• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Xenoblade Chronicles X

fart town usa

Gold Member
I too am late to the XBX party and I must say that this game is frigging awesome. Started playing it a few weeks back.

A few thoughts,

1. It's not as obtuse as some people make it out to be. I guess it would be if you have no previous experience with RPGs, but it really isn't that bad.
  2. The soul voice system is weird (NO HEALING AT WILL?!?!?) but I seem to be getting the hang of it and the game alerts you as to which art you should use (I think it does at least, ha). Point being, I can fight things like 6 levels above me and it's usually not an issue.
  3. The music is so awesome!!!!! I'm not an anime fan by any means and I was kind of dreading the music but seriously, it's great. Even the hub world music that people complain about. To me it's like, XBX is super fast paced, you're running and doing these huge low gravity leaps, etc. When I'm in New Los Angeles I'm just upgrading and doing what I can to get back outside. The music in New Los Angeles helps keep the energy up, it can get repetitive but that to me just means I'm wasting time and need to get back into the world.
It's an awesome game. FWIW, I don't have any previous experience with XC, I did play the first one on the Wii for a few hours but that was when it first released and I barely remember anything about it.

I'm like 22 hours into XBX, level 19, mostly just exploring the map and doing side missions right now. Really cool game.

Also, for anyone else who might get into it and missed out on the hype. Watch the Nintendo Treehouse videos and the 'Survival' videos on YouTube prior to playing the game. While waiting for an external HDD to arrive, I watched those videos over the course of a few days and I was getting so hyped for it, lol. The wait must have been excruciating back when it was first announced.

Also, I mostly play on the gamepad. It's totally functional and playable. I seriously have little to no complaints at all with this game.

Last edited:

F31 Leopard

Best Xenoblade game. I have about 386 Hrs.
RZyd4H3.jpg
T45fgQh.jpg
NS2ZEwu.jpg
eaMpIY7.jpg

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Just a reminder that this is still a WiiU exclusive
tom cruise laughing GIF

In all seriousness, put a few hours into this over the weekend. Probably pushing close to 30 hours, maybe more?

What a truly fantastic game. It's just so absurd in so many ways, the music, the characters, the dialogue, the menu system, lol. It's really not that bad though once you realize how to upgrade stuff, etc. I refer to this at my "turbo japanese" game. I'm normally not into stuff like this but it really has captured me. Currently on Chapter 5 and there was a huge plot development at the end of the main mission, pretty cool. Can't wait till I get to pilot a Skell. I've been avoiding spoilers and whatnot but I would think I'm probably 10-15 hours away from getting it.

This game to me feels like Starship Troopers. "Hey, we're on this planet, let's just take over and kill all the local species!"

What a truly fantastic game. It's just so absurd in so many ways, the music, the characters, the dialogue, the menu system, lol. It's really not that bad though once you realize how to upgrade stuff, etc. I refer to this at my "turbo japanese" game. I'm normally not into stuff like this but it really has captured me. Currently on Chapter 5 and there was a huge plot development at the end of the main mission, pretty cool. Can't wait till I get to pilot a Skell. I've been avoiding spoilers and whatnot but I would think I'm probably 10-15 hours away from getting it.
I think chapter 5 is when you first get introduced to overdrive. It's confusing but incredibly powerful and fun once you get your head around it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I ordered a used wii u off ebay just so I could play this game. I loved XC2 and missed playing this one.

Still very early on. I picked my class or whatever it's called.

Waiting for my pro controller to arrive before I dive back in. Idk I can't stand playing long hours with that tablet controller.
Hope you like it. I only played a few hours of XC on the Wii, so I went into XBX pretty green. I feel like XBX receives a lot of flack, some warranted, some comes off like they're just butthurt cause it isn't on the Switch. I hope you enjoy it though, it reminds me a lot of when I played Phantasy Star Online on the DC and I think that plays a role in my enjoyment of it. Hopefully your experience with XC2 will help in navigating the menus, lots of stuff in there to miss out on in terms of upgrading equipment and various skills. Be sure to explore them to see what's available.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Hope you like it. I only played a few hours of XC on the Wii, so I went into XBX pretty green. I feel like XBX receives a lot of flack, some warranted, some comes off like they're just butthurt cause it isn't on the Switch. I hope you enjoy it though, it reminds me a lot of when I played Phantasy Star Online on the DC and I think that plays a role in my enjoyment of it. Hopefully your experience with XC2 will help in navigating the menus, lots of stuff in there to miss out on in terms of upgrading equipment and various skills. Be sure to explore them to see what's available.
I played a lot of jrpgs and I like navigating menus. Adds an element to the experience. I l like leveling up and upgrading/ finding loot. I've spent 450+ hours on XC2 and countless on xc definitive. For example I looked up who drops what and equipped a blade with guaranteed drops just to get the best weapons / items. It's a dopamine release man. I think that is one of the reasons that keeps me going in these games. It's enjoyable. Hard to find that in other hobbies for me.

So I won't miss out on upgrading equipment and skills. As I have much experience with that. I'll use my laptop alot as I play to look up any questions or where to get stuff. It's extremely handy the internet.

Oh I know people will bash xcx just because it's not on switch. When I read the developers comments about not wanting to make xcx on switch because it's too expensive. I'm like, I'll guess I'll buy a wii u then. Turned out great as it came with 70 wii u games.

Dayuuum, I love this game. Here's a video of a guy explaining why it's so great, with lots of nice footage:

And here's a video on how to use overdrive effectively early on.

Overdrive is really more of an endgame thing, where you can craft powerful builds that exploit overdrive to fight uberbosses...

But with this technique you can start using overdrive effectively while you are still playing through the story.

You've gotta have Irina in your party to use this method though:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
I was hoping for something like definite edition of XC but for X
:messenger_loudly_crying: but it doesn't seem like its happening.

Sadly Monolith have already stated that the cost and effort required to port X to the Switch is too great.

I can understand it tbh - the world in X is friggin' huge and the engine that's allowing it to all run smoothly is a custom job that probably had a lot of hardware specific optimizations for the Wii U. It's still amazing how they got that game running as well as it does and looking as good as it does on that system.

Last edited:
The mistery behind Mira drew me into the game more than anything though. For anyone that doesn't know, Mira appeared in a couple Gamecube games called Baten Kaitos, which was made by Monolith Soft. Mira was a floating island that sat in the middle of the five nations that was known to shift between dimensions and not really follow the rules of time and space.
Baten Kaitos was awesome.

I wish they re-released both games as HD releases.

Jaxcellent

Sorry for bumping this, bit i need to tell you people: I'm finally playing this game (Cemu) i really dig it! Only a few hours in but its incredible, what magic did they do to make this run on a WIIU... Incredible game especially at 1080p/60.

TidusYuna

Sorry for bumping this, bit i need to tell you people: I'm finally playing this game (Cemu) i really dig it! Only a few hours in but its incredible, what magic did they do to make this run on a WIIU... Incredible game especially at 1080p/60.

I hope they release X on the switch. I've played 1 and 2 on the switch and unpopular opinion but 2 is now one of my favorite RPGs of all time. I still need to experience X and xenosaga.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Like 30 hours into the game:

“Congratulations, you have made first contact with 3 different alien species, identified the nature of the existential threat to humanity, and in your spare time you singlehandedly established New LA’s Miranium mining operation and funded the R&D departments of several arms manufacturers with the proceeds. We have decided you have now earned the right (YESSSSSS) to apply for your Skell license (uhh what?) which requires you to do a bullshit fetch quest for each of the ten factions of New LA (what? Fuck you but okay).”

[return 5 hours later]: “alright here ya go, you can have this crappy skell that is worse than fighting on foot. You will most likely total it within 5 minutes and then go bankrupt paying for the repairs. Good luck and Eat shit!!”

Jaxcellent

I hope they release X on the switch. I've played 1 and 2 on the switch and unpopular opinion but 2 is now one of my favorite RPGs of all time. I still need to experience X and xenosaga.
When they release it on Switch, I'll buy the collectors edition day one. I always liked the Xeno series, my fave being the OG Xenogears.
I like the Sci Fi and Mechs.

I read somewhere the director would love to port it to Switch, but he said it will be very expensive.. playing this game now, I can see why. Its HUGE and packed with mechanics. also the use of the WIIU second screen as a map where you need to give input sometimes.
On Cemu you can extend your screen, so for example your laptop is the WiiU controller screen and the tv is the main screen.. it works surprisingly well.

The game is a different beast, but so far i like it so much, the setting is incredible...
I'd love to use one of those skells (mechs) but there seem to be a grind ahead of me.

Zenaku

Those bunny suits take a fair amount of grinding and you need to complete the main story first IIRC. :lollipop_grinning:
Heh, on my Cemu play I hacked the game to let me both craft the special equipment without needing them to be unlocked, and the equipment level restrictions.

Was able to equip them as fashion items to my low level characters on a new save, and could even buy and equip skells right from the start. Need to get back to finish that playthrough.

Last edited:

F31 Leopard

Like 30 hours into the game:

“Congratulations, you have made first contact with 3 different alien species, identified the nature of the existential threat to humanity, and in your spare time you singlehandedly established New LA’s Miranium mining operation and funded the R&D departments of several arms manufacturers with the proceeds. We have decided you have now earned the right (YESSSSSS) to apply for your Skell license (uhh what?) which requires you to do a bullshit fetch quest for each of the ten factions of New LA (what? Fuck you but okay).”

[return 5 hours later]: “alright here ya go, you can have this crappy skell that is worse than fighting on foot. You will most likely total it within 5 minutes and then go bankrupt paying for the repairs. Good luck and Eat shit!!”

Skells are cool but I wouldn't concentrate on them too much. I only needed them for a few Super bosses due to them being unreachable by foot. I would concentrate more on ground builds because it's super fun. I wish I never used Skells for travel because it makes the world feel smaller and I didn't really get to soak up the environment compared to on foot.
You do much more damage than Skells with certain builds.

Last edited:
Not a Xeno game, but please put Baten Kaitos Origins in your list too.

Monolith should remaster and make more games like that.

TidusYuna

Not a Xeno game, but please put Baten Kaitos Origins in your list too.

Monolith should remaster and make more games like that.
A youtuber I follow mentions Baiten Kaitos. I believe a trademark was recently filed for Baten Kaitos so you may actually get your wish. I've never played it but I'm down to play anything from Monolith because they haven't let me down yet and I loved their games that I have played so far.

Top Bottom