• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macron: Africa's issues are "much more sophisticated than a simple money transfer"

Eylos

Banned
Still sounds like an excuse and putting the blame on africa, when everyone knows the origin of the problem was the colonialism, practiced by France and etc, he doesnt take france blame on the subject. Its not as bad as the clip, but i dont like this.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Why do you think China imposed the one child policy on its own population for 35+ years, just out of pure love for brutal autoritarianism? There has been forced sterilization campaigns in India, India! Led by family members of Gandhi no less, but they must have been brainwashed by the IMF.

educate yourself:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/padr.12009/full

edit: another link https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4267474/
Nah you just completely missed his point. He's talking about population densities. There'a enough land and resources there to sustain it's native population for an extremely long time. There isn't some great scarcity of land and won't be for a long long time. China and India problems with population density are why you've seen the measures taken. The point being if Africa isn't anywhere close to having an overpopulation issue why are certain scholars do concerned about it.

Still sounds like an excuse and putting the blame on africa, when everyone knows the origin of the problem was the colonialism, practiced by France and etc, he doesnt take france blame on the subject. Its not as bad as the clip, but i dont like this.

It's such a complex issue and I don't think there is an one morally correct path to take a place like Africa and have it operate likeEurope did. Same goes for South America. The sad thing is both of those places should be go-to destinations of lifestyle and power and they are just catastrophes of the modern world.

Nasbin

What was the original thread title?

Macron: Africa's issues are "civilizational" and due to women having too many kids

It's kind of worrying that when confronted with this kind of blatant editorializing otherwise smart people don't immediately stop to think, wait, what did he actually say, and in what context? Our inherent credulity for damaging stories about political adversaries overrides any sense for basic fact checking. Far left twitter sees Macron as the "enemy" so of course they lapped this up. Not to seem too condescending, because I'm just as guilty of this at times reading some of the crazier stories about Trump et al. Old Media has its problems but I really loathe what New Media is doing to the arena of political discussion.

Simplet

Nah you just completely missed his point. He's talking about population densities. There'a enough land and resources there to sustain it's native population for an extremely long time. There isn't some great scarcity of land and won't be for a long long time. China and India problems with population density are why you've seen the measures taken. The point being if Africa isn't anywhere close to having an overpopulation issue why are certain scholars do concerned about it.

I didn't miss his point, malthusianism has nothing to do with this issue. Most of China is a population desert outside of the coast and some areas around Sichuan and Wuhan, all of this is completely irrelevant to the problem of development.

Fig%204d.Pop2020.jpg

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So OP took a completely decent statement, chopped some sound bytes and tried to create outrage based on that without actually understanding the context? And then ran away from his own thread? Quite and achievement.

Liha

Banned

Yes, he ignores the fact that European, American, and Chinese companies rip off African workers and steal natural resources.

StayDead

Dude Africa did really well for itself while Europe was busy crapping the bed with the black death Africa was literally throwing gold into the streets due to how amazing their spice trade was.

Wow this was an interesting read. Thanks!

But Musa's generous actions inadvertently devastated the economy of the regions through which he passed. In the cities of Cairo, Medina, and Mecca, the sudden influx of gold devalued the metal for the next decade. Prices on goods and wares greatly inflated. To rectify the gold market, on his way back from Mecca, Musa borrowed all the gold he could carry from money-lenders in Cairo, at high interest. This is the only time recorded in history that one man directly controlled the price of gold in the Mediterranean.[23]

Is kind of insane!

TeddyBoy

I have nothing wrong with what Macron actually said and I'm glad he's talking about these structural issues sub-Saharan Africa has (I know he just refers to Africa but North Africa is quite well developed and doesn't face half the issues the South does). Just giving more money to Africa isn't going to help as corruption is too high and we'll need to be more inventive with how we help those nations develop into stable and sustainable economies.

Sunster

I have nothing wrong with what Macron actually said and I'm glad he's talking about these structural issues sub-Saharan Africa has (I know he just refers to Africa but North Africa is quite well developed and doesn't face half the issues the South does). Just giving more money to Africa isn't going to help as corruption is too high and we'll need to be more inventive with how we help those nations develop into stable and sustainable economies.

completely restructuring the way the west "donates" to African countries is a start. in it's current form our charity work keeps people in poverty while sustaining them as opposed to lifting them out of it.

another thing westerners need to understand is that only Africans can fix Africa. Helping them by providing the tools for them to build businesses and participate in international trade and develop infrastructure is one thing. Setting up shop there indefinitely with 10,000 NGO's and dumping free shit from our countries there is another, and it does not help in the long run.

also I feel like most westerners have almost no knowledge of precolonial Africa, just ideas of mud huts and jungle dwellers. So for that reason I believe Henry Louis Gates Jr's, Africa's Great Civilizations a 6 hour series on Africa from the birth of humankind to the dawn of the 20th century is required viewing. http://www.pbs.org/weta/africas-great-civilizations/home/ (will only work for Americans) Don't think I'm allowed to link unofficial sources but all 6 hours are on Youtube for non Americans.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I didn't miss his point, malthusianism has nothing to do with this issue. Most of China is a population desert outside of the coast and some areas around Sichuan and Wuhan, all of this is completely irrelevant to the problem of development.

Fig%204d.Pop2020.jpg
it's still all very important. Population congregated in cities due to economic prospects as is obvious. We'rd talking about over population here. China and India too k the policies they did because of the nature where that population congregated due to their economy what was feasible long term and estimated population growth. Have you had a look at population densities, the infrastructure and the type of woes common in the most populous Africa countries?

The situation and environment is completely and utterly different.

macron needs to stop talking in paragraphs of considered viewpoints and references to policy and history

and start talking in social media headlines

catch up man

I knew entering this thread, based on the title, that I'd have to search for the actual source material to make sure what the facts are. Seeing the OP being heavily redacted already made me chuckle.

The state of today's 'news reporting', especially on the Internet, is disheartening.

Xe4

Banned
it's still all very important. Population congregated in cities due to economic prospects as is obvious. We'rd talking about over population here. China and India too k the policies they did because of the nature where that population congregated due to their economy what was feasible long term and estimated population growth. Have you had a look at population densities, the infrastructure and the type of woes common in the most populous Africa countries?

The situation and environment is completely and utterly different.
Well, Nigeria is going to be more populated than the US by 2050, to give one example. And that's a country that's only twice the size of California.

How are the infrastructure and population densities not similar, in that case?

This is its population density, BTW:
Code:
[IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0a/Population_density_map_of_Nigerian_states_-_English.png/774px-Population_density_map_of_Nigerian_states_-_English.png[/IMG]

And Nigeria is still urbanizing.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Well, Nigeria is going to be more populated than the US by 2050, to give one example. And that's a country that's only twice the size of California.

How are the infrastructure and population densities not similar, in that case?

This is its population density, BTW:
Code:
[IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0a/Population_density_map_of_Nigerian_states_-_English.png/774px-Population_density_map_of_Nigerian_states_-_English.png[/IMG]

And Nigeria is still urbanizing.
I guess we need to be specific and say not all of Africa. But some countries like Nigeria that are really populated.

Alx

Eh, sadly I'm not surprised to see Macron's position to be competely misrepresented by selective quotes, it's not the first time it happens to him and other politicians who are not "twitter compatible". Those kind of leaders have a complex vision on most issues (the whole context of the original quote was to explain that "the solution is more complex than throwing money at the problem"), but too many people lack the patience of hearing/reading the whole thing.
Of course it doesn't help when their opponents do it on purpose, and try to start a controversy by selecting specific excerpts. Not too long ago Macron was inaugurating a new train line and went into a speech about how train stations are places where all kinds of people meet, people who succeeded and others who didn't, and that it should remind us of the need of solidarity and helping each other and yada yada. Some people just kept "there are people who succeed and others who are nothing" out of it and blamed him for despising the poor, when the intent was the exact opposite.

G.ZZZ

And here i was hoping Macron went full God Emperor , instead i got only a sensible if slightly opinionable declaration FeelsBadMan

Nerazar

He's completely right.
It's rare to see a politician saying smart things these days.

Too bad that people are trying to make politicians like him sound bad by chopping up long coherent trails of thought into misleading soundbytes. Well done, OP.

I wonder how Trump would have formulated his opinion about it...

Sakura

The majority of population in the future will be found in Africa (yes, more than in China or India).'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projections_of_population_growth

And nobody is going to force abortions on African nations or anything, that doesn't mean there can't be family planning that goes on there. That and female education will reduce population growth quite a bit.

Strategies to reduce population growth in Africa by different means will be the difference between a peak population of 10 billion (current projected) and say 15 billion, which will go a long way in helping combat stuff like climate change.

I understand Africa is expected to have enormous amounts of population growth, but is this realistic?
How would such a population be sustained? Where is the food going to come from? Africa has already been suffering extremely from food scarcity/malnourishment in recent years. An additional billion plus people in 35 years seems unsustainable to me given the current situation there.

Too bad that people are trying to make politicians like him sound bad by chopping up long coherent trails of thought into misleading soundbytes. Well done, OP.

I wonder how Trump would have formulated his opinion about it...

"Look at my Africans over there!"

62.3_01GlblPopGrth.gif

Birth control in many of these countries is shunned, and it's contributing to the worst conditions on the planet.

The decade-lasting male contraception via injection that costs less than the syringe can't come soon enough.

If we're talking about population, to contrast with the lack of birth control, there is significantly higher infant mortality and significantly shorter life expectancy.

G.O.O.

There is a criticism to be made about this statement, but it's certainly not the one OP was trying to make.

https://medium.com/migration-issues/are-africas-problems-due-to-excessive-fertility-c38a958149ec

Macron was incorrect about African fertility; it is in steady decline on most of the continent, and only one country on the continent fits his description. He was also wrong to call African problems civilisationnel; the word he should have said was probably something more like institutionnel.

But seriously people if you just read the whole comment that he’s making it’s not ambiguous what he’s talking about, and it isn’t that controversial. Now, was it prudent for the Former Colonial Oppressor to step up and point out the flaws of the Formerly Colonially Oppressed? You’ll have to make your own judgment on that. But in terms of just the facts, it’s fairly clear Macron wasn’t making some kind of Huntingtonian critique of African civilization qua its African-ness, he was arguing that economic development depends upon local institutions and reliable state partners as much as on the quantity of relief dollars. And to be honest, that’s something more people probably need to understand.

danthefan

Has the OP posted on the thread since the first post?

If not, I would really like them to come back and address their dishonesty. Why did you try portray the quote in such a manner? Do you accept your shrill accusation of racism is way off the mark?

Magni

Yeah, clearly the guy who called colonialism a "crime against humanity" (and was vilified by the right for it) is the kind of guy who would ignore the damage colonialism has done to Africa.

Come on now, OP.

"civilizational" wasn't the best word to use, as others have said (structural is a smoother alternative), but intent is important here.

My intention wasn't to twist Macron's words I just honestly said what I thought he meant, my mistake for listening to twitter hot-takers too much I guess.

I still think Macron was a little out of line sympathetic and could have been more but he definitely isn't being massively racist like I thought as first.

I'm sorry I couldn't fix the thread more but I've been busy all day, again my fault, anyway should probably do my research properly before making a new thread.

My intention wasn't to twist Macron's words I just honestly said what I thought he meant, my mistake for listening to twitter hot-takers too much I guess.

I still think Macron was a little out of line sympathetic and could have been more but he definitely isn't being massively racist like I thought as first.

I'm sorry I couldn't fix the thread more but I've been busy all day, again my fault, anyway should probably do my research properly before making a new thread.

:) that's OK, at least you didn't double down. This sounds like much more of a discussion.

Maybe you can start by stopping the use of the CFA Franc as well as ending the backing of some politicians to further the exploitation of Africa by French companies.

I'm sure it'll help.

Lanf

Agreed. Macron is completely right. Plenty of the issues in Africa this day and age are simply the fault of the Africans themselves. I say this as someone who lived in SA for a while and saw the corruption of Zuma and his cronies firsthand.

Agreed. Macron is completely right. Plenty of the issues in Africa this day and age are simply the fault of the Africans themselves. I say this as someone who lived in SA for a while and saw the corruption of Zuma and his cronies firsthand.

A lot of this is a relic of colonialism, which is why it's complicated and fraught with argument.

The environmental factors are also difficult to surmount without some innovation and funding from centralised African states with strong institutions.

Then you have the pre-colonial quirks of African civilisation, which are again an environmental thing.

Xe4

Banned
I guess we need to be specific and say not all of Africa. But some countries like Nigeria that are really populated.
To be sure. Africa is a HUGE continent. The way the globe is set up expands the countries up North and South (who were the ones who created the maps OFC), while shrinking equatorial regions.

When I was in high school my teachers had me cut up real sized countries and fit them inside of Africa to give a perspective. You could fit the entirety of the US, China, and the EU and still have room left. I knew how large Africa was before that, but it was another thing to see it.

Africa is the most diverse continent in pretty much any way: genetically, linguistically, culturally, geographically (surpassed only by Eurasia), and agriculturally. We talk about overpopulation in Africa, but are referring to specific regions of Africa really.

I understand Africa is expected to have enormous amounts of population growth, but is this realistic?
How would such a population be sustained? Where is the food going to come from? Africa has already been suffering extremely from food scarcity/malnourishment in recent years. An additional billion plus people in 35 years seems unsustainable to me given the current situation there.
It's going to be a challenge, that's for sure. Adding onto what you said, climate change is going to affect Africa more than any other continent, causing aridity changes that are going to make food growth even more difficult. A lot of people are going to suffer no matter how this goes down, not that there's much particularly new about that.

As for how we deal with it? Head on, as with anything else. What we do is hope developments in family planning and female education reduce population growth as much as possible. Furthermore, developments in biotechnology and agriculture can help increase food production, and growth of food in arid areas affected by climate change. Africa has a few things going for it. As I said in an earlier post, Africa has a large amount of arable land (25% of the world's) and by far the most unused arable land (some estimates put it at 70% of the world's).

The problems in malnutrition and starvation tend to be less on the food production side and more on the food distribution. If situations like the conflict in Sudan can be reigned in, it would go a long way into ensuring a well fed populace, and a more stable region. It won't be easy, but taking on challenges like this drive innovation, and ultimately it is a problem that we'll have to face either way, and we can make it through these problems.

Mohonky

A lot of this is a relic of colonialism, which is why it's complicated and fraught with argument.

The environmental factors are also difficult to surmount without some innovation and funding from centralised African states with strong institutions.

Then you have the pre-colonial quirks of African civilisation, which are again an environmental thing.

This.

Imperialism was a massive contributor to the problems, but not every facet of the issues stems from imperialism but also systems that existed before.

Imperialism presented massive issues for many countries across the globe where for others after Imperialism seceded it was not.

To be sure. Africa is a HUGE continent. The way the globe is set up expands the countries up North and South (who were the ones who created the maps OFC), while shrinking equatorial regions.
This is linked to the specific of the Mercator projection and his endure popularity.
that was map for naval navigation and is not really useful for much other things.
(gall peters is still more shitty though)

Just had this guy: @S_Saeen (whose tweet was referenced in the first article on the OP) block me. What did I say: I said that taking that 28 second clip out of context encourages outrage.

These people want to live in a echo chamber where they aren't challenged. They're all flash and no substance.

Xe4

Banned
This is linked to the specific of the Mercator projection and his endure popularity.
that was map for naval navigation and is not really useful for much other things.
(gall peters is still more shitty though)

Well, after a Wikipedia search, it's also useful for GPS, for similar reasons, which is another reason why everyone knows it. It still totally exaggerates the North and South landmasses though.

Interesting stuff about the fuckery surrounding Gall-Peters map projection though. Geez.

Alx

Well, after a Wikipedia search, it's also useful for GPS, for similar reasons, which is another reason why everyone knows it. It still totally exaggerates the North and South landmasses though.

I'm not sure it's something to consider as a benefit anyway, intentional or not. Mercator was considered convenient because "the more important stuff is near the equator, who cares about Siberia, Greenland and Canada ?". The central parts may be less exaggerated, but it's also because they're more accurate.

Top Bottom