• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lies of P |OT| Woodborn

cormack12

Gold Member
inYfR2X.png

vUlD10i.png

0Klzp0L.png

K6Hni0w.png
steam_ending.gif

21mgRKM.png

m7B64Ui.png

eBT8aMv.png

lop2.gif
2Vkpqda.png

SJRB

Gold Member
Been watching a stream for a bit and the game is legit dope. Super nice style and aesthetics, blatantly inspired by Bloodborne but that's a good thing after the neverending Souls-inspired games. Plus the Pinocchio - puppet theme is unique and well fleshed out.

Visuals are beautiful, music is good, combat seems challenging but fair. All around winner.

Will pick this up later in the year because currently I'm swamped with Armored Core, Starfield and Cyberpunk next week. The release window of this game is super unfortunate.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Been watching a stream for a bit and the game is legit dope. Super nice style and aesthetics, blatantly inspired by Bloodborne but that's a good thing after the neverending Souls-inspired games. Plus the Pinocchio - puppet theme is unique and well fleshed out.

Visuals are beautiful, music is good, combat seems challenging but fair. All around winner.

Will pick this up later in the year because currently I'm swamped with Armored Core, Starfield and Cyberpunk next week. The release window of this game is super unfortunate.
Should give the demo a try.

Ok, I just bought the deluxe edition on PS5 and have it downloaded. I wasn’t planning on purchasing this game so soon, but I’ve been “influenced” buy all the Youtube influencers…lol. All of my go to reviewers seemed to love the game. Now I just have to wait another hour for the game to unlock. I had just started the Resident Evil 4 remake, but that will have to wait because any decent souls-like shoots to the top for me.

I just beat all of the segments shared with the demo and am too tired to continue any further today. Only one thing irks me. Under boss life bars are a bunch of hieroglyphics.

Lies-of-P-Scrapped-Watchman-1.jpg

Last edited:
I just beat all of the segments shared with the demo and am too tired to continue any further today. Only one thing irks me. Under boss life bars are a bunch of hieroglyphics.

Lies-of-P-Scrapped-Watchman-1.jpg

Should be obvious that symbols are intentionally indecipherable and you will be able to read them in NG+, I'm personally intrigued by that idea.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Intriguing game. I didn't play the demo, but I saw that it's coming to GP and I'll definitely give it a shot once I'm wrapped up with Starfield.
I really like how detailed this PC Specs sheet is. It's annoying when you don't know what settings they're using, or frame rate target. I think this is first time I've seen both upscaling and native res required hardware being listed. Well done to the person who put this together. Going by this chart I'd probably be good for High settings, DLSS Quality, 1440p/144fps on 5800x3d+4060Ti.

digdug2

I like to play Souls games and Souls-Likes with my wife, so I must say that it's a bummer that the game is single player only. A game like this without co-op (or invasions for that matter) is kind of a travesty.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
My god, I am drowning in quality games. I almost wish all this shit was spaced out. Let me beat a game, Jesus.

Just… wait? The game isn’t going off sale or off GamePass in two months.

I‘m 25 hours into Starfield, and will be playing it for another few weeks. Then I‘ll move onto this… or maybe Armored Core.

I honestly love it when I know I have months of good gaming ahead of me.

FOMO is stupid.

I wish I was able to play this game day 1. That's a very good feeling.

Occupied with Starfield right now. Am a 1 game at a time person so can't run them parallel.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It is, but it's a thing that all corporations prey on. And they're very successful at doing so, I might add.

Only because people allow them to be. The culture of ‘must play this now so I can talk about it on social media,’ is absolutely fucking poisonous.

And it’s the fault of the consumer that they feel the need to buy and play everything fucking day one. The greedy ass companies are just taking advantage of the ridiculous consumer culture.

Chill out, play at your own pace, get to the next game when you get to it.

digdug2

social media
In all reality, that is the main poison. The sooner people realize it and stop playing into it, the sooner things will start to get better for everyone. Social media has infiltrated every aspect of our collective lives and it's an ever-growing cancer.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
In all reality, that is the main poison. The sooner people realize it and stop playing into it, the sooner things will start to get better for everyone. Social media has infiltrated every aspect of our collective lives and it's an ever-growing cancer.

I don't fully subscribe to the idea that social media is the problem.

It's the symptom.

The problem is the inability of people to exercise some sort of self control when it comes to their conspicuous consumption. It's a problem that existed long before social media came along, and the reason why marketing and advertising functions the way it does.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
I think this game will suffer from launching around the time of lots of other good games. Hopefully it'll be a sleeper though. I enjoyed the demo, and I'll definitely pick it up, but Cyberpunk, Lords Of The Fallen, Alan Wake 2 and Spidey 2 will keep me well occupied into the new year.

Reactions: Isa

Luipadre

Intriguing game. I didn't play the demo, but I saw that it's coming to GP and I'll definitely give it a shot once I'm wrapped up with Starfield.

I really like how detailed this PC Specs sheet is. It's annoying when you don't know what settings they're using, or frame rate target. I think this is first time I've seen both upscaling and native res required hardware being listed. Well done to the person who put this together. Going by this chart I'd probably be good for High settings, DLSS Quality, 1440p/144fps on 5800x3d+4060Ti.

Incredible how well optimized this game is.

digdug2

I don't fully subscribe to the idea that social media is the problem.

It's the symptom.

The problem is the inability of people to exercise some sort of self control when it comes to their conspicuous consumption. It's a problem that existed long before social media came along, and the reason why marketing and advertising functions the way it does.
You actually are correct about the widespread lack of self-control. As far as I am concerned, it makes social media, marketing, and advertising all the more insidious. They are absolutely preying on people, their insecurities, and their addictions. Just because a person isn't addicted to drugs, alcohol, or nicotine doesn't mean that they're not an addict.

What y'all know about Timothy Chalamet as Harry Potter? lol

N3rfYhv.jpg

Made it past the demo area, the game is *awesome*, in love with the whole premise and mythology, I'm already fully invested into this tale of puppets gone mad, it's intriguing, well written and promises surprises. I made a decision from the start to only Lie, no idea what this effect will ultimately have but I look forward to finding out! As always, 1st playthrough is 100% guide free.

One quality of life thing I appreciate in contrast to Souls is seeing which location you have active sidequests in when using fast travel, cool stuff. I'm fully focused on a Technique build and it's exciting to know that the weapon assembly system allows me to keep handles that scale most with that stat while allowing experimentation with different attachments.

There are already cool mechanics at play with "humanity" and a certain NPC who... asks questions. Digging all the lore and reading every item description. Enemy variety is solid so far let's hope it continues to expand to the very end. For now I'm impressed and happy I gave the demo another chance because I really wasn't planning on buying this any time soon (or at all).

Last edited:
Should be obvious that symbols are intentionally indecipherable and you will be able to read them in NG+, I'm personally intrigued by that idea.
That is such bullshit. I can still read it, but it really strains the eyes. In the picture the Watchman says: "You're all guilty. I'll punish you!"

Can we talk about the real issue?

Groggy is gone. Foes just stagger now like in every other game. Wooden son, I am disappoint.
Damn it. You are going to make me redownload the demo.

P.S. I preferred Fear the Old Wood |OT| to Woodborn.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That is such bullshit. I can still read it, but it really strains the eyes. In the picture the Watchman says: "You're all guilty. I'll punish you!"

Damn it. You are going to make me redownload the demo.
I heard it couldn’t get Steam Deck Verified because of the small text. We are back to Dead Rising on 360. I had to buy a different TV because the text was so small.

Last edited:

Made it past the demo area, the game is *awesome*, in love with the whole premise and mythology, I'm already fully invested into this tale of puppets gone mad, it's intriguing, well written and promises surprises. I made a decision from the start to only Lie, no idea what this effect will ultimately have but I look forward to finding out! As always, 1st playthrough is 100% guide free.

One quality of life thing I appreciate in contrast to Souls is seeing which location you have active sidequests in when using fast travel, cool stuff. I'm fully focused on a Technique build and it's exciting to know that the weapon assembly system allows me to keep handles that scale most with that stat while allowing experimentation with different attachments.

There are already cool mechanics at play with "humanity" and a certain NPC who... asks questions. Digging all the lore and reading every item description. Enemy variety is solid so far let's hope it continues to expand to the very end. For now I'm impressed and happy I gave the demo another chance because I really wasn't planning on buying this any time soon (or at all).

What does the second attack value stand for (86+18 in your picture)?

N3rfYhv.jpg

Agree with everything you said! This game is awesome! I didn't play the demo, so everything is new to me. Getting use to the "perfect guard" (souls parry) system is going to take some time for me. I'm not a big user of parries in the souls games, but it appears to be essential here. The graphics (PS5 on LG OLED) and sound design are great. I'm really digging the whole atmosphere. I'm going to take my time with the game and soak up everything. Performance has been flawless. What a shock that a game gets released running this good /s. My only small gripe so far is that I couldn't find a way to remap the sprint button to the left stick (or at least I didn't see a way). In fact, I didn't see "sprint" listed in the controller configurations at all. You sprint by pressing the "O" button, but It's feels awkward because you can't move the camera while sprinting. You're basically restricted to sprinting in a straight line. Maybe this was a design decision. Anyway, minor gripe and I'll get use to it. Love the game so far!

Last edited:
After clocking almost 7 straight hours I've come across a serious problem with this game: I can't stop playing it lol. Seriously, I'm rather enamored with everything about it. I finally unlocked the (quite amusing!) NPC who can upgrade your arm, created this Flamberge yesterday, the whole visual aesthetic of this game is darkly elegant and striking:

uDgyMP5.jpg

Now to save others wasting their resources I'll tell you that this arm looks badass and functions exactly the same as the Igni spell in The Witcher 3, a constant stream of pretty flame as long as the button is held down. However, it's very weak and it's easier to build overheat status with the flame dagger (for example) that you find in that area (lots of secrets/goodies on this level, pretty sure I got them all). I don't see much utility in it unless smaller swarm-type enemies are introduced that have low HP and can go down quick, should have upgraded the electric fist instead.

The weapon assembly system is god-tier and allows for all kinds of crazy combinations/build possibilities. I've currently got a fire axe head attached to a long hydraulic boosted handle, charging from a distance to dash to forward and eviscerate with my axe looks and feels so damn good. Using cranks to fundamentally change *any* weapon handle to scale with your preferred stat is genius too.

Could write a lot more but I've got a busy day of work ahead of me, all I want to do is continue exploring this sumptuous, gothic world, can't wait to jump back in tonight!

Edit: spoke too soon regarding Flamberge arm, next area has a (very cool) new enemy type that is super weak to fire 🔥 Ultimately arms are situational, switch them out often depending on the enemies you face. Still really love the Scorpion spear, yanking these puppets right to you before cutting them down never gets old.

Last edited:
Their hint at the next project at 1 of the end of the post screen credit blows my mind. I had the stream on in the background and didn't mean to see the spoiler, but I think people will be hyped if they are even a small fan of this classic movie. I'll just leave it at that

Fools idol

Banned
as far as 'souls likes' go this is probably the best of the various attempts companies have made but it's still wayyyyyyy off the Fromsoft feel. Combat is floaty, enemies don't seem to have much reaction to your attacks. It's strange because if I was making a souls rip off I would start with the thing that makes the souls games feel so good - the tight combat.

Top Bottom