• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macron: Africa's issues are "much more sophisticated than a simple money transfer"

iamblades

Colonialism is not just theft. It completely destroys cultures. Of course it has an impact.

Yes, but there is a reason Asia has bounced back from colonialism and Africa hasn't. Geography matters, and Africa's geography absolutely sucks for developing a modern economy.

That's entirely untrue. Africa is a huge continent. Africa has tons of arable land, for instance.
Code:
[IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/85/Arable_land_percent_world.png/400px-Arable_land_percent_world.png[/IMG]

On top of that it is rich in oil and minerals, both of which are lucrative resources.

Different parts of Africa have been incredibly rich in the past, and could be again in the future. It just so happens they kind of got fucked from the 1700's onward by forces that were at least somewhat out of their control.

Maybe I'm missing something (can you link the article, not just the picture?) but doesn't that image show that over 60% of the entire continent is in the lowest percentile? On the other hand, Canada is also in the lowest percentile, so I suppose there's more to it than just the land. Thanks for the link regardless

Bossun

His speech was reasonable, he didn't speak historically or implied it was a bad thing to have 7 or 8 kids. He just said it was harder to make changes and that you could spend billions on the country and it wouldn't solve the problem.

In no way he implied it was the cause of anything...

He also just said there was border and democratic transition that were troublesome, he didn't spoke about colonisation once, he could very well think it's the cause of everything.

wandering

Banned
Yes, but there is a reason Asia has bounced back from colonialism and Africa hasn't. Geography matters, and Africa's geography absolutely sucks for developing a modern economy.

Uh, not entirely sure it's fair to use the Four Asian Tigers as representative of Asia and compare them to the entirety of Africa

62.3_01GlblPopGrth.gif

Birth control in many of these countries is shunned, and it's contributing to the worst conditions on the planet.

The decade-lasting male contraception via injection that costs less than the syringe can't come soon enough.

I think you need to put down your copy of the Population Bomb and pick up some real data on population growth, poverty and economic development.

border

I like how "a successful demographic transition when countries today have 7 or 8 children per woman" is willfully misinterpreted as "those women have too many children!"

iamblades

Uh, not entirely sure it's fair to use the Four Asian Tigers as representative of Asia and compare them to the entirety of Africa

Of course nothing's fair when you compare a subset to an entirety, but the point is that nations like Mali or Congo or Sudan are not likely to ever become powerful economies given their geography. South Africa is a different case, there is potential there, as one of the few African nations with a decent amount of navigable rivers, arable land and natural ports.

Mimosa97

He fucked up when he used the term " civilizational " but all he did was repeat what plenty of observers, intellectuals (african or not) have been saying for a long time. The failed states in sub-saharan africa are a legacy of colonialism so my country (France) bears a heavy responsibility in what's happening right now in Africa. That doesn't mean that we should just leave it at that and not be objective when talking about the problems Africa faces. How is Macron not in a perfect stop to talk about these subjects when France is still very active in Africa and has good relationships with plenty of African countries? Do you realize that it's our Army right now that's protecting countries like Mali, Burkina Faso, Tchad etc... from jihadists? Check Operation Barkhane in Wikipedia.

Anyway the facts are the facts. If you look at all the data, what he's saying sounds logical.

NewGame

Banned
Even Without the colonial theft, I don't think Africa would be any better off than it is today. It's entirely luck, there are no natural resources and tons of arid, unfertile land.

Dude Africa did really well for itself while Europe was busy crapping the bed with the black death Africa was literally throwing gold into the streets due to how amazing their spice trade was.

If the continent wasn't raped by everyone north it would have just been chill and grown at a more natural pace.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Taking the word "civilizational" out of context does indeed sound bad, but he followed up with "Failed states, complex democratic transitions and extremely difficult demographic transitions" which are indeed important civilizational issues no?. The link in the OP now disgusts me more than whatever Macron is trying to say.

Xe4

Banned
Maybe I'm missing something (can you link the article, not just the picture?) but doesn't that image show that over 60% of the entire continent is in the lowest percentile? On the other hand, Canada is also in the lowest percentile, so I suppose there's more to it than just the land. Thanks for the link regardless

Grr... I posted the wrong image:
merlet_c2a_cultivablelands_G2.png

http://www.agter.org/bdf/en/corpus_chemin/fiche-chemin-231.html
That's the unused arable land that Africa has compared to the world. It's only beaten by a few places: The US, Russia, Canada, Brazil, etc. And again, even the image I did post was a bit misleading. Africa has 25% of all arable land, which was the point I was trying to make.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Reading the full quote, he didn't say anything wrong or untrue. So yeah....big ol nothingburger.

wutwutwut

Taking the word "civilizational" out of context does indeed sound bad, but he followed up with "Failed states, complex democratic transitions and extremely difficult demographic transitions" which are indeed important civilizational issues no?. The link in the OP now disgusts me more than whatever Macron is trying to say.
He should have used the word "structural." But if that is his biggest sin...

Full quote is fine and he's correct if I'm understanding it right. The use of the word civilizational could just be a translation thing. It's not a real term so the meaning is an approximation. He's just saying you can't use what worked to rebuild Europe because Africa is not Europe. And you also can't just dump money and walk away. You need to work with the leaders and organizations. I don't see what the issue is.

DiscoJer

62.3_01GlblPopGrth.gif

Birth control in many of these countries is shunned, and it's contributing to the worst conditions on the planet.

The decade-lasting male contraception via injection that costs less than the syringe can't come soon enough.

I think what some people miss is that in underdeveloped economies, families are more important, and having more productive family members in the family household can be beneficial. Because while costs of things like food increase, things like housing are shared. And if they are on a farm, having more children to help means they can grow more food. Or just working more jobs.

Rather than trying to artificially reduce the population growth, which would have an adverse effect, economic development is needed which would make larger families less necessary.

And I think that is what Africa's problem is - people (businesses and governments) are less willing to invest there than in other regions.

Kin5290

62.3_01GlblPopGrth.gif

Birth rates are high in developing countries because of their comparative lack of economic development, not the other way around. When your retirement plan is to have your kids look after you in your old age, and mortality rates are so high, you kind of need to have lots of kids just to keep up economically.

Conversely, birth rates in developed countries are so low because the marginal cost of having another child is so high.

Wow. it would have been understandable if the OP if he/she was honestly fooled by the horribly clickbait soundbyte that managed to present a completely different and racist message and not his actual words, but apparently not.

keuja

OP you seem completely out of your depth to be honest. It doesn't look like you even read his speech. You accuse him of racism then prove it. Where is he being racist?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The full quote is tone deaf but not deplorable (also I don't know how much of this is translation from presumably French, or was this given in English?)
The broad idea that we a.) still owe Africa in a very material sense and b.) should stop chucking money at corrupt African governments is spot on

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Africa is the last continent to be asked to reduce its population. A land mass second only to asia, and has a smaller population than China or India. Get the fuck out of here.

I find this a sinister thought. It's white people in power basically saying " let's get rid of africans because that land needs to be used".

This is the second form of colonialism.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Birth rates are high in developing countries because of their comparative lack of economic development, not the other way around. When your retirement plan is to have your kids look after you in your old age, and mortality rates are so high, you kind of need to have lots of kids just to keep up economically.

Conversely, birth rates in developed countries are so low because the marginal cost of having another child is so high.

Wow. it would have been understandable if the OP if he/she was honestly fooled by the horribly clickbait soundbyte that managed to present a completely different and racist message and not his actual words, but apparently not.

Yup its one of the strongest correlations we've seen. Living conditions go up = birth rates go down

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
In context: perfectly reasonable. Heavily edited: pretty awful. Guess that's why you take out the context if you want something to look awful. For instance, a colleague of mine once said "Hitler was really talented." Meaning of course his paintings and not other more sinister aspects of his character.

Nasbin

That title is going to do nothing but encourage knee-jerk shitposting. Hes new to politics, and this is a pretty awful gaffe.

I'm only half way through the links, but it sounds like he is arguing for less western-centrism. Previous plans failed because it failed to take into account the unique history of that part of the world.

I might be wrong though, feel free to correct me.

It's not even a gaffe. He said this Saturday at his G20 press conference, there was no controversy. It took someone splicing together two wildly out of context statements in a highly deceptive video with an outrageous caption for it to go viral to a non-French speaking audience on Monday.

Most of the people reacting on twitter don't even know that his statement was not part of a "speech" but a response to a question asking why there's no $150 billion Marshall plan for Africa. Macron was explaining that there's a fundamental difference between Europe's massive post-war reconstruction effort and the kind of complex structural reforms that are necessary for sustainable growth in many parts of Africa. The checkered history of foreign aid to Africa is a testament to this. All he's doing is giving a basic summary of modern development economics.

A better example of a gaffe was when Macron described France's colonization of Algeria as a crime against humanity - that got him into some hot water with people on the right during the election campaign. It's quite funny when looked at next to this attempt to try and smear Macron as a racist neo-imperialist.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
His speakership was great, OP jumped the gun. It's true that throwing money at the problem isn't going to work and that a typical Marshall plan makes no sense.

Xe4

Banned
Africa is the last continent to be asked to reduce its population. A land mass second only to asia, and has a smaller population than China or India. Get the fuck out of here.

I find this a sinister thought. It's white people in power basically saying " let's get rid of africans because that land needs to be used".

The majority of population in the future will be found in Africa (yes, more than in China or India).'
By 2050, the bulk of the world's population growth will take place in Africa: of the additional 2.4 billion people projected between 2015 and 2050, 1.3 billion will be added in Africa, 0.9 billion in Asia and only 0.2 billion in the rest of the world. Africa's share of global population is projected to grow from 16% in 2015 to 25% in 2050 and 39% by 2100, while the share of Asia will fall from 60% in 2015 to 54% in 2050 and 44% in 2100.[3]:3 The strong growth of the African population will happen regardless of the rate of decrease of fertility, because of the exceptional proportion of young people already living today. For example, the UN projects that the population of Nigeria will surpass that of the United States by 2050.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projections_of_population_growth

And nobody is going to force abortions on African nations or anything, that doesn't mean there can't be family planning that goes on there. That and female education will reduce population growth quite a bit.

Strategies to reduce population growth in Africa by different means will be the difference between a peak population of 10 billion (current projected) and say 15 billion, which will go a long way in helping combat stuff like climate change.

Mimosa97

North-african countries (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia) have a birthrate between 2 and 2.5 and they are developing countries. Moreoever they are muslim countries with a pretty religious population. How come these countries have such a relatively low birthrate compared to the subsahran african countries?

Bangladesh has a birthrate of 2.18. It's a very poor country with a deeply religious population. You know how they achieved that? They gave poor women free access to the pill. It's that simple.

The economy isn't the only reason why people have so many kids. Access to contraception and sex ed play play the most important part.Just give women complete control over their bodies and you'll see the birthrates drop.

choodi

Banned
Context is key. That's why Twitter is not a good tool for political analysis

This is taken heavily out of context-
I don't believe in this reasoning, forgive me for my directness. We among the West have been discussing such Marshall plans for Africa for many years and have in fact given many such plans already. So if it was so simple it would be fixed already. The Marshall plan was a reconstruction plan, a material plan in a region that already had its equilibriums, its borders and its stability. The problems Africa face are completely different and are much different and are "civilizational." What are the problems? Failed states, complex democratic transitions and extremely difficult demographic transitions. Multiple trafficking routes that pose severe issues - drugs, human trafficking, weapons. Violent fundamentalism and islamic terrorism. All of these create major issues in a region that at the same time has some examples of excellent growth that prove the continent is a land of opportunity. So if we want a serious answer to African issues and African problems, we must develop a series of politics that are much more sophisticated that a simple Marshall plan or money transfer, which we agree with the world bank on. The matters of vital infrastructure, education, health - there are roles for financing and it is our responsibility to help on these issues. In terms of security, we must help by linking with regional African stability instruments which France is currently engaging in with the sahel nations. Development, security - and there is also a shared responsibility. Such a Mashall plan as you desire is also a plan that will be administered by African governments and regional blocs. It's by a more rigorous governance, a fight against corruption, a fight for good governance, a successful demographic transition when countries today have 7 or 8 children per woman. As of today, spending billions of dollars outright would stabilize nothing. So the transformation plan that we have to conduct together must be developed according to African interests by and with African leaders. It must be a plan that must take into account the issues I've described, using public private partnerships, and must be conducted on a regional and sometimes even national basis.

norinrad

OP definitely took the quote out of context. He was referencing borders that don't make sense, failed governments, and demographic shifts that are upheaving the social order.

Precesly what I got from reading the article. African leaders and the banks in Switzerland should be held responsible for what they do on their continent.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
The majority of population in the future will be found in Africa (yes, more than in China or India).'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projections_of_population_growth

And nobody is going to force abortions on African nations or anything, that doesn't mean there can't be family planning that goes on there. That and female education will reduce population growth quite a bit.

Strategies to reduce population growth in Africa by different means will be the difference between a peak population of 10 billion (current projected) and say 15 billion, which will go a long way in helping combat stuff like climate change.
Thanks. You've actually explained this well to me.
I guess it's more complicated.

Simplet

Why do you think China imposed the one child policy on its own population for 35+ years, just out of pure love for brutal autoritarianism? There has been forced sterilization campaigns in India, India! Led by family members of Gandhi no less, but they must have been brainwashed by the IMF.

educate yourself:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/padr.12009/full

edit: another link https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4267474/

Top Bottom