• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Sea of Stars - A Completionist is missing!?

SCB3

Alright, so I'm back and on a bit of a gaming lull, until Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is out I have a lot of free time to dip into my backlog and this is one that has been getting some rave reviews and hype.

Now a few things before we start, my RPG gaming life really started with FF7 on the PSX so these older SNES style ones kinda fly by me aside from a couple such as Zelda and Final Fantasy of course and I am going to be playing a lot of RPG's this year to kinda make up for it (finally completing LTTP and starting on the FF games being 2 big ones, maybe some Octopath as well, then there is Xenoblade 3 and maybe X as well coming (gonna break out the Wii U for that) )

However this one has got me interested and it is "free" as part of the PS Plus collection so why not.

A few hours in and this Music alone is absolutely gorgeous, its a real stand out so far and the Combat seems very good for a turn based RPG, I like the ability to combo, gives me a real Paper Mario vibe. The Story is a slow burner so far and the animations are really impressive. I've just got past the first real boss in the Forbidden Caves easily enough

SCB3

So I sorta just didn't update this huh?

Well today I finished the game and yea its incredible a good 9/10 for me, what spoils it are a few things:
  • The Backtracking until you get the ability to fly, is awful
  • The side quests are necessary for the True Ending, which is fine, but you cant track them or figure out what they actually are
  • One of these is to collect 60 Shells, and you can only track how many you actually have on you and not handed in
  • The True ending, kinda is worse than the actual ending, which makes the whole extra steps pointless
That being said, the rest of the game is really really good and up there with Hollow Knight as being one of the best Indie games I've ever played

TidusYuna

A few hours in and this Music alone is absolutely gorgeous, its a real stand out so far

Bet the music is amazing. Yasunori Mitsuda made some of the tracks.

snoop-dogg.gif

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Glad you liked it, OP.
I wish I could say the same.
But I’ve detailed my gripes with SoS elsewhere, and I’m not gonna poop on your party by repeating myself.

poodaddy

I loved the game, and as a huge fan of The Messenger it really impressed me as a prequel. Great art, music, I will say there were a few too many puzzles in the side content. The game itself actually is gargantuan, a bit too long for it's own good, and after a while it seemed like they didn't know where to end it. Overall, I'd give the same score, 9/10, and I'd say it might be my second favorite JRPG style game of all time after Chrono Trigger.

Fbh

I enjoyed it but it was a bit underwhelming overall.
The story in particular just didn't really click with me but I did like the gameplay, visuals and music.

Also locking the true ending behind finding collectibles sucks.

SCB3

I loved the game, and as a huge fan of The Messenger it really impressed me as a prequel. Great art, music, I will say there were a few too many puzzles in the side content. The game itself actually is gargantuan, a bit too long for it's own good, and after a while it seemed like they didn't know where to end it. Overall, I'd give the same score, 9/10, and I'd say it might be my second favorite JRPG style game of all time after Chrono Trigger.
Yea there was a couple of natural stopping points and then the game just kept going, trim that down a few hours and maybe not lock the ending behind 2 collectible hunts and it’d be perfect

Shifty1897

I'm on vacation this week and like 20 hours in and it might be my 3rd favorite JRPG of all time right now. The writing and music hold it back, some minor tweaks and it could be the GOAT. I hope they do another game that builds off what they learned here.

Last edited:

TYRiAX

Having combo points carry over between battles would have really helped the combat for me... I feel like 90% of non boss battles you complete just before getting the 2nd combo point needed to do anything effective

Reactions: Fbh

Fbh

Having combo points carry over between battles would have really helped the combat for me... I feel like 90% of non boss battles you complete just before getting the 2nd combo point needed to do anything effective

Yeah I agree.
One of the main issues with the combat system is that characters only have a very limited number of skills on their own. I think the idea was to offset this with combo moves.
But most regular fights are over before you can do any of the cool combo attacks.

Top Bottom