old Media has its problems but I really loathe what New Media is doing to the arena of political discussion.
Yep. There's not a single thing wrong that he says. Everything is racist though.
Yes, it's embarrassing to see so-called leftists falling for this reactionary shit too.

Macron: "My thoughts are too complex for those with short attention spans and reactionary behavior"

OP: Hold my beer
lol

SoCoRoBo

Hahaha so ok he wants to fuck over Africa even more. Developing countries and public private partnerships are a recipe for disaster. They need centralized government programs to set the foundation, not public-private cooperation. They're not at that stage yet even if you prefer to use such constructions.

This isn't necessarily true. Look at natural resource exploitation for instance. Most African countries where profits from natural resource exploitation accrue directly to the government end up having terrible problems in sustaining democratic institutions. A lot of former Soviet satellite states had success with public-private partnerships in dealing with their oil.

If you think they're not at the stage to deal with public-private partnerships why would you assume those states would be capable of fairly distributing the profits of a state-owned industry?

Here's a paper on it: http://www.policy.hu/karimli/PaulinLuone_CombatingResourceCurse.pdf

this right wing rhetoric is precious. It's totally the colonized countries fault, not at all the fault of imperialists countries that sacked the former colonies.

this right wing rhetoric is precious. It's totally the colonized countries fault, not at all the fault of imperialists countries that sacked the former colonies.

Serous question. Should the former imperialist countries be blamed indefinitely for the current state of a country? How much time has to pass before a country should be held responsible for not improving itself after gaining independence?

Eylos

Banned
Serous question. Should the former imperialist countries be blamed indefinitely for the current state of a country? How much time has to pass before a country should be held responsible for not improving itself after gaining independence?
When the rich countries help the poor countries to develop, time is not the factor

Deepwater

until they stop benefitting from the colonialization

Liha

Banned

Have you ever heard something about the world-systems theory and the negative peace?It's not in the interest of France to change the status quo.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
OP, what the hell.as fa

until they stop benefitting from the colonialization

Historical inertia doesn't have an expiration date.
Things have gone as they did. Modern economic colonization is a thing, but 1800s stuff really can't be the "fault" of anyone living.

France should be blamed for their current actions which are preserving the statu quo.

Most of the former french colonies aren't independent, they don't even produce their own currency, France does. That's without taking into account the countless acts of meddling in political situations (both in front and behind the scenes) with the Gabon being the latest victim.

Condom

This isn't necessarily true. Look at natural resource exploitation for instance. Most African countries where profits from natural resource exploitation accrue directly to the government end up having terrible problems in sustaining democratic institutions. A lot of former Soviet satellite states had success with public-private partnerships in dealing with their oil.

If you think they're not at the stage to deal with public-private partnerships why would you assume those states would be capable of fairly distributing the profits of a state-owned industry?

Here's a paper on it: http://www.policy.hu/karimli/PaulinLuone_CombatingResourceCurse.pdf
The thing suggested in the paper sounds a lot like post-USSR Russia aka shifting from public corruption to private corruption (production leakage) were Russia is literally worse off. Big price to pay for setting up institutions that might end up shaky anyway. At least it is advised to sell to domestic investors which is one thing I can agree with.

With a strong planned restructure of the economy (akin to classic fascism) public-private partnership might help or maybe with coops/local companies. Since the short term goal is not cashing out profits, it's thought out reinvestment. You have to go through the mud one way or another, better to do it the quickest and most intensive way while keeping the results owned by your own country.

Have you ever heard something about the world-systems theory and the negative peace?It's not in the interest of France to change the status quo.

I have not. I will have learn more about. Thank you for giving me a starting point.

France should be blamed for their current actions which are preserving the statu quo.

Most of the former french colonies aren't independent, they don't even produce their own currency, France does. That's without taking into account the countless acts of meddling in political situations (both in front and behind the scenes) with the Gabon being the latest victim.

I didn't realize. This gives me a much better understanding of the situation. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Nairume

Banned
Colonialism didn't end with independence. Former (and existing!) imperialist nations found ways to take advantage of these countries even after nominally freeing them.

I have not. I will have learn more about. Thank you for giving me a starting point.

I didn't realize. This gives me a much better understanding of the situation. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
If you are interested, also check into the idea of neocolonialism.

SoCoRoBo

The thing suggested in the paper sounds a lot like post-USSR Russia aka shifting from public corruption to private corruption (production leakage) were Russia is literally worse off. Big price to pay for setting up institutions that might end up shaky anyway. At least it is advised to sell to domestic investors which is one thing I can agree with.

With a strong planned restructure of the economy (akin to classic fascism) public-private partnership might help or maybe with coops/local companies. Since the short term goal is not cashing out profits, it's thought out reinvestment. You have to go through the mud one way or another, better to do it the quickest and most intensive way while keeping the results owned by your own country.

Strongly disagree with the bolded. If you're a country like Norway with stable political institutions and an advanced political culture then it's probably fine for resource rents to accrue directly to the State. The resource curse hasn't affected any developed country particularly badly. Where it hits most keenly is in countries with weak institutions and a lack of commitment to the rule of law: Venezuela being a fabulous example.

In a lot of African states you have weak political institutions, a political culture that favours authoritarianism, and a comparatively uneducated population. When resource rents accrue directly to the state then they're typically used to buy votes, create jobs for the party in power, entrench the strength of the party in power etc. It's corrosive to a stable political culture.

Top Bottom