• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Look at this image and tell me this isn't the best party you've seen in a long time for a JRPG

Fbh

For an anime style JRPG it's actually not bad:
- No children
- No highschool students
-No annoying "cute" mascot
-I think (not 100% sure) no annoying girl constantly screaming in a high pitched voice.

That's already better than 90% of modern anime style JRPG's

CGiRanger

Banned
As far as Tales designs go it's not bad. But definitely not that great when all JRPG's are considered.

I really hope the Demons in SMTV will have personality and characters to them as your party members. That'd make for a great unique party. What do you think, would that happen in this series as a fan Danjin44 Danjin44 ?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
As far as Tales designs go it's not bad. But definitely not that great when all JRPG's are considered.

I really hope the Demons in SMTV will have personality and characters to them as your party members. That'd make for a great unique party. What do you think, would that happen in this series as a fan Danjin44 Danjin44 ?
The thing is in SMT, you fuse Demons consistently to create more powerful Demons, it’s hard to give them big personalities when you gonna fuse them later on.

with that being said, these two seems have much more personality than most other Demons.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
The thing is in SMT, you fuse Demons consistently to create more powerful Demons, it’s hard to give them big personalities when you gonna fuse them later on.

with that being said, these two seems have much more personality than most other Demons.

Ah yeah, I guess. Maybe they could work around that if fusing certain demons makes them more powerful with slightly altered appearance or such. But yeah, I see what you mean how the series does seem to be about fusing and creating. Hopefully though the personalities shown will end up being more long-lasting than just a scene or two.

Shifty1897

Now that you mention it, there are no child or half naked or ridiculously proportioned female characters for the first time since... Wild Arms?

Okay OP, you got me. This might be the best JRPG party in a long time.

Varteras

Gold Member
Them cheeks on the left though....
Anthony Anderson Abc GIF by HULU

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I think this and Scarlet Nexus are contenders for best looking anime asthetic game ever made.

Especially jrpgs which have aside from SE titles looked like dog shit forever.

I'm Def. Getting the game day one

tmlDan

Honestly, I think it looks fantastic and the character designs are actually unique compared to most JRPG's.

I'll likely preorder it soon!

Shubh_C63

The classic JRPG cover of cramming all characters in one screen automatically makes it boring to me.
Don't know about the game itself but dear god anime games are hard to sit through...except Persona 5.

cireza

It looks pretty good. Reminds me to some extent of the diversity of characters we had in Shining Force games.

Generic jrpg party from the looks of it. Did you play the game? Did not think so.

Heres the actual top so far:

Persona-5-Royal.jpg

cgamefotoYakuza-Like-A-Dragon-via-Sega-1-840x480.jpg

Doubt it'll beat these two.
I didn't play Persona 5 Crimson or whatever the definitive version was calore, but I round the cast of 5 mese interesting then both 3 and 4, personaliy . I agree completely on Yakuza, like a dragon The cast Is One of my favorite things in that game. I'm fairly excited for Tale of Aride, but, at least for the moment, the cast Is not the reason : seems fine but pretty standard

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
10) Shining Tears - Even though I didn't care for each character's personality all that much, what I really liked about this game was that almost all the characters had strong ties to the plot. Each character had a good reason to be in the game and there were scenarios throughout the entire game where certain characters would become the focus, making them relevant throughout the plot.

9) Trails in the Sky 3rd - I liked that the focus on the entire game was on Kevin and Ries with the other characters playing support to them. I found their story much more interesting than Estelle's and Joshua's, and it was nice to see how the new/rarely playable characters interacted and played off the others.

8) Final Fantasy VIII - This party wasn't the best developed ever, but I still enjoyed each character's distinct personality and their interactions. The party also felt a bit more grounded/realistic than other parties so I enjoyed that element of their characters.

7) Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits - There are 2 different parties in this game, and both play off of each other well. I love the duality between each cast and how they turn from being bitter rivals, to becoming more understanding of each other.

6) Xenosaga - You spent 3 games with these guys. It was hard not to get attached to them, at least for me. They were a well-developed, grounded cast and even though chaos and Ziggy didn't have a lot of screen time, none of them felt superfluous either.

5) NieR - Fantastic set of characters. This party was small, but they all felt important to the plot and they felt pretty offbeat compared to typical JRPG parties.

4) Persona 1 - I like that these guys weren't super buddy-buddy with each other like the other installments and still teased/criticized each other quite regularly. I also like that most of the characters don't have their entire backstories and lives explicitly mentioned to the player and that you have to talk to them and other NPCs regularly in safe areas to understand their thought processes and lives.

3) Baten Kaitos Origins - A very well-done party, IMO. Each character has a strong personality and plays off of each other well. They all have scenarios in the story where they're the most prominent character and they all have strong ties to the main plot.

2) Suikoden III - You have 3 main characters with an extra 4th, and each have their own specific party members with their own unique interactions and quirks. If I had to choose one, however, it'd easily have to be Geddoe's party. Ace and Joker's dynamic are one of my most favorites in all of the JRPGs I've played, Jacques' infatuation with Aila is downright adorable, and Queen's sarcasm and biting remarks work surprisingly well with all the party members. The weak link has to be Geddoe, but the rest of his team more than makes up for his drynes

1 - Koudelka - Easily my most favorite JPRG party. The party members in Koudleka are fairly mature and grounded and have a sense of realism most JRPG characters don't. They're all well written and each character has a good reason to be in Nemeaton. You also see many sides to each character, and their interactions pretty much make the game, IMO.

Top Bottom