• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Metroid Prime Trilogy

nkarafo

9291_cdac.jpeg
Opinion?

No, i don't think so. Lets see some FACTS then:

1. Super Metroid is heavy on exploration. OtherM is not. Its restricted, even more than Fusion. It just tells you where you should go and it doesn't even let you go to previous sectors until near the end of the game. Prime is similar to Super in that aspect.

2. In Super Metroid, there is backtracking and you can go anywhere your abilities let you. In OtherM you can't. Doors lock behind you in order to follow the story (locking entire maps). Its almost impossible to get lost. Adam does not let you go into the "wrong" sections either. Prime is similar to Super Metroid in that aspect.

3. Super Metroid has the same sense of Isolation and atmosphere Prime has. Other M does not. At least for the most part. In otherM, when Samus dies there is someone yelling "RESPOND!" what sense of isolation there is when someone is watching you, tells you where you can go or not and authorizes your equipment? Prime is similar to Super in that aspect.

4. Super is not a story driven game, in the sense that the whole game is structured around it. You have freedom of movement. OtherM is a story driven game, the kind of game that restricts your freedom of movement so that you won't miss the next "important" cut scene. Prime is similar to Super in that aspect.

5. In Super, you find the main upgrades as you explore by yourself. This gives a sense of reward. In OtherM you don't even have to think about it. Just follow the path and the main upgrades will come to you automatically, because authorization. Prime is similar to Super in that aspect.

These are facts, not "opinions". You still think that OtherM is closer to Super than Prime is?

Basically, Prime is just like Super Metroid, but in a first person mode and with a few new mechanics. OtherM looks more like Super, because its third person and has more similar controls, but it plays and feels like a completely different game.

I bought the trilogy just last week ($45 at gamestop with original case/artwork and booklet) and I'm having a blast. Metroid Prime is such a fantastic game. I remember getting it for Christmas 2002 and enjoying it so much, but playing it on the Wii brought back so many memories. It still holds up to this day and the improved controls on the Wii version make it even more fun.

eosos

Banned
I loved the first two, but for some reason the pointer controls never really clicked with me. I tried playing the third one and I just can't get the controls down so I put it away after about 30 minutes. Glad that you're liking it though.

Wonderful, wonderful games. Echoes is my favourite in the trilogy. I usually seem to like the "weird" entries in a series the most.

Something Corruption did that I really appreciate was how well integrated everything became. There were several unique uses of the Wii Remote that didn't feel simply "tacked on," the ship became as useful and valuable as you would expect your ship to be, the beam weapons "stack," which I felt gave a better sense of progression, etc. Even little things, like turning those four meaningless lights at the top of Samus's visor into the controller's battery life. I always wish I could retroactively apply certain things to the first two games, but they're all fantastic.

ChaosXVI

Ah, a new Metroid Prime Trilogy LTTP topic, has it been 2 weeks already? I swear this thing pops up every week or two and every time I elaborate on how I acquired the first game, explain how I've warmed up way more to Echoes over the years (best bosses, best challenge), and mention how they are some of my favorite games ever made, with Prime 1 barely inching out Echoes...

I hope more and more people play this and love it, so that when Retro's inevitable return to Metroid, whether it is in 2015 or 2035, is met with numerous gamers so that Metroid can be a profitable series instead of a "You'll get it if we're feeling generous" franchise.

Dr. Buni

Ah, a new Metroid Prime Trilogy LTTP topic, has it been 2 weeks already? I swear this thing pops up every week or two and every time I elaborate on how I acquired the first game, explain how I've warmed up way more to Echoes over the years (best bosses, best challenge), and mention how they are some of my favorite games ever made, with Prime 1 barely inching out Echoes...

I hope more and more people play this and love it, so that when Retro's inevitable return to Metroid, whether it is in 2015 or 2035, is met with numerous gamers so that Metroid can be a profitable series instead of a "You'll get it if we're feeling generous" franchise.
It certainly isn't 2015, unless they lied about not being working with Metroid or Expand Dong.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Fantastic games, glad you're enjoying them. The first Metroid Prime is probably my favorite Metroid game and one of the best games I've ever played. Kind of makes me want to replay...maybe during a lull next year.

MouldyK

Okay, you guys have convinced me to go in blind into this game.

Will try to scan everything, but if I fail, then I will try to live with it lol.

Unless my Collectible Need kills me first...

Expect my LTTP in about 1 month to give you guys a reunion!

Shun

I'm actually considering selling my copy for $75, not sure yet.

I have a mint condition Steelbook, no scratches CIB if anyone is sort of interested since most of the copies used are reprints.

III-V

Yes, the music is the most amazing. I can recall the tunes just thinking about it. The world imparts a feeling of loneliness. lore is good, bosses are good.

Truly a masterpiece.

PKrockin

I'm going to give Prime 1 another shot now that I have Nintendont. Failing that I'll try Corruption since it's more action-oriented like Fusion (which I enjoyed more than Super honestly). This series has always seemed right up my alley but I've never been able to get into it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I'm going to give Prime 1 another shot now that I have Nintendont. Failing that I'll try Corruption since it's more action-oriented like Fusion (which I enjoyed more than Super honestly). This series has always seemed right up my alley but I've never been able to get into it.

I tried Prime 1 on Nintendont and promptly bought the Trilogy. It's stretched oddly and the controls are bizarre.

Prime 1 is an amazing game. Though personally I feel the last quarter or so feels a little too back-tracky when the natural path and exploration seems to give way to lots of unlocking that one single area/door you couldn't access originally, at least in my opinion.

I'm not as huge a fan of Echoes. I really liked how it acts as a natural continuation of the original by pretty much only having brand new equipment. But I found the boss fights a bit too tedious sometimes.

One of the biggest mistake I've ever made was not buying MP: Trilogy when I had the chance. Absolutely loved MP:3 with the Wii controls.

Second was Xenoblade :(

Having to sell my limited edition steelbook while I was in college is something I regret greatly. Although I did get a regular edition for $35 a few months back so I can't complain too much.

I replay the prime series at least once a year. Amazing games OP glad you finally got around to playing them.

-Horizon-

One of the biggest mistake I've ever made was not buying MP: Trilogy when I had the chance. Absolutely loved MP:3 with the Wii controls.

Second was Xenoblade :(

I'm still surprised that not many people got it when it first came out. It was probably out a few months when I got it and at the time, I was only planning to get Twilight Princess since I just got a Wii but I saw "3 games in 1 for $50 and this cool metal case?! That's an awesome deal!". Had no clue what I was getting into but I was glad I took the jump.

With Xenoblade, I already told myself I would support Operation Rainfall and I did.
You better support X when it releases!

PKrockin

I tried Prime 1 on Nintendont and promptly bought the Trilogy. It's stretched oddly and the controls are bizarre.
Did you try forcing widescreen? I heard an update recently fixed forcing widescreen for a lot of games. I'm not the type of person to drop games because the controls aren't what I'm used to so it's fine. It controlled well when I first tried it in the mid 2000s anyway.

I'm still surprised that not many people got it when it first came out. It was probably out a few months when I got it and at the time, I was only planning to get Twilight Princess since I just got a Wii but I saw "3 games in 1 for $50 and this cool metal case?! That's an awesome deal!". Had no clue what I was getting into but I was glad I took the jump.

With Xenoblade, I already told myself I would support Operation Rainfall and I did.
You better support X when it releases!

I didnt think either would be so limited. I was like "Getting this soon" for a few months until bam, out of stock everywhere and marked up to death on Amazon/eBay. Sigh.

I'm really looking forward to X and the re-release of Xenoblade on the New3DS. Wish it was an HD release on the Wii U though :/

-Horizon-

I didnt think either would be so limited. I was like "Getting this soon" for a few months until bam, out of stock everywhere and marked up to death on Amazon/eBay. Sigh.

I'm really looking forward to X and the re-release of Xenoblade on the New3DS. Wish it was an HD release on the Wii U though :/

Have you tried looking for the cheaper trilogy at GameStop?

And yeah, I thought for sure they would remake Xenoblade for Wii U before X's release. Guess I was wrong there :/

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Trilogy is an absolutely amazing game. It's the definitive version of MP1 + 2 (despite some graphical issues with the ice beam) and it has MP3 as a bonus.

That said, someone convince me to finish MP2... I left it hanging at the fish boss, and can't get myself motivated to get back to it. MP2 is a really good game, but it feels considerably different from MP1 and MP3, both of which share a similar atmosphere.

Spux666

Banned
Opinion?

No, i don't think so. Lets see some FACTS then:

1. Super Metroid is heavy on exploration. OtherM is not. Its restricted, even more than Fusion. It just tells you where you should go and it doesn't even let you go to previous sectors until near the end of the game. Prime is similar to Super in that aspect.

2. In Super Metroid, there is backtracking and you can go anywhere your abilities let you. In OtherM you can't. Doors lock behind you in order to follow the story (locking entire maps). Its almost impossible to get lost. Adam does not let you go into the "wrong" sections either. Prime is similar to Super Metroid in that aspect.

3. Super Metroid has the same sense of Isolation and atmosphere Prime has. Other M does not. At least for the most part. In otherM, when Samus dies there is someone yelling "RESPOND!" what sense of isolation there is when someone is watching you, tells you where you can go or not and authorizes your equipment? Prime is similar to Super in that aspect.

4. Super is not a story driven game, in the sense that the whole game is structured around it. You have freedom of movement. OtherM is a story driven game, the kind of game that restricts your freedom of movement so that you won't miss the next "important" cut scene. Prime is similar to Super in that aspect.

5. In Super, you find the main upgrades as you explore by yourself. This gives a sense of reward. In OtherM you don't even have to think about it. Just follow the path and the main upgrades will come to you automatically, because authorization. Prime is similar to Super in that aspect.

These are facts, not "opinions". You still think that OtherM is closer to Super than Prime is?

Basically, Prime is just like Super Metroid, but in a first person mode and with a few new mechanics. OtherM looks more like Super, because its third person and has more similar controls, but it plays and feels like a completely different game.

Still an opinion. Wrong. Done. Leaving.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
ohhh shit just saw my first metroid.

i love how little upgrades are tucked away behind little monkey ball puzzles.

Azure J

Trilogy is an absolutely amazing game. It's the definitive version of MP1 + 2 (despite some graphical issues with the ice beam) and it has MP3 as a bonus.

That said, someone convince me to finish MP2... I left it hanging at the fish boss, and can't get myself motivated to get back to it. MP2 is a really good game, but it feels considerably different from MP1 and MP3, both of which share a similar atmosphere.

BRUH

You literally left it at the precise moment that most of its universally agreed upon high points begin.

ohhh shit just saw my first metroid.

i love how little upgrades are tucked away behind little monkey ball puzzles.

You are DEFINITELY going to love Echoes. Confirmed now. :lol

Have you tried looking for the cheaper trilogy at GameStop?

And yeah, I thought for sure they would remake Xenoblade for Wii U before X's release. Guess I was wrong there :/

Yep! Sold out everywhere.

Saw it for 29.99 on Best Buy online, got super excited then instantly deflated when it wasnt available in any store near me or online. Feels bad man :(

Laconic

Banned
It is a game or three, I grant you that.

But I lost interest in the first one about halfway through the fire zone, put it down, and never went back.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

It wasn't that limited, Trilogy sat around on shelves for months (over a year I think) and was even put on clearance for $20 or less at some places like Best Buy.

Crayolan

The boss of Sanctuary Fortress is by far the best in the game.

Spux666

Banned
9291_cdac0nucm.jpeg

I wonder if there will ever be a way to convey just how pointless using this image as a response is in 90% of cases. I doubt it. I can't even think of words to describe that depth of utter pointlessness myself.

Nice try boy, i love your "arguments".

You both need to have a pill and calm down. In my opinion Other M is closer to super Metroid. Any counter points you bring up are now irrelevant. I have no "arguments" because there is no discussion. Case closed.

Siegmeyer

I had a GC back in the day and loved the shit out of Prime. Never owned a Wii though, so when I picked up a Wii U last year, the first game I picked up was the Prime Trilogy (it was £50 new on amazon iirc).

It was even better than I remembered, and the pointer controls were sublime too. One of the most atmospheric games I've ever played.

finley83

Banned
Never finished MP1 on GC, I loved the game but the controls felt weird. I think it was the low FOV combined with the fact you couldn't freelook and move at the same time.

By contrast I absolutely love the Wii version, everything just feels way more natural. Forcing myself to have a break before I start the second one as I don't want to burn out part way through.

Vitacat

Just bought a nice clean complete copy for $45. Will be playing on WiiU.

Is it recommended to play them in order?

nkarafo

It's called an opinion. Everyone has one and yours is not absolute.
Are you saying that these arguments i gave aren't facts?

Please read again and tell me which one of the 5 points i made is wrong:

Remember, our argument here isn't if OtherM is a good game or not, the argument is whether its closer to Super than Prime is.

Spux666

Banned
Are you saying that these arguments i gave aren't facts?

Please read again and tell me which one of the 5 points i made is wrong:

Remember, our argument here isn't if OtherM is a good game or not, the argument is whether its closer to Super than Prime is.

Which is still entirely based on my opinion of the game. So quit being an asshole.

Top Bottom