• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Bloodborne is *amazing*

Rather than asking for Bloodborne 2 I'm much more interested in seeing what From will create next. Nobody really expected Bloodborne either, after all.

I think BB2 must happen as they "left" Dark Souls for a quite long time now. BB2 will be the link to "old" Souls games and some new Sci-Fi Souls must happen next, no?

- BB2: 2018 January in Japan
- Sci-Fi/ Dino/ Egypt/ Berserk Souls 2019/20

This would be terrific.

I think BB2 must happen as they "left" Dark Souls for a quite long time now. BB2 will be the link to "old" Souls games and some new Sci-Fi Souls must happen next, no?

- BB2: 2018 January in Japan
- Sci-Fi/ Dino/ Egypt/ Berserk Souls 2019/20

This would be terrific.

Well, keep in mind that Dark Souls 3 released after Bloodborne, so that's not entirely true. Though I think that comparatively Bloodborne is the winner between those two games in terms of thematic creativity and gameplay. I wouldn't dare guess what they're up to next, but if it's anything like what happened when we went from Dark Souls to Bloodborne it's going to be great.

MilkBeard

I would say Bloodborne is better than Demon's Souls, but Demon's Souls is my least played Souls game, so you know where I'm coming from.

Bloodborne is a great game, DLC too. I hope Fromsoft can match it with another game.

DieH@rd

Banned
Didn't they already confirm the next project will have something to do with Armored Core?

I think they said something like ~working on a new IP and sequel of their old franchise. I don't remember correctly.

Chances for BB sequel are slim, but I'm still hoping for a late Pro patch.

Hemwick/ Forbidden Woods though I stumbled upon Ludwig boss, heh, in the Nigthmare (LVL45, +5 Weapon) beyond the River of Blood.

Playing it 100% dark so I do not know what is and what is not DLC etc. (I know Ludwig is due to "hardest bosses in the Souls series" thread).

Cannot really read or post in this thread due to spoilers I just wanted to confirm that this game is SUPER LEGIT.

Can't imagine I waited 2 years to buy a PS4 to play this, damn!

Yes!

I just bought this game while it was $8 on PSN and I've never really played a Souls game before...I tried to play but its goddamn creepy and even though I know it's okay to die it's still discouraging when I do so I haven't been able to get into it at all so far.

Vanadium

I just bought this game while it was $8 on PSN and I've never really played a Souls game before...I tried to play but its goddamn creepy and even though I know it's okay to die it's still discouraging when I do so I haven't been able to get into it at all so far.

Creepy? Yes. That's BB. For a newcomer, the first level can be steep on the learning curve side and maybe more punishing than necessary, but it's not really that bad. Concentrate on luring enemies one by one, managing stamina or just do the Souls Run and try to learn the area loops before worrying too much about combat. Eventually you'll move through areas much faster until you hit a wall in the boss rooms.

The first area is notoriously difficult, especially for newcomers to Souls games (like I was!). It's just a matter of learning and grappling with the movements of your character. It's a steep curve, but once you're over it you won't have that issue again aside from bosses. The game will still be hard and you'll still die plenty, but it won't feel like ramming your head into a wall anymore.

Toxi

Banned
Where are you stuck? GAF's a great source for help.

cheesekao

In the first area, do not bother killing all the enemies if you've gotten all the items on the ground. It's not worth it.

image.php

groansey

Played for 12 hours.
Beat Cleric Beast and explored everywhere up to Father Gascoigne.
Got sick of replaying the same area and grinding for blood just so I could retry the boss.
Uninstalled.
The difficulty is counter to ny enjoyment.

Where are you stuck? GAF's a great source for help.

I'm just dicking around in Central Yarnham without much direction. I killed quite a few enemies and I was hoping that would let me level up or something, but then I learned dying makes you lose the soul thingies that let you level up...so that didn't go as planned. Big fat guy with a cleaver thing killed me...everything else I just two-hand hunter axe spinned to death. I feel like it's easy to kill them that way but also means I haven't learn how to do actual combat.

I posted earlier in this thread as I am a complete noob to Souls games. Just got my ass kicked by the starved-beast boss. But I can't stop playing, I'm hooked.

Now I want that Pro patch more than ever.

Toxi

Banned
I'm just dicking around in Central Yarnham without much direction. I killed quite a few enemies and I was hoping that would let me level up or something, but then I learned dying makes you lose the soul thingies that let you level up...so that didn't go as planned. Big fat guy with a cleaver thing killed me...everything else I just two-hand hunter axe spinned to death. I feel like it's easy to kill them that way but also means I haven't learn how to do actual combat.
Don't worry about losing your blood echoes. You can and will easily get more. It's a good idea to spend them whenever you get the chance instead of saving them up, unless you're saving them for something specific in mind.

You can level up in the Hunter's Dream with blood echoes after you have insight. You can gain insight either from encountering a boss or from using the item Madman's Knowledge. You can also upgrade your weapon using the work bench in the house in the Hunter's Dream.

The charged spinning swing with the Hunter's Axe is a super good attack, so don't feel guilty about relying on it, a lot of other players do the exact same thing. Just try to experiment with the other attacks and with dodging and parrying against fodder enemies.

For the big fat guy with an axe, he's very vulnerable to parrying with the gun. So are the big ogres with bricks. Generally, humanoids can be parried, while more monstrous enemies can't, though there are exceptions.

Kinsei

Banned
I posted earlier in this thread as I am a complete noob to Souls games. Just got my ass kicked by the starved-beast boss. But I can't stop playing, I'm hooked.

Now I want that Pro patch more than ever.

Blood starved beast is pretty tough at first but it's very vulnerable to parrying.

If you bought the key for 10k after beating Cleric Beast then you can completely skip this boss.

Blood starved beast is pretty tough at first but it's very vulnerable to parrying.

If you bought the key for 10k after beating Cleric Beast then you can completely skip this boss.

So that's what the key is for. I think I'll just keep going at it. Those YouTube videos are extremely helpful.

Kssio_Aug

It is great.

What I didn't like in a way, was how NOT relaxing was playing this game. After a difficult day at work having ass kicked by BB wasn't nice. I guess that's why I haven't tried it with DLC yet.

I agree. The game is great, it plays very well, and is a very good souls alternative. But that was the most stresful for me, by far, compared to Demon's Souls and Dark Souls (haven't played DS2 and DS3 yet).

I think I prefer the freedom of playstyle D. Souls give to the players, while in Bloodborne you're stuck to close combat, parry and dodge mehcanics.

Played for 12 hours.
Got sick of replaying the same area and grinding for blood just so I could retry the boss.
Uninstalled.

Eh. You think it is, but jizzingly-good feelings rarely transpire from beating something that's easy. It's all part of it.

You remind me of my friend who was adamant that he hated every second he played of DS1, yet he couldn't stop playing it. I think he just thinks he hated it. Fast forward a few years and this same friend beat Bloodborne after immeasurable heartache and cited it as one of his greatest accomplishments in life.

I'd keep at it.

Rodin

I would say Bloodborne is better than Demon's Souls, but Demon's Souls is my least played Souls game, so you know where I'm coming from.

Bloodborne is a great game, DLC too. I hope Fromsoft can match it with another game.
Bloodborne is easily the best in the series, up there with DS3. Maybe even better overall.

Played for 12 hours.
Uninstalled.
What class are you?

To beat Gascoigne either use the tombstones to protect yourself from his attacks (but don't get stuck in them or he'll destroy you) or go to the stairs. Parry his most obvious and slow attacks in the first two phases, dodge and go in-attack-out during the last one. Use molotovs.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I always bought bloodvials and bullets with what I had left over after upgrading and buying things I wanted.

pager99

Played for 12 hours.
Uninstalled.
Wait till you get to the blood starved vagina!

Toxi

Banned
Played for 12 hours.
Uninstalled.
Sorry to hear about that.

We can offer a lot of helpful advice if you ever want to try it again.

If every boss was as awesome as the DLCs', this game would have been literally perfect. I mean, even the straightforward mob spam boss is actually pretty cool to fight, and those are always a giant bore to me.

Played for 12 hours.
Uninstalled.

You know you can purchase blood vials, right?

I guess as my last Souls game this should not be surprsising but I still think the game is easier than DaS3 and DaS2:

Cleric Beast - 0 deaths
Father Gascoigne - 0 deaths
Vicar Amelia - 0 deaths
Blood-starved Beast - 2 deaths
The Fiery Dog in Chalice Dungeon - 0 deaths
The 3 Fatsos in Chalice Dungeon - 0 deaths
The Fireball hurling Werewolf in Chalice Dungeon - 0 deaths

Kaisos

2017 and people still farm for bloodvials instead of buying them from the hunters dream
:)))))))))

At endgame, and with enough Discovery, it might be quicker to grind for them by running through Central Yharnam than grinding for echoes to buy them.

Melchiah

At endgame, and with enough Discovery, it might be quicker to grind for them by running through Central Yharnam than grinding for echoes to buy them.

Nah, you get ~100k Blood Echoes in 3-4 minutes by doing the Mensis route, with three Moon runes equipped. ~300k on NG+.

Well I've beaten the game after abour 1.5 month playing it on and off. Never fired a single bullet - so the guns could be not existing for all I care. Please bring back my Greatshield of Artorias in Bloodborne 2 :(

I think it is amazing and incredible piece of ART and GENIUS but it stays 0.05% behind Demon's Souls for me.

What it lacks is the a) variety in the environments b) challenging bosses.

a) I've played this game in the dark and I think I discovered all optional areas:
- Cainhurst
- Upper Cathedral Ward
- Hypogean Gaol

My favourite place in the entire game is the Nightmare of Mensis with one of the best level arcs in the entire game (the Mind of Mensis) even though it is very similiar to dropping down the Hear in Tower of Latria 3-2.

Given the above the game truly feels like being stuck in "city" and "castle" areas. Forbidden Woods is quite different but it is only one area (my 2nd favourite in the game BTW). Yharnam is basically all castles. Then you go to Cainhurst - a castle. Then to Nightmare - another castle!

But would I have changed it? Designed it in a different way? No. The game is super coherent with being what it is and I do not think any additional (non-DLC) areas were needed in Miyazaki's mind.

b) maybe it is because I've played all other Souls games before but I found the bosses in Bloodborne being unusually easy for a game without shields. They look and act incredible but most of them I saw only once because I killed them on the first try. I made a list actually:

- Cleric Beast - 1st try
- Father Gascoigne - 1st try
- Vicar Amelia - 1st try
- Blood-starved Beast - 3rd try
- Shadows of Yharnam - 1st try
- Darkbeast Paarl - 1st try
- Amygdala - 1st try
- Celestial Emissary - 1st try
- Witch of Hemwick - 1st try
- Rom, The Spider - 1st try
- The One Reborn - 3rd try
- Micolash - 8th try (2nd hardest boss in the game)
- Wet Nurse - 3rd try (only because I was greedy)
- Cosmos Daughter - 4th try (camera issues)
- Martyr Logarius - 4th try (simply tried him too early)
- Gehrman - 8th try (hardest fucking boss in the game)

Now I am sorry but I usually cannot beat a single Souls boss on my first try. For comparison:

- Fume Knight - 44th try (yes, you read that right)
- Aava, the King's Pet - 9th try
- Iudex Gundyr - 8th try (I was naked)
- Champion Gundyr - 11th try
etc.

I still have to do DLC and I've heard about Ludwig so probably the bosses will turn up the challenge in the DLC! After all Fume Knight *WAS* DLC.

That of course does not change the fact that BB contains what I call joke bosses. Celestial Emissary? Witches of Hemwick? Darkbeast? What's the point of those bosses? They never even hit me.

---

In any case it is an instant classic. A very memorable game, console-defining even (PS4) that has the fluidity and "newness" that Demon's Souls lack and that's why probably it will be remembered more fondly than the OG.

Time to continue the Hunt...

bloodborne_2017021116c9jnk.jpg

Yeah, you can't say that the bosses are easy if you haven't even tried the DLC bosses (and there some very challenging chalice bosses). Since you don't use guns, Orphan of Kos is going to wreck your shit.

sn00zer

Well I've beaten the game after abour 1.5 month playing it on and off. Never fired a single bullet - so the guns could be not existing for all I care. Please bring back my Greatshield of Artorias in Bloodborne 2 :(

I think it is amazing and incredible piece of ART and GENIUS but it stays 0.05% behind Demon's Souls for me.

Holy shit..... do you know they are used for a parry mechanic.

Also Bloodborne bosses are easier because youve played Souls games before.

Holy shit..... do you know they are used for a parry mechanic.

Also Bloodborne bosses are easier because youve played Souls games before.

Yes but I can't parry for shit in Souls games. It's ok, I do not do PvP and I can manage PvE without parrying in Demon's/ Dark 1/2/3/ Bloodborne.

I just can't so I do not bother. I always turtled behind a piece of metal/ rock (greatshields).

Top Bottom