• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Bloodborne is *amazing*

aravuus

Fuck Braintrust and fuck the horse shit status effect that is frenzy. The only legit infuriating parts of the game.

Watch this video. Parrying the Winter Lanterns is incredibly rewarding, because if you are in the middle of a visceral animation, the frenzy won't damage you. They're also very easy to parry, with a generous window and only one attack you have to learn the timing for.

holy shit

Alej

Banned
Huh, didn't know this was a Witcher thread?

Wtf. Witcher3 despite very good writing is a really boring game. It is generic in design and gameplay. It is a very big unfocused open world rpg.

A 9/10 game for sure but with massive flaws and just a chore to finish.

In the other hand, just looking by the % on the trophy list. I think Bloodborne is a chef d'oeuvre just by retaining a very large chunk of his players to the end. And this is a massive achievement for that kind of game.

Van Bur3n

Watch this video. Parrying the Winter Lanterns is incredibly rewarding, because if you are in the middle of a visceral animation, the frenzy won't damage you. They're also very easy to parry, with a generous window and only one attack you have to learn the timing for.

Mamma mia, I was just playing in that area tonight. I know what I'm doing from now on.

Dabanton

I had played it before but the save file I was messing with was halfway through the game.

I now finally have my own PS4 Pro and brought the game as it was 20 dollars for the main game and the DLC whats a good starting build?

silva1991

Huh, didn't know this was a Witcher thread?

He said game of the generation, not the game of it's month only :)

I had played it before but the save file I was messing with was halfway through the game.

I now finally have my own PS4 Pro and brought the game as it was 20 dollars for the main game and the DLC whats a good starting build?

Both STR and skill are good starting builds.

Cyborg

One of the best games since PS2-era. The two things that could have been better are
1. deeper lore
2. more weapons/armors.

eot

Banned
It's a term from Demon's Souls where weapon scaling was based on a pretty even split between STR and DEX, instead of highly favoring one over the other.

Also, I don't really get the "less RPG elements" argument. Unless customization is just another term for "RPG". Bloodborne had less variety and less overall customization, but I've never once thought of any of these games truly as an "RPG". Just grand action/adventure/horror games with very minor RPG elements.

Did you engage with that aspect of Dark Souls? There is a ton of room to play around with the systems in that game. It is severely diminished in Bloodborne. Trying doing a BL4 run and see for yourself how limited your options are.

Toxi

Banned
Did you engage with that aspect of Dark Souls? There is a ton of room to play around with the systems in that game. It is severely diminished in Bloodborne. Trying doing a BL4 run and see for yourself how limited your options are.
SL1 runs have never been the best way to see how many options a Souls game has though.

A bigger problem with Bloodborne's RPG elements is that you can't respec, and since many of the diverse weapons are limited to late game, playing with different builds is a ridiculous time investment.
One of the best games since PS2-era. The two things that could have been better are
1. deeper lore
2. more weapons/armors.
If you haven't yet, read The Paleblood Hunt. It's a fantastic interpretation of the game's story, though far from the only one.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I've really grown to loathe these "playing with a shield means you're not a REAL MAN and Bloodborne taught me how not to be a PUSSY SCRUB" posts, especially with some of the examples OP gives. You are not going to be able to beat Sir Alonne and Smelter Demon by turtling behind a shield because of how much stability they take off,
Hate to contradict you but... you absolutely can turtle Sir Alonne (especially with a greatshield and/or the bird ring). It actually trivializes the fight. :p If you had written Fume Knight I'd agree, unless you're using Havel's.

so using a shield with them isn't about "hiding like a wimp", but is actually about managing your stamina which is, you know, a major part of these games??

Furthermore, the only reason that Bloodborne's dodge-heavy gameplay works is because the dodge is actually -easy to pull off-, unlike the earlier Souls games. You aren't better, and nor is the game better, for forcing one particular playstyle over others.
I do agree with that, the whole "fuck shields" thing is nonsense. Shields are great. I don't mind that Bloodborne removes the focus on them for something different, but it's not inherently better.

I introduced a friend of mine to Bloodborne and he said that literally every time he fought anything, lol.
Well, he obviously hadn't quite grasped the controls yet...? Cause I can't see how you can be unintentionally doing stuff in Bloodborne, really. (In DS3 I sure kicked accidentally -- and failed to kick when I wanted to kick -- all the times though >_<)

30fps and heavy chromatic aberration in combination made this impossible to endure.
e_______e

Cyborg

SL1 runs have never been the best way to see how many options a Souls game has though.

A bigger problem with Bloodborne's RPG elements is that you can't respec, and since many of the diverse weapons are limited to late game, playing with different builds is a ridiculous time investment.

If you haven't yet, read The Paleblood Hunt. It's a fantastic interpretation of the game's story, though far from the only one.

Alread aware of it! Its great, I meant the lack of NPC's. Its hard to describe but Dark Souls did a better job.

ty_hot

What the hell does L1 button do? I press it and it changes my weapons, but I don't know what is this weapon?

Its been 3 days that I spend 30 minutes per day trying the same part of the game. Fuck. This shit is so difficult as a newcomer. I'm in the very beginning (LOL).

Toxi

Banned
Alread aware of it! Its great, I meant the lack of NPC's. Its hard to describe but Dark Souls did a better job.
I agree there's not enough NPCs and NPC questlines. While I do love some of the NPCs ("A hoonter must hoont."), there just isn't enough interaction with them in general.

silva1991

What the hell does L1 button do? I press it and it changes my weapons, but I don't know what is this weapon?

Its been 3 days that I spend 30 minutes per day trying the same part of the game. Fuck. This shit is so difficult as a newcomer. I'm in the very beginning (LOL).

Weapons in this game are two in one. You can also press L1 in mid of combo or while dodging to do glorious transforming attack.

system11

Oh please man!

No, it really did. I mean, I could have lived with the 30 if there were no other problems but it's not as nice as the excellent DS2 port. That CA was a headache inducing nightmare though, especially with mostly dark scenes at that sub-HD resolution.

I consider any game with heavy CA like that to be essentially unplayable, because I can't play them, because the headaches the effect directly causes me (and others) aren't worth it. People were begging for a toggle as soon as the newer screenshots were released.

Cyborg

No, it really did. I mean, I could have lived with the 30 if there were no other problems but it's not as nice as the excellent DS2 port. That CA was a headache inducing nightmare though, especially with mostly dark scenes at that sub-HD resolution.

I consider any game with heavy CA like that to be essentially unplayable, because I can't play them, because the headaches the effect directly causes me (and others) aren't worth it. People were begging for a toggle as soon as the newer screenshots were released.

Its your opinion, thats fine. I didnt notice that at all, I just played and loved every second of it (like this is my opinion)

It's a term from Demon's Souls where weapon scaling was based on a pretty even split between STR and DEX, instead of highly favoring one over the other.

I see, that's pretty much my default build towards the end of every Souls / BB. :D

Also, I don't really get the "less RPG elements" argument. Unless customization is just another term for "RPG". Bloodborne had less variety and less overall customization, but I've never once thought of any of these games truly as an "RPG". Just grand action/adventure/horror games with very minor RPG elements.

Bloodborne is more straightforward with most of its systems, particularly weapon upgrades, where the gem / slot system is more like something you'd find in an action game, as opposed to the permanent / elemental upgrades of Souls that are more RPGy and have you doing more number crunch in advance. Also having lots of weapons that are funcionally similar but differ primarily on stats (Souls) is more RPGy than having unique weapons that are balanced against each other stat-wise and differ vastly in moveset (BB). The latter approach is more Zelda-like.

Also I'm the first to frown at the liberal use of the word "RPG" (my only ban on GAF resulted from me disagreeing with applying that label to Gravity Rush of all things), but these games have experience points, level ups, numeric stats that directly affect your performance, consumable items, weapon and armor stats, and a whole bunch of other systems that put it pretty squarely, at the very least, in action RPG territory.

I've really grown to loathe these "playing with a shield means you're not a REAL MAN and Bloodborne taught me how not to be a PUSSY SCRUB" posts, especially with some of the examples OP gives. You are not going to be able to beat Sir Alonne and Smelter Demon by turtling behind a shield because of how much stability they take off, so using a shield with them isn't about "hiding like a wimp", but is actually about managing your stamina which is, you know, a major part of these games??

But I turtled Sir Alonne and Smelter...? It is possible with two different shields.

Well fuck me sideways, I platinumed this game and never once even considered parrying them

30fps and heavy chromatic aberration in combination made this impossible to endure.

It's amazing people survived the PS1 / N64 era with this attitude.

It's amazing that this game is better than just about every 60fps game with no chromatic aberration. Only one I've played that I think competes is MGSV, which was also one of my favorites of last year.

Oh man Bloodborne as a first Souls game? That's... interesting. Good luck and just don't give up!

It was my first Souls game, too! =)

Kaisos

Hate to contradict you but... you absolutely can turtle Sir Alonne (especially with a greatshield and/or the bird ring). It actually trivializes the fight. :p

Yeesh, it really makes that much of a difference? He'd knock my Defender's Shield away in 1-2 hits, without the ring.

Well, he obviously hadn't quite grasped the controls yet...?

Yeah, I just thought it was funny that he said that exact thing. That's probably just how he reacts to unfamiliar systems though.

Ecto311

Wife got me this game for xmas after a long time reading how good it is. How the fuck do you do anything after you beat the 2 old bums by the broke wagon? All the fuckin doors are locked and nothing is working.

Any good youtube sets for getting past the first 10 fuckin minutes?

Other than that I have had fun killing 2 dudes and walking in circles for over an hour. Maybe it's something simple and I am too tired at 4am to figure it out.

Bloodborne is probably my favorite game of this generation. It's one of my top games of all time. Love the setting, the weapons, the lore, combat, healing system. It is fantastic.

Toxi

Banned
Wife got me this game for xmas after a long time reading how good it is. How the fuck do you do anything after you beat the 2 old bums by the broke wagon? All the fuckin doors are locked and nothing is working.

Other than that I have had fun killing 2 dudes and walking in circles for over an hour. Maybe it's something simple and I am too tired at 4am to figure it out.
There's a lever you can pull near those two dudes. It brings down a ladder you can climb up.

GreekWolf

Guys, I'm ready to start a new game this week and trying to decide between Bloodborne and Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls. Which would be the better choice as a title that will last me 2 to 3 months?

Toxi

Banned
Guys, I'm ready to start a new game this week and trying to decide between Bloodborne and Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls. Which would be the better choice as a title that will last me 2 to 3 months?
Diablo 3 will last you a lot more than that.

But Bloodborne is the better game.

It really depends on what you're looking for, but if you get the GOTY edition of Bloodborne, it will last a good while. Especially if you take your time to explore and do side stuff

Wanna ask this question again in case it was missed:

Is the cheapest GOTY edition the $39.99 one on Amazon? I don't see it cheaper anywhere, and there are no used copies.

Wanna ask this question again in case it was missed:

Is the cheapest GOTY edition the $39.99 one on Amazon? I don't see it cheaper anywhere, and there are no used copies.

Looks like it, but, you can commonly find the base game for $10, and then you could just buy the DLC

aravuus

You're gonna love Forbidden Forest

system11

Well fuck me sideways, I platinumed this game and never once even considered parrying them

It's amazing people survived the PS1 / N64 era with this attitude.

The PS1 era didn't have chromatic aberration, it's a modern evil. My eyes keep trying to focus it, which of course they can't, which very quickly turns into an acute eyestrain headache.

And this is why I wish people would make more noise about console games getting toggles for certain disruptive graphical effects, then everyone could be happy, and I could have tried Bloodborne.

The PS1 era didn't have chromatic aberration, it's a modern evil. My eyes keep trying to focus it, which of course they can't, which very quickly turns into an acute eyestrain headache.

The PS1 era had much worse. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark's multiplayer had massive slowdown to single-digit frame rates. Everything was blocky. Clipping was a bigger issue. Seeing through buildings happened a lot. Not knowing what the hell was in the background because objects at a distance blended in with the scenery was a thing. 60fps was rarer than today.

And this is why I wish people would make more noise about console games getting toggles for certain disruptive graphical effects, then everyone could be happy, and I could have tried Bloodborne.

I wouldn't mind that.

People do make noise, but it also doesn't stop them from enjoying amazing games because of minor issues

Mephala

In BB I have a useless shield, a useless gun and no magic whatsoever.

As someone who loves the guns and how they function this is how I feel.
T6AGj78.gif

Sub-HD? The game runs at 1080p.

Platinumed Bloodborne, Game of the generation by far, The soundtrack alone is a masterpiece especially Ludwig's.

Luckily i got my friends into it and Dark Souls 3 by saying they can be Co-op, Turns out they love these games now!

Even making us go back and play DS2.

My only minor issue with BB is the armor stats not meaning much, But when it looks as good as the Cainhurst set, Who cares.

Shame Miyazaki is done with these types of games.

Kill3r7

Each weapon has two modes.

You can't make any real progress playing 30min a day. It is incredibly frustrating. I say this as someone who played the game this way early on and spend a total of 9 hours without making any real progress. You have to play at least a hour long session, 60-90mins is the ideal amount of time to progress and enjoy. I struggled with this myself as I rarely make time for games outside of Destiny or the occasional late evening weekend gaming session.

P.S. Also be glad you are playing the game now because early on load times post death were excruciating.

Top Bottom