• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Metroid Prime Trilogy

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
metroid-prime-hunters-banner510173.jpg

Been using my WiiU to play (and love) all the Nintendo classics that I missed over the years. I’ve always been a huge fan of N’s handhelds, so my fondest memories of Metroid was Fusion.

This year I decided to rectify that, so I bought & played through most of Super Metroid. It was a really rad game, but I’m not fond of felt a feeling aimless so I put it down after getting lost for some time. It may be blasphemy, but I loved Fusion’s linearity and the overwhelming threat of SA-X. I'm also a huge fan of the strong, non-sexualized female lead. Gaming needs wayyyyy more of these.

Despite my reservations about playing a first-person game (my least favorite gaming perspective) and an exploration-heavy game, I decided to give the Prime Trilogy a shot and WOAH. I am absolutely loving this:

The controls: At first I was a little wary of using the pointer as the reticule in an FPS. After messing with the control options a bit, I really found a sweet spot between free-aim and lock-on and now I fuckin love it. The reticule control and the HUD really adds another level of immersion.

The combat: Solid & tight. I’m a little bit of a loose (arm) cannon but lock-on helps immensely. The boss fights are really where the combat shines.

The platforming: Love it! I’ve just unlocked the double jump now and immediately everything has become so much more satisfying. After using the grapple hook once during the intro, I can’t wait to get that upgrade.

The world: I can’t remember the last time I felt willing to immerse myself in a game-world. It’s a testament to the quality of the game that I will enter each room and slowly take it all in, exploring and scanning things to learn more about what happened. I hope the story pays off, because I am invested in the Chozo, the mysterious Phazon substance, the Space Pirates and learning just what happened to this planet… **please, please, please avoid spoilers for the series**

The music: Brilliant. Perfect. When I hit the Chozo Ruins and that space-y, ethereal music kicked in I was totally on board. Working my way through Phendrena Drifts now and it’s like the best wintery music/level I played in a minute.

The hint system: OK, this is where it all comes together for me. This is really a huge part of the reason I love this game so much. I find it empowering to be able to lose myself in the world, exploring and unlocking things knowing that I’ll never feel frustrated because the next objective will eventually pop up. Shit is brilliant and finds that perfect balance between a dumb arrow that points you directly to your next objective and an aimless world that forces the player to waste his or her time.

TLDR: THIS GAME ROCKS HOLY SHIT

**please, please, please avoid spoilers for the series**

Glad to hear you are loving the superior console aiming setup. Wiimote+/Nunchuck really needs to be standard on damn near everything.

Raptomex

Metroid Prime is easily one of the most atmospheric games I have ever played. The sequels are good but can't touch the original in terms of getting me immersed.

JP

One of my favourites on the Wii and really sorry I got rid of this when the Wii went. When I got a Wii U I searched online to buy it again and was amazed to see that collection was going for £200 to £300 for used copies. Crazy, did it only get a limited UK release?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Welcome to three of the best games ever made. 1 is a fantastically pure experience on its own. 2 isn't quite as fresh but is, if anything, better. 3 seems to get forgotten sometimes, but its not bad, in fact its pretty great, it just isn't as exceptional as the first 2

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Amazing games. I still kind of prefer the clunky tank controls to the Wii remote, but it doesn't really matter.

Enjoy it OP, especially the first game, it's such an incredible, complete package. I think the second game edges it out, but it doesn't match the general cohesiveness of Prime 1.

Soul Lab

I really loved the first one. A masterpiece. But I didn't like Echoes, only played half through. That's why I'v never palyed Corruption.
I konw most people want a new metroid from Retro. I'm hoping for something else, though

nkarafo

Ah, Metroid Prime... an AAA game that doesn't cater to the lowest common denominator. I miss those games.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
"Immersion" is the key word in this, I believe. These games suck you in and put you in an unknown world, letting you discover everything on your own. The art direction is incredible, with great looking places and areas that feel organic.

It can be confusing at times, and I felt forced to use a walkthrough at times in MP1 and 2, but that's because I always get easily lost. I also could never beat the final boss in MP2, but I still really like the game.

All 3 games are excellent, each in its own way. MP1 is probably the best when it comes to exploration and world design, MP2 is king in atmosphere, and MP3 was my favorite due to being less confusing (and more lineal, which some may see as a negative, but it still leaves room for discovery) and more action-oriented. And each entry in the (Wii) trilogy is packed with memorable bosses and nice pointer controls, not to mention the huge amount of optional lore you can find through the games' worlds. You did yourself a favor by deciding to experience these titles.

KevinG

I would buy the heck out of an HD remaster of these games. Only played the first of the trilogy, and missed out on Echoes and Corruption.

jon bones

oh man, you're all making me want to go home and continue playing this.

Make sure you avoid OtherM. You don't want the series to leave you with a bad taste in your mouth.

so i've heard. i have no desire to play or acknowledge other m.

"Immersion" is the key word in this, I believe. These games suck you in and put you in an unknown world, letting you discover everything on your own. The art direction is incredible, with great looking places and areas that feel organic.

It can be confusing at times, and I felt forced to use a walkthrough at times in MP1 and 2, but that's because I always get easily lost. I also could never beat the final boss in MP2, but I still really like the game.

All 3 games are excellent, each in its own way. MP1 is probably the best when it comes to exploration and world design, MP2 is king in atmosphere, and MP3 was my favorite due to being less confusing (and more lineal, which some may see as a negative, but it still leaves room for discovery) and more action-oriented. And each entry in the (Wii) trilogy is packed with memorable bosses and nice pointer controls, not to mention the huge amount of optional lore you can find through the games' worlds. You did yourself a favor by deciding to experience these titles.

linear gaming is the best, b

BratmanDu

GameStop is selling their straight-to-used copies of the trilogy for $60 or less.

They closed all the Gamestops here (N Ireland). Had to pick it up for 55 pounds on ebay, sounds like I got a good a good deal, it's in good condition too with manual and artbook.

Can't wait to play through it but I want to wait till I have some time off to experience it fully. Only ever played the first one on GC.

JaseMath

Every time I read a Metroid Prime RTTP, I get the urge to play it again. Such an amazing experience. Enjoy, OP!

Septimus

Hopefully the next Prime game (assuming there is one for Wii U) has Wiimote as an option. Do not want to play on the gamepad at allll. Or even with the Pro controller.

nkarafo

I disagree about the "linear is better" comments though. Metroid was always about exploration and finding your way using your wit. Getting lost was a big part of it's atmosphere. Finding the correct path after you were stuck for a while was such a rewarding experience. Because you did it on your own.

Sure, it wasn't a series for everyone. But that's why i liked it so much.

Other M is mainly bad for the terrible story and lack of Metroid-ness. On its own its okay though (although hunt the pixel will bug the shit out of you).

I feel like Prime is a series that would lend itself well to the Gamepad, Iunno. Scanning for one, some puzzles another.

jon bones

I disagree about the "linear is better" comments though. Metroid was always about exploration and finding your way using your wit. Getting lost was a big part of it's atmosphere. Finding the correct path after you were stuck for a while was such a rewarding experience. Because you did it on your own.

Sure, it wasn't a series for everyone. But that's why i liked it so much.

which is why i love the hint system so much. it really feels like the best of both worlds in terms of encouraging exploration while preventing frustration.

tesla246

I really loved the first one. A masterpiece. But I didn't like Echoes, only played half through. That's why I'v never palyed Corruption.
I konw most people want a new metroid from Retro. I'm hoping for something else, though

I recommend trying again: Echoes is a little harder to get into, but when you do it is imo even more rewarding than prime 1. Once you really start to appreciate its design choices and original level design and dark world, it is imo, overall, the more deeper and satisfying experience. Prime 1 is overall the better game, as being so impact full and doing everything right in the 2D>3D transistion, and simply being first. However, I slightly prefer prefer Prime 2, because of its difficulty and original level design. Prime 2 needs some time to ''click'' though, as it starts out a bit slow.

nkarafo

I recommend trying again: Echoes is a little harder to get into, but when you do it is imo even more rewarding than prime 1. Once you really start to appreciate its design choices and original level design and dark world, it is imo, overall, the more deeper and satisfying experience. Prime 1 is overall the better game, as being so impact full and doing everything right in the 2D>3D transistion, and simply being first. However, I slightly prefer prefer Prime 2, because of its difficulty and original level design. Prime 2 needs some time to ''click'' though, as it starts out a bit slow.
Also, the few later areas look awesome in this game.

tesla246

Also, the few later areas look awesome in this game.
True that my friend, true that. Another point I believe Prime 2 handles almost perfect, is the dark world. I've never ever really liked the Dark world in any game...except Prime 2. For example, Torvus Bog is so peaceful with the music, but the knowledge of there being a Dark World intertwined that you have to visit in order to progress in the game adds to the atmosphere. Torvus Bog gives of a rather peaceful atmosphere, but at the same time gives of an unsettling feeling, because of knowing you may have to enter the dark world in the next room. Prime 2's difficulty supplements these feelings greatly, and honestly enhances the game to a point where you shouldnt play on lower difficulty settings. It really adds to the experience.

In my opinion, Prime 1 is basically the best game ever made. It's just the perfect game for me. And I fucking love atmoshperic games. The feeling of loneliness I got whenever I was playing the game freaked me out.

Also, who the fuck would've thought Retro would be able to get such a tight fps feel and still make it feel like Metroid at the same time? They blew expectations right out of the water.

The game is beautiful to look at. Retro put so much damn attention to detail its disgusting. First time blasting some pirates down a corridor and watching a hint of Samus as her face reflects off the visor, was just mind blowing to me.

The music. FANTASTIC.

A well thought out story which never got in the way of gameplay but rather enhanced it. I loved getting into a new area and reading some more lore about Tallon IV as well as the various creatures inhabiting each zone. All the areas just feel so alive (or desolate).

Enjoy the series. Everyone who enjoys video games should try playing the Prime series atleast once in their life.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
True that my friend, true that. Another point I believe Prime 2 handles almost perfect, is the dark world. I've never ever really liked the Dark world in any game...except Prime 2. For example, Torvus Bog is so peaceful with the music, but the knowledge of there being a Dark World intertwined that you have to visit in order to progress in the game adds to the atmosphere. Torvus Bog gives of a rather peaceful atmosphere, but at the same time gives of an unsettling feeling, because of knowing you may have to enter the dark world in the next room. Prime 2's difficulty supplements these feelings greatly, and honestly enhances the game to a point where you shouldnt play on lower difficulty settings. It really adds to the experience.

I never get a peaceful vibe there, the enemies there are rough.

That is probably my biggest complaint about Prime 2. The enemies are bullet sponges. I think Prime 1 did the "use the right weapon and they die more quickly" thing a whole lot better. Especially since it didn't have the unnecessary ammo system.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Really wish there wasn't a shortage of this game, because there's no way I'm supporting GameStop's bullshit monopoly on it.

Spux666

Banned
Make sure you avoid OtherM. You don't want the series to leave you with a bad taste in your mouth.

Why does everyone always hate on this game. Yeah I get it, the cutscenes are terrible and the way samus acts is stupid, but the actual GAME part of the game is fucking awesome. Other M has some of the series best gameplay. I thought it transitioned the super metroid style to 3D almost perfectly.

MouldyK

Traded in my 250GB Xbox Slim for this game and I have a question:

I am a person who likes collectibles and I know this game has missable scans, but how many of them are in areas where I won't ever go to? Like, if I just have my scanner out at all times, will I be fine?

jon bones

Why does everyone always hate on this game. Yeah I get it, the cutscenes are terrible and the way samus acts is stupid, but the actual GAME part of the game is fucking awesome. Other M has some of the series best gameplay. I thought it transitioned the super metroid style to 3D almost perfectly.

this is enough for me to avoid the title

Azure J

OP, please stick it out through Echoes and soak in as much as you can from that title. Dedicate time to it. Don't just stop and pop through the game.

Afterwards, I want your opinions on it. Especially if you post them before and after playing Corruption.

Echoes is the best game ever made. Once you're done playing them on the WiiU you should try them on Dolphin. I thought they looked good when I played them on the Gamecube. Dolphin made me sad that there will (most likely) never be a HD remake of these games.

Also, Other M's gameplay is so short and stifled by questionable design choices that it's not ever going to be enough to separate it from the story.

Crayolan

Metroid Prime is one of the greatest games ever, my personal favorite is the first. I absolutely adore the idea of just being dropped into a world with nothing but a simple goal (tracking down Ridley) but zero direction of what to do or where to start. I really hope the next Metroid game will be more in the vein of Prime 1 rather than 2 or 3 (or Other M...), where it's all about the exploration, and nothing else. No unnecessary dialogue or story or nothing, just the player and a huge world to explore.

Always enjoy people's first playthrough impressions on Prime, even 12 years later. It has stood the test of time. Get ready for 60 of the greatest hours ever burned onto a disc OP.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I've been feeling like replaying the triology lately. But I want it HD remade. Gimme dat. GIMME DAT!!!

Gestault

Aside from the brilliant execution on mood, exploration and sense of progression, I think a sometimes uncommented on success of this series is well-handled boss encounters, which has been lacking from huge parts of the mainstream action genre lately.

Azure J

The only reason I don't want a Trilogy remake is because that's time that could go into an original entry on Wii U. :p

jon bones

OP, please stick it out through Echoes and soak in as much as you can from that title. Dedicate time to it. Don't just stop and pop through the game.

Afterwards, I want your opinions on it. Especially if you post them before and after playing Corruption.

I'm curious to see why it's so divisive. I'm sure some of it is because it has to follow up to an objectively wonderful title.

RE your first point - is the game slower than Prime? i'm just trying to get a handle on your advice.

i'm also interested in if it's more or less linear than MP1. too much freedom and exploration without guidance is not fun for me.

Echoes is the best game ever made. Once you're done playing them on the WiiU you should try them on Dolphin.

nah b, not tryin to play games on my macbook

Aside from the brilliant execution on mood, exploration and sense of progression, I think a sometimes uncommented on success of this series is well-handled boss encounters, which has been lacking from huge parts of the mainstream action genre lately.

each boss has been an absolute blast to figure out & beat. running around, scanning it, assessing and exploiting the weakness. so damn fun.

SerTapTap

Especially for first person shooters--the bosses are often the worst parts of my favorite FPSes, with Borderlands (partially--Warrior and Bnk3r are great, Destroyer and many others are not) being an exception. The dodging mechanics of prime really make for more interesting fights, even though the controls otherwise feel stiff compared to other shooters. I'd love an attempt at a more free movement while keeping the ability to dodge.

Top Bottom