• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Bloodborne and The Old Hunters DLC (UNMARKED SPOILERS)

Son Of D

Making this thread just as the credits start rolling. This is my first Souls-esque game I've played. I did actually play a bit of Bloodborne at a friends last year not long after launch but I was terrible (couldn't even get to Cleric Beast). Bought the GotY Edition in April but stopped playing for a while due to university and other games. Finished it today.

I went into this game blind with the exception of one boss that's still quite early game (Vicar Amelia). What drew me to the game was the Victorian setting which appeals to me more than the Medieval setting of the Souls games (although I am going to play them at some point). I had no idea it was going to go Lovecraftian Cosmic Horror but honestly that didn't ruin it for me, in fact I enjoyed it more since Cosmic Horror is also something that interests me. I did think it was weird when I first saw the Celestial Mob enemy in Forbidden Woods. Caught me by surprise a lot there.

At first I had the mindset of playing this like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta so I was too aggressive and died a few times by making mistakes. One quick lesson in being patient and I was able to take my time in battles. Once I had done that I learned to appreciate the combat more and get more out of the game. Always did enjoy the feeling of a successful parry into a visceral attack.

The atmosphere of the game was great and honestly had me tense at times, most notably in the Forbidden Woods and Nightmare of Mensis. The music really helped with that as well; Yahar'Gul's theme (before the red moon) was haunting, Rom's battle theme was quite melancholic, Mergo's Wet Nurse theme being a lullaby was creepy (more on this later). Overall just a great soundtrack which really added to the tone and atmosphere.

Boss battles ranged from okay to fantastic. Really enjoyed the battles against Father Gascoigne, Gehrman and Maria from the DLC. My favourite is definitely Maria though, wanted to fight her again immediately after winning. Some bosses were basic for me, such as Rom and Amygdala which were annoyances but nothing too special in my opinion. Least favourite boss is probably Celestial Emissary since it just underwhelmed me and feels kinda rushed in that it's just a larger version of enemies I've already fought against.

Now onto the DLC. I started it before fighting the Wet Nurse but finished it only a few days ago. Was challenging throughout and very few moments were an annoyance to me. I did get annoyed in the Research Hall but that was my fault for getting annoyed after deaths and trying to rush back and failing (you'd have thought by that point I would have not be getting annoyed at deaths but nope, still happened). Can't say I was a fan of fighting Laurence either, the small(ish) arena plus the camera made it more of a nuisance than anything. And the Living Failures was a quick stop-gap before Maria and nothing too special either. But overall it had some great bosses (and my favourite boss in the game in Maria) ending with an intense battle against Orphan of Kos, who killed me more than any other boss. Also fuck those fish giants down the well. They hit extremely hard but thankfully I was able to hit one with a Shaman Bone Blade to turn them against each other before I killed the winner.

Story wise I did spend time reading item descriptions and listening to NPC dialogue to get some lore and I like the world they built with the game. Would definitely like From to revisit it in a sequel to see where they can take the concepts. I do have some questions though on stuff I might have missed around the end of the game:

1) Why is there a chest with Iosefka's Blood Vial inside before the Wet Nurse Battle? I'm not sure if I missed something but did she have a connection with Mensis?

2) In front of the elevator that took me to where the Wet Nurse was there was a woman in white crying? Am I right to assume that's Mergo's mother?

3) Mergo's Lullaby is the same song that's in the Music Box Gascoigne's daughter gives you. Is the lullaby something that is widely known that originated in Mensis or is there a connection between Father G and Mergo?

Overall though I had a great time with this game and will eventually get the other endings (I found the umbilical cords and defeated Moon Presence before turning into an infant Great One) and get the Platinum. Not to mention finish the Chalice Dungeons (most recently made the Cursed and Defiled dungeon). Also I hate spiders, damn things in Chalice Dungeons kept swarming me so there were many times where I just dashed through rooms to kill bell maidens.

Tied with Bayonetta 2 as my game of this generation which is mighty high praise considering I love the action games like DMC and Bayonetta. I probably missed something in my rambling so feel free to ask my thoughts on particular moments.

The woman in front of the Wet Nurse is Queen Yharnam who you will only get lore about if you spend an ungodly amount of time in the Chalice Dungeons despite her story being essential to understanding it as a whole. The "Shadows of Yharnam" actually shadow her and not the city.

In fact a lot of lore is about the Chalices. There was an old society underground who met the Great Ones first. Mergo is the byproduct of alien inception with Queen Yjarnam. The surrogate spoken about in item descriptions.

A top 5, or maybe top 3 game for me. Goddamn it's pitch perfect. No idea about that Iosefska vial though. Hurumph for no more DLC. Here's to hoping for a sequel.

Jamesways

I just did the DLC as well last week. Never did it when it first dropped.
I found the Research Hall to be pretty unsettling, not exactly sure why, but everytime I stopped playing in that area I was uneasy.

I LOVE this game. I'm a huge fan of DS1 and DS3, but I love the lore and combat of this even better. The cosmic horror angle is fantastic and pulling the fishing hamlet straight from Shadow Over Innsmouth was awesome. Orphan of Kos was one of the toughest souls bosses in all the games IMO. I just love how weird this game is.

I just started another run in NG+, it's so much fun this time around. Plus, gives me a chance to do things a little different as far as quests than I did the previous run through.

Chalice Dungeons though, not a huge fan. Went through about 2/3 of them, and don't have a real desire to finish them right now.

Nev

Banned
I don't get the hate for Living Failures. I thought it was one of the most enjoyable boss fights in the game. Of course it isn't as spectacular or flashy as others like Maria, but I think it's greatly designed and I even liked it a bit more than Maria.

I don't get the hate for Living Failures. I thought it was one of the most enjoyable boss fights in the game. Of course it isn't as spectacular or flashy as others like Maria, but I think it's greatly designed and I even liked it a bit more than Maria.

Yeah, it's a great boss battle.

Better than Lady Maria though? That's madness!

Maria is my favorite FROM Software boss, period.

dralla

It's a pretty boring fight although cool to look at when the meteors start falling. I consider it more of a sub boss to the real boss, Maria. Just like Celestial Emmisary is a sub boss to Ebretias

Jamesways

Of all the games, my is the Dancer of the Valley in DS3.
From the style alone. Great music too.

BB had some real good ones.

Lady Maria is the coolest character, but Orphan of Kos the most badass fight. The way he moves, damn.

But man, all the fights in the DLC are so good, even though Ludwig and Laurence were a pain in the ass on NG++.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
My favourite Souls game, if not one of my favourite games, period. It takes all the systems they'd developed in the series and then subverts and streamlines them to near perfection. I'll be coming back to this for a long time to come.

He was easy tho

tuxzux.jpg

Bosses in BB are very much YMMV, I took down Ludwig in 4 tries after coming off a 2 month sabbatical. Haven't faced any of the other 4 OH bosses, but I'm sure I'll probably get stuck on one or more of them eventually. Currently making my way through the Research Hall.

Son Of D

It's a pretty boring fight although cool to look at when the meteors start falling. I consider it more of a sub boss to the real boss, Maria. Just like Celestial Emmisary is a sub boss to Ebretias

That's a good way of looking at it actually. Just a quick stop to reward you at the end of the area before the main attraction. I did die to Living Failures though, the meteors really caught me off guard intially.

Funny, everyone says Ludwig is the hardest DLC boss and he only took me a couple tries. I got OoK down to a sliver of health on my first try (that beginner confidence tho) but got greedy, and it probably took me another 20-30 tries to actually beat him.

Exactly how it went for me. Well maybe not that many attempts but OoK really got me to up my game. Surprised I won when I did since I had forgot to change my runes from some gem farming I was doing beforehand.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Currently going through the DLC myself and I'm stuck on Lady Maria, probably because I did a dumb Arcane build just to use all the spells (40 Arcane was a mistake, it's nothing but trash). It feels like I've hit a brick wall so I decided to start a new playthrough to do a proper strength/agility build.

Despera

Banned
He was easy tho
I played the DLC in NG+3 with a character more suited for NG+, and OoK was the one boss I actually had trouble with.

At least the fight against Laurence becomes a cakewalk in the 2nd half when he loses his legs. OoK though... he simply wouldn't stand still for 99% of the fight. Chilling is a foreign concept to him. Loved the fight to bits though.

Still, Ludwig and Maria are the true highlights of the DLC. Ludwig in particular is probably the best boss fight I ever experienced in a game. The music and the way it shifts in the 2nd half, Ludwig's design and the contrast between his 1st and 2nd phase, the amazing transition cutscene, his backstory... and the introduction of BB's version of fan favourite Moonlight Sword...

Chills I tell you.

Flipyap

Currently going through the DLC myself and I'm stuck on Lady Maria, probably because I did a dumb Arcane build just to use all the spells (40 Arcane was a mistake, it's nothing but trash). It feels like I've hit a brick wall so I decided to start a new playthrough to do a proper strength/agility build.
What weapon did you use? My Arcane character's Holy Moonlight Sword melted Maria.
Arcane isn't bad as long as you're okay with limiting your weapon choices to the two Ludwig swords.

Zukuu

Banned
The camera is the hardest boss in the game, hand's down. I killed Maria and Ludwig on first try, despite the latter having some camera problems. Died like 3 times to Laurence, SOLELY because of the camera. Why the fuck do they need to make it in such a small area? If you are even remotely close to a wall and he is around, you see NOTHING BUT FUR. It was so frustrating, since he is so easy too. I got so fed up, that I refused to steer away from the middle, even tho that dragged the boss fight on forever - that's how bad the camera is in that encounter.

Living Failures is a gimmick fight in my book. Once you know the gimmick they are free. 2nd try.

Orphan is the only legitimately boss that is somewhat challenging, even tho he is not too hard either. He has a very cheap attack tho and his recovery makes using some weapons nigh impossible. He is a perfect example of a "regular fight", tweaked to be hard, instead of being designed to be hard. Also has a few camera irks.

Overall, the DLC was kinda average. I liked the first level, but that's about it. Hated the later levels and didn't care for those in between. Kinda disappointed overall, but Bloodborne is hands down the worst Soulsborne imo.

Did any of you had trouble with Moon presence? I admit I did level up a lot on my first playthrough. I always grind a few levels before fighting a boss. My strategy usually revolves around dying a few times to get enemy patterns down, I attempt dashing during enemy attacks to see when I'm invicible and lastly get the best possible armor set for the fight ( in the grand scheme of things it matters little but every bit of help is much appreciated)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
What weapon did you use? My Arcane character's Holy Moonlight Sword melted Maria.
Arcane isn't bad as long as you're okay with limiting your weapon choices to the two Ludwig swords.

I have the threaded cane and boom hammer powered up. Dont have enough shards to upgrade the moonlight sword. If I can somehow upgrade it to do more damage that's be great.

Toxi

Banned
Orphan is the only legitimately boss that is somewhat challenging, even tho he is not too hard either. He has a very cheap attack tho and his recovery makes using some weapons nigh impossible. He is a perfect example of a "regular fight", tweaked to be hard, instead of being designed to be hard. Also has a few camera irks.
LOL no

Orphan has plenty of opportunities to attack him with the slowest weapons in the game. It's possible to beat him entirely with charged attack backstabs for crying out loud.

Opa-Pa

Good to see you enjoyed it that much OP, it really is an incredible game. And it's cool that you enjoyed the story and took the time to read item descriptions and all despite being your first Souls game, the lore in Bloodborne is wonderful.

I'm not completely sure about the Iosefka's blood thing, but since it's right before the end of the game, maybe it's to imply what happened to her and indirectly get you to try to get inside the clinic before completing the game?

Man the DLC was incredible. I don't share everyone's praise for Ludwig tho, I thought it was fun but a bit unfair, I still didn't find it near impossible like the Orphan, that has to be the most brutal boss in any Souls game for me. Him and one of the DLC ones in Dark Souls 2 took me around 30 retries each lol.
Did any of you had trouble with Moon presence? I admit I did level up a lot on my first playthrough. I always grind a few levels before fighting a boss. My strategy usually revolves around dying a few times to get enemy patterns down, I attempt dashing during enemy attacks to see when I'm invicible and lastly get the best possible armor set for the fight ( in the grand scheme of things it matters little but every bit of help is much appreciated)
I thought it was the easiest boss in the game lol, but I did beat the DLC on my first run, so maybe I was overleveled? I seriously beat it on my first try without getting hit more than a couple of times, so I can't really remember how I beat it.

silva1991

Orphan is the only boss I couldn't beat on BL4.....

his RNG is so random and it's making practicing his moveset annoying.

Clipjoint

Not to thread hijack, but I beat this a while ago and haven't played the DLC yet.

Am I better off starting a new build to get to the DLC point, or continuing with what I have through NG+?

silva1991

Not to thread hijack, but I beat this a while ago and haven't played the DLC yet.

Am I better off starting a new build to get to the DLC point, or continuing with what I have through NG+?

It depends on how hard/easy the base game was for you

if the base game was too easy I suggest NG+

if it was hard then NG+ might be a nightmare for you.

Sometimes you gotta rush that shit down.

I can't rush a boss when I'm nervous

and on BL4 he can kill me with 1-2 hits >.>

I coasted through BB, finding it the easiest Soulsborne and when DLC came out I did it on NG1.
It destroyed me, especially the first boss.
So it depends on how well you went through the main game but be prepared for a step up.

horkrux

Man the DLC was incredible. I don't share everyone's praise for Ludwig tho, I thought it was fun but a bit unfair, I still didn't find it near impossible like the Orphan, that has to be the most brutal boss in any Souls game for me.

Unfair? Hard, but definitely not unfair. You can properly learn all his moves and have a great time with him. Ebrietas is what I would call borderline unfair. Unless your spacing is perfect there is just no dodging that charge.

Opa-Pa

Unfair? Hard, but definitely not unfair. You can properly learn all his moves and have a great time with him. Ebrietas is what I would call borderline unfair. Unless your spacing is perfect there is just no dodging that charge.
See this game is weird because lots of stuff I read about the bosses differ a lot from person to person. Maybe it was wrong to use 'unfair' but I felt like he hit way too hard and was too fast so there was 0 room for error. I think I had to get hit only twice to manage to beat him.

And yet I one-shot Ebrietas lol. I love this game.

horkrux

I also felt he was too hard, but I was relatively underleveled on NG+2 first time I played the DLC, so my opinion might be off. But from a mechanical standpoint it was a nice fight. No bullshit to put up with :) Git gud and you will prevail.

nym

Neo Member
Man this makes me want to go back even though I got all the trophies for the base game and the DLC. I just want to run around in that world. Is there still an active community for this game, or did the player base move on to DS3?

Son Of D

Man this makes me want to go back even though I got all the trophies for the base game and the DLC. I just want to run around in that world. Is there still an active community for this game, or did the player base move on to DS3?

During my playthrough I did get some invasions in some of the later areas. Especially at Mergo's Loft: Middle with some at Nightmare Frontier.

Incredible game. Brought me into the Souls series and actually changed the way I look at and play games.

I still need to platinum it. That special home menu theme isn't still given out to people who get platinum, is it?

Ludwig, guys, fuck Luwig and his awesome second phase.
Story wise I did spend time reading item descriptions and listening to NPC dialogue to get some lore and I like the world they built with the game. Would definitely like From to revisit it in a sequel to see where they can take the concepts. I do have some questions though on stuff I might have missed around the end of the game:

1) Why is there a chest with Iosefka's Blood Vial inside before the Wet Nurse Battle? I'm not sure if I missed something but did she have a connection with Mensis?

2) In front of the elevator that took me to where the Wet Nurse was there was a woman in white crying? Am I right to assume that's Mergo's mother?

3) Mergo's Lullaby is the same song that's in the Music Box Gascoigne's daughter gives you. Is the lullaby something that is widely known that originated in Mensis or is there a connection between Father G and Mergo?

1.- Because Iosefka (and her impostor) worked alonside the church, the sample you found there confirms all the factions are tied to the original church who later divided into mensis, choir, healing and bryenwerth

2.- The ghostly girl is actually Queen Yharman the queen of the phumerians, The town of Yharman in named on her name. Yharman was built above the phumerian empire and the chalices you found are keys to enter the the catacombs where Phumeru is located.

There is some speculation about Oedon is the father and the baby was stripped from her whomb.

3.- The llulaby is more like a folklore song in Yharman to calm children, maybe since ancient times

Ducktail

He's the hardest boss in the game. It's the fastest one, the more agressive, and the one with the biggest HP pool.

If he's easy for you then everything in BB is easy too.

This is not true at all. People have different play styles that acommodate to different bosses. I beat him on my first try and I found all of his moves easy to read and dodge.

Then I got to Laurence and I just couldn't kill him even after 10 tries. The way he moves and his attacks just were not suited to my play style.

Jamesways

I'm the same as someone above said. Ludwig, 2 attempts, hell even Chalice Dungeon ROM, 2 attempts. OoK however, about 20. Thank god the shortcut was a quick, straight run back.

So far on NG+ I'm just cruising through bosses. Strangely enough Paarl gave me a bit of trouble this time. I think I went in overconfident since I breezed through her the first time.

Very true on YMMV on Souls bosses.

I never summoned for bosses in BB, and beat bosses in DS1 and 3 solo. Except fucking Nameless King, never could beat him solo.

For me, Manus, Nameless King, and OoK were the hardest bosses.

Toxi

Banned
Yeah in such specific moments, which you have to anticipate and stand correctly. It's impossible to hit him without getting hit with most weapons after he does a normal flail attack.
Unless your weapon is slower than a charged bare fist swing, it's perfectly possible to have lots of opportunities. The key is to know when he's vulnerable and when he's not, which you learn by fighting the boss.

In the second phase, his attacks on the ground have very little tracking, so just circling around him is a good way to avoid them.

Yes, he's really fucking hard. He's arguably harder than any Souls boss. But he's 100% fair.

Top Bottom