• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lies of P |OT| Woodborn

rofif

Banned
Aye - and the combos go on for days. I think maybe I've found my difficulty boundary in LoP though - Sekiro I got through in the end, but this is just a touch too much for me. Power to them that can handle it, they're doing what I can't.
Is that first or 2nd encounter with black rabbit ?
First time is pretty easy :p

Note to self: do not spend a day playing Dark Souls 3 and then attempt to go back to Lies of P. It's crazy how much more punishing the latter is in boss battles and how much more sluggish your character feels in combat.

I think someone on GAF said that DS3 had enemies that were too aggressive and a character that was too slow - just attempting the
Black Rabbits
for a second time and I was reminded of it. LoP bosses are so aggressive compared your character's stamina and dexterity - honestly felt like 60 year old emphysema sufferer trying to keep up with that lot.
You received an amulet from the miniboss to speed up stamina recovery. There is a throwables merchant and a room of ergo next to it. There is also a summoning pool. Do you have weight above 59% or something... You will not need either the cartridges or converters for this fight. Your best fiber reinforced-liner and frame should be enough.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
You received an amulet from the miniboss to speed up stamina recovery. There is a throwables merchant and a room of ergo next to it. There is also a summoning pool. Do you have weight above 59% or something... You will not need either the cartridges or converters for this fight. Your best fiber reinforced-liner and frame should be enough.
Yeah, I have amulet equipped and reduced load to 58% - the first three aren't so bad as long as you avoid status build up. That final twat is something else though.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Aye - and the combos go on for days. I think maybe I've found my difficulty boundary in LoP though - Sekiro I got through in the end, but this is just a touch too much for me. Power to them that can handle it, they're doing what I can't.
Really? I thought sekiro was WAY harder, like the old butterfly bitch killed me more than the first 8 boss in lop combined...
In sekiro you can only parry to win, lop giving more options already make the game easier imo.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
Really? I thought sekiro was WAY harder, like the old butterfly bitch killed me more than the first 8 boss in lop combined...
In sekiro you can only parry to win, lop giving more options already make the game easier imo.
There was just something very addictive about Sekiro's brutality. I think Sword Saint Isshin took me about three months on-and-off to finally get him and I was convinced for most of that that I'd never actually succeed, but I did get there in the end. I had that same draw with Lies of P for a while, that kept me coming back, but the deeper I get the less motivated I feel to keep going. I suppose the difference is that when I faced Genichiro in Sekiro he absolutely whooped me and was a complete ballbreaker, but when he turned up in the final fight, and I flattened him without taking a single blow, I felt like I'd really come a long way. When I faced these guys for the second time, I didn't feel any better equipped than the first time. I'm just like, yeah, I still can't parry this bastard for shit - do I light him up with throwables again or just admit defeat?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
About to enter the swamp...is it as annoying and long as fromsoft swamps?

Also, i unlocked the statue for the respec and they made a big deal out of it...but the golden tree already does the same, am i missing something?

rofif

Banned

Also, i unlocked the statue for the respec and they made a big deal out of it...but the golden tree already does the same, am i missing something?
It's very similar to that swamp from ds3 with ballista.
But you dont slow walk

R6Rider

Gold Member

It's not annoying at all honestly. I loved the swamp area. Some good exploration and enemies.

I think a patch allowed you to respec at other places besides the statue.

I think a patch allowed you to respec at other places besides the statue.
Yes, they made it so that Gold Coin Tree would do respec two chapters earlier. They should really patch the game to give the Statue some unique function. It would be neat to be able to exchange Gold Coins for weapon upgrade materials for example.

There was just something very addictive about Sekiro's brutality. I think Sword Saint Isshin took me about three months on-and-off to finally get him and I was convinced for most of that that I'd never actually succeed, but I did get there in the end. I had that same draw with Lies of P for a while, that kept me coming back, but the deeper I get the less motivated I feel to keep going. I suppose the difference is that when I faced Genichiro in Sekiro he absolutely whooped me and was a complete ballbreaker, but when he turned up in the final fight, and I flattened him without taking a single blow, I felt like I'd really come a long way. When I faced these guys for the second time, I didn't feel any better equipped than the first time. I'm just like, yeah, I still can't parry this bastard for shit - do I light him up with throwables again or just admit defeat?
One thing I would suggest for the final brother is a LV3 Puppet String Arm skill. Farm Gold Coin if needed, but respec in that manner. If timed correctly it will maximize stagger and damage during windows of opportunity without much stamina consumption. Also, LV1 Aegis Shield Arm guarded attack from behind shield is also an option.

It's not annoying at all honestly. I loved the swamp area. Some good exploration and enemies.
I actually loved the military campaign feel in that area and the Napoleon Bonaparte enemies on top of some towers. Boulder hazards area was kind of a pain with items and butterflies scattered in their path. Fun to toss a gear at an enemy far away and have them get crushed by a boulder on the other hand. Was a bit wierd to have clown miniboss resurface.

P.S. In hindsight, I am a bit dissappointed with enemy variety in the Grand Exhibition. Really would have loved to see the puppets from promotional shots in there and less of the bomb tossing jokers. Also, the blade-wielding officer puppets don't really feel like they belong.
lop2.gif

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind a scramble mode that randomizes enemy locations, but kept the same type of enemies. They probaby won't (can't) do it since each enemy seems to have a pathing restricted area in how far they will chase you forward or backwards.

I wouldn't mind a scramble mode that randomizes enemy locations, but kept the same type of enemies. They probaby won't (can't) do it since each enemy seems to have a pathing restricted area in how far they will chase you forward or backwards.
There will probably be mods for it like FromSoftware titles. Not a fan personally, but I think it is only a matter of time.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Ok i need a confirmation, is that gigantic axe with the puppets arms a stagger machine like i think it is? i only tried it against the elite policeman in the swamp and i was staggering his ass with every single fast attack? not even strong attacks, just a single fast attack and he was down (the short type of stagger, not the one where you can do a fatal attack).
The thing consume a truckload of stamina so you can't really hit more than 2 times or fully use all the staggers but i thought it was a bug, or maybe there was some strange fuckery going on...

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

Ok i need a confirmation, is that gigantic axe with the puppets arms a stagger machine like i think it is? i only tried it against the elite policeman in the swamp and i was staggering his ass with every single fast attack? not even strong attacks, just a single fast attack and he was down (the short type of stagger, not the one where you can do a fatal attack).
The thing consume a truckload of stamina so you can't really hit more than 2 times or fully use all the staggers but i thought it was a bug, or maybe there was some strange fuckery going on...
the heavier the weapon easier the stagger, so yes, this, the wrench a famou hammer are the best stagger weapon imo, but they are slow as fuck ( u can change the hendle to make it a little faster ) , the normal swing ll just break the enemie posture, if u really wanna stagger do a heavy charged attack or a puppet string LVL 3.

Last edited:
yes, it has greater stagger potential than most weapons.
I opt for fast stabby weapons, so haven't used or upgraded mine yet.

GymWolf

Gold Member
the heavier the weapon easier the stagger, so yes, this and a famou hammer are the best stagger weapon imo, but they are slow as fuck, the normal swing ll just break their posture, if u really wanna stagger do a heavy charged attack or a puppet string LVL 3.
Yeah i know about heavy charged attack for staggers, what i'm saying is that i was soft-staggering an elite enemy with fast attacks, a single fast attack for stagger.

Never happened with any other weapon, not even the big wrench.

the heavier the weapon easier the stagger, so yes, this and a famou hammer are the best stagger weapon imo, but they are slow as fuck, the normal swing ll just break their posture, if u really wanna stagger do a heavy charged attack or a puppet string LVL 3.
Shot put when they are at the stagger break or whatever it is called when the enemy bar has the white outline is a guarantee stagger as well.

SenkiDala

Launched it again on XSX, the animation of the character still make the game unplayable, turned off the Xbox. When they will patch this seriously ? When it'll be out of the GP ?

Lokaum D+

What handle do you pair with the wrench? I think I heard the booster handle is supposed to be good, but could be wrong?
Krat police baton handle ll give u a great boost in damage if u use handle fable before using the wrench fable, it ll cost 4 fable, but ll hit like two trucks.

Wrench fable art makes you armored, so no attack ll break ur instance while u are charging the fable art.

Since i m at NG++ i have two builds for the Wrench, the police one for big damage and the Mjonir one for perfect guard fable art.

Last edited:
Krat police baton handle ll give u a great boost in damage if u use handle fable before using the wrench fable, it ll cost 4 fable, but ll hit like two trucks.

Wrench fable art makes you armored, so no attack ll break ur instance while u are charging the fable art.

Since i m at NG++ i have two builds for the Wrench, the police one for big damage and the Mjonir one since the perfect guard fable art.
I tend to favor fast weapons, but might give those a try when I finish NG+. NG++ will be my last run I think, unless new content comes out since my backlog is pretty big and is about to get even bigger.

Launched it again on XSX, the animation of the character still make the game unplayable, turned off the Xbox. When they will patch this seriously ? When it'll be out of the GP ?
I've played it entirely on XSX and on my 2nd run through. Game is more than playable. Playing on performance mode btw.
Maybe something is wrong with your XSX?

Lokaum D+

I tend to favor fast weapons, but might give those a try when I finish NG+. NG++ will be my last run I think, unless new content comes out since my backlog is pretty big and is about to get even bigger.
yeah, i m doing a Dex/Adv NG++ run for the platinum and i m done too until DLC.

Edit: not using puppet string for this last run, that damn thing is too op.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

Advance build on my OG run and new run. I might do a technique build for my 3rd run.
Motivity weapons are just too slow for me given how bad at am with them.
like i said, u can aways change their handle for something faster, handle scalability ( dont know if this is the right word, not a native english speaker here ) may not be great, but is damn fun to use Live Puppet Axe + Bramble Curved Sword Handle.

Last edited:

Ansphn

Yes Sekiro was way harder than this game.

Ansphn

Ironically, I've seen a lot of Sekiro vets that say this game is too hard.
I'm surprised by this because LOP's mechanic is very similar to Sekiro but the strikes from the enemies are much slower until they get to the last boss. Also, the human enemies are so prone to easy back stabs. For example, i can back stab Donkey guy through the whole fight with ease.

Last edited:
I'm surprised by this because LOP's mechanic is very similar to Sekiro but the strikes from the enemies are much slower until they get to the last boss. Also, the human enemies are so prone to easy back stabs. For example, i can back stab Donkey guy through the whole fight with ease.
Tbf they probably didn't really give the game a chance because it wasn't by FROM or some other dev they favor.
I haven't played Sekiro, but have heard good things about it.

SenkiDala

? care to explain ?
I've played it entirely on XSX and on my 2nd run through. Game is more than playable. Playing on performance mode btw.
Maybe something is wrong with your XSX?
The animation of the main character is fucked up on Xbox consoles (doesn't happen on PC or PS versions).

It is like the character can just run to 8 directions. : / Since I launched the game on XSX my eyes focused on this and since I can't unsee it so it is hard to focus on the game for me. On the video in the thread it is hard to see but try it in your own game and put the camera "up" and if you watch your character moving from the top it becomes obvious.

And no this is not coming from my XSX. :(

The animation of the main character is fucked up on Xbox consoles (doesn't happen on PC or PS versions).

It is like the character can just run to 8 directions. : / Since I launched the game on XSX my eyes focused on this and since I can't unsee it so it is hard to focus on the game for me. On the video in the thread it is hard to see but try it in your own game and put the camera "up" and if you watch your character moving from the top it becomes obvious.

I haven't seen that in my gameplay at all

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

Hope they patch this so it's on par with the other versions. PC this doesn't exist.

Dafuq is wrong with door guardian amount of health?! :lollipop_squinting:
yea, he's chunky bastard. His attacks are pretty predictable though.

I recommend a lot of running and keeping a distance til he leaves himself vulnerable and then to do a quick attack or two before running away again. Also stock up on shotputs if you ever get him to a vulnerable to stagger state for that distance stagger before going in to do major damage.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
yea, he's chunky bastard. His attacks are pretty predictable though.

I recommend a lot of running and keeping a distance til he leaves himself vulnerable and then to do a quick attack or two before running away again. Also stock up on shotputs if you ever get him to a vulnerable to stagger state for that distance stagger before going in to do major damage.
Yeah his attacks are pretty shit, he suprised me because i did very little damage :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom