• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Low Roar didn't know its music would be used for Death Stranding, but it saved the band from the gutter

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

One of the bands Kojima Productions used for Death Stranding’s soundtrack is Low Roar, a post-rock group with an American frontman, based out of Reykjavík, Iceland. Before Death Stranding, the band wasn’t in a good place, and much of the music was recorded on a laptop in lead singer Ryan Karazija’s kitchen.

When Karazija first got the call for Low Roar’s music to be used, he had no idea of what impact it was about to have on the band’s status.

“Sony contacted us in an obscure email offering us a certain amount of money to use the song ‘I’ll Keep Coming’, and they were not willing to tell us what they’re going to use the song for,” he told me over email. “At that time we were in a gutter so we accepted it. And it turned out it was for Death Stranding.”

From that iconic first trailer featuring a naked Norman Reedus at the beach with some dead crabs and a baby, the band started growing in popularity.

You only have to look at the comments on their songs on YouTube to see how much of an impact Kojima’s game has had – thousands and thousands of messages from fans of the games, now all connected by their shared love for the game’s music as well as the game itself.

The band hasn’t had chance to play the game for themselves, however, as they’ve been busy making the most of this new wave of fans, getting out there and playing music on the touring circuit.

But what about that one fan – the one who made all of this possible in the first place? “We had dinner twice,” Karazija explained of his experiences with game director Hideo Kojima. “He’s a lovely man.”

Great band. See them live if they hit up your area!

Contextually for the game the music was great, and I don't mean contextually as if it related but more in the fact that it was tied to the game. Having said that the music agnostic of the game isn't anything great, I wouldn't listen to it, it's nothing special.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Never heard of them before death stranding.
I like that one song..

Loads of bleeps&bloops

MrJTeera

Really love this track when it first appeared and when someone put it in structures near cool scenery after.

Dacon

Banned
We get it, some of you didn't like the game, Jesus.

I caught Low Roar live here a couple of years ago. Highly recommend. They're phenomenal live.

People on this board feel the need to remind people how much they hated a game in every thread involving said game, some even going so far as to demean those who did enjoy it as if their own personal opinion is the objective standard of quality. You learn to ignore them.

Low Roar's music is what initially grabbed my interest in Death Stranding. I'll form my own opinion on the game when it launched on pc later this year.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
People on this board feel the need to remind people how much they hated a game in every thread involving said game, some even going so far as to demean those who did enjoy it as if their own personal opinion is the objective standard of quality. You learn to ignore them.

Low Roar's music is what initially grabbed my interest in Death Stranding. I'll form my own opinion on the game when it launched on pc later this year.
I love DS. Not the game but the reactions around it!

Trimesh

Banned
Music belongs in the gutter. Some of the most generic shit I've ever heard. Whispery pop bs.

I'm wondering if there is anything at all you actually like? Based on your posts on this board, you define yourself pretty much entirely by the things you despise. And there are a LOT of them.

ethomaz

Banned

The most shocking fact is that they hate the game without ever play it.

Kojima hate in forum is really a thing.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
awesome stuff. they really were the perfect match for the game. the moment "Don't Be So Serious" started playing i knew i was in for a magical time...

imsosleepy

oh man the music really was one of the highlights in the game for me for sure!
When did a hard piece of the game and at the perfect timing that music starts playing.. my god it felt so epic

DonF

I feel the music fit the game perfectly and set a really cool mood, but I would not listen the music on my own while at work or on my commute.

Terenty

I didnt know anything about the band before DS, but it just shows how backwards a lot of the things in the society are, when shitton of crappy "music" is being rotated 24/7 and has millions of views on youtube, while talents like Ryan Karazija from Low Roar are nowhere to be seen or heard.

Just listen to these beautiful pieces, the man is a genius songwriter no less imho.

And there is lots more great songs throughout his discography. The most impressive thing is there's almost no filler on Low Roar's four albums.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Oh for sure, with Death Stranding it's been excessive though. Honestly pretty sad and seemingly exhausting. Lmao.

Ditto! I was intrigued by the look of the world and universe, along with the music bringing it all together. I'll Keep Coming and Easy Way Out were getting jammed like crazy.

When they came through a part of me was like, "Nah, I only know those two songs, it'd feel weird going." I go to live shows all the time, but I wouldn't normally see a band that I'm not uber into. But I really loved the songs I heard, and I knew they were from over seas and didn't know when is have another opportunity. I'mm really, really glad I decided to go. After that show I definitely was a fan of their stuff.

mortal

Gold Member
I'm very pleased to hear that. I've become a fan ever since that very first announcement trailer.

SCB3

The music in Death Stranding was really fitting and I loved when it kicked in on the long trips (it also let you focus on getting there rather than Avoiding shit tier BT's, go that was such a pain at times)

cireza

Here, take these 1000$ and let us use your music however we want. You don't need to know that it is a big AAA project marketed to death.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Sad as fuck story. Hope these guys end up okay when it's time for them to go find real jobs.
Sad? This gave them a ton of exposure and new fans
The band hasn’t had chance to play the game for themselves, however, as they’ve been busy making the most of this new wave of fans, getting out there and playing music on the touring circuit.
Not sure what is sad about any of this. Obscure band on its way out getting money and exposure, seems like a win.

Last edited:
I didnt know anything about the band before DS, but it just shows how backwards a lot of the things in the society are, when shitton of crappy "music" is being rotated 24/7 and has millions of views on youtube, while talents like Ryan Karazija from Low Roar are nowhere to be seen or heard.

Just listen to these beautiful pieces, the man is a genius songwriter no less imho.

And there is lots more great songs throughout his discography. The most impressive thing is there's almost no filler on Low Roar's four albums.

this says a lot about our society

Thabass

And it's probably because Kojima specifically wanted it for his game more than likely. Kojima is the man.

Elios83

Well they make great music, I didn't know them before DS so it's nice that a game was able to do give them recognition.

ROMhack

Hmm so far the music hasn't been vibing much for me. Hopefully it'll grow on me as I get a bit further in.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
its a nice mix of electro & acoustics IMO. it really matches the atmosphere perfectly. you can just picture a foggy field or hillside when you hear their music.

the R1 scanner sends out this really nice topographical hologram display of the landscape whenever you press it, leaving behind some neat AR markers here and there. underneath all that digital display is this rolling, realistic looking natural landscape. the music perfectly fits with the way all this comes across, the visual experience, as well as the pacing of it all. it has the perfect kind of futurism that is rooted in a detached but grounded humanity.

Top Bottom