• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac-Age: Macbook just got upgraded to Core 2 Duo

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Edited for press release:
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/nov/08macbook.html

Tech:
http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

Processor and memory
1.83GHz or 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
4MB shared L2 cache running at full processor speed on MacBook with 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
2MB shared L2 cache running at full processor speed on MacBook with 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
667MHz frontside bus
667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 2GB
1GB (two 512MB SO-DIMMs) in 2.0GHz models
512MB (two 256MB SO-DIMMs) in 1.83GHz model
Storage
60GB, 80GB, or 120GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard disk drive; optional 80GB, 120GB, or 160GB 5400-rpm; or 200GB 4200-rpm drive.(1)
One of the following optical drives:
24x slot-loading Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Reads DVDs at up to 8x speed
Writes CD-R discs at up to 24x speed
Writes CD-RW discs at up to 16x speed
Reads CDs at up to 24x speed
6x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Writes DVD+R DL (double layer) discs at up to 2.4x speed
Writes DVD-R and DVD+R discs at up to 6x speed
Writes DVD-RW and DVD+RW discs at up to 4x speed
Reads DVDs at up to 8x speed
Writes CD-R discs at up to 24x speed
Writes CD-RW discs at up to 10x speed
Reads CDs at up to 24x speed

Still Intel GMA950 onboard graphics.

thatbox

Banned
Sweet! Tangentially, seems to me the MacBook will hit its sweetspot when it incorporates Santa Rosa in the first third or so of next year.

Lhadatt

yahso said:
I would like to buy it, but ... but .. i converted to Linux
It's an Intel system. It will run Linux.

Although, I can't imagine why you would want to run Linux, seeing as OSX is a *nix variant and will compile* most apps that run on Linux.

* with a bit of effort, depending on the package you want. Research things like Darwinports to see what's easily available. Chances are the packages you want are already on OSX in some form.

ckohler

Yep, the lack of 3D acceleration is a big issue anyone considering a MacBook should mull over. My brother has one and since he doesn't do any 3D gaming he's been very happy but that didn't stop him from trying to run a 3D app once. It was pretty disappointing how crappy it ran.

thatbox

Banned
ckohler said:
Yep, the lack of 3D acceleration is a big issue anyone considering a MacBook should mull over. My brother has one and since he doesn't do any 3D gaming he's been very happy but that didn't stop him from trying to run a 3D app once. It was pretty disappointing how crappy it ran.

WoW performance was reportedly acceptable, on the first-gen MacBooks, so it's not like they can't do anything. The key is just knowing what you're getting, and what you're getting is Intel GMA950.

mollipen

I want a MacBook soooo bad (like the look better than the MBP), but the one main gain I want from going to the Intel processor is to be able to play those few Windows games that come along that I want to play. With that sucky sucky Intel-integrated graphics card, though...

Scrow said:
in terms of gaming and 3d in general how do the macbook pros measure up?

Far better.

How long do you guys think it will take Apple to release a Macbook Pro with a Santa Rosa CPU and a Blu-Ray/and/or HD-DVD burner?

Santa Rosa systems must have an HDMI out standard, right?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
shidoshi said:
Far better.
just compared to the macbooks you mean?

i was thinking more in general, compared to other notebooks outside of the apple range.

mollipen

Scrow said:

i was thinking more in general, compared to other notebooks outside of the apple range.

Yeah, sorry, just compared to the MacBooks. I'm not too up on graphics cards in other laptops, so not sure how it compares.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Scrow said:

It is a high performance machine, but in the default config not as good as other laptops with the x1600 card, because Apple underclocks (underclocked?) the card for energy saving reasons. There are workarounds, though.

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2006-04-18/
http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6484737.html
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2051320,00.asp

ShowDog

Ya, gaming kinda sucks on a macbook. I tried running HL2 on mine and only got about 20fps. Framerate was about the same whether I was running it in 1280*800 or 640*480, so my initial hopes of playability were dashed.

mark rein would roll over in his grave knowing that these computers still ship with intel integrated graphics

don't worry, mark rein isn't actually dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom