• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LMAO I bought a physical copy of Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate for the PS5 yesterday and oh boy LOL

Yagami_Sama

And I was thinking that this kind of thing, was Switch only. I mean, last update I needed to download the 22GB, and when the game updates, it download the double of data.
Borderland, Bioshock and Xcom were also massive download which I wondered what was on the gamecard.

Keihart

Maybe for a regular game, but fighting games are always going to have balance changes, or new costumes or additional fighters, until the developer completely drops support and moves on to the next game. So it's not so much about being "complete", but about being "finished".

So until netherrealm annouces MK12, you shouldn't assume MK11U is the "finished edition", heck there was an update a month after release.
You are tripping, there is now need to have the last patch to have a version of the game with all the content on disc. It's been done several times before with other fighting games. They just need to require the update patch for online and that's it, unless the physical release came out before the content was available.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
You are tripping, there is now need to have the last patch to have a version of the game with all the content on disc. It's been done several times before with other fighting games. They just need to require the update patch for online and that's it, unless the physical release came out before the content was available.
What other fighting games?

makaveli60

Well... lol! :messenger_grinning_squinting: It's a good question. I have no clue, and now I have to worry about this too. This is showing how badly WB fucked up with this edition.
So I did some research. The most important point is that there is no possibility to have a version for ps5 that has the dlcs on disc. Even if you buy the ps4 ultimate disc version, it comes with a code for the dlcs for the upgraded ps5 version. So if you plan to buy a used ps4 copy you have to be sure that the owner has not used the code that comes with it, othetwise you will have to buy the ultimate upgrades for ps5 on the ps store.

Yep, I got burnt originally buying a used copy of the PS5 disc version. Guy said some cosmetic DLC was used and I thought ok no worries, it's still MK11 Ultimate so it is meant to include all characters and aftermath story as standard but nope, code was used and I got shafted.. I ended up on selling it luckily and buying the digital version when it was on sale.

They did this so that if you do resell it, the next person has to pay for that content. It's a very smart move and also very anti consumer! It's purely a sales tactic, not laziness.

The worst part is, they advertise the Aftermath and additional characters content on the case like its on the disc.. It's completely shameful and not sure why this has not been made a bigger deal out of already.
What I was thinking. Sounds like some scummy way to make money off the used market.

Mokus

So I did some research. The most important point is that there is no possibility to have a version for ps5 that has the dlcs on disc. Even if you buy the ps4 ultimate disc version, it comes with a code for the dlcs for the upgraded ps5 version. So if you plan to buy a used ps4 copy you have to be sure that the owner has not used the code that comes with it, othetwise you will have to buy the ultimate upgrades for ps5 on the ps store.
Wow! Thanks for the research. So no way to have a PS5 version in the collection without digital code, very disappointing. Seems like the PS4 will have to suffice, but I will buy it at the lowest price possible in a year or two. Until then the MK XL is fun enough.

Soodanim

Gold Member
MK is a series that I’ll probably never buy again, because they manage to fuck too much up every time.

Shit ton of horror characters that just dilute the roster
DLC spam
Removed characters sold back later
Performance on PC is notoriously bad

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
First of all, when you open your copy, you are greeted with a disk and a small voucher. No problem, probably some pre-order bonuses like a skin or 2, etc. You then insert the disk on the PS5 and then the installation begins. Geez, the installation is rather quick! You then start the game and are greeted by the splash screen! FUCK YEAH, MK11 ULTIMATE! Bring it on! Now, you navigate the game and then -oh wait what's going on? Everything seems to be greyed out. Only local play seems to be allowed and then when you pick up that option, you only have access to 10 characters or so. Now, I must admit, I already owned MK11 before so I knew what was happening. In fact, the game is installed, but not really. It truly is only partially installed. You need to wait about 30 minutes to let the game install everything. No biggie, I just ended up doing some local matches with the roaster I was allowed to use.

First disappointment for me. The intros/fatal blows/outros are still running at 30 fps, unlike the PC version which runs those at 60 fps. It's a bit bullshit to me, but you know, ohhhhhhhhkay, I'll deal with it. Other than that, the gameplay appears to be running at a locked 4K60 with maxed out settings for PC equivalent port, which is impressive by itself. Okay, I've been playing for nearly an hour, yup, the game is done installing. I'll just reboot the game. Done. Cool splash screen again. Ok there you go., Everything seems to be unlocked now. That's great. I'll just do a klassic tower this time. Let's go with Rambo----wait what the fuck? He's locked? How is that possible? Wait what I have to pay for him? Is this a fucking joke? Don't tell me I have to ----- *looks at the voucher in the box* ----- Yep, it's a fucking DLC voucher needed to access both Kombat Pass contents as well as the Aftermath Xpac + Characters. How is this shit even fucking possible? I thought the PS5 only had a single SKU for physical copies? *searches online quickly* Yep, doesn't seem like there is another SKU available, a standard version if you would like. Even more surprising, you are literally greeted by a MK11 Ultimate splash screen when you install the game first, without the voucher, without any patch downloaded yet. My god...

I mean, I do have access to all the content once I punched the DLC code. I'm just really disappointed that not all the content is on disk. If it was space issue, they could have included a second disk, or merely add a mandatory patch needed to download first that contain the rest of the game. I don't know, I just feel like Netherealm / WB tried to return to the online pass era with this bullshit.

Fun anecdote here, once you punch in the DLC code, you must suffer through 30+ pop-ups telling you each and every item items being part of this DLC code is now part being downloaded, and another 30+ pop-ups telling you it's now ready to be used, and it all goes in very quick succession since punching this DLC code doesn't actually download anything substantial, no it's pretty much only used as an activation key. That DLC code downloads maybe 50mb of data all combined? So yeah, prepare for a symphony of pop-up.

What's annoying here is, I've heard the PS4 version of the ultimate collection comes with 2 disks, and that the Xbox version of Ultimate doesn't include a DLC voucher either. DLC voucher exclusive to PS5 baby. Another superior version right there.

Dj Khaled And Another One GIF

Sorry for my rambling, just needed to vent a bit lol

Now I'm off to play the game anyway :)
Here another publisher lazy effort but sure let's open a thread and blame ps5 for it.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
My ps5 getting dusty. Series x all the way (I actually bought mk11 on stadia tho ha).
Very useful comment. So you practically bought a ps5 (when other are losing their mind to have one) perfectly knowing it would ended with you barely touch it because you are in the first class of the Phil magic train. What a smart move to spend your money if I can say.

Last edited:
Here another publisher lazy effort but sure let's open a thread and blame ps5 for it.
Who's blaming the PS5 console? GTFO with this shit take. All I'm saying is that the PS5 version is frustrating because of this DLC voucher. No matter who's to fault, the end result is this, an inferior version to own if you value having the entirety of your game on your physical copy. Not only that. The installation process is frustrating.

Still, didn't stop me to clock 10 hours in it already. It's a fantastic version of the game if you can get past the voucher bullshit.

Skyfox

Very useful comment. So you practically bought a ps5 (when other are losing their mind to have one) perfectly knowing it would ended with you barely touch it because you are in the first class of the Phil magic train. What a smart move to spend your money if I can say.
Im not psychic. I had a pro and a one x and loved them both and assumed the ps5 would be at least as good as the pro (at the moment its very much not).

After spending a lot of time with ps5 and series x I barely touch the ps5. I know sony will improve the ps5 eventually though.

sn0man

Thank you. Nobody explained this as well as you. So the disc let’s you upgrade to the PS5 version and you download it? The gotcha is that it’s the vanilla PS5 version?
Wow! Thanks for the research. So no way to have a PS5 version in the collection without digital code, very disappointing. Seems like the PS4 will have to suffice, but I will buy it at the lowest price possible in a year or two. Until then the MK XL is fun enough.
Yeah. Gonna wait and enjoy the physical XL I have now. Once PS4 11 Ultimate is sub $20 I’ll sniff around that and hope an 11 double super secret ultimate releases.

MiguelItUp

The MK series has been going through another downward spiral, for me at least. I absolutely LOVED MK9 through and through. Honestly one of my favorite MK games period. If not my favorite hands down. Then X was worse. 11 was slightly better, but still not that great either.

I feel like the games are getting clunkier and clunkier. I also feel like there's a number of issues revolving around balance that just go ignored.

I used to LOVE playing MK9 online. However my experiences with X and 11 online were not that great by any means. It was a drastic difference too. Like, in 9 I remember going up against some players that did some really impressive stuff. Whereas with X and 11 it was nothing impressive, just a spam of cheap shots and repeats of the same moves or small combos.

I will say playing on PC has made my experiences worse as well as their support for PC is lacking. For example, not being included in crossplay, etc.

makaveli60

Thank you. Nobody explained this as well as you. So the disc let’s you upgrade to the PS5 version and you download it? The gotcha is that it’s the vanilla PS5 version?

Yeah. Gonna wait and enjoy the physical XL I have now. Once PS4 11 Ultimate is sub $20 I’ll sniff around that and hope an 11 double super secret ultimate releases.
You’re welcome, mate! And yes, like you said, exactly. Your ps4 ultimate edition gets upgraded to the vanilla ps5 version which you can then upgrade to ultimate with the code you get with the ps4 ultimate disc.

Top Bottom