• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Harry Potter 5-7

Status
Not open for further replies.

NateDog

As a kid I had a bit of a weird time with Harry Potter. I was engrossed with the movies and it even pushed me to get into reading for a while, however for some reason I just picked up Goblet of Fire and feel like at some other, later stage I read Philosopher's Stone too. When it got to the time of the theatrical version of Goblet of Fire though, I sort of fell away from the series and didn't feel like coming back to it (maybe part of being an awkward and weird teenager).

Fast forward to now and I had a slight interest in Fantastic Beasts (although only really because of one trailer and I like Eddie Redmayne) but may have passed it over as I hadn't been into Potter for a while. I ended up spending the weekend at my girlfriend's house and for some random reason her and her brother said they wanted to watch Harry Potter.

I wanted to start with 5 since I hadn't seen it and they wanted to watch later ones but we decided on 6 as we didn't think we had enough time to catch 5-7/7.5. I did enjoy it but at the same time I felt like the majority of it was more of a set up to the finale rather than being something in its own right, and I was asking questions throughout to get caught up (mainly about 5) so perhaps more of that was on me. One of the things I disliked about these later movies was a lot of the directional choices, especially some of the really awkward camera angles and lenses in places (Harry chasing Death Eaters in the cornfields, for example) and the way a lot of scenes were cut as it felt like I was watching more of an action flick in places, but I can't remember if the older movies were the same and don't know if this is still pretty true to the books so I don't know if I ought to judge.

Eventually we decided to go back to 5 which confused me even more but I did probably enjoy this one a little more as it felt a bit more cohesive. I was surprised Ron/Hermione and Harry/Ginny was set out so early, I thought when Deathly Hallows came out people said these romances were only set up from then so I'm glad it was from earlier in a way. I did think Ron seemed to distance himself from Harry a bit from 5 onwards and found it odd how at various times they'd embrace when they hadn't seen each other for a while and others they'd barely even look at each other (was that in the books?), although maybe that was partly to do with Hermione and him feeling insignificant compared to Harry or even feeling like Harry should be with her.

Anywho, we made on towards 7 Part One. My girlfriend and her brother both were telling me it was quite boring as it's mostly just Harry and co. searching for horcruxes and I did think it stalled a bit in places, but at the same time I also enjoyed the slower scenes which allowed you to see how far all 3 had come together (or just Harry and Hermione if talking about when Ron left and they were in the tent together). I did find the horcrux thing confusing especially when they seemed to say they were further along with destroying them and then seemed to take a step back and say they had more to get afterwards. I thought it ended OK though as a set up towards the ending.

As for DH Part 2, I have mixed feelings. I thought in general 5-7 did deaths really poorly and seemed to rush past those scenes at times, and Part 2 was no different especially at the very end. A few parts of it felt rushed in general and the addition of things like the iron soldiers defending Hogwarts or the orc-like creatures with the Death Eaters / Voldemort, while a small addition, made me feel like some of these were just added in late to give an image of larger scale (I think I read that Rowling seemed a little unsure at times just how many wizards there were about). I won't go into the epilogue (although I have been rereading that thread about it which was made a few months ago - here: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1246197 ).

I guess perhaps my main issue with these movies is that I am looking at them without the attachment I used to have and nostalgia tells me 1-4 were different. I think I need to watch the series again and for once without bouncing back and forth through it instead of on a linear path like I should. I'm not hating on 5-7 at all by the way, I guess mostly my negative thoughts are what are coming clearest to me now, but honestly it was nice for me to see how it ended. Now I think I'll get a better view of this series by watching the whole lot and also I might give the books a go too since my girlfriend has all of those that I don't. It does feel weird finishing up with something I felt quite attached to as a child / young teen which I just ignored for what must be 7-10 years and I think the fact that I can think more about what I disliked than what I liked might be because I'm sad that I didn't follow along with and finish the series with everyone else like I should have.

Dio

Banned
The later movies ARE different, it's not just your imagination, and it's not just nostalgia either.

David Yates directed the fifth movie all the way to the last movie, Chris Columbus did 1 and 2, Alfonso Cuarón did 3, and Mike Newell did 4.
People do often talk about what Yates did with the later movies being unsatisfactory.

You mention that you remember the old movies being different - you're right. I caught DH on TV while at work the other day so they're fresh in my mind.
Sure, the earlier movies were cheesy as all fuck, but there's no denying that Yate's style really changed things from how it was before.

EDIT: Note: this is why people are wary of Yates directing that new Fantastic Beasts movie and how it'll just be siphoning into the 'CINEMATIC UNIVERSE' by connecting to Grindelwald.

why would your first experience with the series be the movies where they try to cram in too much stuff into too little time, causing a rushed mess?

read the books, start with the first one and read them through in order

Fat4all

Banned
I feel like movie 3 is where the major shift started to happen. Movie 4 was just bad, but movie 5 is when it picked up again.

Squishy3

The only thing I'd say I actually disliked about the last movie is the awful aged up ending scene. I mean I know it's in the book but boy do Daniel Radcliffe Rupert Grint and Emma Watson not work as young parents.

I feel like movie 3 is where the major shift started to happen. Movie 4 was just bad, but movie 5 is when it picked up again.

Maybe I'm TOO much of a book purist but I felt like 3 started the trend of leaving out critical parts of the novels and by movie 7 they were only loosely connected anymore.

Fat4all

Banned
Maybe I'm TOO much of a book purist but I felt like 3 started the trend of leaving out critical parts of the novels and by movie 7 they were only loosely connected anymore.

I feel like 3 is where the movies gained their own identities as a benefit to the HP films over time.

duckroll

I liked 5. David Yates brought something interesting to that particular story when he adapted it. After that I felt he overstayed his welcome and it was just garbage. I've come to realize I don't actually like his take on Harry Potter at all, I just liked that it felt different at first since I wasn't a big fan of book 5 in the form it was written.

Sheroking

The later movies ARE different, it's not just your imagination, and it's not just nostalgia either.

David Yates directed the fifth movie all the way to the last movie, Chris Columbus did 1 and 2, Alfonso Cuarón did 3, and Mike Newell did 4.
People do often talk about what Yates did with the later movies being unsatisfactory.

I mean, in fairness to Yates, the books themselves hit a pretty radical tone shift starting from the Goblet of Fire climax. The last four books are CONSIDERABLY longer than the first three and while much of those books dealt with whimsy and adventure and only touched on scarier ideas, lore and concept. The were much easier to adapt.

Dio

Banned
I mean, in fairness to Yates, the books themselves hit a pretty radical tone shift starting from the Goblet of Fire climax. The last four books are CONSIDERABLY longer than the first three and while much of those books dealt with whimsy and adventure and only touched on scarier ideas, lore and concept. The were much easier to adapt.

I don't disagree with you. I'm more talking about the directorial decisions outside those reasons you mentioned, that the OP mentioned - camera angles, scene changes, characterization and the addition of certain scenes.

Ashhong

I've watched the whole series a few times over and I don't quite get what people talk about when they mention what Yates did to the franchise. I get the difference in directing style and such, but how does he change Harry?

MGrant

Book 7 did rush the deaths unceremoniously as well, though. I feel that Book 7 as a whole was kind of mess, actually.

duckroll

My issue with Yates is that I think the take is fucking boring. If I were to try and describe it, it would be that there's a gloomy tone but without any interesting style to it, so instead of being interestingly gloomy it feels boring and dead. This fit pretty well with the tonal shift in the 5th film. Or at least it was interesting to see it contrasted with the previous ones, as a turning point. But I felt after that, the books found their footing in the new tone pretty quickly and I enjoyed them more, while the films just... continued on a flat trajectory in terms of presentation.

hamchan

The last movie fucked up the last fight between Harry and Voldemort so badly, it does make me upset.

The book version is much more epic and that was just Harry and Voldy casting one spell at each other instead of an extended action scene like in the movie. Less is more.

GamerJM

Banned
5 is alright but the pacing feels kinda bad, the movie just felt too long to me. 6 is mostly filler but it's really fucking good filler, with some of the best character interactions in the series. 7 is a pretty great ending to the series as a whole but I'm still not sure I dug the part 1/2 thing they did, 1 mostly felt like a sort of boring leadup and 2 felt like it was nothing but climax.

Yates certainly has his own style that's different from the rest of the series. At its best I like it almost as much as PoA, but at its worst it's the worst thing in the series IMO.

Frodo

There isn't a single film I enjoy in the Harry Potter series. The 7th one comes closest, but still... My favourite thing on the books are the characters, and they (understandably so) rush everything so much on the films that you don't actually create that connection with the characters you are supposed to care about.

And, as much as a lot of the times they nail the designs and the feeling, it can also feel very bland and forgettable at others.

Ashhong

My issue with Yates is that I think the take is fucking boring. If I were to try and describe it, it would be that there's a gloomy tone but without any interesting style to it, so instead of being interestingly gloomy it feels boring and dead. This fit pretty well with the tonal shift in the 5th film. Or at least it was interesting to see it contrasted with the previous ones, as a turning point. But I felt after that, the books found their footing in the new tone pretty quickly and I enjoyed them more, while the films just... continued on a flat trajectory in terms of presentation.

Maybe I need to reread the book 7 and then watch the movie directly after. I don't remember any jarring differences in tone, although the movie is super gloomy.

And yea, the long extended single spell fights get old

Dio

Banned
There isn't a single film I enjoy in the Harry Potter series. The 7th one comes closest, but still... My favourite thing on the books are the characters, and they (understandably so) rush everything so much on the films that you don't actually create that connection with the characters you are supposed to care about.

And, as much as a lot of the times they nail the designs and the feeling, it can also feel very bland and forgettable at others.

I agree with the sentiment of this post, actually. I don't love or particularly enjoy any of the movie forms of the books. I can appreciate some of the things they did, and they weren't awful for the most part, but I've never once thought 'this is better than the book.' In fact, most of the time I just get reminded of all the ways they're different.

It's not like I'm a book snob for everything - there are several movies that are far better than their book source material that I like. Just not these.

The HP films are basically the equivalent of those rushed anime adaptations meant to be advertisements to sell the manga, but for the books, to me.

duckroll

Maybe I need to reread the book 7 and then watch the movie directly after. I don't remember any jarring differences in tone, although the movie is super gloomy.

And yea, the long extended single spell fights get old

Being gloomy itself is not the problem, but I think for a visual medium, if you're going for gloomy and you're adapting a fantasy story for kids, you need to inject something more to it. Otherwise film after film of that just gets old. My problem is not that it's gloomy, it's that it's boring.

Coxy100

Banned
The only thing I'd say I actually disliked about the last movie is the awful aged up ending scene. I mean I know it's in the book but boy do Daniel Radcliffe Rupert Grint and Emma Watson not work as young parents.

This. The scene is just awful. They look ridiculous.

Ashhong

Being gloomy itself is not the problem, but I think for a visual medium, if you're going for gloomy and you're adapting a fantasy story for kids, you need to inject something more to it. Otherwise film after film of that just gets old. My problem is not that it's gloomy, it's that it's boring.

Tomato tomahto!

Great movies. Last two Hallows were phenomenal. Goblet is the only one I really have some problems with but even that has a lot of great stuff.

silva1991

I finally finished the movies month ago. Third movie is the king still, 4 is decent and everything went downhill after it.

I never read the books, but everything after the 4th movie felt rushed, lacking and have some pacing issues maybe?

The final battle was boring and disappointing.

spuckthew

Movies 3 and 4 are my favourite, although 4 could have done with being 20-30 minutes longer due to how massive the book is and how the movie glossed over some stuff.

5 is ok, and I think I actually prefer 6. I like both parts of 7, but the tones are wildly different (7-1 being about the journey; 7-2 being a lot of action).

I have a soft spot for 2 because I prefer the shift in tone from 1, which feels too much like a kids film compared everything else (I guess, strictly speaking, it is though!)

(or just Harry and Hermione if talking about when Ron left and they were in the tent together).

Of all the crazy things in the book that made no sense, from time travel that nobody uses except for school work, to having a forbidden forest and then putting kids in there for detention, from Hagrid telling everybody to stick with him or risk certain death, then splitting everybody up into two groups, all the kids working hard all year and then cheering Gryffindor wins through complete arbitrary bullshit at the last moment and even the complete lack of planning from Dumbledore from the first moment he told the kids to take on evil wizards to see how it works out... this is the thing that got me.

Two young teens, alone, in a tent, for months on end facing almost certain death for themselves and everybody they care about.

And nothing happens.

Quidditch made more sense than that.

Karu

I like the fifth and the seventh.one movie. Seven.Two was okay.#

Six sucks though, big time. What a garbage movie.

jrush64

Banned
Fifth movie is the worst Harry Potter movie ever made. I hate that movie so much. Sixth was alright but not that memorable. However 7-1 and 7-2 were pretty great. I wish it wasn't Yates that directed them though.

You should read the books dude. You will no doubt enjoy as they're just so magnificent.

NateDog

why would your first experience with the series be the movies where they try to cram in too much stuff into too little time, causing a rushed mess?

read the books, start with the first one and read them through in order
It wasn't really a conscious choice. I didn't read much as a kid (the fact I read Goblet is amazing honestly) and the movies came out around a good time. I do want to read the books though.

I didn't realise Yates was directing Fantastic Beasts either, perhaps my interest may suffer a little now.

Gravidee

The only one of Yates' HP films I consider good is 5. But what peeved me about even that movie was the lack of the golden statues fight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom