• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Bloodborne

I purchased a PS4 just prior to Uncharted 4's release along with UC4 & Bloodborne. Uncharted 4 was a decent game, but largely a disappointment due to it's pacing issues and some odd design decisions. On the other hand, Bloodborne made me wonder why I hadn't bought one sooner. I'm a big Souls fan and they all have their strengths and weaknesses, but I feel like Bloodborne is peak-Miyazaki.

I adore the trick weapons. I've upgraded 3 to +10 so far and tried out several others.(Saw Cleaver, Ludwig's Holy Blade, Whirligig Saw) The Saw Cleaver is probably one of my all time favorite video game weapons. The moveset is fantastic, both forms are very useful. It has speed, but it still has decent range. The Rakuyo and HMGS also seem pretty fun to use. I'm actually okay with less weapons since most of them are pretty unique.

My favorite areas are Forbidden Woods, Research Hall, Fishing Hamlet and Cainhurst Castle.

Forbidden Woods - The level design is really impressive and the atmosphere is so eerie. It's such a large area, but FROM made it work with only one lamp. I almost got lost in this area. The deeper you go into this area, the weirder it gets. There's even a cave with a rainbow lake that connects back to Iosefka's Clinic.

Cainhurst Castle - This area really stands out in comparison to the other ones in the base game. It looks gorgeous and although there wasn't much enemy variety, the ones that were there give it a strong sense of character. The boss and Queen Annalise are cool too

Research Hall - I could go on and on about this area, but the most important thing is the Lady Maria fight. That was definitely my favorite fight in the game. Bloodborne went full on DMC3 here, shades of Dante vs Vergil.

Fishing Hamlet - Art design was awesome including the enemies themselves. Those giant sharks dudes can fuck off though. The two in the well killed me more than any boss in the game did except Ludwig! It gets major points for having a ton of blood chunks and a blood rock!

My favorite bosses aside from Lady Maria are Orphan of Kos, Ludwig, Cleric Beast and Darkbeast Paarl. The sound design is ridiculously good. Ngl the crows in Central Yharnam creeped me out the first time I saw them even though they're weak as fuck. The soundtrack didn't blow me away, but it definitely has it's high points. A few standouts are Cleric Beast theme, First Hunter theme and the music that plays in Hypergean Gaol. (pre-Rom)

Minor nitpicks:

Framepacing is very noticeable in certain areas especially Old Yharnam and Nightmare Frontier.

Chromatic Aberration

Byrgenwerth was a misstep. I was expecting a lot more from such a big lore area. It was really tiny.

Unseen Village (post-Rom) was a gank fest. I liked it much more the first time around.

Nightmare Frontier was pretty small and didn't have anything particularly useful in it. Boss was a total pushover as well. It's good for PvP at least.

I didn't like Witches of Hemwick, Celestial Emmisary, Living Failures or Amygdala The first three are like an even easier Deacons of the Deep which I didn't think was possible. You can pretty much just ignore the adds in the first two. Living Failures fight was kind of dope visually with the meteor showers though. Amygdala was just a chump.

I didn't like Rom either because it was such a tedious fight. Maybe I would've enjoyed it more if I was using a weapon with more reach at the time though. I loved the arena at least.

Early chalice dungeons are incredibly boring. However, I've only done Depth 1&2 ones so far. I've heard that the Depth 5 ones are more engaging.

Fashion Souls is weaker here.

No teleportation from lamps or healing at lamps. We have to go through that damn loading screen.

Maybe Dark Souls 3 just prepared me for the faster pace or because I've played all of them, but I felt this was by far the easiest Souls game. No boss killed me more than twice except Ludwig.(7 times)

---

Overall, I greatly enjoyed Bloodborne and it was well worth buying a PS4 in order to play it. It's the best Souls game and my second favorite game this gen after TW3. 10/10.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I'm playin it right now, and man I suck. Dyin left and right in this mother fucker... but just like a masochist under the whip, the pain feels so good.

ezekial45

Banned
Fantastic game. I enjoyed DS3, but Bloodborne is my favorite Souls game, and I think it's the best title FrSo has made.

squidyj

Chalice Dungeons get harder, 1 and 2 are faceroll snoozefests, 3 and 4 are sort of meh.
It's really when you're doing depth 5 with all the rites that things become interesting. Most people give up on the dungeons before that though :(

http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Additional+Rites

Imagine for a moment that you are running around with half your normal health and with all enemy damage buffed up and you come across this guy. You gotta be careful or his cannon can pretty much one-shot you.

For me, it's the best Souls title. Fantastic world, bosses and amazing lore. And combat is just my favorite out of the entire series.

Yep, 10/10. One of my favorite games of all time.

but just like a masochist under the whip, the pain feels so good.
image.php

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Nightmare Frontier was pretty small and didn't have anything particularly useful in it. Boss was a total pushover as well. It's good for PvP at least.
I disagree completely with this one. Nightmare Frontier is amazing and quite dense with content, and you can get some fairly early chunks in there (from the crystal lizards) and other ore, so it's not useless.

No real disagreement otherwise. Glad you enjoy it! It's probably easier for you 'cause you're a Souls vet. Pretty much all of the story bosses are easy. But you'll see some of the later chalice dungeons have really, really difficult bosses. [Edit: oh and the DLC too]

DJ_Lae

I loved the look of the game most of all - was a bit disappointing going back to Dark Souls 3 and its relatively tame world design. Bloodborne felt more dangerous overall, even if it was just an illusion.

The CA was really bad, though. I generally don't notice it, but it's more severe in that game than any other I've played.

dralla

I'm playing through Dark Souls III right now and while I'm enjoying it, there's no denying the combat in Bloodborne feels better. I know some people don't like the removal of shields and magic which resulted in less player builds, but the flip side to that is how well designed the combat is and how each enemy is designed around not having shields/magic. It also has better creature design, some truly amazing stuff in BB. It looks better than DS3 as well.

I think Bloodborne is the easiest game in the "series" to over level your character, which is why some people find it on the easy side. I think the DLC is tough has nails, probably the most difficult chunk of any souls games to date. I was playing on NG++ though. Ludwig took me like 3 hours. Some of the late game bosses are too easy, which is probably my biggest complaint. Mergo, Amygdala, Micolesh, Moon Presence..

Celestial Emissary and Living Failures were more like sub-bosses so they're lack of difficulty didn't bother me. Both set up amazing fights afterwards.

I have been really put off by Souls-Borne games in the past due to some of the incredibly negative fans I've encountered, but I finally played and finished Bloodborne and it was great. Honestly the game isn't that hard, and if anything caused me a problem I'd just wait and work out their pattern. Hunters were the most fun to fight against and the only boss that fucked me up was Rom, most bosses were felled with 1-3 tries.

Still not a fan of the elitism surrounding the games but they are fun.

Its one of the best games I've ever played and still stands above anything else on the PS4 to date, in my opinion.

I'm dying to get back and play The Old Hunters.

Nah I agree with the OP here. It's mostly just a bunch of long coats. They look cool as hell, but there's far less variety and options.

Great pos-

Oh hell no. Despite less armor in general, fashion in BB is the best in Fashion Souls.

Yup. What's there is great, but I miss the variety.

I disagree completely with this one. Nightmare Frontier is amazing and quite dense with content, and you can get some fairly early chunks in there (from the crystal lizards) and other ore, so it's not useless.

No real disagreement otherwise. Glad you enjoy it! It's probably easier for you 'cause you're a Souls vet. Pretty much all of the story bosses are easy. But you'll see some of the later chalice dungeons have really, really difficult bosses. [Edit: oh and the DLC too]

Hmm maybe Nightmare Frontier will click on my second playthrough. It's not bad per se, but I just enjoyed it less than some of the other areas.

Persona7

Banned
The DLC and lecture building are clear remnants of byrgenwerth stitched back into the game. The one area in the game I was anticipating was a huge disappointment.

Hemwick and the Castle are really cool though. I also like the weird lair that ebrietas is in but the path there isn't very interesting. I wonder how it would have been if that boss remained in the location from the first trailer.

Murrah

Banned
Always glad to see other people who enjoyed the forest. See it get a lot of hate online but from the base game it's definitely my favorite area, and the point where the game really clicked for me. I hadn't felt genuinely lost in a game area like that since the original Zelda. And much like that game, once you actually know the area it's not actually that big or complicated. Brilliant design. Easily my game of the generation so far, and that's saying quite a lot

I adore the trick weapons. I've upgraded 3 to +10 so far and tried out several others. (Saw Cleaver, Ludwig's Holy Blade, Whirligig Saw) The Saw Cleaver is probably one of my all time favorite video game weapons. The moveset is fantastic, both forms are very useful. It has speed, but it still has decent range.

You have great taste :)

What do think about the Saw Spear? IMO it has a better moveset and more range (the transformation attack is crazy, such a long reach). My favourite weapon in the game by far.

Early chalice dungeons are incredibly boring. However, I've only done Depth 1&2 ones so far. I've heard that the Depth 5 ones are more engaging.

I think the Chalices are awesome, but looking at the general opinion I'm in the minority. They have some amazing enemies and bosses, that you can't find anywhere else in the game.

I still play regularly, always random depth 5 dungeons with all the offerings. It's so much fun.

Always glad to see other people who enjoyed the forest. See it get a lot of hate online but from the base game it's definitely my favorite area, and the point where the game really clicked for me. I hadn't felt genuinely lost in a game area like that since the original Zelda. And much like that game, once you actually know the area it's not actually that big or complicated. Brilliant design. Easily my game of the generation so far, and that's saying quite a lot

I'm surprised to hear that it gets hate. It was the clear standout in the base game for me. Byrgenwerth was destined to be a disappointment after a level like that.

You got two of the best PS4 exclusives right now, but Bloodborne is worth it more.

I rarely replay games, but Bloodborne has been an occasion, a game that is both challenging and fun.

Noobcraft

Bloodborne was my first dive into a Fromsoft game (I dabbled with Dark Souls 360 but the performance issues kept me away) and I loved it. It wasn't too hard though, I played through it entirely offline because I didn't have PS+ and none of the bosses were overly difficult. Martyr Logarius and BSB gave me trouble, but I beat the fire dog in a chalice dungeon on my first try and most of the bosses didn't take that many tries for me. The game didn't have the same replayability I've gotten out of Dark Souls 3, and it's definitely easier than DS3, but I enjoyed my time with it.

You have great taste :)

What do think about the Saw Spear? IMO it has a better moveset and more range (the transformation attack is crazy, such a long reach). My favourite weapon in the game by far.

I think the Chalices are awesome, but looking at the general opinion I'm in the minority. They have some amazing enemies and bosses, that you can't find anywhere else in the game.

I still play regularly, always random depth 5 dungeons with all the offerings. It's so much fun.

I don't remember using the Saw Spear actually. I probably tried it out early on though. Going to refresh myself next time I'm playing since you're recommending it!

Did you find the Upper Cathedral Ward? I didn't see any mention of it in your post, but it has a couple of extra bosses and it's a really eerie, atmospheric area.

Edit: Never mind, I just saw the mention of Celestial Emissary.

Did you find the Upper Cathedral Ward? I didn't see any mention of it in your post, but it has a couple of extra bosses and it's a really eerie, atmospheric area.

I did. That was another top-tier area. Loved the design of Ebrietas. Only reason I didn't mention it is because I hate the guys that drain insight :p

Its one of the best games I've ever played and still stands above anything else on the PS4 to date, in my opinion.

I'm dying to get back and play The Old Hunters.

Old Hunters is incredible. It's right up there with Artorias of the Abyss and Hearts of Stone as my favorite piece of DLC.

Aenima

Bloodborne is also my favorith of all the Souls game. The art made the game so beauty in every single location and the combat is so much fun. Also, to me, is one of the games with best weapon designs ever.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Great pos-

Oh hell no. Despite less armor in general, fashion in BB is the best in Fashion Souls.

Nah, mate, there's, like, one set that even looks like actual armor? Some nice looking overcoats, to be sure, but there's not much variety in the end.

Got it in the recent amazon sale. Getting ass kicked, don't mind. Sound design is amazing, atmosphere great, love the design for the most part, but the environments can feel a little too busy with high-contrast noise sometimes. Looking forward to a few months of throwing myself into it. (I play slow.)

Malcolm9

Amazing game, I did borrow it from a friend before and got past the first few bosses and loved it.

I picked up the GOTY edition from PSN, as it currently has 50% off and was only £24.99.

Aceofspades

Banned
Just beat Dark Souls 3, still think Bloodborne is the better game no doubt .

Gameplay is super fantastic, animations are superb.

It doesn't have that sluggish kick from Ds3 in the middle of my combo -_-

Also boss fights were more epic than DS3...maybe its the faster pace? Also boss music seems to fit really well during the fight.

Masterpiece.

Cartho

Very nicely put OP. It just has so many stand out moments: Father Gascgoine, Lady Maria, the phase change in the Ludwig battle, the first time you extend the threaded cane and feel like the baddest mother fucker in the god damn valley... I could go on and on.

Easily my favourite game in the souls series because it retains so much of what makes them brilliant while also feeling so very different to play.

"Ah, you were by my side all along..."

Just beat Dark Souls 3, still think Bloodborne is the better game no doubt .

Gameplay is super fantastic, animations are superb.

It doesn't have that sluggish kick from Ds3 in the middle of my combo -_-

Also boss fights were more epic than DS3...maybe its the faster pace? Also boss music seems to fit really well during the fight.

Masterpiece.

After finishing ds3 I immediately went to bloodborn right away to compare. I thought it was easier and the movement is way better imo. I have to say they're both unique and I love them both :( I will say, I think the shield made me turtle too much, in ds3.

Aurongel

"Ah, you were by my side all along..."

For as much misguided shit as From Software's gotten lately for fanservice, when they do make cross-game references they do them extremely well. The quasi-origin story for the Moonlight Greatsword in Bloodborne gave me legit goosebumps. The way the music drops out then steadily builds during the reveal is some masterful direction. The entire theme for that fight is among the best in any RPG ever, IMO. I can't really think of any other soundtracks that tread the line between horror and bombast quite like that.

BB is a great game, but FROM ended up hiding some of its best bosses in that chalice dungeon.

Lots of players get burned out by depth 3 or whatever and never see them.

kizmah

Gaf, some help here. I LOVE the art direction of this game and I understand it's quite Lovecraftian wich is a huge plus. But I am hesitant due to the difficulty. I played some Demon's souls back in the day and I couldn't get into it. Or let me put it this way, it intrigued me but it was just too hard and oppressing and I gave up pretty fast. Is Bloodborne as hard for a Souls-newbie? Everything I see of this game makes me want to play it but I just can't stand punishing difficulty in games.

I liked Bloodborne when I first played it and I even got the platinum but I didn't really love it until I went back to it months later.

One thing that really sticks out to me is the art direction and the animations. Popping a blood vile while strutting during a fight just feels bad ass. And that doge animation is so beautiful when you realize that you're not just invincible and dodging through attacks but you're actually dodging under swings and it's all animated so well.

Gaf, some help here. I LOVE the art direction of this game and I understand it's quite Lovecraftian wich is a huge plus. But I am hesitant due to the difficulty. I played some Demon's souls back in the day and I couldn't get into it. Or let me put it this way, it intrigued me but it was just too hard and oppressing and I gave up pretty fast. Is Bloodborne as hard for a Souls-newbie? Everything I see of this game makes me want to play it but I just can't stand punishing difficulty in games.

It's worth a try. The beginning area is pretty difficult and the first mandatory boss is gonna kick you're ass

its exactly why I got the game but, just practice dodging and parrying and u will have blast!

There's nothing in the Souls games that can't be overcome with a bit of persistence and learning through failure. I would recommend giving it a shot if you're committed to sticking with the game even when it seems impossible. You WILL overcome. There's a great community here on NeoGAF willing to help you if you get stuck, too. Alternatively, the game allows you to summon phantoms and other players if you desire (basically an "easy" mode).

what-ok

Bloodborne made games exciting for me again. Oh and it's one of the few games I took to NG+++++++ and look forward to playing it even more after the DS3 DLC comes and goes.
Bloodborne 2, anyone? Maybe a teaser come E3? Can you hear our prayers?

Glad you enjoyed it OP. BB is the first Souls-like I've ever beaten. I disagree with you about Byrgenworth though, It was one of my favorite levels because of its lore heavyness.

Top Bottom