• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lies of P |OT| Woodborn

stn

Had to switch from greatsword to puppet ripper, feels like a new game now. The sword was way too slow. Nearly done chapter 9, hopefully I beat the game tonight.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Black rabbit company down, this one was quite hard because of the adds, their introduction was super cool and in general all the bosses intros have been cool (i'm a giga-sucker for cool intros).

Still not sure i'm gonna settle down on an advance build or a str build with the holy sword that has a very useful second form with that r2 lunge with huge range that stunlock everything, i was skewering(?) the black rabbits when they were aligned during the boss fight :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Warning - triggered post!!!!!!!!!
max dood (twitch streamer) just finished lies of P and said it is better than DS2 hands down and maybe even Bloodborne lol.
He says, he still likes BB more but lies of p does more stuff or something in general.

People go crazy over this game. All I see is difficulty blinding real flaws, linear design for a souls game, little to 0 gear customization(armour especially) and some janky boss animations.
Yeah it's a good game. Best souls like ever for sure but cmon. It's on the level of annoying ds2 dlc but I personally think ds2 main is better. no questions asked.

Story? Well lol yeah it's Pinocchio BUT BLOODY AND YOU HAVE TO LIE !!! "OMG SUCH LORE, ITS THE GOTY, SUBVERTED MY EXPECTATIONS"... oh man
Graphics? "OMG IT RUNS 4K120 SO EASILY LOOKS AMAZING"... of course it runs great. It looks mid. Art is great but fidelity itself is not that high

Again, it's a good game. Best soulslike fo sure. But I just don't get the overhype over it. I hated playing it in later 3rd of the game. I got triggered and annoyed by bs combos. And stagger is bs. you have to perfect parry 20 times to get a chance to charge r2 stagger.... and fatal does very little damage.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Warning - triggered post!!!!!!!!!
max dood (twitch streamer) just finished lies of P and said it is better than DS2 hands down and maybe even Bloodborne lol.
He says, he still likes BB more but lies of p does more stuff or something in general.

People go crazy over this game. All I see is difficulty blinding real flaws, linear design for a souls game, little to 0 gear customization(armour especially) and some janky boss animations.
Yeah it's a good game. Best souls like ever for sure but cmon. It's on the level of annoying ds2 dlc but I personally think ds2 main is better. no questions asked.

Story? Well lol yeah it's Pinocchio BUT BLOODY AND YOU HAVE TO LIE !!! "OMG SUCH LORE, ITS THE GOTY, SUBVERTED MY EXPECTATIONS"... oh man
Graphics? "OMG IT RUNS 4K120 SO EASILY LOOKS AMAZING"... of course it runs great. It looks mid. Art is great but fidelity itself is not that high

Again, it's a good game. Best soulslike fo sure. But I just don't get the overhype over it. I hated playing it in later 3rd of the game. I got triggered and annoyed by bs combos. And stagger is bs. you have to perfect parry 20 times to get a chance to charge r2 stagger.... and fatal does very little damage.
The locations and lore was a lot more interesting in Bloodborne. LoP felt like as soon it went somewhere, it didn’t take it to the top. If Max says it’s better than BB then he must have missed out on half of the game’s locations. Not to mention better enemies all around. Taking a tram twice isn’t exactly over the top. I still prefer the Looking Glass Knight from DS2.

LoP is good, but I’m not declaring it better.

Last edited:
The locations and lore was a lot more interesting in Bloodborne. LoP felt like as soon it went somewhere, it didn’t take it to the top. If Max says it’s better than BB then he must have missed out on half of the game’s locations. Not to mention better enemies all around. Taking a tram twice isn’t exactly over the top. I still prefer the Looking Glass Knight from DS2.

LoP is good, but I’m not declaring it better.
I preferred many of the metropolitan locations in Lies of P, but there are mechanical gameplay advantages in Bloodborne. To be precise, ability to cancel out of an attack, ability to hit bosses out of attack despite not having staggered them with uncharged heavy attacks, and guns being quickly able to both parry into downed state at range and act as a ranged attack.

Lokaum D+

Just did the Bad Ending for my second playthrough and damn, the level of detail of this game is INSANE.
Just after Carlo become a "real boy", Gepetto order him to kill every npc that was left at the Hotel Krat ( Venini, Eugine, Polendina, Hugo and Pulcinella ), if u choose to go after some missebles and dont start the NG+ right way, Gepetto ll left u a letter on his desk, saying that he ll rebuild Krat and its better for Carlo to wait at the hotel, then Gepetto creates puppets to replace the npcs that u just killed

wingdkscreenshot2023.3sedx.png

wingdkscreenshot2023.p8ci0.png

wingdkscreenshot2023.mxejg.png

Last edited:
Just did the Bad Ending for my second playthrough and damn, the level of detail of this game is INSANE.
Just after Carlo become a "real boy", Gepetto order him to kill every npc that was left at the Hotel Krat ( Venini, Eugine, Polendina, Hugo and Pulcinella ), if u choose to go after some missebles and dont start the NG+ right way, Gepetto ll left u a letter on his desk, saying that he ll rebuild Krat and its better for Carlo to wait at the hotel, then Gepetto creates puppets to replace the npcs that u just killed

wingdkscreenshot2023.3sedx.png

wingdkscreenshot2023.p8ci0.png

wingdkscreenshot2023.mxejg.png
That is frighteningly demented.

Lokaum D+

its looks way better then Forspoken Graphicaly and Art direction and if we talk about performance and assets, it is better then most of From games.

I m at 110 hours and starting my third playthroug ( that i ll do just advance weapons ) this game is just that gud, if Niowiz can pull this on their first try i just wanna see what they ll come up next.

at the moment is my 2023 GOTY

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
One thing I really love is that the game doesn't skimp on upgrade material for weapons. You can max out multiple weapons and upgrade plenty of others to +9 by playing regularly.

Allowing for fun weapon experimenting and mixing it up without worrying about doing far less damage.

Last edited:
Can you beat this game without parry? I'm far too old and slow for that shit but would give it a go if you can get by on dodging like bloodborne and souls games.

stn

Can you beat this game without parry? I'm far too old and slow for that shit but would give it a go if you can get by on dodging like bloodborne and souls games.
You can kind of survive until about chapter 8. I honestly found the game pretty easy up until the chapter 8 boss. Chapter 9 has a mini boss that you basically have to perfect parry or you will lose.

You can kind of survive until about chapter 8. I honestly found the game pretty easy up until the chapter 8 boss. Chapter 9 has a mini boss that you basically have to perfect parry or you will lose.
ah well that kinda sucks. Guess I'll just watch my lad play it at christmas when he visits instead.

rofif

Banned
its looks way better the Forspoken Graphicaly and Art direction and if we talk about performance and assets, it is better then most of From games.

I m at 110 hours and starting my third playthroug ( that i ll do just advance weapons ) this game is just that gud, if Niowiz can pull this on their first try i just wanna see what they ll come up next.

at the moment is my 2023 GOTY
tech wise it absolutely doesn't look better. It's bland, baked and mid fidelity.
Art is awesome.

Last chapter is such a big drop in quality, I almost dropped the game. I kinda enjoyed itespecially first part. I did enjoyed all of forspoken in comparison.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Pretty sure you can, but there are several abilities and tools that make perfect parrying super easy (and free). I'm awful at parrying in games, but find it easy here.

Last edited:

hlm666

Started this a few days ago, enjoying it for the most part but for the love of god can devs stop doing this stupid hold button to run then tap it to jump. I think it started with the souls games (on pc anyway) and it's one of the stupidest control ideas ever.

Started this a few days ago, enjoying it for the most part but for the love of god can devs stop doing this stupid hold button to run then tap it to jump. I think it started with the souls games (on pc anyway) and it's one of the stupidest control ideas ever.
those are the OG dark souls console controls. Perfection!

R6Rider

Gold Member
ok well that's a different response. I guess I could give it a try. Any suggestions for a no reflexes build?
You'll want to go with lots of stamina, maybe a fast weapon, and focus your P-Organ skills on anything related to dodging (take less damage while dodging while example).

ah well that kinda sucks. Guess I'll just watch my lad play it at christmas when he visits instead.
He lies. All you need is Aegis Shield Arm upgraded to LV1.

ok well that's a different response. I guess I could give it a try. Any suggestions for a no reflexes build?
Shield Arm LV1 with Wrench, Puppet Axe, or Bonesaw blade on a handle with a multiple hit (Bramble Curved Sword) or high damage (Krat Baton) fable art. You can get in their face and smack them from behind the shield. Just be mindful of attribute and special status effects.

Last edited:

hlm666

those are the OG dark souls console controls. Perfection!
I get it with limited buttons on a controller, but I've got a boat load of keys here and i'm sure they can spare one more line in the key binding menu for jump.

No idea what that means but I'll reread this later when I give it a try! :)
It's a prosthetic with a shield function, kinda like the one in sekiro if you have played that.

stn

That's interesting regarding the parry stuff. I must be playing the game wrong because I was not able to beat the chapter 9 mini boss without perfect parrying. Level 75, +2 puppet ripper, high health, and still found that I had to perfect parry or else the chip damage would be too much. I'd love to see videos of people beating that boss without the perfect parry, but I feel like that boss was a knowledge check (he got me like 6 times so it wasn't too bad).

R6Rider

Gold Member
That's interesting regarding the parry stuff. I must be playing the game wrong because I was not able to beat the chapter 9 mini boss without perfect parrying. Level 75, +2 puppet ripper, high health, and still found that I had to perfect parry or else the chip damage would be too much. I'd love to see videos of people beating that boss without the perfect parry, but I feel like that boss was a knowledge check (he got me like 6 times so it wasn't too bad).
Which boss was this? I forget.

One thing I really love is that the game doesn't skimp on upgrade material for weapons. You can max out multiple weapons and upgrade plenty of others to +9 by playing regularly.

Allowing for fun weapon experimenting and mixing it up without worrying about doing far less damage.
I find the 7 Fullmoon Darkmoon Stones in a playthrough to be too few as it takes 3 to fully upgrade a special weapon and there are 11 special weapons in the game.

R6Rider

Gold Member
The illusions boss with the blue brain and the cleaver weapon
Oh yeah that fucker was difficult, but pretty sure I beat that one without parrying a single attack. Mostly ran counter-clockwise to avoid attacks and staggered her.

Took me 5 or 6 tries I think, but once I got aggressive and got a stagger it was over. I was using the mine Legion Arm which helped a lot with the second "phase".

I don't remember my level, but I beat that using the Live Puppet's Axe.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
He lies. All you need is Aegis Shield Arm upgraded to LV1.

Shield Arm LV1 with Wrench, Puppet Axe, or Bonesaw blade on a handle with a multiple hit (Bramble Curved Sword) or high damage (Krat Baton) fable art. You can get in their face and smack them from behind the shield. Just be mindful of attribute and special status effects.
But the shield is not infinite if is a legion arm...

GymWolf

Gold Member
He can use the weapon with the highest guard for hard bosses, they can attack all they want if he can absorb more than 70% of damage and can recover all the health lost with 2-3 swings (the tricky part is that the weapons with high guard is super slow so it is not always possible to counter)

Last edited:
But the shield is not infinite if is a legion arm...
There are items to refill your legion arm (that are super cheap) and also P-organs that let you refill when attacking as well.
Also there are weapons that make it so very little health is taken while guarding attacks other than Fury (red) attacks.

I suck at parrying and I'm on my 2nd playthrough at around chapter 7. You can definitely play the game and beat it without being great at parrying. There is 1 boss that has a certain attack where parrying is important, but there is a grindstone that makes that trivial as well.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yes. I will say this. Applying acid to your weapon is the answer when you don’t parry. There’s a boss that you’ll question rather or not you should have practiced parrying at least once.

Lokaum D+

Use "perfect guard" abilitie to parry with one button if u need or to parry Fury ( red ) attacks, the standard heavy weapon already comes with this abilitie, build u can do whatever u want, just keep in mind to that just defending is an option since u can recover some of ur health like BB and dont forget u can aways run away from Fury ( red ) attacks.

Dont forget to unlock first the dodge abilities locked by the P-organ, you can do this very earlier.

Late in the game u ll get a ring that let u dodge Fury attacks.

This is my take on the first boss, just by dodging.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Use "perfect guard" abilitie to parry with one button if u need or to parry Fury ( red ) attacks, the standard heavy weapon already comes with this abilitie, build u can do whatever u want, just keep in mind to that just defending is an option since u can recover some of ur health like BB and dont forget u can aways run away from Fury ( red ) attacks.

Dont forget to unlock first the dodge abilities locked by the P-organ, you can do this very earlier.

Late in the game u ll get a ring that let u dodge Fury attacks.

This is my take on the first boss, just by dodging.

I think you can dodge red attacks even without ring.

Btw king of puppet down at third try, i think it was just a lucky run because the second phase was a nightmare with a slow weapon...

Intro and the fight itself were top notch.

I think you can dodge red attacks even without ring.

Btw king of puppet down at third try, i think it was just a lucky run because the second phase was a nightmare with a slow weapon...

Intro and the fight itself were top notch.
I have seen a mod that relaxes P-Organ requirements so that you can acquire Phase 7 Fury Attack Blocking with 24 quartz. There are a total of 28 obtainable in a single run.
https://www.nexusmods.com/liesofp/mods/51

Last edited:
I have played to NG++ and unlocked it the classic way and if I am going to do a new run for DLC you can bet your ass I am going to use that mod to remove the unnecessary gatekeeping to passive abilities.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm still thinking about the king of puppets first phase, the moving parts, the animations, how expressive it was for a robot, it really felt like a boss from a full fledged AAA game, not a budget souls clone.

Same for the crazy fat clown you fight not long before, the animation work is not inferior to fromsoft AT ALL.

In general all the enemies have incredible animations, from the zombies to the puppets to the stalkers.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'm still thinking about the king of puppets first phase, the moving parts, the animations, how expressive it was for a robot, it really felt like a boss from a full fledged AAA game, not a budget souls clone.

Same for the crazy fat clown you fight not long before, the animation work is not inferior to fromsoft AT ALL.

In general all the enemies have incredible animations, from the zombies to the puppets to the stalkers.
Just wait until some later bosses.

On my 2nd run now and getting my butt kicked by the Swamp monster's 2nd phase. I can totally destroy phase 1 without even using a heal.

Trying not to resort to throwables as I did use a few in my first run through the game. My biggest challenge is the charge attack in phase 2 that is hard to time to parry or dodge and that he seems to charge contiually until he hits you. It's going to feel so good when I take this mofo out.

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
Note to self: do not spend a day playing Dark Souls 3 and then attempt to go back to Lies of P. It's crazy how much more punishing the latter is in boss battles and how much more sluggish your character feels in combat.

I think someone on GAF said that DS3 had enemies that were too aggressive and a character that was too slow - just attempting the
Black Rabbits
for a second time and I was reminded of it. LoP bosses are so aggressive compared your character's stamina and dexterity - honestly felt like 60 year old emphysema sufferer trying to keep up with that lot.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Note to self: do not spend a day playing Dark Souls 3 and then attempt to go back to Lies of P. It's crazy how much more punishing the latter is in boss battles and how much more sluggish your character feels in combat.

I think someone on GAF said that DS3 had enemies that were too aggressive and a character that was too slow - just attempting the
Black Rabbits
for a second time and I was reminded of it. LoP bosses are so aggressive compared your characters stamina and dexterity - honestly felt like 60 year old emphysema suffer trying to keep up with that lot.
LOP has way faster enemies. Just in general. The attacks come out faster I think

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
LOP has way faster enemies. Just in general. The attacks come out faster I think
Aye - and the combos go on for days. I think maybe I've found my difficulty boundary in LoP though - Sekiro I got through in the end, but this is just a touch too much for me. Power to them that can handle it, they're doing what I can't.

Top Bottom