• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LMAO I bought a physical copy of Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate for the PS5 yesterday and oh boy LOL

First of all, when you open your copy, you are greeted with a disk and a small voucher. No problem, probably some pre-order bonuses like a skin or 2, etc. You then insert the disk on the PS5 and then the installation begins. Geez, the installation is rather quick! You then start the game and are greeted by the splash screen! FUCK YEAH, MK11 ULTIMATE! Bring it on! Now, you navigate the game and then -oh wait what's going on? Everything seems to be greyed out. Only local play seems to be allowed and then when you pick up that option, you only have access to 10 characters or so. Now, I must admit, I already owned MK11 before so I knew what was happening. In fact, the game is installed, but not really. It truly is only partially installed. You need to wait about 30 minutes to let the game install everything. No biggie, I just ended up doing some local matches with the roaster I was allowed to use.

First disappointment for me. The intros/fatal blows/outros are still running at 30 fps, unlike the PC version which runs those at 60 fps. It's a bit bullshit to me, but you know, ohhhhhhhhkay, I'll deal with it. Other than that, the gameplay appears to be running at a locked 4K60 with maxed out settings for PC equivalent port, which is impressive by itself. Okay, I've been playing for nearly an hour, yup, the game is done installing. I'll just reboot the game. Done. Cool splash screen again. Ok there you go., Everything seems to be unlocked now. That's great. I'll just do a klassic tower this time. Let's go with Rambo----wait what the fuck? He's locked? How is that possible? Wait what I have to pay for him? Is this a fucking joke? Don't tell me I have to ----- *looks at the voucher in the box* ----- Yep, it's a fucking DLC voucher needed to access both Kombat Pass contents as well as the Aftermath Xpac + Characters. How is this shit even fucking possible? I thought the PS5 only had a single SKU for physical copies? *searches online quickly* Yep, doesn't seem like there is another SKU available, a standard version if you would like. Even more surprising, you are literally greeted by a MK11 Ultimate splash screen when you install the game first, without the voucher, without any patch downloaded yet. My god...

I mean, I do have access to all the content once I punched the DLC code. I'm just really disappointed that not all the content is on disk. If it was space issue, they could have included a second disk, or merely add a mandatory patch needed to download first that contain the rest of the game. I don't know, I just feel like Netherealm / WB tried to return to the online pass era with this bullshit.

Fun anecdote here, once you punch in the DLC code, you must suffer through 30+ pop-ups telling you each and every item items being part of this DLC code is now part being downloaded, and another 30+ pop-ups telling you it's now ready to be used, and it all goes in very quick succession since punching this DLC code doesn't actually download anything substantial, no it's pretty much only used as an activation key. That DLC code downloads maybe 50mb of data all combined? So yeah, prepare for a symphony of pop-up.

What's annoying here is, I've heard the PS4 version of the ultimate collection comes with 2 disks, and that the Xbox version of Ultimate doesn't include a DLC voucher either. DLC voucher exclusive to PS5 baby. Another superior version right there.

Dj Khaled And Another One GIF

Sorry for my rambling, just needed to vent a bit lol

Now I'm off to play the game anyway :)

The PS4 version has all the content on the disc and has a free upgrade for the PS5 version. In terms of physical releases the PS4 version is superior to the PS5 version.

Idk why they did it like this, every complete edition that Netherrealm has released has had all the content on the disc except this PS5 release of MK11.

If you think you're mad now, wait until you see how much space it eats up on that little SSD.

It's installed. I know how much it takes (close to 90GB). Doesn't bother me. I still have fres space available, more than 300gb in fact.
The PS4 version has all the content on the disc and has a free upgrade for the PS5 version. In terms of physical releases the PS4 version is superior to the PS5 version.

Idk why they did it like this, every complete edition that Netherrealm has released has had all the content on the disc except this PS5 release of MK11.

I know right? It's infuriating. If I knew, I woupd have grabbed either the PS4 or the Series X version.
Is there a code that makes it a good fighting game? J\K

It's a great fighter. It's just the Krypt and the items unlock that are some real bullshit.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
This is something I got into in several SF5 threads.
Because the game is "updated" to the newest version, you will always see the newest version of the game, since this is the only way to stay compatible with everyone else. This however doesn't mean the server knows what you are entitled to.
In order to give you a version that has everything "offline", they'd literally have to create a new version of the game that wouldn't be compatible with other people, it would segment you into your own little slice of "offline complete edition" owners, because you are effectively on a different version of the game.

There's probably a way to put a file on the disc that tells the server that you should get everything available, but it either would have to be one use only, or it would become a piracy nightmare. And that still wouldn't give you everything if you are offline the entire time.

Miles708

This is something I got into in several SF5 threads.
Because the game is "updated" to the newest version, you will always see the newest version of the game, since this is the only way to stay compatible with everyone else. This however doesn't mean the server knows what you are entitled to.
In order to give you a version that has everything "offline", they'd literally have to create a new version of the game that wouldn't be compatible with other people, it would segment you into your own little slice of "offline complete edition" owners, because you are effectively on a different version of the game.

There's probably a way to put a file on the disc that tells the server that you should get everything available, but it either would have to be one use only, or it would become a piracy nightmare. And that still wouldn't give you everything if you are offline the entire time.

If you can make crossplay with entire different systems, I will not believe you can't with different SKUs of the same game.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
If you can make crossplay with entire different systems, I will not believe you can't with different SKUs of the same game.
Not really, all those different systems are still playing the same version of the game.
To bring it back to SF5, all versions of SF5 are still communicating to each other and the server as being SF5, SF5 AE an SF5 CE don't really exist to the server, that's just additional data.

If you make a true offline complete version of SF5, the server wouldn't know what to do with it, it wouldn't recognise the fact you have access to all content unless it was told you do. The only way to fix this is to either make a new server, or just have the data on the disc, with a code to tell the server what you can have.

Mokus

Yeah! I was planning to buy the physical version last year for the PlayStation 5. The PS4 version was already out and it was confirmed that DLCs are on the disk(s) although it came on two. Considering Warner Brothers releasing GOTY games with voucher codes for the DLCs, I was happy. I had no worries about the PS5 being any different, especially the next gen Blu-ray disks are 100GB instead of last gens 50GB. I almost ordered it when I decide it to read the reviews on the Amazon page. To my horror people were warning about the voucher code for the DLCs. :messenger_astonished::messenger_pouting: I still haven't bought the game, but I'm considering buying the PS4 version since it's complete and you get PS5 upgrade.

Miles708

Not really, all those different systems are still playing the same version of the game.
To bring it back to SF5, all versions of SF5 are still communicating to each other and the server as being SF5, SF5 AE an SF5 CE don't really exist to the server, that's just additional data.

If you make a true offline complete version of SF5, the server wouldn't know what to do with it, it wouldn't recognise the fact you have access to all content unless it was told you do. The only way to fix this is to either make a new server, or just have the data on the disc, with a code to tell the server what you can have.

What you say makes sense but, really, that sounds like something solvable via programming. There should be a check to insert all content on the disc, while making it appear to the server like a "base version with all unlocked". This case should be expected and worked around.

Again, I refuse to believe this is such an incredible roadblock.

"Laughing my ass off I bought a physical copy of Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate for the PS5 yesterday and oh boy Laughing out loud"

Are you OK?

levyjl1988

Banned
I wonder what's the point of physical these days if you are being locked behind a voucher to obtain content. I guess when you buy used, you still screwed. And when the servers go offline you are still screwed.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
What you say makes sense but, really, that sounds like something solvable via programming. There should be a check to insert all content on the disc, while making it appear to the server like a "base version with all unlocked". This case should be expected and worked around.

Again, I refuse to believe this is such an incredible roadblock.
This can definitely be done, but that opens a vulnerability for free DLC through piracy, so they won't ever do this.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
First of all, when you open your copy, you are greeted with a disk and a small voucher. No problem, probably some pre-order bonuses like a skin or 2, etc. You then insert the disk on the PS5 and then the installation begins. Geez, the installation is rather quick! You then start the game and are greeted by the splash screen! FUCK YEAH, MK11 ULTIMATE! Bring it on! Now, you navigate the game and then -oh wait what's going on? Everything seems to be greyed out. Only local play seems to be allowed and then when you pick up that option, you only have access to 10 characters or so. Now, I must admit, I already owned MK11 before so I knew what was happening. In fact, the game is installed, but not really. It truly is only partially installed. You need to wait about 30 minutes to let the game install everything. No biggie, I just ended up doing some local matches with the roaster I was allowed to use.

First disappointment for me. The intros/fatal blows/outros are still running at 30 fps, unlike the PC version which runs those at 60 fps. It's a bit bullshit to me, but you know, ohhhhhhhhkay, I'll deal with it. Other than that, the gameplay appears to be running at a locked 4K60 with maxed out settings for PC equivalent port, which is impressive by itself. Okay, I've been playing for nearly an hour, yup, the game is done installing. I'll just reboot the game. Done. Cool splash screen again. Ok there you go., Everything seems to be unlocked now. That's great. I'll just do a klassic tower this time. Let's go with Rambo----wait what the fuck? He's locked? How is that possible? Wait what I have to pay for him? Is this a fucking joke? Don't tell me I have to ----- *looks at the voucher in the box* ----- Yep, it's a fucking DLC voucher needed to access both Kombat Pass contents as well as the Aftermath Xpac + Characters. How is this shit even fucking possible? I thought the PS5 only had a single SKU for physical copies? *searches online quickly* Yep, doesn't seem like there is another SKU available, a standard version if you would like. Even more surprising, you are literally greeted by a MK11 Ultimate splash screen when you install the game first, without the voucher, without any patch downloaded yet. My god...

I mean, I do have access to all the content once I punched the DLC code. I'm just really disappointed that not all the content is on disk. If it was space issue, they could have included a second disk, or merely add a mandatory patch needed to download first that contain the rest of the game. I don't know, I just feel like Netherealm / WB tried to return to the online pass era with this bullshit.

Fun anecdote here, once you punch in the DLC code, you must suffer through 30+ pop-ups telling you each and every item items being part of this DLC code is now part being downloaded, and another 30+ pop-ups telling you it's now ready to be used, and it all goes in very quick succession since punching this DLC code doesn't actually download anything substantial, no it's pretty much only used as an activation key. That DLC code downloads maybe 50mb of data all combined? So yeah, prepare for a symphony of pop-up.

What's annoying here is, I've heard the PS4 version of the ultimate collection comes with 2 disks, and that the Xbox version of Ultimate doesn't include a DLC voucher either. DLC voucher exclusive to PS5 baby. Another superior version right there.

Dj Khaled And Another One GIF

Sorry for my rambling, just needed to vent a bit lol

Now I'm off to play the game anyway :)
DLC stands for DOWNLOADABLE content, btw

Last edited:

Miles708

This can definitely be done, but that opens a vulnerability for free DLC through piracy, so they won't ever do this.

There are checks that can be made while on the server, to make sure the SKU is the correct one, or that the online account has all the correct licences for all the content. If not, ban (what already happens really).

If you're talking about offline piracy, that already happens, so i don't see what would be different in that case.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
There are checks that can be made while on the server, to make sure the SKU is the correct one, or that the online account has all the correct licences for all the content. If not, ban (what already happens really).

If you're talking about offline piracy, that already happens, so i don't see what would be different in that case.
The check could only work if the disc has a one time thing that binds all entitlements to the user's account; that's actually not the hard thing to do, since that's piracy proof in terms of DLC. But if the check is some kind of authentication system, then people are going to spoof it.

But neither of those help in the case of making the disc "offline playable", since you'd still have to connect to the server to tell it you own everything. The only way to make a disc that has access to everything, is to make a new version of the game that doesn't require this server connection. This would cause a divide between versions, even patching would have to be done seperately.
For a game that's completely finished updating, I guess they can somehow make it work.

Miles708

The check could only work if the disc has a one time thing that binds all entitlements to the user's account; that's actually not the hard thing to do, since that's piracy proof in terms of DLC. But if the check is some kind of authentication system, then people are going to spoof it.

But neither of those help in the case of making the disc "offline playable", since you'd still have to connect to the server to tell it you own everything. The only way to make a disc that has access to everything, is to make a new version of the game that doesn't require this server connection. This would cause a divide between versions, even patching would have to be done seperately.
For a game that's completely finished updating, I guess they can somehow make it work.

The bolded part is actually quite interesting. I wonder how much actual, additional work would that require, given the versions of the game are, for all intent and purposes, the same. I guess it would be more of a matter of certification rather than actual coding.

The last part of your post I think is kinda the point of the whole thread:
"Complete" editions should come out only after all content/patches/updates came out anyway... otherwise that's not a "complete" edition and we're running in circles, really.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
"Complete" editions should come out only after all content/patches/udates came out... otherwise that's not a "complete" edition and we're running in circles, really.
Maybe for a regular game, but fighting games are always going to have balance changes, or new costumes or additional fighters, until the developer completely drops support and moves on to the next game. So it's not so much about being "complete", but about being "finished".

So until netherrealm annouces MK12, you shouldn't assume MK11U is the "finished edition", heck there was an update a month after release.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Installing this game via the disc was an absolute fucking nightmare on the Series X for me. It looked all installed, nope, most of the DLC didnt show up, it turned into an endless cycle of bullshit

..Then it just worked, then it didnt. Then it did

Load of bollocks.

Installing this game via the disc was an absolute fucking nightmare on the Series X for me. It looked all installed, nope, most of the DLC didnt show up, it turned into an endless cycle of bullshit

..Then it just worked, then it didnt. Then it did

Load of bollocks.
At least on Series X, folks who purchase used games probably have access to the entire game without DLC voucher bullshits.

You need a mod for that on PC. It's always locked to 30 otherwise.
That isn't true. I have the game on PC. You need to go to the PC features tab then enable "Menu and Cinematics 60 fps mode". This will play intros / fatal blows / outros at 60 fps. Here's a picture I just took myself.

rszvHT1.png

"Laughing my ass off I bought a physical copy of Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate for the PS5 yesterday and oh boy Laughing out loud"

Are you OK?

Yeah, I was both a bit shocked while laughing in disbelief when I created this thread. I'm alright now though :)

Last edited:

makaveli60

Yeah! I was planning to buy the physical version last year for the PlayStation 5. The PS4 version was already out and it was confirmed that DLCs are on the disk(s) although it came on two. Considering Warner Brothers releasing GOTY games with voucher codes for the DLCs, I was happy. I had no worries about the PS5 being any different, especially the next gen Blu-ray disks are 100GB instead of last gens 50GB. I almost ordered it when I decide it to read the reviews on the Amazon page. To my horror people were warning about the voucher code for the DLCs. :messenger_astonished::messenger_pouting: I still haven't bought the game, but I'm considering buying the PS4 version since it's complete and you get PS5 upgrade.
But wait a minute. Are you sure you get the dlcs on ps5 as well by using the ps4 disc version? Because I don’t think so. What you play on ps5 is the ps5 version for which you would get a voucher for the dlcs. So my point is that you would still have to buy them separately for ps5, no?

Blond

Banned
Honestly this is why I went digital, so much stuff ends up locked away in the cloud that between install, patch and download times I could just hit the button and be done quicker than it takes to actually install from disc.

I’m not sure I understand did you have to pay more to access the extra stuff that should be part of the game from the start or was it provided in the box with the voucher?

MrMephistoX

It’s not much of a picnic digitally either at least when I bought it I downloaded the PS4 version and had to manually reboot downloads to do the upgrades. Even when all characters were unlocked it was still the PS4 base because I had run out of HDD space and had to move it to my external drive so I could fit it all.

That said all is forgiven because it runs and plays beautifully now. The towers are now addicting and fun especially co-op against cheap ass AI.

Last edited:

sn0man

I feel you OP. As a physical console person, I just always assume I shouldn’t buy a console game at launch. In exchange for waiting I usually get a more complete version. Here NRS/WB are just F’ing over their customers.

I would not be surprised if we see another edition of this game launch in a couple years and it’s 50/50 that version does this crap again.

SCB3

Its worse on Switch, I literally bought it there to play on my Train rides to and from work before the pandemic and only tried once:

• The load times are horrific for a portable
  • The File Size was really large, I just deleted it eventually as I wanted more games on there (I mainly buy digital)
  • The Cart had barely any data on
Its a shame as it is a good game, I was thinking of getting a cheap digital copy for PS5 at some point (I don't have the Disc version) but hearing about how much space it takes up? Nah, I already have that issue with CoD

SJRB

Gold Member
A popup for every item unlocked is a pet peeve of mine.

I reinstalled Ghost Recon Wildlands [or Breakpoint, I'm not even sure] the other day and the amount of popups at the start is just INSANE. It had to a continuous stream for like 5 minutes. What kind of design is this? I'd rather have a popup that said "hey asshole, you spent 100 bucks on this fucking game, press X to see all the worthless garbage items you unlocked".

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

All that Ps4 data is useless unless you want to play that version. The PS5 upgrade would need to be 100% downloaded.

Mokus

But wait a minute. Are you sure you get the dlcs on ps5 as well by using the ps4 disc version? Because I don’t think so. What you play on ps5 is the ps5 version for which you would get a voucher for the dlcs. So my point is that you would still have to buy them separately for ps5, no?
Well... lol! :messenger_grinning_squinting: It's a good question. I have no clue, and now I have to worry about this too. This is showing how badly WB fucked up with this edition.

Don’t fucking buy this game
Fighting games is the genre that got fucked the worst with MTX this gen.

i basically stopped buying fighters..
And i just rent them instead
I actually still enjoy most fighting games, but imo microtransactions and DLC DESTROYED fighting games for me and changed them to glorified, overpriced service games. DLC imho is the worst thing to happen to fighting games by far.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Yep, I got burnt originally buying a used copy of the PS5 disc version. Guy said some cosmetic DLC was used and I thought ok no worries, it's still MK11 Ultimate so it is meant to include all characters and aftermath story as standard but nope, code was used and I got shafted.. I ended up on selling it luckily and buying the digital version when it was on sale.

They did this so that if you do resell it, the next person has to pay for that content. It's a very smart move and also very anti consumer! It's purely a sales tactic, not laziness.

The worst part is, they advertise the Aftermath and additional characters content on the case like its on the disc.. It's completely shameful and not sure why this has not been made a bigger deal out of already.

Last edited:
didn't they do the same mickey mouse shit with Injustice 1 ultimate edition, wait there was just no digital version of I:UE on xbox. Yea, they gave out Injustice for free last year and xbox users had to buy a season pass while ps+ users got ultimate because there is no ultimate edition on the xbox store.

Top Bottom