• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Talk About Sony's Timed Exclusives and Lack of Disclosures

jmga

They are console exclusives which is what was said. It that conference they are not going to talk about the PC version. So again how is it lies?

They don't say console exclusives.

They literally say "playstation exclusive" and "PS4 exclusive".

That is a blatant lie and the fun fact is that you were criticising microsoft for less a few posts ago.

AmuroChan

The issue with Tomb Raider wasn't that it was a timed exclusive, it was that Microsoft announced on stage that it was coming to the X1 exclusively Holiday 2015, which was misleading to say the least. The outcry would've been far less if they had just said Play Tomb Raider first on X1.

For third party games that may or may not be exclusives, it's not up to the platform holder to announce or confirm it for other platforms. Activision is publishing Crash. They announced the release date on their site. It should be their job to announce what platform(s) the game is coming to. Same thing with Nier. S-E is publishing the game. Why would it be Sony's job to confirm it for PC?

Bluenoser

Not when publisher is banned from doing so, that's the point of this topic. What they are doing is deliberately create ambiguity around some titles to make them appear exclusive without ever explicitly saying they are or not.

Holy shit, I assume you have proof?

MUnited83

For you.
The issue with Tomb Raider wasn't that it was a timed exclusive, it was that Microsoft announced on stage that it was coming to the X1 exclusively Holiday 2015, which was misleading to say the least. The outcry would've been far less if they had just said Play Tomb Raider first on X1.

For third party games that may or may not be exclusives, it's not up to the platform holder to announce or confirm it for other platforms. Activision is publishing Crash. They announced the release date on their site. It should be their job to announce what platform(s) the game is coming to. Same thing with Nier. S-E is publishing the game. Why would it be Sony's job to confirm it for PC?
Jesus Christ why do many people that are not able to read come here? Nobody is saying THAT Sony has to say " ITS ALSO COMING TO PC WE ARE CONFIRMING THE PC VERSION HERE OURSELVES"

That is a blatant lie and the fun fact is that you were criticising microsoft for less a few posts ago.

How do you know Ni No Kuni 2 wasn't put forward as a console exclusive to Sony in 2015?

As for Nier, don't expect Sony to say any different when Square themselves are not ready to talk about the PC version.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Because neither of them are exclusives?

Nier was even announced for PC before that.

Nier Automata was initially announced as a pure PS4 exclusive, the announcement that it was coming to Steam only happened in August last year. Here's the video of yoko revealing it ion SE's official UK channel.

-duskdoll-

Honestly i don't think timed exclusives benefit anyone. I understand it seems like a plus, but it's just a result of the console wars and companies trying to one up each other. Is there anyone who actually cares that they get content before everyone else? It just annoys the rest who have to wait.

There are undeniable double standards in this community when it comes to platform holders and their actions. This just one example.

Not in this community in general. Plenty of people know that, for better or for worse, this is how the game is played. All console makers pay for exclusivity or marketing deals, noone is above it.

So this is your proof?

This isn't a court of law man. There's definitely something fishy going on with Nier's PC release date.

Lothars

No it's not a blatant lie and the fact that you pretend it is shows how your postering.

Notice How I was criticizing MS for was how they handled Tomb Raider when it wasn't a console exclusive but they lied and mislead people with saying it was permanent exclusive. There is nothing in those examples that you gave that says the same thing unless you can show proof of that in writing or video that says it was never coming to PC and Sony saying that than that video saying playstation exclusive doesn't tell me it won't be coming out on PC.

Neither Sony or MS will say that in a middle of a presentation if it's a console exclusive that it's coming to the PC but saying playstation exclusive doesn't say to me one way or another.

It's like dead rising 4 on Xbox One, I assumed it was coming to both PC and Xbox because historically the last couple have done both but I was pretty safe saying it was not coming to PS4.

Re2pect2

Neo Member
Sony could have easily said Nier is coming to PS4 and PC. I don't think PC is a taboo word on Sony's stage. I'm quite sure they've announced games were coming to both before. Although the term console exclusive implies that the game is coming to PC as well.

jmga

How do you know Ni No Kuni 2 wasn't put forward as a console exclusive to Sony in 2015?

As for Nier, don't expect Sony to say any different when Square themselves are not ready to talk about the PC version.

Because they never said it was exclusive on official promo materials nor press releases, he just lied on stage.

Square-Enix hasn't said it is a PS4 exclusive since the PC version reveal, don't try to excuse Sony on that.

Nier Automata was initially announced as a pure PS4 exclusive, the announcement that it was coming to Steam only happened in August last year. Here's the video of yoko revealing it ion SE's official UK channel.

And the video I posted is from last PSX, 5 months after the PC version reveal.

martino

this is something i don't really understand. all of these kingdom heart remasters are exclusive, i'm pretty sure SE just chose to make them exclusive...if sony moneyhatted them why the hell wouldn't they money hat kh3?

so the thing is, if kh3 is multiplatform why aren't the remasters? this is the first and perhaps only kingdom hearts game on xbox so if they aren't going to port the remasters there they are only dooming the xbone version of kh3 further

imo, Square enix pc(and/or xbox) release will happen only if they are not satisfied with sales on ps4

jmga

No it's not a blatant lie and the fact that you pretend it is shows how your postering.

Notice How I was criticizing MS for was how they handled Tomb Raider when it wasn't a console exclusive but they lied and mislead people with saying it was permanent exclusive. There is nothing in those examples that you gave that says the same thing unless you can show proof of that in writing or video that says it was never coming to PC and Sony saying that than that video saying playstation exclusive doesn't tell me it won't be coming out on PC.

Neither Sony or MS will say that in a middle of a presentation if it's a console exclusive that it's coming to the PC but saying playstation exclusive doesn't say to me one way or another.

It's like dead rising 4 on Xbox One, I assumed it was coming to both PC and Xbox because historically the last couple have done both but I was pretty safe saying it was not coming to PS4.
Show me where Microsoft said Tomb Raider was never gonna show up on PS4 please.

Sony could have easily said Nier is coming to PS4 and PC.

Noone should expect them too. Sony wants people to buy games on PS4, they have no obligation to inform people that they can buy the game on other platforms as well. They do have an obligation to be accurate when they advertize a game as some form of exclusive since that can mislead consumers.

Re2pect2

Neo Member
Honestly i don't think timed exclusives benefit anyone. I understand it seems like a plus, but it's just a result of the console wars and companies trying to one up each other. Is there anyone who actually cares that they get content before everyone else? It just annoys the rest who have to wait.

It doesn't benefit consumers, but it definitely benefits the console maker. RotTR got me to buy an XBox One because I didn't want to wait 6-12 months to play it on PS4. So now Microsoft has gotten my money for the game, the console, and the few games that I've bought since then. If it wasn't a timed exclusive, I would've just played it on PS4 and never gotten an XBox.

This isn't a court of law man. There's definitely something fishy going on with Nier's PC release date.

That is true but i think the problem is some people are blaming that on Sony .
I willing to eat crow if that is the case .
Sony has done these deals before and never stop companies from talking about the PC version .
And some of those games were going to sell way more than Nier .

Sony bullies devs into making their games appear as PS exclusives yet.

* Nier Automata was confirmed for PC/Steam before release.
* Ace Combat 7 and Ni No Kuni 2 was confirmed for PC before release. Originally revealed at PSX 2015, a PlayStation event and didn't get confirmation of other platforms until E3.
* Nioh was stated as PS4 exclusive multiple times. Developers themselves confirmed it.
* Dragon Quest Heroes 2 PC was confirmed as launching with PS4 version.

I just don't understand this 'deceptive' marketing claim in this thread where people are assuming a lot of things or speaking 'Tales from their ass'. Some are utterly laughable claims about how Sony 'banned' developers from speaking about PC version of Nier even when the developer made a comment recently.

* Ace Combat 7 and Ni No Kuni 2 was confirmed for PC before release. Originally revealed at PSX 2015, a PlayStation event and didn't get confirmation of other platforms until E3.
* Nioh was stated as PS4 exclusive multiple times. Developers themselves confirmed it.

I just don't understand this 'deceptive' marketing claim in this thread where people are assuming a lot of things or speaking 'Tales from their ass'. Some are utterly laughable claims about how Sony 'banned' developers from speaking about PC version of Nier even when the developer made a comment recently.
O o tales they moneyhat tales of games too

MUnited83

For you.

So do you want to explain the lack of the logo on marketing materials since it was announced or not?

Mind you that this song and dance started wayyyyy before RE7 got released and cracked, so that's a pretty terrible excuse.

I legit don't understand this thread.

How is Sony not clear about their time exclusive games?

FFVII remake was labeled as a "Play it first on Playstation" that's clear.

They're publishing Nioh on PS4, I don't see what's unclear about that.

Nier might be Square related. SE Japan rarely if ever announce and release a PC game at the same time as their console counterparts. FF Type-0 is an exemple and we know Sony didn't have anything to do with that one.

As for Ni No Kuni 2 it was announced as "Debuting on PS4" which means that it's not an exclusive. Shu himself clarified that on Twitter.

ni-noo-kuni-2-not-ps4-exclusive.jpg

Moneal

that link seems to indicate that the steam release date in the trailer might not be correct and that was why it was pulled and replaced.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
And the video I posted is from last PSX, 5 months after the PC version reveal.

Given the demo is Playstation exclusive and the game itself is a Playstation exclusive at launch (no date was stated for the Steam version, and certainly no implication of simultaneous release has ever been made*) I'll give them a pass on that.

The bottom line is that there's no way Sony is strong-arming SE into anything, if there's an arrangement its by mutual consent because when all's said and done, the PC version isn't relevant to Sony's interests, only SE's.

*Prior to the video that got quickly pulled. Which could be for a multitude of reasons.

Lister

Banned

Well, they don't benefit consumers, that's for sure, but they might benefit corporations like Sony and Microsoft who would rather you not have a choice as to which platform to play a game on.

People with gaming PC's (or a competing console) who would rather play the game on that platform are stuck wondering when/if a particular game is coming out on their platform due to the lack of transparency. This is not good for those consumers who might end up playing the game on the less desirable platform, or double dipping and otherwise left in the dark. It's neutral to the consumer who only owns the console platform where the game is releasing first. Only fanboys care that a game comes out on another platform, (assuming no compromises to the game had to be made to accomodate that other platform). But of course, those same consumers ARE affected when the tables are turned and another platform is pulling the strings (as seen with the great calamity of RotTR).

Kilau

It's been a confusing generation for me when it comes to where games are available and where they end up.

Sony messaging has been obtuse.

Because they never said it was exclusive on official promo materials nor press releases, he just lied on stage.

What makes you think that Ni No Kuni 2 wasn't once a PS exclusive? Just like Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Which.

From Bandai Namco's official YouTube channel - Dec 2015:
EgSpu5.jpg

It was most likely put forward as an exclusive to Sony in 2015.

B
Square-Enix hasn't said it is a PS4 exclusive since the PC version reveal, don't try to excuse Sony on that.

I'm not. When Square isn't ready to talk about the PC port, don't expect Sony to say any different than what they have.

Kinyou

Since when is saying "Playstation 4 exclusive" not to be understood as a exclusive game?

LordKano

So, general consensus is that NiOh is a PS4 exclusive and all ?

'cause I don't see how in the world this won't come to PC at some point.

jmga

What makes you think that Ni No Kuni 2 wasn't once a PS exclusive? Just like Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Which.

From Bandai Namco's official YouTube channel - Dec 2015:
EgSpu5.jpg

It was most likely an exclusive put forward as an exclusive to Sony in 2015.

I'm sorry, where does the word "exclusive" or "only on" appear in that image?

I'm not. When Square isn't ready to talk about the PC port, don't expect Sony to say any different than what they have.

I don't expect Sony to say anything about the PC version of Nier, I just don't expect them to lie publicly about it.

meerak

Eh...

If you care about it, it's easy enough to look into. What is there to be up in arms about? It's all a bunch of marketing and PR noise.

I'm sorry, where does the word "exclusive" or "only on" appear in that image?

Many console exclusive games don't have the word exclusive appear at the end.

I don't expect Sony to say anything about the PC version of Nier, I just don't expect them to lie publicly about it.

You're just being silly now. Calling it a PlayStation exclusive in a Sony conference is not a lie, especially when their main competition is Xbox.

jmga

Since when is saying "Playstation 4 exclusive" not to be understood as a exclusive game?

Since is said by Sony.

I am not joking here, Sony has proven that they call "exclusive" games that aren't, that is why I expect NiOh and Yakuza 0 to eventually come to PC.

Lothars

So "coming holiday 2015, exclusively on Xbox" is lying, bad Microsoft.

Calling a game that is also releasing on PC "playstation exclusive" and "PS4 exclusive" is not lying, good Sony.
I can go into better detail if you would like and it has been talked about in this very thread if you care to read back but Microsoft kept saying it was exclsuive until Square came out and said it was a timed exclusive.

It would tell me that it was exclusive to PS4 but could have a PC version. Just like Xbox Exclusive would tell me that it's exclusive to Xbox but also could have a PC version like my dead rising 4 example.

Their job isnt to be transparent, their job is to put themselves and their games/console in the best possible light. Sometimes playing fast and loose with the exclusivity status, because they know that console warriors and hype train enthusiasts give entirely way too much of a shit about things like that, accomplishes exactly that. They are playing the game.

Shouldn't the actual developers or publishers of the games make this information available? It's not up to Sony or Microsoft to let you know a game that is coming to their system made by random 3rd party dev is or isn't going to another platform.

Since is said by Sony.

I am not joking here, Sony has proven that they call "exclusive" games that aren't, that is why I expect NiOh and Yakuza 0 to eventually come to PC.
when was a game labeled playstation exclusive (not playstation console exclusive) been ported to PC?

Yakuza 0 in Japan is labeled playstation exclusive and apparently it was a printing mistake on their part when when porting it to the west

Moneal

I can go into better detail if you would like and it has been talked about in this very thread if you care to read back but Microsoft kept saying it was exclsuive until Square came out and said it was a timed exclusive.

It would tell me that it was exclusive to PS4 but could have a PC version. Just like Xbox Exclusive would tell me that it's exclusive to Xbox but also could have a PC version like my dead rising 4 example.

Phil said the deal had a duration first, though he made it sound like the duration was IP related instead of specific game related. That whole thing was a mess. Especially Squares letter to PS Tomb raider fans.

jmga

Many console exclusive games don't have the word exclusive appear at the end.

But they have it somewhere in either press releases or promo materials, which isn't the case.

You're just being silly now. Calling it a PlayStation exclusive is not a lie, especially when their main competition is Xbox.

Please, explain me how calling something exclusive to your platform while it is not is not lying.

Top Bottom