• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Bloodborne and The Old Hunters DLC (UNMARKED SPOILERS)

Ivellios

I found Ludwig to be the hardest boss on the dlc, he was the only one i needed help with, but also the most epic with that amazing OST at his second phase.

is it possible to see all of the chalice dungeon lore without using cursed debuff for example? I dont find them fun, but if so much lore is hidden away there in willing to try to complete them, just dont want to die in one hit to bosses because i have half my hp

Yeah, it's a great boss battle.

Better than Lady Maria though? That's madness!

Maria is my favorite FROM Software boss, period.

The boss that I thought was executed poorly was the final DLC one on the beach. It's hitboxes are sloppy and it frustrated me really bad. lol

Bloodborne is so good though. Maria is one of my favorites as well! After that boss fight, I had so much respect for Maria I couldn't take off her costume. It looked cool to boot as well.

The boss that I thought was executed poorly was the final DLC one on the beach. It's hitboxes are sloppy and it frustrated me really bad. lol

Bloodborne is so good though. Maria is one of my favorites as well! After that boss fight, I had so much respect for Maria I couldn't take off her costume. It looked cool to boot as well.

Gehrman heavy breathing

OP, I too was late to this party about a week after Uncharted 4 came out and ever since, my ps4 has just been a Bloodborne machine. havent even touched Uncharted 4 since. this game is seriously amazing and I HATED demon souls which made me never try any of the Dark souls game.

The only negatives to this game for me are the shitty fucking Chalice dungeons. they are the absolute worst!!!!!

also Laurence the first Vicar can eat a bag of dicks for all I care. Most annoying and lamest boss fight in the entire game (outside of chalice dungeon bosses. which some of them are just really bs). His range and 360 attacks combined with the fact he barely gives you any openings to attack and he recovers from most of his moves farely quickly so he starts to move away as you get close is super annoying/feels cheap.

Oh and lastly... grabs in this game are OP/annoying as shit/kinda counter intuitive in regards to the game's concept of "being more aggressive" and makes it feel they are a game design flaw in that respect. but thats just my opinion.

I found Ludwig to be the hardest boss on the dlc, he was the only one i needed help with, but also the most epic with that amazing OST at his second phase.

is it possible to see all of the chalice dungeon lore without using cursed debuff for example? I dont find them fun, but if so much lore is hidden away there in willing to try to complete them, just dont want to die in one hit to bosses because i have half my hp

You do Chalice dungeons for Uncanny/lost version of weapons, Gems, and bloodrocks. there is very little lore so dont put yourself thru the hell of chalice dungeons if you arent PVPing. seriously not worth it.

This is a great podcast that kinda goes in depth as to why the Chalice dungeons are pure shit, and discuss any lore implications from them, the very very little there is. (theres another part to this on that very same soundcloud page)
https://soundcloud.com/bonfiresidechat/episode-79-chalice-dungeons-part-2

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i sucked at this game so bad. the only reason i could beat it and the dlc was because i summoned help for ton of bosses and was grossly over-leveled.

and i'm sure we can all agree that logarius is by far the most difficult boss in the game.

Maddrical

Glad to see I'm not the only one who freakin' loves the fight with Maria, she's definitely in my top 3 Soulsborne bosses. Orphan of Kos was by far the hardest fight in the DLC for me, I died over 20 times. Ludwig took maybe half those attempts and I managed to kill Lawrence in 2 attempts somehow.

I used to consider Demon's Souls as my favourite game ever, but after replaying Bloodborne a couple of times, it's hard to argue with it being my #1. I just love every single thing about it, especially the Victorian setting combined with cosmic horror.

i sucked at this game so bad. the only reason i could beat it and the dlc was because i summoned help for ton of bosses and was grossly over-leveled.

and i'm sure we can all agree that logarius is by far the most difficult boss in the game.

no way, just cause you can parry him. I mean he might be second worst. but the fact you can parry him keeps him from being most difficult imo. I think Laurence is the most difficult.

Yeezus

He was easy tho

a80c373c02a0f5a5315b381d8c74e9ee.jpg

so hard, took me like a whole frickin day D:

hearing people do double digit attempts on bosses does alot for my ego... lol

I swear I didnt get to double digit attempts on any boss in this game except for laurence. which I believe was 11 attempts before I got him down.

the second most would be logarious which was probably 6 attempts.

Ludwig was six also tho.

every other boss was less.

I one shot a couple bosses, (witch, amygdala, wet nurse, living failures, bloodstarved beast, and mensis)

Even tho I 2 shot Maria, I will say she was the most enjoyable boss fight in the DLC.

Zukuu

Banned
Don't feel good. :3

I killed 12 bosses first try. 3 second try (Shadows... due to extremely bad luck with the second phase, Logarius and Ebi) and only one took me more: Bloodstarved Beast - five(!) he was a bitch until you figured out that you need to be aggressive and dodge into him.

Weirdly enough, my second play-through (including DLC) a few months ago was worse for some reason.

sn00zer

I thought the DLC was weirdly placed in the main game (really you need to be near or at the nightmare to be properly leveled). Then the whole thing was just stupid hard. I felt like the base game was fun, the DLC was not.

I thought the DLC was weirdly placed in the main game (really you need to be near or at the nightmare to be properly leveled). Then the whole thing was just stupid hard. I felt like the base game was fun, the DLC was not.

Indeed, you can acces the DLC at level 30 with +4 weapon or less , you need around lv 70 with +8 weapon or above to reach the first boss on your first run. After Ludwig the difficulty raises everytime you reach an area aka Whale Sharks instant kills a poor geared hunter

silva1991

Not to me

his second phase can be pretty tough sometimes though it's like he knows exactly when the player wants to heal and will attacks the player while healing almost all the time lol.

Not to me

his second phase can be pretty tough sometimes though it's like he knows exactly when the player wants to heal and will attacks the player while healing almost all the time lol.

also the fact you can prevent the second stage by parrying him when he tries to go into it

-Horizon-

Maria was the coolest DLC boss but too easy in comparison to the other big bosses (not counting the living failures). Parry parry parry.

Its like the whole research tower had a drop in difficulty. I mean it was still tough as heck but Ludwig set too high of a bar to start the DLC off with.

sn00zer

Indeed, you can acces the DLC at level 30 with +4 weapon or less , you need around lv 70 with +8 weapon or above to reach the first boss on your first run. After Ludwig the difficulty raises everytime you reach an area aka Whale Sharks instant kills a poor geared hunter

Yeah....I feel like it would have been so much better if it wasnt so frustrating. The fights are fucking great mechanically, just a slog to actually play through.

Toxi

Banned
I found it pretty fun with a +6 weapon up until Fishing Hamlet, where the shark men just fucked me up.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Speaking of Iosefka.

It's kind of funny to see that people separate the 1st Iosefka and the fake Iosefka as the "good" one and the "bad" one.

No, the "good" one is not a "good" character. Proof? The amount of coprses you see on the ladder coming up to her place from Forbidden Woods. The fake Iosefka only replaced the real one after the events of Father Gascoigne; aside from turning all the NPCs you've sent there to bobbly aliens, do you folks really think she has time to kill and dispose all the corpses you see in the forbidden woods ladder? In Bloodborne's 'real time' it's not even a few hours passing on, most probably (remember that all the events in Bloodborne only took a day to pass.)

I loved the Lawrence fight probably the most intense boss I fought in the game.

It's really disappointing from a lore perspective, though. He is the ultimate bad guy, the one's responsible for all the Bloodborne events, he's the most evil of them all, and all we get from him is just a fight against his beast form. Great fight, but disappointing that such a central, extremely important character doesn't even speak when we encounter him.

There are only 2 boss battles, in which I need to take a break after failing lot of times. Ebrietas and OoK. That said, the two sharks' encounter is worse.

Speaking of Iosefka.

It's kind of funny to see that people separate the 1st Iosefka and the fake Iosefka as the "good" one and the "bad" one.

No, the "good" one is not a "good" character. Proof? The amount of coprses you see on the ladder coming up to her place from Forbidden Woods. The fake Iosefka only replaced the real one after the events of Father Gascoigne; aside from turning all the NPCs you've sent there to bobbly aliens, do you folks really think she has time to kill and dispose all the corpses you see in the forbidden woods ladder? In Bloodborne's 'real time' it's not even a few hours passing on, most probably (remember that all the events in Bloodborne only took a day to pass.)

It's really disappointing from a lore perspective, though. He is the ultimate bad guy, the one's responsible for all the Bloodborne events, he's the most evil of them all, and all we get from him is just a fight against his beast form. Great fight, but disappointing that such a central, extremely important character doesn't even speak when we encounter him.

Well in souls series even the good guys have a malicious nature,

First Iosefka actually cares about the Hunter and wish him a well being but behind the curtain she didnt stopped experimenting on Yharmanites due being tied with the church. Imposter was more radical about experimenting forcing the patients to create emmisaries to power up mensis forces probably due Micolash orders.

Nah, Larry was more about getting power without taking any responsability , he indeed accelerated yharman demise, too bad we never see a propwer Lawrence story telling aside from a crappy cutscene

sn00zer

I did love the setting of DLC and it basically confirming that every group in Bloodborne was a huge piece of shit that got exactly what they deserved.

But gawd was the DLC just plain not fun.....neat, but not fun.

Ivellios

OP, I too was late to this party about a week after Uncharted 4 came out and ever since, my ps4 has just been a Bloodborne machine. havent even touched Uncharted 4 since. this game is seriously amazing and I HATED demon souls which made me never try any of the Dark souls game.

The only negatives to this game for me are the shitty fucking Chalice dungeons. they are the absolute worst!!!!!

also Laurence the first Vicar can eat a bag of dicks for all I care. Most annoying and lamest boss fight in the entire game (outside of chalice dungeon bosses. which some of them are just really bs). His range and 360 attacks combined with the fact he barely gives you any openings to attack and he recovers from most of his moves farely quickly so he starts to move away as you get close is super annoying/feels cheap.

Oh and lastly... grabs in this game are OP/annoying as shit/kinda counter intuitive in regards to the game's concept of "being more aggressive" and makes it feel they are a game design flaw in that respect. but thats just my opinion.

You do Chalice dungeons for Uncanny/lost version of weapons, Gems, and bloodrocks. there is very little lore so dont put yourself thru the hell of chalice dungeons if you arent PVPing. seriously not worth it.

This is a great podcast that kinda goes in depth as to why the Chalice dungeons are pure shit, and discuss any lore implications from them, the very very little there is. (theres another part to this on that very same soundcloud page)
https://soundcloud.com/bonfiresidechat/episode-79-chalice-dungeons-part-2

Thanks for this, personally i found the chalice dungeons very boring, so im glad i wont need to do them

My favorite boss of the DLC was Maria too, her weapon is very cool, such a pity that you have to go through that nightmare of beating the 2 giants to get it, i died a lot before reading about the shaman daggers that turn them against each other.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Well in souls series even the good guys have a malicious nature,

First Iosefka actually cares about the Hunter and wish him a well being but behind the curtain she didnt stopped experimenting on Yharmanites due being tied with the church. Imposter was more radical about experimenting forcing the patients to create emmisaries to power up mensis forces probably due Micolash orders.

Nah, Larry was more about getting power without taking any responsability , he indeed accelerated yharman demise, too bad we never see a propwer Lawrence story telling aside from a crappy cutscene

The only real good people in Bloodborne are Arianna and the Oedon Chapel's steward. Too bad Arianna got fucked by Oedon, both figuratively and literally :/

Laurence I still think is the most evil of all characters in Bloodborne. Not only he deceived all the Yharnamites about the true nature of the Healing Church and serve as basically the foundation of the Yharnam's fall, he's also the person mostly responsible to what happened in the Fishing Village, the people in Maria's tower, and even the entire curse itself.

Which is why it's so disappointing that he got reduced to a much tougher Cleric Beast boss battle when we do finally meet him.

I did love the setting of DLC and it basically confirming that every group in Bloodborne was a huge piece of shit that got exactly what they deserved.

I disagree, I loved the DLC. Primarily because it was alot of hunter fights and Hunter fights for me are the most fun in this game.

Also, everyone complaining about the 2 shark monsters that drop Rakuyo...

I just killed the first shark guy as he was running away and then fought the second shark dude, I died twice to them trying to pull that off though.

silva1991

Is it not fun simply because you think it's too hard?

I really like the way this game sort of bridges the gap between action RPGs like the Souls games and Stylish action games like DMC.

spliced

If you love games like DMC and Bayonetta it makes sense that you'd love Bloodborne, the game is more twitch based than the Souls games especially the first three. I prefer the more strategic style of the Souls games, I found all the fighting with the camera and dash spam annoying.

The DLC was good but not super amazing on anything, the first area was the best overall but the reuse of old stuff hurt it a bit. The Research Hall had a neat design but the endless waves of the same enemies was a turn off and makes repeated playthroughs not all that good. The boss variety of the DLC was quite good though.

Mephala

OP did you find Cainhurst? The boss there is one of my favourites next to Amelia and Gerhman.

I suspect the bloodvial near Mergo's Wetnurse is just the developers trying to remind you of Isofka's existence, giving you a tip to go and get the Third of an Umbilical Cord.

The hardest boss for me personally are the ones on the Chalice Dungeons.
Cursed, Rotted, Fetid Chalice boss, Headless Bloodletting Beast. Such an asshole.

Actually the Pthemurian Elder gave me some trouble too now that I think about it. It struggled with the parries and he just danced all around me.

OP, I recommend the Chalice Dungeons. It'll be easy at first but it is still enjoyable.

I recommend this guide.

Need to get more stronk. It doesn't hurt to level up a lot in BB. Granted, that's my OCD kicking in I always gotta be prepared.

Dmax3901

Definitely my proudest platinum.

Hardest bosses for me were Defiled Amygdala, the defiled flame dog whatever it was called, Blood Starved Beast (in the main game, I was still getting gud) and that was probably it. The rest I got eventually, everything above took me like... a long time.

I think the Ludwig and OoK discrepancies can be blamed on differences in builds. I had no problems with any boss in this game until OoK. Ludwig was easy business for me.

OP, I recommend the Chalice Dungeons. It'll be easy at first but it is still enjoyable.

I recommend this guide.

OP, do not listen to this psycho. Only do the Chalice if you are going to PVP. and only do it if you wanna hardcore PVP/have the best chance in PVP. otherwise, there is no reason to torture yourself or give yourself a reason to dislike this game any further.

Chalice dungeons are the worst. They are just so boring and uninspired, and you gotta redo them everytime whenever you make a new character/build. ugh

Ferr986

Chalice Dungeons are awesome once you reach Depth 5 ones. Endless supply of new coop levels, when running through the game for the 20th time gets boring. Also quite the challenge. I totally miss them in DS3.

Still, don't do it for lore because there's not much onto it.

OP, do not listen to this psycho.

Opinions an all of that....

I agree that Chalices should be account wise because yeah, the grind from Depth 1 to Depth 4 is boring. But Depth 5 are a lot of fun when you're looking for a challenge and it offers more replayability than just cooping the base game again and again.

Love seeing weird stuff inside Chalices like the big ass spider from Mensis or a Ptumerian Elder wandering around inside a regular Layer.

I think the Ludwig and OoK discrepancies can be blamed on differences in builds. I had no problems with any boss in this game until OoK. Ludwig was easy business for me.

I had problems with both, but OoK was def harder. Once you get Ludwig's first form, the 2nd was way easier. I tend to do my characters with low stamina though.

gogosox82

I don't get the hate for Living Failures. I thought it was one of the most enjoyable boss fights in the game. Of course it isn't as spectacular or flashy as others like Maria, but I think it's greatly designed and I even liked it a bit more than Maria.

I like Living Failures but its just overshadowed by Maria especially if you got into the lore like I did and understand her role in all this. That fight is perfect imo while Living Failures is just a good fight.

Mephala

OP, do not listen to this psycho. Only do the Chalice if you are going to PVP. and only do it if you wanna hardcore PVP/have the best chance in PVP. otherwise, there is no reason to torture yourself or give yourself a reason to dislike this game any further.

Chalice dungeons are the worst. They are just so boring and uninspired, and you gotta redo them everytime whenever you make a new character/build. ugh

I disagree. The first few are boring and the environment leaves a lot to be desired but once the difficulty ramps up it is God Damn glorious. The fact that you can have so many variants means you won't ever know exactly what is in each dungeon. There are enemies in the chalice dungeons that are not in the base game at all. Some of the most intense fights and panic inducing moments in the game for me are from chalices.

I pvp without grinding chalices specifically because it takes a while to get to end game chalice. You don't need all the gems to enjoy PvP.

In fact, even at early stages it was pretty fun if only because it gave me a chance to play with weapons I hadn't upgraded. Less true on multiple characters but I that is another issue.

Nev

Banned
Chalice Dungeons are awesome once you reach Depth 5 ones. Endless supply of new coop levels, when running through the game for the 20th time gets boring. Also quite the challenge. I totally miss them in DS3.

Depth 5 are a lot of fun when you're looking for a challenge and it offers more replayability than just cooping the base game again and again.

Indeed. Someone who "hates" Chalice Dungeons doesn't really like Bloodborne as much as they say. I don't understand how infinite procedurally generated dungeons with unique enemies and bosses can be a bad thing. The gameplay is so good that I'm glad I don't have to repeat the main game 17 times until I hate it.

I'm still playing Depth 5 chalices everytime I have the chance, and I still can't help but open these doors that lead to extra rooms with loot I don't even need anymore. I just need to know what's behind even if it's a shitty sub-boss guarding a coffin with madman's knowledge. That's the essence of Souls to me and they managed to carry it over -to some extent, it isn't the same as the main game, obviously- to something randomly generated.

I hope they release them as DS3 DLC, I'd play the game forever. At the very least, make them come back for BB2 if there is one, I hope they don't listen to the haters.

I disagree. The first few are boring and the environment leaves a lot to be desired but once the difficulty ramps up it is God Damn glorious. The fact that you can have so many variants means you won't ever know exactly what is in each dungeon. There are enemies in the chalice dungeons that are not in the base game at all. Some of the most intense fights and panic inducing moments in the game for me are from chalices.

I pvp without grinding chalices specifically because it takes a while to get to end game chalice. You don't need all the gems to enjoy PvP.

In fact, even at early stages it was pretty fun if only because it gave me a chance to play with weapons I hadn't upgraded. Less true on multiple characters but I that is another issue.

I never said you need all the gems to enjoy pvp, but to be the best and have the most competitive edge, you do want the best gems for your weapon/build. just a fact.

And no the chalice dungeons are not fun. you're literally crazy. not that your opinion is wrong, it's just, my opinion of your opinion is that its literally crazy. and there is enough factual evidence to sum up why chalice dungeons are just really bad game design as well.

Indeed. Someone who "hates" Chalice Dungeons doesn't really like Bloodborne as much as they say.

This is the one of the most incorrect and bullshit statements I have ever read.

the guys who run This Podcast probably love Bloodborne more than you and I as they dedicate so much time and energy to everything Souls related and Bloodborne related
and even they hate chalice dungeons and pretty much sum up every reason why they are bad.

I link this podcast often because not only is it a great podcast that talks in depth about bloodborne and souls games but, I remember listening to this and feeling as if everything they were saying was literally everything I was thinking while playing Chalice dungeons. They were just spot on.

Seriously, to say you don't like some uninspired cut and paste side bullshit that a developer just throws into a game, means you don't like a game as much is utterly ridiculous.

Just a qoute from that podcast about it which applies "I feel these are objectively poorly designed. Like the game design on display here is bad game design. It's FINE for you to enjoy bad game design, but that doesn't make it Not Bad."

Still, don't do it for lore because there's not much onto it.

Not really arguing that. Because the Sum and whole of Chalice dungeons isn't Depth 5. So giving all of Chalice dungeons a pass because of Depth 5 is BS. It's like a saying a Very bad game is good just because the last level is great. That game is still a bad game as a whole. Same goes for Chalice dungeons. chalice dungeons are utter boring shit until you get to the REAL reason you do chalice dungeons. (depth 5)

lawtowler

Bloodborne was also my first FROM game and I feel the same way about it as OP. What a game. Completely fell in love with it, platinum'd the game and now working on the DS3 plat.

Do people think BB2 is likely? I keep seeing people throw it out there but didn't they say they won't make another Souls-esque game? Surely nobody else could do it...

I don't understand how infinite procedurally generated dungeons with unique enemies and bosses can be a bad thing. The gameplay is so good that I'm glad I don't have to repeat the main game 17 times until I hate it.

also only the Root chalices are procedurally generated.

To get the root chalices you still need to complete the SAME damn boring ass Chalice maps that aren't procedurally generated and you have to recomplete them on every character that you make.

Bloodborne gameplay is so Good, you're right. It's damn good. It's fucking excellent.

But Chalice dungeons are taking that excellent gameplay, and boxing it in while putting a leash on it and applying contradictive gameplay to it, then cutting and pasting it.

Donos

Thing is, one can't really compare playthroughs of different people. Besides the player "skill" a lot depends on the lvl / gems / NG.

When the DLC came out, one guy here live blogged in the DLC thread how he is stomping every boss and it's way to easy. Later it came out that he went into the DLC in NG (NG+ gets a notable difficulty bump, esp. Ludwig) and already was way overleveled and had maxed gear while a lot of us went into the DLC with NG+ / NG++

That said Ludwig and OoK gave me most trouble. Beat OoK when i muted the sound and got really calm. That took all the hectic out of the fight and i dodged almost everything.

Never touched BB again after the platinum trophy (incl. DLC) and then sold it.

Man the DLC was incredible. I don't share everyone's praise for Ludwig tho, I thought it was fun but a bit unfair, I still didn't find it near impossible like the Orphan, that has to be the most brutal boss in any Souls game for me. Him and one of the DLC ones in Dark Souls 2 took me around 30 retries each lol.

I beat Orphan 1st try when I played the DLC blind. (and then I helped hunters to beat him by being summoned) I'm not sure why people find him so difficult to be honest, he clearly telegraphs every single move he does. Is it because his main weapon behaves like a yo-yo?

Ferr986

Not really arguing that. Because the Sum and whole of Chalice dungeons isn't Depth 5. So giving all of Chalice dungeons a pass because of Depth 5 is BS. It's like a saying a Very bad game is good just because the last level is great. That game is still a bad game as a whole. Same goes for Chalice dungeons. chalice dungeons are utter boring shit until you get to the REAL reason you do chalice dungeons. (depth 5)

Not the same because the problem of Chalices is not the concept but some of it's implementation.

The analogy with a bad game doesn't work because unlike a bad game chalices have good gameplay and enemies.

The only problem with Chalice dungeons is that there are too much unnecesary Depths. They should have been endgame only. Make them only 1-2 depths at most, and always root based for BB2/DS4 (I don't think neither will ever happen) and problem solved.

Top Bottom